Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Califlower ears & the injuries they cause.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BGv2.0
I have seen and suffered numerous injuries to the eyes, nose and lips.....BUT....."califlower" ears are somthing I have next to zero knowledge about.

What causes it? And what weakness does it cause a fighter?

I'm asking this of course due to the Kimbo Slice fight.....I had noticed the horrific looking flopping ear well before the fight started, but I'm still not certain of how the injury effected the ear.

It looked to me as if blood was coming out of the ear canal, which would mean a busted ear drum.....but the ringside guys and several posters have reffered to the ear as "exploding"....

So I'm confused...was the damage internal or external?

Also....if this guy is a professonal MMA fighter and makes his living in this way.....why would you allow yourself to have such a huge weakness...it almost seems like having the thing cut back would be deforming.....YET...advantagous in your chosen career.
BigJuicyHog
I used to wrestle, and cauliflower ear was usually caused by alot of irritation to the ear, like it rubbing on the mat repeatedly. Fluid would build up in the ear and the harden causing it to look big and distorted.
AussieLad
Yeah you'll see alot of wrestlers and the odd jiu jitsu guy with the old cauliflower ears. Its pretty fuckin ugly lol

They must have there heads down on the mat and be spinning around on it while wrestling.

I remember seeing one guy who had an ear that looked like it had been twisted off at some point coz it looked like a stub, and the other side looked normal, so he must favour one side over another when going to the matt
The CEO
You know what was strange?....I don't think Thompson grew that until AFTER the promos for the fight....it was fresh cauliflower...not completely hardened...

He should have had it drained...because as you can see...it was an easy target and a huge detriment towards him winning....
KingEugene
Califlower or not...he was still on the verge of getting knocked out before the fight was stopped. Point blank period!
STEVENSKI
Most MMA fighters have cauliflowered ears. It is caused by repeated rubbing on mats & by biceps/forearms. It is nothing special at all really.

With boxers you can tell a classy boxer by his cauliflowered ears & unblemished nose. That is caused by slipping punches all the time & the gloves rubbing the ear. Mind you that was when boxers would have 100 fight careers rather than having 30 carefully matched fights & being a "legend".
BGv2.0
The great John L. Sullivan supposedly had one hell of a set...BOTH by the end of his career.

I still don't understand what exactly happened in that fight.....if the injury was internal or external....cannot tell.

The ONLY time I ever suffered an ear injury during a fight was when a dude hand clapped both my ears.....like some shit you would see in a movie....and it was damn effective too. It pretty well ended the fight at the time.....but he could not follow up as when he did it I was grinding the back of his head into a cactus! lol

I thought it was a shitty move....but smart on his part! lol We are cool now...and he still has bumps on the back of his head from the cactus! lol
AussieLad
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Jun 4 2008, 05:10 AM) [snapback]391372[/snapback]
The great John L. Sullivan supposedly had one hell of a set...BOTH by the end of his career.

I still don't understand what exactly happened in that fight.....if the injury was internal or external....cannot tell.

The ONLY time I ever suffered an ear injury during a fight was when a dude hand clapped both my ears.....like some shit you would see in a movie....and it was damn effective too. It pretty well ended the fight at the time.....but he could not follow up as when he did it I was grinding the back of his head into a cactus! lol

I thought it was a shitty move....but smart on his part! lol We are cool now...and he still has bumps on the back of his head from the cactus! lol

LOL

If you were grinding my head into a cactus i'd be of the opinion all queensbury rules are out the door and trying any move i can think of. Including the hand clap to the testicles clapping.gif
BGv2.0
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jun 4 2008, 01:50 AM) [snapback]391378[/snapback]
LOL

If you were grinding my head into a cactus i'd be of the opinion all queensbury rules are out the door and trying any move i can think of. Including the hand clap to the testicles clapping.gif

lol....looking back now I completley see it as me being the shitass first. At the time I thought it sucked. BUT....he did do that in retaliation for me being dirty with the whole cactus thing. No doubt...it was my fault for taking it to that level. lol

BUT...when a guy is talking smack...and the back of his head is inches in front of a cactus...and he does not realize it.....it was too good to pass up! lol

it ended quickly with both of us in pain, that's for sure! lol
Imperius3
Cauliflower ear hits #1 on Google searches.

Here's some info about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauliflower_ear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYS8B43-xxo
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.