Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What should Winky Wright do to get a big name fight?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
KingEugene
Personally I think he is a threat to any big name boxer or title holder out there that is trying to secure victories to keep their names relevant or to stay on top. I've heard he's negotiated his way out of fights by asking for too much money and what not but whatever the case is I feel like he needs to get back in the ring and atleast get one more win under his belt and to make sure he hasnt lost anything so he wont jump in with a tough guy and get whooped. I would love to see him give a good beating to Kelly Pavlick but THE GHOST doesnt want any part of him. NO NO NO let me take that back, Arum doesnt want any part of Winky. It sucks how these promoters wont give the fight fans what they really want to see. I do understand this is called Prize Fighting so whatever fight brings you the most money you should take(exactly why I understand Floyds decision to fight DLH) but dang Pavlick has already said he wants to fight Winky so why not let the man do what he wants to do.

I just want to know what you good ol guys/girls think.
STEVENSKI
Winky who?

Here is a short list he may wish to consider.

Gain a personality.

Make his fights exciting to watch.

Not cry like a woman when he loses.
KingEugene
All of his recent loses have been controversial loses. If you felt like someone shitted you, you'd complain too. Besides that I think he should call out the winner of the Abraham/Miranda fight. Than Pavlick would have to face him if he still want to unify those belts.
Warlord
QUOTE(KingEugene @ Jun 5 2008, 11:15 PM) [snapback]391509[/snapback]
All of his recent loses have been controversial loses. If you felt like someone shitted you, you'd complain too. Besides that I think he should call out the winner of the Abraham/Miranda fight. Than Pavlick would have to face him if he still want to unify those belts.

His loss to Hopkins was clean, and not controverstial by any means.

As for what he should do to land a big fight, here it is:

A.) Shut the fuck up.
B.) Fight for $10, which is about all he's worth.
C.) Promise not to run from the ring crying like a little girl after he loses another close fight that he blew after deciding to coast in the championship rounds. Again.
thehype
1. He should get Oscar's name out of his mouth...he's just wasting his breath.

2. He should just quit being a baby, put the friendship aside and fight Vernon Forrest. Fuck all this bullshit about Pavlik vs. Wright being the best fight in and around the middleweight division (personally, I'd rather see Pavlik vs. Calzaghe)...Forrest vs. Wright is THE fight that should be happening...especially when you consider that BOTH of those guys beat Mosley TWICE and they're two of the fighters from that era (De La Hoya, Mosley, Vargas, Wright, Forrest) who never fought each other.

I'm sooooooooo sick of hearing Winky cry about not having an opponent when he's got a perfectly good opponent who's holding one of his old titles. Boo fuckin hoo for Winky.

+1 for MMA
-1 for Boxing

You don't get this bullshit in MMA...friends fight each other all the time. Actually...come to think of it....friends fight each other all the time in boxing too (I do believe that Byrd and McCline were good buddies). Geesh...it's just a Winky issue...weak.

Oh wait...I got another...

3. He should just quit being a baby, put the friendship aside and fight Roy Jones Jr. Both of those guys are crying for fights...damn it, just shut up and fight each other. Doesn't "Jones vs. Wright" sound so much more appealing than "Pavlik vs. Wright".

For crying out loud...this guys has options...he's just being picky and only wants to fight certain guys.

Ridiculous.
AussieLad
Mundine supposedly wants to fight winky in Oz. He might make decent dollars, but it would still be a paycut from whatever he gets fighting in the states
KingEugene
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jun 6 2008, 12:40 AM) [snapback]391510[/snapback]
His loss to Hopkins was clean, and not controverstial by any means.

As for what he should do to land a big fight, here it is:

A.) Shut the fuck up.
B.) Fight for $10, which is about all he's worth.
C.) Promise not to run from the ring crying like a little girl after he loses another close fight that he blew after deciding to coast in the championship rounds. Again.

Come on there, you sound like you just dont like Winky. A lot of people thought he won that fight. Besides that he worth way more than $10. The dude is good and a real threat, thats why nobody wants to face him.
KingEugene
QUOTE(thehype @ Jun 6 2008, 12:44 AM) [snapback]391511[/snapback]
1. He should get Oscar's name out of his mouth...he's just wasting his breath.

2. He should just quit being a baby, put the friendship aside and fight Vernon Forrest. Fuck all this bullshit about Pavlik vs. Wright being the best fight in and around the middleweight division (personally, I'd rather see Pavlik vs. Calzaghe)...Forrest vs. Wright is THE fight that should be happening...especially when you consider that BOTH of those guys beat Mosley TWICE and they're two of the fighters from that era (De La Hoya, Mosley, Vargas, Wright, Forrest) who never fought each other.

I'm sooooooooo sick of hearing Winky cry about not having an opponent when he's got a perfectly good opponent who's holding one of his old titles. Boo fuckin hoo for Winky.

+1 for MMA
-1 for Boxing

You don't get this bullshit in MMA...friends fight each other all the time. Actually...come to think of it....friends fight each other all the time in boxing too (I do believe that Byrd and McCline were good buddies). Geesh...it's just a Winky issue...weak.

Oh wait...I got another...

3. He should just quit being a baby, put the friendship aside and fight Roy Jones Jr. Both of those guys are crying for fights...damn it, just shut up and fight each other. Doesn't "Jones vs. Wright" sound so much more appealing than "Pavlik vs. Wright".

For crying out loud...this guys has options...he's just being picky and only wants to fight certain guys.

Ridiculous.

You, I, and the world all know that once you've reached a certain point in your career and skill level you dont just settle to fight anybody. It gotta be a big name. Its almost the same situation Shane is in now...he has no one to fight but he isnt going to go fight a nobody or an up and comer trying to make a name for himself. He wants a meaningful fight thats worth something. And as far as Oscar, I dont think he should call him out cause he would be the shit out of Oscar but now matter how the fight turns out, its a big money fight. As far as a draw, Oscar is out of his league but he'd whop Oscar's ass. And be honest, people dont give a damn about a Pavlick vs. Calzaghe fight...they just somebody's 0 to go.
BigG
Winky should've stayed active after the Hopkins fight. Instead he's inactive just waiting for the big fight (calling out DLH, Pavlik). He SHOULD'VE taken the Taylor rematch.
Warlord
QUOTE(KingEugene @ Jun 6 2008, 02:50 AM) [snapback]391516[/snapback]
Come on there, you sound like you just dont like Winky.

I don't.

A lot of people thought he won that fight.
No one with half a brain thinks Winky won that fight.

Besides that he worth way more than $10.

Is he?

The dude is good and a real threat, thats why nobody wants to face him.

No one wants to face him because he's a boring fighter who thinks he's worth more than he is. It reminds me of Chris Byrd and John Ruiz crying about Lennox Lewis "ducking" them. Laughable at best.
D-MARV
Winky is a cry baby but most fighters are after they lose a close fight! Bernard Hopkins, Juan Manuel Marquez, Oscar De La Hoya, Antonio Margarito... I remember at the post fight press conference between Tony And Paul Williams, Margarito was crying so much that his promoter basically told him to shut the fcuk and stop crying like a b*cth (not exactly in those words). But he was pissed that Antonio was crying.

Winky's problem is he thinks he is worth more than he is. He is worth more than $10 though...lol

I remember a time when Winky couldn't get a fight then would just go on a world tour and kick ass. Every Since Shane Mosley though he got this swagger that he is Pound 4Pound and he doesn't have to chase anyone. I would like to see Winky fight the Abraham-Miranda winner but like someone mentioned, he should have taken a fight in between.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
[quote name='KingEugene' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:49 PM' post='391504']
Personally I think he is a threat to any big name boxer or title holder out there that is trying to secure victories to keep their names relevant or to stay on top.

And that's the problem, he is too dangerous without bringing in enough bucks to make it worthwhile for guys to get in the ring for him.

Man I've got to say there isn't much love for Winky around here.

He isn't my favourite fighter but I don't think he's as boring as people make out. I enjoyed both his fights versus Mosley, liked his fight against Taylor and enjoyed the foul fest that was the Hopkins fight.

I personally think he's the gaping hole in Oscar's CV. I remember after the Vargas fight Oscar said he was willing to fight the best and if that meant Winky Wright then that's who he'd fight. I also don't remember Hopkins too keen to fight him until AFTER he'd got his 20 defenses out of the way. Howard Eastman yes, Winky Wright no.

It must suck to be that avoided especially when you punch like a girl.

However I've got to agree with most others he made a serious serious error in not taking the Taylor rematch and his career has never really recovered.
buford54
Nobody wants to fight him because he is a good fighter that can't draw flies to crap.
He makes people look bad, even if he loses he doesn't lose badly (it's ugly) and if he wins, you lose your title/name without making any money.
Winky = all risk/no reward.

That's what Floyd Mayweather used to be also. I HATE to say this, but in today's shock value culture, Winky needs to take a page out of the Floyd playbook.
Mouth off (confidently...not whining like he does now), disrespect people and their families, tell the world that you are going to punish people and knock them out (don't worry, you don't have to actually try to do that), go on wrestling/dancing shows, act like a brash/arrogant asshole, etc. Then people will watch you...it doesn't matter how boring you are. Floyd is as boring as ever, but people watch him because they believe his mouth, not his actions.
Mean Mister Mustard
This is a peculiar situation. 2 years ago Wright was the number 2 P4P fighter in the world. Now he loses a competitive fight to Hops and all of a sudden it's like he doesn't exist. I've never been a fan of his but it is outrageous to see a fighter of his caliber basically sit around doing nothing.

Winky should just take whichever fight his promoter gives him, go to Australia and beat up Mundine. Otherwise he'll be back in Monroe Michigan fighting Bronco Mckart for a fourth time on ESPN.
buford54
I'd like to see anyone beat up Mundine. I hope Winky does it.
I like Wink as a fighter, but he complains too much. Complaining isn't becoming for a fighter.
thehype
QUOTE(KingEugene @ Jun 6 2008, 03:54 AM) [snapback]391518[/snapback]
You, I, and the world all know that once you've reached a certain point in your career and skill level you dont just settle to fight anybody. It gotta be a big name. Its almost the same situation Shane is in now...he has no one to fight but he isnt going to go fight a nobody or an up and comer trying to make a name for himself. He wants a meaningful fight thats worth something. And as far as Oscar, I dont think he should call him out cause he would be the shit out of Oscar but now matter how the fight turns out, its a big money fight. As far as a draw, Oscar is out of his league but he'd whop Oscar's ass. And be honest, people dont give a damn about a Pavlick vs. Calzaghe fight...they just somebody's 0 to go.

So are you telling me that Vernon Forrest and Roy Jones Jr. aren't big names?

dntknw.gif

You, I and the world knows that beggars can't be choosers and if you ask me, Winky is doing a lot of begging so instead of being picky, he should fight whoever he can get and let his actions speak louder than words. He had an opportunity to fight Miranda, but he didn't want to take it unless Miranda came down to 160. He could've fought Kessler, but he didn't want that fight either. Seems to me like the only guys Winky is interested in fighting are Oscar and Pavlik...and understandably so as those two fights would probably be his biggest payday...but seeing as how neither of those guys are options, he needs to quit saying their names and move on. Miranda, Kessler, Abraham, Forrest and Jones Jr. are five different guys that he could have made fights with if he persued them in the same manner in which he's persued Oscar and Pavlik...he just chooses not to fight them so I have a difficult time of feeling sorry for him.

As for nobody giving a damn about Pavlik vs. Calzaghe...I think you're wrong about that one...I think a lot more people would tune in to watch that fight than they would to see Winky fight. Two middleclass guys...both undefeated...both caucasian...one's the middleweight champion and the other is the super middleweight AND light heavyweight champion...I'm sorry, but I just don't see your logic in saying people don't give a damn about that fight.

dntknw.gif
thehype
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 6 2008, 03:58 AM) [snapback]391519[/snapback]
In reality, that would be nice, but to be honest. If being friends with Vernon is a problem, I think I actually prefer if he can't put his friendship aside. The last thing anyone wants is to see a fight that is more boring than usual because it's his friend. If he could put his friendship aside then great, but if being his friend is a problem then he is doing the right thing in not fighting him.

If they were both sitting on top of the world right now, then I'd fear a boring fight, but honestly, they both have their backs against the walls right now and neither one of them can afford a loss. They're both getting old and really, this is their last opportunity to make a run at big money fights...I don't think either one of them would want to lose that fight. I think the fight would turn out much better than expected.

Guys like Winky really make you appreciate the Arturo Gattis and Micky Wards of the boxing world.
KingEugene
Some of these so called boxing fans are killing me. First off what ever happen to boxing being the sweet science, being tactical, having a game plan, and not just going in there to slug it out. If you want to call that boring then you go right ahead. Forgive me for enjoying people actually box smart and think when they are in the ring. Thats what Winky does, call him what you want but you got to give him that. Hell I actually enjoyed watching his fight with Bernard Hopkins. Hell I dont like Hopkins as a fighter but I enjoy watching him box and listening to his interviews because he is a smart man (believe it or not but he is) and he boxes like it. Yes these fighters are so called boring but if you make a mistake in the ring with them they will bring excitement into the ring on your behalf. Who gives a damn abut a straight up slugfest when boxers go in there and beat each other senseless and end up like Tommy Hearns. I like to see a good smart fight, thats another reason why I like Mayweather.

As far as Winky not fighting his friends, why should he if he doesnt want to. Hell like someone said earlier if friends get in the ring (in boxing) more than likely they arent going to be trying to hurt each other, just out point each other. Call him a cry baby if you want but put yourself in that mans shoes, you wouldnt degrade yourself and take a bum risk just to get some wins under your belt. If you want the best then call out the best. Eventually somebody will man up and take the fight. I do agree he need a fight first againts a good opponent before he gets a Championship fight but dont play the man like he is a nobody. Like it was stated earlier when he was winning two years ago everybody was all on his nuts. Now nobody wants to show him any love like he fell off.

I hope he gets the winner out of Miranda/Abraham or go and whoop Mundines ass before he gets a title shot though just he can shut some of the dumb ass critics up.
Method
He should stay away from Krispy Kreme and put the foot on the gas in the 12th.

I like Wink, and he's skilled, but he blew a couple of opportunities. But I don't think we've seen the last of em. can he be boring as fuck sometimes? Yeah, but that Taylor fight was a barn burner set at a blistering pace.
rusty_trombone
change his name, and stop complaining like a bitch after every fight.
thehype
QUOTE(KingEugene @ Jun 6 2008, 08:23 PM) [snapback]391603[/snapback]
As far as Winky not fighting his friends, why should he if he doesnt want to. Hell like someone said earlier if friends get in the ring (in boxing) more than likely they arent going to be trying to hurt each other, just out point each other.

Why? Because he claims that there's no one to fight when, in fact, he could fight Forrest or Roy Jones Jr....two big names, two big paydays and yet two guys he doesn't want to fight.

BEGGARS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS!

The friend excuse is pretty weak when friends fight all the time in boxing. I don't think Gatti and Ward were trying to outpoint each other...neither were Shane and Oscar.

Lame excuse.

I do agree he need a fight first againts a good opponent before he gets a Championship fight but dont play the man like he is a nobody.

Okay...then who would you propose he fight? Who would be a "good opponent" before he gets a championship fight? Tarvis Simms perhaps? He could easily get that fight if he just called his boy leon since that's his advisor.

Like it was stated earlier when he was winning two years ago everybody was all on his nuts. Now nobody wants to show him any love like he fell off.

I don't think anyone was ever "all on his nuts". He had two great wins against Mosley and then stunk the joint up by just jabbing Trinidad to death instead of knocking him out. Had he done that, then maybe everybody would have been on his nuts, but then he had a lackluster showing against Contender star Sam Soliman, a draw with Taylor (although I did think he won that fight), then he cried about the rematch, then fought a forgettable fight with Ike Quartey (honestly, how much of that fight does anyone really remember) and then lost to Hops. His career has really declined after those two wins over Mosley so I don't know who exactly was all over his nuts other than leon.

laugh.gif

I hope he gets the winner out of Miranda/Abraham or go and whoop Mundines ass before he gets a title shot though just he can shut some of the dumb ass critics up.

He could have fought Miranda. When Kessler pulled out of the Miranda fight, Miranda was calling Winky out, but Winky didn't want to fight him at 168.

Boooooooooooooooo!

Winky's fucking up his own career and he only has himself to blame.
KingEugene
QUOTE(thehype @ Jun 7 2008, 12:37 AM) [snapback]391640[/snapback]
Winky's fucking up his own career and he only has himself to blame.

Say what you want...I FEEL like he deserves the big name fight HE wants and not what everybody wants for him. He's payed his just dues and he gave many other fighters there shot when he was the champ so I'm like Cotto fans towards Mayweather, I wont feel like Pavlick is as good as he's said to be until he beats Winky. I aint even the biggest Winky fan but I like his style. He dont have to go in and knock you out and have a slug fest in every fight. He BOX! Thats my opinion and no one has to agree with it!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(KingEugene @ Jun 7 2008, 06:13 AM) [snapback]391647[/snapback]
I wont feel like Pavlick is as good as he's said to be until he beats Winky. I aint even the biggest Winky fan but I like his style. He dont have to go in and knock you out and have a slug fest in every fight. He BOX! Thats my opinion and no one has to agree with it!

I don't think many do agree with you.

There is no reason for Pavlik to fight Stinky. Stinky fought Taylor & got a draw. Pavlik beat the tar out of him & then dominated him in the rematch clearly winning. What has Stinky done to deserve a shot at the champ? Lose to Hopkins? This shit ain't WWE where you lose & still get a shot at the champ, hang on a second that does happen in the world of PBFraud & Loser Judah but hey he is a WWE star so........
KingEugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jun 7 2008, 03:21 AM) [snapback]391651[/snapback]
I don't think many do agree with you.

There is no reason for Pavlik to fight Stinky. Stinky fought Taylor & got a draw. Pavlik beat the tar out of him & then dominated him in the rematch clearly winning. What has Stinky done to deserve a shot at the champ? Lose to Hopkins? This shit ain't WWE where you lose & still get a shot at the champ, hang on a second that does happen in the world of PBFraud & Loser Judah but hey he is a WWE star so........

Never said they had to agree...I said that was my opinion.
BigG
Pavlik didn't dominate Taylor in the rematch. It was really close and competitive.
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 7 2008, 02:27 PM) [snapback]391677[/snapback]
Pavlik didn't dominate Taylor in the rematch. It was really close and competitive.

You beat me to it Big George!

Stevenski,
what freakin fight were you watching? Pavlik did not dominate Taylor in the second fight.

He Did Knock Taylor out in the first fight but after Taylor rocked his ass. You make seem as if Taylor was some flea that Pavlik Brushed off.

But back on topic! Winky should see what's up with Oscar now and do everything in his power to make that fight happen...LOL, Yea Right!

Winky should fight Miranda-Abraham winner or fight the Sturm-Griffin winner. He needs to get a title though. Then the Pavlik fight will be a must happen! But then again Pavlik might be on the move to fight Calzaghe... dntknw.gif

STEVENSKI
I was wasted at the time & what I should have said was like PBF vs DLH it was a close but very clear decison to Pavlik. Winky has done NOTHING to warrant any form of big payday the last few years.
The Original MrFactor
I wouldnt mind seeing Winky in with Sergio Mora at this point. I'd like to see how Wright fares against Mora.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Winky
Guys I finally found Winky Wright!

Nah for real though, I've always liked Wright as a fighter, and he always wants to face the best. He really isn't all that boring to me either, he doesn't run or do anything like that. The fight against Soliman was pretty good, his fight against Taylor was good, and I've thought his other fights were good too. I like Sergio Mora, but Wright would beat Mora. It's a match I can see happening if Mora doesn't get the DLH fight like i hear he might. Pavlik should of fought him, but thats not his fault Arum ran from him like a disease. It's tough luck that he's been inactive since last summer, but he'll get something.
thehype
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jun 9 2008, 10:56 AM) [snapback]391942[/snapback]
It's tough luck that he's been inactive since last summer, but he'll get something.

See...this is the one statement that I keep disagreeing with. It's not "tough luck" that he's been inactive...it's just bad career advice...it's his own fault...he was offered fights with Sturm, Kessler and Miranda, but he didn't want any of those fights.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(thehype @ Jun 9 2008, 05:55 PM) [snapback]391970[/snapback]
See...this is the one statement that I keep disagreeing with. It's not "tough luck" that he's been inactive...it's just bad career advice...it's his own fault...he was offered fights with Sturm, Kessler and Miranda, but he didn't want any of those fights.

Harkens back to him refusing the split for a 2nd Taylor fight.
D-MARV
Rumor has it that Winky-Mayorga are in discussion.

I don't have a source so I dont know how true this is. Has anyone else heard?
rusty_trombone
Maybe Bronco McKart would fight him again, what the hell? why not lace 'em up and fight him for the 73rd time? I'm sure McKart's demands wouldn't be too high, maybe a box of krispy kreme and tickets to Hershey Park. But I really doubt Winky would give up his krispy kreme.

oh well, another fight stalled at the negotiating table. dntknw.gif
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 6 2008, 03:30 AM) [snapback]391523[/snapback]
Winky should've stayed active after the Hopkins fight. Instead he's inactive just waiting for the big fight (calling out DLH, Pavlik). He SHOULD'VE taken the Taylor rematch.

Good Point looks like that came back to bite him in his rear
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.