Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd announces his retirment???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
jp
Has anyone else heard anything about this.....Btalk is reporting this on their frontpage.
BigG
Eaner at Maxboxing also reported it....

If it's true, it sucks because everyone wants to see him fight Miguel Cotto; the biggest challenge of his career. Way to retire Floyd without fighting your biggest challenge
jp
Considering how money hungry he is I would be amazed if he walked away from another huge payday
Method
Mktg Ploy to make more money.

Painfully en vogue right now.

"Well, they'd have to offer me an absurd amount of money because I am retired".

GTFOOMF with that bullshit.
treyes7123
Yeah, just heard it on ESPN.

I'm disappointed, I was truly hoping for Cotto and Mayweather to go at in the future.

jp
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 6 2008, 04:29 PM) [snapback]391569[/snapback]
Eaner at Maxboxing also reported it....

If it's true, it sucks because everyone wants to see him fight Miguel Cotto; the biggest challenge of his career. Way to retire Floyd without fighting your biggest challenge

I originally saw it on the maxboards too.....I thought he was just fucking around, then I saw the same email that floyd sent on Btalks page, can anyone confirm?
Byrd Man
I think something's up. There's ZERO Chance of him walking away from that huge payday against DLH unless something behind the scenes forced his hand.

We all know he's all about the money, so there's no rationale behind retiring before that fight.

Something's fishy here.
BigG
I also find it hard to believe that Mayweather's retiring...BUT...if it's trure, how can Floyd, currently the FACE of boxing, the best P4Per who's still very much in his prime, retire without fighting the best fighters in his weight? (Cotto, Mosley, Margarito). I used to defend Floyd but come on this is BS. I guess we can call Manny Pacquiao the P4P king now.

I still think DLH rematch will be his last fight.
jp
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 6 2008, 04:30 PM) [snapback]391571[/snapback]
Mktg Ploy to make more money.

Painfully en vogue right now.

"Well, they'd have to offer me an absurd amount of money because I am retired".

GTFOOMF with that bullshit.

sounds about right....doesnt make sense for him to walk away from another easy paycheck
gods son
de la hoya vs cotto i guess???

alaganza
I too find this hard to believe.

But if it is true, good for Floyd. The problem is there will always be the next big challenge.
I could be wrong but I feel the boxing public would rather see a fighter end his career with a loss.

As much as I can't stand Floyd, if this is his decision then good for him.
Retire yourself. Don't let boxing retire you.
EpTXCHAMP
espn is reporting the GDP is gonna announce a "big fight" sometime next week for oscar to replace floyd but who's available????

cotto, margarito, zab, are booked unless they stay within the stable and go for a third mosley fight which would be pointless but I dont see another big name out there?
JD
Floyd retired from wrestling?

Oh well.
D-MARV
Im heartbroken!

This can't be true. He has to fight De La Hoya than Cotto, then he can retire.

On a Side Note:
I heard a little rumor that negotiations between Floyd and Oscar were not going Floyd's way. This could be a stunt to gain more money!
JD
Mosley - DLH III...

Douchebag
let him retire. Cotto doesn't need him anyway.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Jun 6 2008, 06:54 PM) [snapback]391586[/snapback]
Mosley - DLH III...

Those were my thoughts!
JD
The only other potential opponent I see here is DLH - Trinidad II.

Even now, it would be a big deal...but what weight would it be at?
Jack 1000
My theory is that "Mr, Moneybags" or his advisers got word of the negative PR that Mayweather-Delahoya II was getting, with most likely the same results as the first match, just more one-sided for Floyd winning this time. Opinions may have been that people didn't want to shell out another $60 PPV for a waltz. They saw the potential for a weak PPV, and Floyd said, "No, I have nothing to prove any more." (In his mind.) so he retired.

Think about this, who out there really wanted to see Mayweather-Delahoya again?

Jack
JD
I don't think Floyd gives a fuck if the public approves of his opponents or not, as long as he gets paid.

A Mayweather - DLH rematch would have done 1.5 million buys at worst.
PR316
I find this hard to believe. As much money as he can make fighting the likes of De La Hoya and Cotto and he's gonna walk away??... I think its bullshit. But then again, I usually don't take any of these fighters seriously when they announce their "retirement".

I think its a ploy to get leverage in negotiations. But if he really IS retired, then good for him because too many fighters stay in the game too long fighting when they shouldn't be.
BGv2.0
So...."Money".....don't want to make money? dntknw.gif

I have 4 words for PBF.....GET THA FUCK OUT!

How will I ever replace endless amounts of shit talking followed by pitter patter back peddling boring fights.

lol

For me personally....I'm glad, IMHO a guy like PBF that is supposedly the "face" of boxing...does nothing but tarnish the sport by being involved in all the BS nonsense like Dancing and WWE.

I like a fighter like Cotto.....performs his craft in the ring.....then you don't hear about them again until their next fight is announced.

Although I do give PBF credit for having natural ability.....I will not miss him at all if he stays gone.
BigG
I think DLH will end up fighting and dominating Hatton now that Floyds retired.
thehype
I thought he was already retired.

dntknw.gif
KookedKrack
i haven't heard this before .....its mandatory for every boxer to at least retire 3 times
BGv2.0
How about this for a $$ making stratagy?

PBF "retires".....in that time Cotto beats Margarito and maybe one other high profile fight...gets some of PBF's belts.....gets more exposure.....THEN..BOOM 2 years later PBF unretires to fight Cotto now considered to be "tha man" and even more well known.

Should he beat Cotto...he then has the built in excuse to avoid a fight with Margarito, in a sense letting Cotto do his job for him. All the while getting a nice rest at a very young age.

Gives his brittle old lady hands awhile to heal.

I don't think he's done.

Method
You want to convince me you're really calling it quits? Take out a brand new razor blade, and cut 8 inch verticle slits up both writsts while lying in a warm bath tub...while Leonard Ellorbe is out fetching a bucket of KFC.

OMFG, if his "Press Release" wasn't so Telenovela-esque. Give me a fucking break.

It is with a heavy heart that I write you this message today.
*laughs and elbows Ellorbe in the ribs to share the in the appreciated dramatization. Ellorbe points out that it's spelled "write" and not "rite"*

This decision was not an easy one for me to make

...But necessary for me to squeeze some more money out of HBO, GBP and anyone else, because its proven that I can't carry a fight promotion without a partner named Hatton, DLH, or Gatti, regardless of people trying to babmboozle you all into thinking I am a corssover star and house hold name.

However, these past few years have been extremely difficult for me to find the desire and joy to continue in the sport.
...you, my fans, have absolutely no idea how miserable it is to continue to do this when I am making solid 8-figure money 2-3 times a year. If you only knew how horrific it is to have to run, do sit ups shadow box, and spar with Baldoimir. Those soldiers in Iraq getting limbs blown off for 30K a year have it easy. Try training for an entire 8 weeks for a $30M payday to fight Oscar.

after many sleepless nights and intense soul-searching I realized I could no longer base my decision on anything but my own personal happiness, which I no longer could find

It's tough to get any sleep when I have high priced hookers suckin on my knob every night in my Vegas Oasis. Its also tough to find happiness when you're an insecure little bitch.

So I have finally made up my mind, spoken to my family, particularly my mother
Because Leonard advised me (at a 10% advisory fee) that a crackhead is always the best person to go to for advice, plus I listened to Tupac's "Dear Momma" on repeat 20 times in a row in my Maybach one night5 and had an epiphany.

I am sorry I have to leave the sport at this time, knowing I still have my God-given abilities to succeed and future multi-million dollar paydays ahead, including the one right around the corner.
But this is the ONLY negotiating ploy I can play at this point. They won't pay me DLH money to fight a guy like Forbes, and I can't command DLH money by fighting DLH. Not too mention, God forbid, the tougher fights against Cotto and/or Margarito would be the real fights, and fuck that at this point.

But there comes a time when money doesn't matter.
Or at least a time when you have to state that, so people will believe, and hence try and throw even more at you to see how much it takes...

Method
Continued...

I just can't do it anymore.
For less than $50,000,000. Despite the fact that I fucked my Uncle ROger out of a big payday he would have received for training Forbes to fight Oscar. Now he gets no more, and lost on that one.

Finally, I want to personally thank all of my fans for their loyalty and dedication as my career comes to a close. I always believed that their enthusiasm and support helped carry me to victory
Or rather, thank the fans of Hatton, DLH, and Gatti, without their support for my opponents , helped carry me to the bank.

It was a great joy to have fought for all of you.
It was a great joy to have bamboozled all of you.

Now I hope you understand my decision
Of course we do. It's a complete bullshit ploy to attempt to gasrner more money out of the 2-3 solid fights you must fight in order to enhance a pretty weak legacy (in comparison to your perceived greatness).

JD - Loved the comment. "He retired from wrestling? Schucks".
PB_EDDIE
^^^^^^

Wow ... very well put Method.

If his retirement was for real, i would say good riddance. Now the Real fighters can fight the real fights!

But since its a Painfully obvious money- grubbing scheme, i have to say Floyd Mayweather is Pure Garbage- But what else is new right?
KingEugene
I like Floyd and I'm glad he has retired. Of course I would have liked to see him face Cotto but hell if your heart isnt in it anymore you needs to get out before you get hurt. I dont want to see him end up like my boy Roy. And as far as the money...you think he really cares? I know he talks about it all the time but he has mad money. He probably wants to make money else where now.

Personally I think its just a stunt to wait around til Cotto becomes a huge draw (bigger than what he is now) then come out of retirement for a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee payday fight, whoop Cotto's ass and call it quits again. Please dont be like Jones Jr., Sugar Ray Leonard, and Ali...boxing when they should have retired when their legacy was sealed.

As far has Oscar...dont really give a shit if he retires or not. Hell if he doesnt fight either Cotto or Trinidad I could give a shit what he does and please dont fight Hatton. That would be like fighting Forbes again.
Method
I know he talks about it all the time but he has mad money. He probably wants to make money else where now.

Go tell that to Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield.

For the last few years, industry folk and those around Holyfield himself taking about how much money he has and how financial problems had nothing to do with his desire to regain the titles. Now, this week, his house is being foreclosed on and he owes his lawn boy $550,000.

Me thinks we could soon see he and MC Hammer tap-dancing for dollars in an Atlanta subway station.
KingEugene
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 6 2008, 08:50 PM) [snapback]391606[/snapback]
Go tell that to Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield.

For the last few years, industry folk and those around Holyfield himself taking about how much money he has and how financial problems had nothing to do with his desire to regain the titles. Now, this week, his house is being foreclosed on and he owes his lawn boy $550,000.

Me thinks we could soon see he and MC Hammer tap-dancing for dollars in an Atlanta subway station.

My response to that is....."Be Smart with your MONEY!" Now you tell Tyson and Holyfield that.
PR316
I'm actually glad this backfired on De La Hoya. Now he can man up and face Cotto in December for real.
Col Reb
I was so pissed when I saw this news on ESPN. I want to see Floyd get KTFO so much, and I actually was looking forward to seeing Roger paired against Pops Mayweather. Oh well, boxing will be much better off without him. I just wish he was not retiring undefeated. I don't want to have to hear him do interviews about being undefeated and the greatest for the next couple of decades.
Imperius3
Fellas, haven't we heard all of this before? This is the second time now that Mayweather has announced a "retirement".

He will be back. They ALWAYS come back. All "retired" boxers seem to go into boxing withdrawal after a while. I guess because they've been attached to it for so long and have devoted so much time to it. Then they come back to get their fix. With Mayweather though, you can bet this is more of a money ploy than anything.
Method
Yeah, how the fuck could this have backfired on DLH? Now if MAyweather comes bacl to the table, DLH can say, "Well, we no longer want to pay you $30M. Now we'll offer you $20.

See the MSFT for YHOO dealings.

....."Be Smart with your MONEY!" Now you tell Tyson and Holyfield that.

Try telling Floyd that instead, while he still has some.
PR316
Well I think it backfired on him in the sense that he doesn't get that record breaking pay day. And it pushes him into a corner now because if Cotto beats Margarito, then fans are gonna press De La Hoya for that fight, and thats a fight Oscar wouldn't take because he wanted to fight Forbes instead.

I'm just happy De La Hoya doesn't get another shot at Mayweather because he didn't do anything the first time to deserve it.
Mean Mister Mustard
The fucker will be back either before or after he's broke.

It would have been nice if he would have come in with an original lie for his retirement. Something like: Doctors tell me that my right hands is in such a bad state that it could become useless for the rest of my life.

Or: I have AIDS, Caner of the lungs, kidneys and ovaries plus I have tourettes syndrome and SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS FAGGOT COCKSUCKER! I'm sorry the tourettes kicked in.

That would have made his eventual comeback even more awesome, like SRL's coming back from a detached retina and beating Hagler. Mayweather says he wants to be an entertainer, well he's going to have to come up with better retirement letters than this one.
JD
Backfired on Oscar?

If anything, this ploy will cost Floyd the Goldie fight, and in turn, backfire on him.

Spyder
That's right...fighting DLH is like winning the Lotto. Fighting Floyd on the other hand, more like the pick 3.
Boxingjunkie
I cant see Oscar fighting Cotto. This is not a good fight for Oscar. I see him fighting Mosley or maybe Hatton at a catch weight. Until I see someone else wearing Floyds belt around their waist, I wont believe he is retired. We all know how the WBC is about crap like this. Vitali ring a bell.
PR316
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 7 2008, 02:01 AM) [snapback]391625[/snapback]
I think you have things backwards. DLH getting another shot at Mayweather? DLH gave Mayweather a shot at him, and Mayweather had the opportunity to have another shot at DLH. The title doesn't mean much, all about the money. Mayweather isn't giving anyone a shot at anything, all Oscar.

Maybe your right. But bottom line is that I don't wanna see that crap again with Mayweather and De La Hoya. We saw them waltz once and I think thats enough.

Oscar really should retire unless he's gonna face a top fighter be it anywhere between 140 and 154. He can face the likes of Forrest, Cotto, Margarito, Hatton(If he can come back sucessfully).

IMHO, Mayweather will be back probably in 2009 once he sees that he's not quite the celebrity he thinks he is. By then Cotto will probably be seen as "The Man" and that will be enough to bring him out.
KingEugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 6 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]391626[/snapback]
Or: I have AIDS, Caner of the lungs, kidneys and ovaries plus I have tourettes syndrome and SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS FAGGOT COCKSUCKER! I'm sorry the tourettes kicked in.

LMAO you are a damn trip!
streetlion1
A true act of cowardice!! My view on this is PBF cared only about his undefeated record. He saw the style DLH was using with his dad and knew Cotto was on the horizon and got cold feet. He will go down as a good fighter...but over-rated because he talked the talk but couldnt walk the walk when it came to steppin in with the best fighters in the world. I saw it coming the whole time but thought he would've at least took a 2nd DLH payday first.
sweetchuck
If Mayweather is really retired he might be known as one of the greatest talents of all times. Maybe at lightweight and Jr Lightweight he can be considered as a great one in those divisions, but he didn't do enough to be considered a great welterweight. Due to his style, Floyd could fight 100 fights, retire undefeated and there would be the same response to his retirement. Floyd's biggest problem was lack of a killer instinct. He would have a fighter hurt and would rarely go for a knockout, especially as he went up in weight. We all are wondering if this is real or just a ploy and right now we can't really tell, but look at Lennox Lewis, no one believed him until recently. I think it's going to take a few years before we know the real answer to whether or not Mayweather stays retired.

You know, the one fight Mayweather chased was DLH and now that he's been there done that, maybe there is little desire to comeback. Look at Roy Jones after winning the heavyweight title, Lennox Lewis after beating Tyson. It is hard to get up and fight when you have accomplished the big accomplishment you wanted. That's why a lot of fighters lose a world title after one defense.

If Floyd made $50 million in fights last year and if he really made $20 million for that wrestling appearance why would he have to worry about money? Mayweather's been making seven figures a fight for a very long time. Mayweather has connections in the entertain business and the plan has been for him to go into entertainment promotions. He'll make more doing that than he ever will in the ring.

Tyson's still go a few million and his billionaire friend is helping him out. Evander has money, it's just no liquid. I'm sure he's not as broke as that article made it out to be. They both are doing better than most of us.
treyes7123
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jun 6 2008, 07:37 PM) [snapback]391631[/snapback]
IMHO, Mayweather will be back probably in 2009 once he sees that he's not quite the celebrity he thinks he is. By then Cotto will probably be seen as "The Man" and that will be enough to bring him out.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully Cotto completely cleans out the division and finally we'll get to see him and Floyd.
kidbazooka1
This is all just a ploy to get more money out of the DLH fight.
The Ring Dictator
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jun 7 2008, 09:46 AM) [snapback]391655[/snapback]
This is all just a ploy to get more money out of the DLH fight.

Oh yeah.

I don't believe a word he's saying... Mayweather jr. will, without a shadow of a doubt, fight again. Maybe not this year, but certainly in 2009 or somewhere down the line. This is only tactics to get more money.

'Money' won't cash out just yet. That's guaranteed.
ROLL DEEP
He ain't retiring yet.

Like a lot of people are saying......It's a ploy to get more money from his up-and-coming fight(s).

DLH and Cotto hopefully.
JD
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 7 2008, 03:01 AM) [snapback]391649[/snapback]
I'm pretty sure he didn't and it wasn't close to that figure.

He didn't make $20 mill, you are correct. It was just a marketing ploy by the WWE...what he made as closer to $5 mill from what I recall.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.