Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working Out
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Bill The Butcher
Hey, I'm just curious on what other people's workouts are or what activities you do to stay in shape. What are your personal goals? Maybe someone has some good advice. Share your workout.

For myself, I exercise 6 days a week.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are light cardio days. I usually just spend a total of 45 minutes doing cardio during these days. 15 minutes walking on the treadmill with an incline. 15 minutes on a elliptical. And 15 minutes on the stationary bike. I never exert myself when I do cardio as you can see, I save that for the weightlifting days.

Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday are heavy lifting days:

Bench, Squat, Dead lift, Military Press, Bent Over Rows, Pull Ups/Chin Ups, and Dips. I try to just stick to compound lifts. Once in a while I will throw in an isolation workout like curls, triceps pull downs, etc. just for the hell of it.

I also try and go to the driving range and golf course once a week, especially during nice weather. Sometimes money or weather will keep me away from this activity. Even though I suck at golf, it is still fun. I'm also going to start hiking during the summer.

One of these days I'm going to get a hold and control of my diet. I eat like a pig.

Warlord
Fucking is all I do to stay in shape.
Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jun 7 2008, 08:31 PM) [snapback]391728[/snapback]

Ah, I see. That's why Wanderlei Silva is in such a slump in the UFC. Makes sense now.
BigG
Jogging and Boxing workout in the gym 5 times a day.
Spyder
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jun 7 2008, 09:31 PM) [snapback]391728[/snapback]

Yeah, but what do you do when the sheep aren't in the mood?
Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 7 2008, 11:04 PM) [snapback]391812[/snapback]
I train 5 days a week and have a game of indoor soccer every week.

Right on, it's always nice to have a sports related activity to throw in there once a week. It is fun and gets you away from that daily grind of cardio/lifting.

Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 7 2008, 11:12 PM) [snapback]391815[/snapback]
Jogging and Boxing workout in the gym 5 times a day.

Just curious, do you have a home boxing gym or are you a member of a local boxing gym with trainers?

Also, was just wondering why you don't have any weight lifting in your workout routine? Weight lifting would help with strength, speed, fat loss, etc. Or are you doing push ups, sit ups, wall sits, pull ups, etc. for your strength training?
PR316
Boxing work out and running for me, Monday through Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night play soccer/futbol or basketball with friends My biggest problem is diet but down here in South Florida, its hard to get that down under control.
PR316
QUOTE(Bill The Butcher @ Jun 8 2008, 06:24 PM) [snapback]391868[/snapback]
Just curious, do you have a home boxing gym or are you a member of a local boxing gym with trainers?

I work out at Punch Fitness in Deerfield Beach, Florida. Billy Padden trains some young guys there(Very cool guy), Jeff Mayweather I've seen there a few times. Met Ricardo Mayorga there before his fight with Vargas. Sultan Ibragimov trains there, Miguel Cotto has been there a couple of times. Lots of MMA fighters train there.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Bill The Butcher @ Jun 7 2008, 06:38 PM) [snapback]391705[/snapback]
Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday are heavy lifting days:

Bench, Squat, Dead lift, Military Press, Bent Over Rows, Pull Ups/Chin Ups, and Dips. I try to just stick to compound lifts. Once in a while I will throw in an isolation workout like curls, triceps pull downs, etc. just for the hell of it.

After 30....and a hectic job....it has become a total act of sheer will to get my ass out there 5 days a week. I go Sunday-Thursday....weekends are for me to work around the house or go out.

Sunday, Monday and Wed, I jog at the track.

Tuesday and Thursday are lifting days.

I've really streamlined lifting.....I used to a do a shit load like you do now.....but not anymore! lol

A bit of advice....knock out the squats.....replace it with a leg lift on a machine. Squats are evil and vile on your knees and lower back....they are the one lift that IMHO should be banned from HS compitition.

The muscle they build are not worth the bone they eat away.....there are too many alternatives to that particular lift, that can get the same results without the damage.

I have my own gym at home.....if you take the money it takes to stock your own and compare that to years of gym memebership....unless you have a really cheap gym membership....the price is usually lower to DIY.
Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Jun 8 2008, 07:02 PM) [snapback]391891[/snapback]
I have my own gym at home.....if you take the money it takes to stock your own and compare that to years of gym memebership....unless you have a really cheap gym membership....the price is usually lower to DIY.

I wish I had my own home gym. But currently I'm renting an old house with no garage. I already told my fiance when we buy a house, I'm turning the garage into a gym. Surprisingly she agreed. Well, for now. I go to a fairly small gym, but has all the equipment I need. I pay $23 a month. Not as bad as some gym memberships.

And I used to be afraid of squats, I never did them back in high school. I didn't want to injure myself with bad form, so I stuck to just doing leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, etc. But the more and more I read different websites such as Menshealth, a lot of people claim that squats are the exercise that is good for you and the leg extensions are bad for you. The way the machines are set up, it is unnatural for your legs to move that way.
BigG
QUOTE(Bill The Butcher @ Jun 8 2008, 06:24 PM) [snapback]391868[/snapback]

Also, was just wondering why you don't have any weight lifting in your workout routine? Weight lifting would help with strength, speed, fat loss, etc. Or are you doing push ups, sit ups, wall sits, pull ups, etc. for your strength training?

I go to a gym with trainers of course but I do have a heavybag at home which I use sometimes. I lift weights sometimes but I don't wanna do it as I'm scared I might lose hand speed..lol..not sure if I will but I don't do it excessively. I mostly just do pull ups, sit ups etc for strenght training.
Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 8 2008, 08:18 PM) [snapback]391900[/snapback]
I always do squats, I was the same because you have some heavy weight and your back isn't straight for a little, you can hurt your back. But for the most part, squats are great and I do them a lot. Deadlifts are very good as well, probably the single best exercise.

Yeah, they say Squats and Dead lifts are key to strength training. Dead lifts work a variety of muscles. Great exercise. Dead lifts were another exercise I avoided back in the day. Man, do I regret that.

Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 8 2008, 08:30 PM) [snapback]391905[/snapback]
I lift weights sometimes but I don't wanna do it as I'm scared I might lose hand speed..lol..not sure if I will but I don't do it excessively. I mostly just do pull ups, sit ups etc for strenght training.

Yeah, when I was younger I trained off and on in a boxing gym, and a lot of people thought that weightlifting would slow you down. It's a myth. It actually would increase your speed.

Spyder
QUOTE(Bill The Butcher @ Jun 8 2008, 10:48 PM) [snapback]391910[/snapback]
Yeah, when I was younger I trained off and on in a boxing gym, and a lot of people thought that weightlifting would slow you down. It's a myth. It actually would increase your speed.

It depends how you lift. If you lift heavy with low reps: strength goes up, while endurance and speed will go down. If you lift light with high reps: speed and endurance will go up, while strength will go down. You just have to find the right combination that will work for you.

It's difficult to juggle both boxing and weightlifting, but as Mackie Shilstone has shown us, it is possible.
ROLL DEEP
I do various fighting sport training 3/4 times a week (boxing, kickboxing, karate and wrestling)

Weights about 3 times a week, jogging about 3 times a week and have recently started swimming once a week too for fitness.

Monday I normally train in a combat sport for an hour or so, then go do weights after.
Tuesday I go swimming
Wednesday I train in a combat sport for an hour then do weights or running
Thursday I go running
Friday I do weights/combat sports
Saturday I train in a combat sport
and Sunday I either rest or do weights.

Depending on how I'm feeling I'll either throw a rest day in or an easy session.
Warlord
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jun 8 2008, 01:02 PM) [snapback]391863[/snapback]
Yeah, but what do you do when the sheep aren't in the mood?

I don't know, got some advice for me?
Method
Workout somewhere between 5-7 days a week (rarely 7, rarely under 5).

3-4 of those days a week I do 2-a-days (i.e. go to the boxing gym in the AM/run in the PM). Trying to shed LB's and cut up (dropped ~20 in 6 weeks, seem to be stuck in the 214lb range, but schedule has been kinda jacked up).

Goal is to try and get to 200, and then see what's what from there.

I go to Fight Club in Miami, which is perfect atmosphere for me. It's a big ass warehouse-type gym, with much more space than there are members. It's hot as fuck, and I get there around 6 AM (so there's only like 2-3 people there anyway). No frills, grimey. My type of place. No socializing. No fronts. As much as i like eye candy, when it comes to being in the gym, I've always kinda been in the zone.

I have been doing isolation workouts (i.e. working out one body part per day, but doing like 4 exercises, 3-4 sets each, 10-14 reps each).

Also do upper stomach, lower stomach, and lower back exercises in between sets (so wind up doing 3-4 sets of each, 20-25 reps).

I have one of those Ab Wheels, which are the shit, but have been working to break back in to that, as perfect form is a must on that thing (you can really fuck yourself up doing it with the single-wheel version I have).

I get all that done in ~ 1 hr or so, then hit the speed bag for ~ 10 min straight, and jump rope for ~ 10 min.

At night, on the 2-a-day session days, I just run ~ 2.5 miles. Nothing crazy. Just enough to break a through sweat and to get my ass moving. Been doing it on a treadmill lately, but wil often take it to the beach for the same distance.

I find the beach is harder running.

I get real bad shin splints, so anyone having any advice on how to rid myself of them, I'm open to insight.

As far as supplementation goes, I am currently taking a testosterone booster, CE2 (a thermogenic creatine pill), mega men sport multi-vitamin pack, Leukik, and Gakik...all purchased at GNC. I am absolutely certain I am not drinking enough water to help my liver out in processing all this shit...lol...but shit, they prescribe drinking 80 oz....I mean, who the fuck has time for that.

As far as my diet is concerned, I have been trying to keep it lean/light. I can eat when I want to, which can be a bad thing (but man I love food). Anyway, right now, I am drinking a Myoplex Light shake for breakfast, trying to east sashimi (or something somewhat as sensible - face it, it doesn't get any cleaner than raw fish), and then I have been trying to avoid eating after 5:30-6 PM. So lately, that means I have been skipping dinner.

I got down to about 213 a few weeks ago, but had some house guests and scheduling things that kind of fucked my regimen up...so I have been fluctuating between 215-217, but I should be down to 213-214 or less by this Saturday.

I have been lifting and exercising for the better part of 18 years, and I know enough to know that I don't know everything, and I am always open to new ides, exercises and principles/techniques, and supplementation, but if I can offer any insight on any specific exercises or whatever, feel free to ask. I have done some lower rep higher weight things sporadically through all those years of training, but I was always more of a higher rep (usually a minimum of 10) player.
PR316
^^^^I've heard alot about "Fight Club." Huge gym. Lots of space. Old school type atmosphere. Unfortunately being up in the more northern part of South Florida it would take me over an hour to get there so I have to stay up here.

That said, I'm trying like hell to get my abs in form. Because I'm not very good with diets and all, I don't have a perfect 6 pack or anything. I do however drink alot of water. Pretty close to a gallon a day. I've cut out soda for good and thus far have stuck with Gatorade.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jun 10 2008, 09:19 AM) [snapback]392039[/snapback]
^^^^I've heard alot about "Fight Club." Huge gym. Lots of space. Old school type atmosphere. Unfortunately being up in the more northern part of South Florida it would take me over an hour to get there so I have to stay up here.
That said, I'm trying like hell to get my abs in form. Because I'm not very good with diets and all, I don't have a perfect 6 pack or anything. I do however drink alot of water. Pretty close to a gallon a day. I've cut out soda for good and thus far have stuck with Gatorade.

Gartorade is only worth drinking if you've exercised heavily.

It's got lots of electrolytes and sugars in (carbs), so unless you've depleted those stores, you'll put on weight drinking that stuff.

Fruit juice, water, sugar and salt mixed together pretty much does the same job as all the sports drinks....although obvioulsy doesn't taste as good!
Spyder
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 10 2008, 09:42 AM) [snapback]392037[/snapback]
I get real bad shin splints, so anyone having any advice on how to rid myself of them, I'm open to insight.

Plyometrics my brother.

I got REALLY bad shin splints as well from excessive running and jumping rope. I switched out the rope jumping with an old tire...(for those that don't know what I'm talking about, you basically get in your boxing stance and bounce on a tire), and switched out the distance running with plyometrics and sprints.

I get bored of doing the same thing everyday, but because there are so many plyometric exercises, you can switch it up real easy. I'll also mix in a day of sprints to further improve my explosiveness and stamina. Once you get your fitness up, you can run timed sprints...I was fighting two minute rounds, so I would sprint for two minutes(or run as hard as I could), and then rest for one. That shit is KILLER!

You can also run about 10 40-yard dashes as well. Sprint there, then walk back. It's a lot of fun if you have a partner so you can time each other.

Anyway, all of these are shin splint friendly replacements to the distance road work.
Method
Yeah, man, cutting soda is a must (except if you order pizza on the wknd), but I also try and cut out fruit juices too (for the sugar factor). I drink a ton of sparkling water and flat water, and I tend to splash in 100% fruit juice (grape, juicy juice, etc) just for the vitamins and taste, and the mixture is diluted sugar content, but still tasty. I sometimes do that with gmy mixture too....mix water w juice or Gatorade (the new G2) or Vitamin Water.

Dude, you want to shred your stomach up, I highly recommend getting one of those old-school, single-wheel ab wheels.

5 sets of 20. Strict form.

You could also alternate crunches (upper and lower exercises) on diff days.

In my amateur opinion, it has been my experience that diet is almost equally important as training for cuts.

Rest is important in training too.
Spyder
Water with lemon juice helps cut you up also.
PR316
Vitamin Water is really good. Which juices do you recommend I buy??... I know I gotta get into that. I like sparkling water as well, its pretty good.

A single wheel ab wheel??... I'll definitely have to look into that.

I do 100 crunches, 50 upper, 50 lower. Then I do 50 reps for the right side, and 50 for the left side which is 200 all together. I run 3-4 times a week 2 and a half to 3 miles. When I go to the gym, I'll hit the speed rope for about 5 minutes to warm up, before doing all the boxing stuff.

Weight training I do is minimal. About 3 -4 days a week as well. I focus on biceps, deltoids, chest, upper back and legs. I don't over do it, though. 3 sets of 10-12 reps.

Method
Yeah, sounds like you got a nice routine down.

I am really not sure where they sell those single wheel ab wheels.

I got mine in NYC hen I lived there...at a Modell's. It was like $6.99. But dude, P4P the best thing I ever did for total core/abs.

It gets your stomach ripped up n a diff sort of way, and it might not be a way you want. But it kind of shreds you up and gives you that stomach that is full and kind of pushes out...

...where as doing crunches kind of gives you that cut down the center of your stomach that is more of a valley.

I realize it all sounds pretty gay, but I am pretty sure that's the difference I have noticed.

Who knows...

It's been a while since I have been hitting on all cylinders, and I am not there yet, but am giving it a legit go this time. However, I have been down in the 5% body fat range in the past, so I have noticed the diff in those stomach movements. That wheel tears your stomach up by stretching it out. Crunches tear you up by contraction. Diff movements, but both effective. I would say that the wheel hits a lot more body parts though (abs, arms, lower back, obliques, shoulders, etc.).
Spyder
Nothing tears your abs up better than a good medicine ball routine. Impossible if you train alone, but if you have a partner that can keep up...get 'er done!

laugh.gif
ROLL DEEP
The BEST thing for abs is cardio.

If you're doing a load of ab work but seeing no results, you gotta drop your body fat %.

Diet and cardio is a must to get your fat % down.
Method
...as I just macked lechon asado...

Clean meat though...little bit of white rice. Threw half the rice out. Ate the meat.

No dinner tonight.

...and I'll run it off...
Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jun 10 2008, 09:19 AM) [snapback]392039[/snapback]

I hear you on the Abs thing. I have a small gut myself. They say the best way to lose your gut is through diet. And in my opinion, the hardest thing to get in order. But it can be done. Just eat clean, healthy foods, try to limit yourself to one cheat meal a week. Eat at a calorie defecit, but not too much where you are starving yourself. They say to eat 6 meals a day throughout the day. Lifting weights promotes fat loss. Muscle may weigh more than fat, but muscle helps burn fat away. And obviously, do your cardio, but it seems like most people have their cardio in check here. Also, they say that the best core workouts are Squat and Deadlifts versus doing cruches, sit ups, etc. Keep the weight low, and practice on your form.

I don't really follow the cardio and diet guidelines, but hopefully one day I get my ass in gear. I mostly just focus on strength training.
Bill The Butcher
Another good way to cut down is to do HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training. It will cut your cardio times by over half. And will see better results.

You can do it by jogging/running on a track outside, on the treadmill/elliptical/stationary bike, row machine, etc in the gym.

You only need to do it for 10-20 minutes at the most. It is where you jog for 60 seconds, sprint your fastest at 30 seconds, jog for 60 seconds, sprint your fastest at 30 seconds, etc etc etc. You can find exact routines on the internet. Just google HIIT.
Bill The Butcher
100% Whey Protein.

This is key for building muscle, fat loss, helping your immune system, etc. If you have the money to buy other supplements, you should definitely buy this one. Take one serving before your workout, and after your workout. And then if you want, take one serving in the morning or night.

Method, you should try and eat something before you go to bed. Your body is without food for probably 8-10 hours depending on when you wake up and eat. When your body is resting like that, it needs food for your muscles. Plus it might be hurting your metabolism. I don't know the exact science and reason for this, but you should do some research. Trust me though, it is good for you.

It could be something as simple as celery and natural peanut butter, or whey protein mixed in with a glass of milk, or buy some "casein protein" (the protein that take like 6-8 hours to break down in your body, that's why they recommend this to take before bed time.), Oatmeal, some almonds, etc.
Bill The Butcher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg79mQqiacM

About splints.
Method
Plus it might be hurting your metabolism. I don't know the exact science and reason for this, but you should do some research. Trust me though, it is good for you.

Oh, you are likely SPOT ON regarding the metabolism thing.

The leanest I ever got (168 lbs and 5% body fat, coming down from ~210 lbs), Summer after freshman year of college, I was eating more than I ever had in my life, but all clean, lean foods.

I would eat like 8-12 scrambled eggwhites every morning, coupled with 2 whole wheat waffles (whole wheat pancakes on w/e) or couple pieces of whole wheat toast. Can of dry tuna for lunch, paired with whole wheat pasta (small bit of sauce, or just dash of balsamic vnegar and grated cheese & red pepper), and then skinless chicken or tuna plus WW pasta for dinner.

I was landscaping during the day (a ton of cardio mowing these huge fields), and lifting at night (2 body parts, but 3 exercises, 3-4 sets, 10-12 reps for eadch body part - ~ 90 minn total).

You're right though, you definitely need to eat to keep your metabolism churning, which sounds counterintuitive, I agree with you, but it's the way it is.

Breakfast is the most important meal there is, and the LAST meal that should ever be skipped. I don't think its as big a deal to skip dinner, esp if you're eating late, because those calories just sit idle in your stomach being that you're not burning any enery. If not converted for energy, that stuff will be sotred (as fat) for later days, esp if you wake in the morning after eating later at night and mack a big breakfast. It's kind of like a Last In - Last Out inventory scheme.

You're right, though, Butch, I am not sure I am gettign enough food, but I figured I would drop some weight first and then revisit if/when burnout set in, which, if I am overtraining, it WILL ultimately do, then I can ratchet up the caloric intake.

Another thing I forgot in my previous comment about being stagnant at the 114-117 range, is that Creatine usually keeps me volumized, and I tend to pack on 5-10 as opposed to dropping weight. it's not bad wieght, its just that your cells are full (volumized), and by default, heavier.
Method
That summer I referenced above, where I ate a shit load of clean food and lost a ton of weight, I should not that I was very strict during the week, but come the weekend, I would eat whatever the fck I wanted to.

Again, I was doing a lot of cardio with work, butI let loose on the weekends.
ROLL DEEP
Sprints and Weight training can actually change your metabolism rate.

If you have a low metabolism, doing sprints or intense workouts with weights can raise it, whereas sports that promote use of your slow twitch muslce fibres (ie long distance running) can slow your metabolism down over a period of time.

Using weight for fat loss can be achieved by doing 'Supersets'...I use them a lot.

Pick a body part...ie Shoulders. Get a weight you can lift about 10-12 reps with. Do one type of exercise using that weight then switch onto a lighter weight and blast 20-25 reps out on a different exercise, but using the same body part.

Marine Press: 10-12 reps
Up right row: 20-25 reps.

Do that 3 or 4 times and you completely smoke that body part. Then you can move onto another body part.

After an intense weight session, your body is still using calories to repair muslce upto 48 hours after.....so you can either eat more and not put weight on, or eat the same and lose weight.

Couple the above type work out with some spritns and you'll shred weight.

Plus, its good for combat sports participants too as its a fast twitch, anaerobic workout.

Method
I usually do supper set shoulders and arms.
After an intense weight session, your body is still using calories to repair muscle up to 48 hours after.....so you can either eat more and not put weight on, or eat the same and lose weight.

Exactly.

Lifting weights burns fat long after you stop exercising whereas cardio only burns calories while your doing that specific activity.
jp
I you haven't started this already you should definitely try fish oil supplementation. I'm too lazy to post the medical studies on this stuff but it has been proven to help lower cholesterol, burn fat, increases cardiovascular health, helps you to live longer, etc. It is also dirt cheap, you can go to Costco and get a 2-3 month supply(depending on your daily dosage) for $10-$15.
jp
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 11 2008, 04:26 AM) [snapback]392169[/snapback]
Oh, you are likely SPOT ON regarding the metabolism thing.

The leanest I ever got (168 lbs and 5% body fat, coming down from ~210 lbs), Summer after freshman year of college, I was eating more than I ever had in my life, but all clean, lean foods.

I would eat like 8-12 scrambled eggwhites every morning, coupled with 2 whole wheat waffles (whole wheat pancakes on w/e) or couple pieces of whole wheat toast. Can of dry tuna for lunch, paired with whole wheat pasta (small bit of sauce, or just dash of balsamic vnegar and grated cheese & red pepper), and then skinless chicken or tuna plus WW pasta for dinner.

I was landscaping during the day (a ton of cardio mowing these huge fields), and lifting at night (2 body parts, but 3 exercises, 3-4 sets, 10-12 reps for eadch body part - ~ 90 minn total).

You're right though, you definitely need to eat to keep your metabolism churning, which sounds counterintuitive, I agree with you, but it's the way it is.

Breakfast is the most important meal there is, and the LAST meal that should ever be skipped. I don't think its as big a deal to skip dinner, esp if you're eating late, because those calories just sit idle in your stomach being that you're not burning any enery. If not converted for energy, that stuff will be sotred (as fat) for later days, esp if you wake in the morning after eating later at night and mack a big breakfast. It's kind of like a Last In - Last Out inventory scheme.

You're right, though, Butch, I am not sure I am gettign enough food, but I figured I would drop some weight first and then revisit if/when burnout set in, which, if I am overtraining, it WILL ultimately do, then I can ratchet up the caloric intake.

Another thing I forgot in my previous comment about being stagnant at the 114-117 range, is that Creatine usually keeps me volumized, and I tend to pack on 5-10 as opposed to dropping weight. it's not bad wieght, its just that your cells are full (volumized), and by default, heavier.

Bill is right on about not eating before bed. Your body goes into a catabolic state where your metabolism basically shuts down for 6-8 hours because it's not receiving any fuel......instead of skipping dinner completely I would try to eat some something slow digesting like cottage cheese or a muscle milk shake right before you go to sleep. 100% Whey protein should also be a staple of your diet, take it in a PWO shake, preferably within 30 minutes of completing any serious weight training.
Method
your metabolism basically shuts down for 6-8 hours because it's not receiving any fuel

Your metabolism shuts down because you're sleeping. You ain't doing shit. I could gas up Gas up my Ferrari before I put it away for the Winter too, and when I take it out in the Spring, the tank's still gonna be full. Guess my point is that just because you gas up the tank doesn't mean the fuel's gonna burn. You have to actually be driving the car. Not strictly so for the human body, but you get the point.
jp
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 11 2008, 01:21 PM) [snapback]392220[/snapback]
Your metabolism shuts down because you're sleeping. You ain't doing shit. I could gas up Gas up my Ferrari before I put it away for the Winter too, and when I take it out in the Spring, the tank's still gonna be full. Guess my point is that just because you gas up the tank doesn't mean the fuel's gonna burn. You have to actually be driving the car. Not strictly so for the human body, but you get the point.

That's not entirely true. Your body's metabolism doesn’t automatically shut down just because you decide you want to go to sleep. Also the human body doesn't work like a car where you can just take out the key and stop all of its necessary day to day functionality. Although your metabolism will SLOW during long periods of inactivity or rest, it will not completely shut down if you provide it with the proper nutrition, particularly some slow digesting carbs or protein such as cottage cheese or casein protein. Not eating for a 4-5 hours before bedtime really does more harm than good because essentially you end up depriving your body of any source of nutrition for a period 10-12 hours depending on how long you sleep. Your goal, particularly if you are trying to lose weight would be to try and keep your metabolism burning 24/7. You can accomplish this by eating clean foods every 2-3 hour including right before bed.
Method
I hear you, which is why I said...

Not strictly so for the human body
Method
Your goal, particularly if you are trying to lose weight would be to try and keep your metabolism burning 24/7. You can accomplish this by eating clean foods every 2-3 hour including right before bed.

Don't know about right before bed, but I hear you.

Pop winstrol, and you'll wake up in the middle of the night in puddles of sweat. Now talk about metabolizing 24/7
jp
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 11 2008, 02:40 PM) [snapback]392237[/snapback]
Don't know about right before bed, but I hear you.

Pop winstrol, and you'll wake up in the middle of the night in puddles of sweat. Now talk about metabolizing 24/7

I feel you man....the last thing I would do is blindly take some advice on nutrition/supplementation from some random dude on a boxing forum. The research/studies are out there to back this up, adjusting your diet is going to be key if you want to shed that last 10-15 lbs. I usually have a muscle milk shake before bed, not only does it keep the metabolism burning but the shit tastes abosultely unreal, even if you mix it with water.
Bill The Butcher
I did the cottage cheese thing for a while before bed, but I hated it. Only because I couldn't stand the taste or texture of it, I wish I could. I'm going to start hunting for some Casein Protein and just drink it with a glass of milk before bed time. Unfortunately the GNC near my place doesn't sell it for some reason. I'm not sure if I have to just order it online or if a "Super Supplements" store carries it. I was surprised GNC didn't.

Diet is the hardest thing for me to get in check. It is mostly because I have no will power when it comes to food, plus I'm obviously not trying hard enough. But what I said is true and JP is right, there is a lot of articles on the internet that describes it better than we can.

I got some knowledge on Nutrition, now I just need to get my mind and food cravings to agree with me.

Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(jp @ Jun 11 2008, 12:40 PM) [snapback]392212[/snapback]
I you haven't started this already you should definitely try fish oil supplementation. I'm too lazy to post the medical studies on this stuff but it has been proven to help lower cholesterol, burn fat, increases cardiovascular health, helps you to live longer, etc. It is also dirt cheap, you can go to Costco and get a 2-3 month supply(depending on your daily dosage) for $10-$15.

I agree. Fish Oil is one of the few supplements I take. That, and the obvious Multivitamins, and Whey Protein. I'm thinking about Flax Seed too. I heard that is good for you, but tastes like crap. I wonder if that comes in a capsule form too. I'm also thinking about adding Casein Protein shake as a snack before bed time.
Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 11 2008, 04:39 AM) [snapback]392170[/snapback]
The hardest part for me is diet, especially later on in the evenings. I can avoid the sugary, fried foods etc but it's just so hard to stay away from the carbs. It feels like it basically eliminates everything. Tuna is so fucking bland. It's not disgusting, but it's so boring it makes me sick eating it about 2 days straight.
Also food choice is hard when you are high. But yeah later in the evening it's hard to find stuff to eat and everything seems so repetitive.

I know what you mean. I'm in the same boat.

I'm trying to get myself to be on a healthier diet, by getting plenty of protein and eating clean foods. And then reward yourself at the end of the week with a Bacon Cheeseburger, or a Burrito, or Nachos. It will taste that much better. And if you only have one cheat meal a week, that would do wonders for your health and put your body in the state that you want it to be.

You should look at the Abs Diet book. They have a few out. But they give you a ton of different recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They also give you different smoothie recipes. It may not be the ultimate strict diet book, but they definitely give you a good variety of healthier meals than what you might be used to eating.
Method
I feel you man....the last thing I would do is blindly take some advice on nutrition/supplementation from some random dude on a boxing forum. The research/studies are out there to back this up, adjusting your diet is going to be key if you want to shed that last 10-15 lbs. I usually have a muscle milk shake before bed, not only does it keep the metabolism burning but the shit tastes abosultely unreal, even if you mix it with water.

Quite the contrary, I am well aware of studies and there hasn't been one participant in this thread talking out there ass. Everything in here is shit I have read up on at one time or another. You're right - its tried and tested. I am only taking the stance I am taking for my body type. I work on a trading desk all day. I's pretty sedentary. There's no need for me to take in a bunch of calories because, other than the gym early AM and a run in the evening, I am sitting in one spot the rest of the day. I very well may keep the metabolism going by eating 6 meals a day, but I have dropped 20lbs in ~4 weeks doing what I am doing, so no real reason to switch it up yet. But I am not bucking you guys because its "two strangers on a boxing board". This is all accredited discussion.
Bill The Butcher
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 11 2008, 08:31 PM) [snapback]392312[/snapback]
I have dropped 20 in 4 weeks doing what I am doing, so no real reason to switch it up yet.

I hear you. If I was seeing results, I guess I would just stick to whatever I was doing too. Until the time came to switch it up and try something else.

They say that doing Compound lifts like Bench, Squat, Deadlifts, etc 3 times a week is better for you than doing compounds/isolation split routine 5 times a week. I keep trying to talk my buddy into trying it out, but he sticks to his routine - which is the 5 times a week. And he benches like 485 lbs. and is ripped at 200 lbs. And he also eats like crap. I mean, he eats McDonald's and drinks 2-3 Rockstars on a regular basis. But I still try to give him the Compound 3x a week and healthy nutrition speech.

Method
Yeah, compound exercises are the best because they are the most anabolic...or rather really throw your body into an anabolic state (more so than any others)....

I have a friend that just does cardio for 15-20 min and benches, and dude looks great.
jp
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 11 2008, 08:31 PM) [snapback]392312[/snapback]
Quite the contrary, I am well aware of studies and there hasn't been one participant in this thread talking out there ass. Everything in here is shit I have read up on at one time or another. You're right - its tried and tested. I am only taking the stance I am taking for my body type. I work on a trading desk all day. I's pretty sedentary. There's no need for me to take in a bunch of calories because, other than the gym early AM and a run in the evening, I am sitting in one spot the rest of the day. I very well may keep the metabolism going by eating 6 meals a day, but I have dropped 20lbs in ~4 weeks doing what I am doing, so no real reason to switch it up yet. But I am not bucking you guys because its "two strangers on a boxing board". This is all accredited discussion.

Losing 5lbs a week is ridiculous.....I would definitely stick with what you're doing if you are getting the results you want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.