Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forrest vs. Mora+Quintana vs. Williams II RBR/Postfight:Showtime@8PM CST
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all the action and post-fight comments about the twin title fights.

Quintana vs. Williams and Forrest Mora.

Jack

Administrator
rusty_trombone
O man, I don't really like Forrest, but I am the biggest Forrest fan tonight. I fucking hate Mora and hope he gets his shit knocked the fuck out.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Wow that was really unexpected
Romulus9
I think Williams pushed the Easy button from the Staples commercials before he left the locker room. Good Lord.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
They came out for round 1 and Williams got right to popping that jab. He landed a couple jabs and a right hook. Quintana looked alright too in the way early goings, he landed a couple lefts and seemed to be moving well. Then, Williams landed a hard left. It stunned Quintana badly, and he just never recovered. Went down once, got up, took some more shots, and went down again. It was a good stoppage, as it was clear Quintana wasn't going to make it out of the round. Gotta feel of Quintana, but maybe this can set up a Williams-Margarito rematch if he wins against Cotto. I would love to see that rematch.
dbdbdb
DAMN!!!!!!!

The Punisher Came for revenge and got it .......... Good Outing!!!
The Original MrFactor
Very impressive win for PW. Did what he had to do. Tonite he found that head... He sparred LEFTY's this time around. Did anyone notice how small he was at the weigh in, then the huge size difference on fight night. They said he came in on fight night at 156. Williams looks every bit of 165...
frankypc
i was rooting for quintana but he got caught real bad. Maybe it was because the fight lasted like to minutes lol, but he seemed static like kind of trying to fight more than box. Good win for PW.
frankypc
QUOTE(frankypc @ Jun 7 2008, 09:29 PM) [snapback]391727[/snapback]
i was rooting for quintana but he got caught real bad. Maybe it was because the fight lasted like to minutes lol, but he seemed static like kind of trying to fight more than box. Good win for PW.

frankypc
Sorry about the double post.
FenderDG3
You think it's safe to say that Williams wasn't mentally prepared the first time, but devoted himself this time around?!?!?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Forrest got the first two rounds in the bank. He's countering really well when Mora is jumping in.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I think Mora got round 3. He did some good work on the inside that round, and just worked more than Forrest. He even got him with a nice left hook as Forrest tried coming in.
Romulus9
Mora is gaining some confidence and Forrest just isn't active enough. Wake up, Vernon.

Of course, having Buddy McGirt in your corner tends to lull you to sleep. What an overrated hack.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Mora getting in a rytham that round. He's really starting to do good work, and is landing with the left hook to the head and body. Kind of a boring fight so ill be switching to hbo, but its even right now.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Vernon Forrest woke up at the beginning of that round. He landed a nice uppercut, and some nice body shots. Mora had a nice flurry in the middle of the round, but it wasn't enough to take the round. I got it 48-47 for Forrest.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Mora doing really good work in the 6th round. He might of even stunned him with a right. Lots of in fighting in the middle of the round with both guys doing well. Forrest just isn't doing enough, and mora is gaining confidence. 57-57
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
This round was fought more on the outside. Mora actually doing pretty well with the jab, as Forrest looks a little tired. Forrest trying to pump the jab, but Mora is just doing more. 67-66 Mora
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Forrest had a better round 8. Landed some nice 1-2 combos in the beginning of the round to carry the round. Got ugly towards the end of the round, ref got his hands full. 76-76
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Very close round 9. Both are landing some shots, and Mora doing soeme great work on the inside. Mora really landed some hard shots with Forrest on the ropes towards the end of the round though that really took the round. Good action towards the end there. 86-85 Mora
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Mora really outworking Forrest in the 10th. He's jabbing his way in, and sometimes landing the jab. Then he goes to work on the inside landing to that body. He's pushing Forrest back with the jab now even. Mora really looking sharp, making him miss and making him pay. 96-94 Mora.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Forrest looking pretty tired at the beginning of the 11th. He's still trying to pump that jab, but cant keep mora from getting on the inside. Forrest starting to get frustrated on the inside, as he's still getting outworked. forrest did land a good hook though. It's just not enough though as he continues to land from the inside and outside now. Mora looks extremely confident as he screams AND NEW at the end of the round. It's looking like it too. 106-103 Mora
gods son
mora did enough?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Forrest clinches as he comes out. He looked really tired on the stool. They're trading shots on the inside with Mora getting the better of it. Mora yelling AND NEW to Forrest at the end of the round, as they traded shots towards the end. No doubt Mora won that fight with dominating the late rounds. 116-112 Mora. The 12th was close though. Mora did great body work in this fight, and just did an amazing job on the inside. His jab was better than expected too. He hadn't looked this good since the first Manfredo fight.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Forrest was tired by round 6, and the body shots didn't help. Forrest didn't do enough to win this fight.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
114-114
115-113
116-112
For the Winner AND NEW Champion Sergio Mora! He deserved it tonight, and thats a great win for The Contender group.
BigG
Good win.

I still fucking hate Mora.
Romulus9
Vernon?

Retire. Now.

I mean NOW.

If not, fire Buddy McGirt and then hit him with a folding chair.

But, please, retire.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I got love for Mora. I love his attitude in the ring, and love the confidence he has. He had a rough 07, but he's made up for it in 08. Forrest classy in the post fight interview, I still respect Forrest and hope he gets another shot. He's still a great guy, and a great fighter. Maybe he and Spinks can fight for the battle between dethroned champions.
gods son
hahahhaha to mora!!!
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Sergio calling out Oscar De La Hoya for a battle of East LA in the post fight interview. That'd be a fight id like to see right now. That would be for THE Jr. Middleweight championship of the world. Hopefully he's right, we ain't seen the best of him. I guess im the only guy on the boards that's kind of a fan of Mora.
dbdbdb
Man!!!

Mcgirt is the kiss of death ..... All his fighters lose something after he joins the camp. Mora fought a decent fight, but the forest of old would have beaten him.
Romulus9
DLH would absolutely annihilate Mora but it's a moot point. It ain't happening.

DLH-Cotto will be an amazing fight later this year.
BigG
Mora is a pretty skilled fighter, I'll give him that.

But DLH-Mora is one fight where I would root for DLH.
Imperius3
I heard Forrest-Mora was actually a close fight that could have gone either way. Forrest might still need to consider retirement though. Mora is a fighter he would have blown out in his prime.
BigG
Size difference looked ridiculous..how does Williams make weight? Damn Williams surprised me with that barrage, he caught Quintana early and finished him.
kidbazooka1
Damn Quinatan just got cought plaine and simple I don't think either fighter looked any different he just got cought with that straight right and never recovered. He got hit several times in the first fight and took them pretty well but this one just landed on the button.

If I was Quintana I would ask for a third fight being that there even and he gave PW his rematch but I doubt that will happen PW will go on and try and get the winner between Cotto/Margarito.

As for Sergio Mora he clearly beat Vernon tonight who looked like sh*t. I know many here are not big fans of Mora but considering that all of the guys from the Contender are pretty much considered cans you gotta give the guy props for beating arguably the best 154lb in the world.

Jack 1000
I agree Quintana got caught. A great win however for The Punisher.

Good win for Mora. Yea, I hate The Contender, but he deserved the decssion. WTF? He should NOT go to 160. Pavlik would kill him. Stay at 154, and get some defenses there first.

Jack
thefloatingmonkey
I think it is time for Forrest to hang up the gloves. He was looking gased through the majority of the fight and couldn't throw punches. If Mora steps into the ring against anyone good he is gonna be in trouble.

Warlord
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jun 7 2008, 09:41 PM) [snapback]391783[/snapback]
Sergio calling out Oscar De La Hoya for a battle of East LA in the post fight interview. That'd be a fight id like to see right now. That would be for THE Jr. Middleweight championship of the world. Hopefully he's right, we ain't seen the best of him. I guess im the only guy on the boards that's kind of a fan of Mora.

Nope, I've always liked Mora. I never understood the hate for him; some people complain because he talked shit to Manfredo's dad while he was kicking his son's ass, but I thought that was pretty good showmanship right there. He ain't top-10 P4P material by any stretch, but he's a good little fighter and I'm glad to see him get the upset win over Forrest, who was uncharacteristically and unwarrantedly disrespectful to Mora leading up to the fight.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jun 8 2008, 02:32 AM) [snapback]391826[/snapback]
I agree Quintana got caught. A great win however for The Punisher.

Good win for Mora. Yea, I hate The Contender, but he deserved the decssion. WTF? He should NOT go to 160. Pavlik would kill him. Stay at 154, and get some defenses there first.

Jack

I agree He should stay at 154lb and try and land a big name there he has no buisness at 160lb.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jun 7 2008, 11:44 PM) [snapback]391807[/snapback]
I heard Forrest-Mora was actually a close fight that could have gone either way. Forrest might still need to consider retirement though. Mora is a fighter he would have blown out in his prime.

The fight was close but Mora clearly won the fight. The body work that he did through out the fight IMO was what really won him the fight vernon was dead tired after about the 8th rd.
JD
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jun 8 2008, 03:21 AM) [snapback]391830[/snapback]
Nope, I've always liked Mora. I never understood the hate for him; some people complain because he talked shit to Manfredo's dad while he was kicking his son's ass, but I thought that was pretty good showmanship right there. He ain't top-10 P4P material by any stretch, but he's a good little fighter and I'm glad to see him get the upset win over Forrest, who was uncharacteristically and unwarrantedly disrespectful to Mora leading up to the fight.

I agree 100%.

Mora is not a bad fighter, he was just type casted because he was on The Contender...but leading up to the fight, he was a legit prospect coming out of Cali. Mora is very smart, has good handspeed, good legs, an awkward difficult style because of his constant switches in stance, and is difficult to hit clean. He is willing to mix it up, and he has the ability to box from the outside...is he great? No. Is he good? Absolutely.

I have always liked Mora, and I have always maintained that he could make noise at 154.
PR316
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 8 2008, 02:44 AM) [snapback]391789[/snapback]
Mora is a pretty skilled fighter, I'll give him that.

But DLH-Mora is one fight where I would root for DLH.

De La Hoya Mora???... Oscar may have found his "super fight" for September. Good idea there biggeorge.

I don't know if it was an off night for Vernon or if his age finally showed.

Paul Williams, WOW.... I think at his best, he'd beat every welterweight out there with the exception of Money Mayweather(I don't believe Floyd is retired).
Mean Mister Mustard
Sergio Mora is definetly the best of the first Contender season. I was a bit worried about Mora and his diversity before the fight. I always thought he was a bit like Malignaggi in the sense that if he coulndn't outbox you he'd be fucked because he has no punch but Mora showed thoughness in going on the inside against Forrest. Plus he also fought Manfredo pretty well on the inside in both their fights.
hardhead
What a very good fight and night for that matter. Mora fought like he was really hungry and just out hustled, out boxed, out thought Forrest. He was working very well in there with a combination of punches(uppercuts, hooks, body, head, jabs). Hats off to him big time. I thought they were going to rob him as I had it 116-112 for Mora(no way did I see this any other way but Mora winning, not even a draw) with Mora taking rounds 6-12 and round 2. I think Forrest should think about retirement since I thought he got a gift against Quartey in their fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE(hardhead @ Jun 8 2008, 01:24 PM) [snapback]391858[/snapback]
What a very good fight and night for that matter. Mora fought like he was really hungry and just out hustled, out boxed, out thought Forrest. He was working very well in there with a combination of punches(uppercuts, hooks, body, head, jabs). Hats off to him big time. I thought they were going to rob him as I had it 116-112 for Mora(no way did I see this any other way but Mora winning, not even a draw) with Mora taking rounds 6-12 and round 2. I think Forrest should think about retirement since I thought he got a gift against Quartey in their fight.

Huge gift in the Quartey fight!

Vernon is through, he needs to hang them up. He can't blame this one on his shoulder.

Props to Mora though. He fought a great fight and he earned some respect tonight. I think he would be best suited to stay @ 154. With the level of talent in the division he can unify and become King of 154!
buford54
That's sad. Forrest's career never took off. He beat Shane twice, lost to Mayorga twice, and then has been sidelined ever since w/ injuries. Now, "he's finished."
Especially with the words he said before fight. He needs to talk to Hasim Rahman to learn how to lose after making the most bold predictions of all time.

Congrats to Williams. He played his cards just right, I think. When asked for why he lost the first fight, he didn't make any excuses. He just said, "That wasn't me at my best." He didn't have any other reasons or style issues, or injuries that nobody knew about...he just said that he would be at his best, and he was.
I'm glad for him, because I think he can be the top dog in that division.
STEVENSKI
Willimaz iz da man but he is not as good as da Brixton Bomba. Williamz did da Bombaz trick in da first fight pretendin to lose. He triez to be like Williamz but no one iz like Williams.

Westside
The Original MrFactor
Maybe Forest wasnt that good to begin with. Good textbook boxer and little else. Maybe he's Shane Mosley's Antonio Tarver. He got up for one fight against a guy he knew he could beat. He just fizzled most of the time I saw him outside of the Mosley fights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.