Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul Williams, wow
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Chillmatic
What a comeback! It reminds me of Roy Jones Jr's rematch with Montell Griffin.

There can be no discussion at 147 without Paul Williams. He made a real statement tonight. What power! I've never seen that from Williams before. He really turned his shots over nice tonight.
thehype
WOW!!!!!

Agreed!

WAR WILLIAMS!!!!!

I knew there was a reason why I didn't really care about Floyd's retirement.

laugh.gif
gods son
back in the mix..paul, cotto, margareto...= fab 3!!
BigG
Cotto, PWill, Mosley: The best Weltweights.
Chillmatic
QUOTE(thehype @ Jun 7 2008, 09:31 PM) [snapback]391730[/snapback]
WOW!!!!!

Agreed!

WAR WILLIAMS!!!!!

I knew there was a reason why I didn't really care about Floyd's retirement.

laugh.gif

Floyd who?

The second I saw Williams' jab land right on Quintana's face, I knew it was over. Williams wasn't landing clean until the middle rounds in the first fight. Quintana shouldn't have tried to take Williams out early, his success came from countering when Williams missed and fell off balance.

Paul Williams really did a lot for his standing in the division now that "that guy" isn't fighting anymore. What had always bothered me was that he never scored emphatic, statement-making knockouts. He has that Tommy Hearns frame and if he can straighten those punches out, maybe there is some Hitman in him.

He would give anyone in the division fits, especially if he keeps his distance like he did with Quintana.
Chillmatic
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 7 2008, 09:36 PM) [snapback]391733[/snapback]
Cotto, PWill, Mosley: The best Weltweights.

I'd put Margarito over Mosley at 147.
Al Hata

Great stuff from PWill tonight. I think it's pretty clear he just didn't train hard enough for the first fight. No doubt, Paul is a top WW.

D-MARV
He made his case for being the top Welter in the world!!!!!!!
Chillmatic
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 7 2008, 09:41 PM) [snapback]391739[/snapback]
He made his case for being the top Welter in the world!!!!!!!

I'd say the winner of Cotto-Margarito is number one, with Williams next.
Mean Mister Mustard
He could not have done better. He stopped him in one round. This is a blow to all those boxing writers who lambasted Williams supporters for jumping on his bandwagon too early.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Chillmatic @ Jun 7 2008, 09:44 PM) [snapback]391740[/snapback]
I'd say the winner of Cotto-Margarito is number one, with Williams next.

If Margarito beats Cotto,
1.Paul Williams
2. Margarito
3. Cotto
4. Shane
5. Clottey/Zab winner

If Cotto wins
1. Cotto
2. Paul Williams
3. Margarito/Shane
4. Shane/Margarito
5. Clottey/Zab Winner

No way Im putting Margarito over P WIll unless he beats him head to head!
Chillmatic
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 7 2008, 09:53 PM) [snapback]391745[/snapback]
He could not have done better. He stopped him in one round. This is a blow to all those boxing writers who lambasted Williams supporters for jumping on his bandwagon too early.

Not necessarily, he was supposed to do this 4 months ago. He got it done on the second try.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Chillmatic @ Jun 7 2008, 10:01 PM) [snapback]391750[/snapback]
Not necessarily, he was supposed to do this 4 months ago. He got it done on the second try.

With all due respect,
You seem to know your $hit! But do you have something against Paul Williams?
Chillmatic
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 7 2008, 10:06 PM) [snapback]391752[/snapback]
With all due respect,
You seem to know your $hit! But do you have something against Paul Williams?

Not at all, I like Paul Williams. I was impressed by his performance, let's just see him get the much-earned shot at the winner of Cotto-Margarito. He's still working his way up as a top guy in the division. Cotto is still in front of him and with a win he'll have nowhere to go but Williams.

Williams is an excellent fighter who deserves a lot of respect.
Yucayeke
Eating crow here. Never imagined this outcome. Well done P Will. Cotto- Margaro winner should be next now that Floyd done acted like the little bitch he is.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Chillmatic @ Jun 7 2008, 09:01 PM) [snapback]391750[/snapback]

What I'm saying is that boxing writers were saying Williams was overrated. Williams has proven that he can adapt in a rematch. That's progress and the sign of a champ.
EpTXCHAMP
Williams vs cotto after cotto beats margs!!!

paul just threw a possible mosely quintana match out the window

haha I doubt team mosely will go any where near p-will

cotto/margs winner vs paul

judah/clottey winner vs the loser cotto margs or maybe berto?

shane vs forrest??? Even though forrest aint looking to great right now

EpTXCHAMP
well cancel a possible forrest mosely rematch forrest looked old and got out worked by the latin fake
Mean Mister Mustard
Come on man, give Mora some credit. For a guy with no punch he did all right.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 7 2008, 08:42 PM) [snapback]391787[/snapback]
Come on man, give Mora some credit. For a guy with no punch he did all right.

he beat a 37 yr old forrest if he had beaten a prime forrest maybe. plus I lost a lil respect for the guy when he ducked the dream and taylor.

I dont see the fake beating spinks, or phillips maybe mayorga
KOpower
I think what we will see is the Clottey/Judah winner facing Paul Williams as sort of an elimination bout. I don't think this win will put Williams all the way up to that next level because this fight wasn't on HBO so it won't get the same hype. I think HBO could show a Clottey/Judah vs Williams matchup and if Williams wins that fight then he faces Cotto after Cotto fights a mandatory.

If Margarito somehow beats Cotto, then I think we could see a Margarito-Williams rematch as that could be a nice showcase fight.

I think Williams is a bad match for Cotto though because Cotto will dig away at that body and I don't think Williams has enough pop to keep Cotto off of him.
Hodge
Good for Paul. I think this will lead him to being the still most avoided unless Antonio wins.
The Ring Dictator
I was very disappointed with Paul Williams in the first fight against Quintana. Here I had a picture of him in my head as this very special fighter, and then he gets outboxed by Quintana. It certainly left me with some doubts over his capacity. However, I never, as a fan, "turned my back" on Williams, thinking Paul just had an off night. So, as you can imagine, this was quite a relief for me. What a statement!

Sure, Williams got flaws in his defense which probably will never disappear. But the way he fights when he's in the "Punisher-zone", it's so damn exciting. Paul is a potential nightmare to anyone in the welterweight-division. I also have a strong feeling he thrives on pressure of the big occasions. He seem to love it when he's got something to prove. Give him two or three more fights and then... Cotto!
hardhead
I agree this was the statement he needed to make, me and my friend were talking about this before that fight, what he would have to do to get back into the mix and answer the questions from the first fight, and both of us agreed that he'd have to win impressively by KO but we didn't imagine he would blast him out of there in the 1st round. WOW!!!! Props to the Punisher, he definitely looked the part last night. Next I'd like to see him fight a guy like a Clotty(my first choice, and I see "KOpower" think so as well) or maybe even a Cintron(Because I know the tops guy's people after seeing this will avoid him until he forces them to fight him)and hey who knows I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Mora at 154 somewhere down the line(if Mora still has the title, which he could because the division isn't that stacked). Of course I want to see him against the very top but he'll probably need another win or two..
Col Reb
I want to see Williams vs Mosley. I thouht Shane won the fight vs Cotto, and I still think of him as a a top 3 WW. Paul beating Shane would do a ton for his reputation, and the winner could use it as a springboard to a major PPV fight.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jun 8 2008, 01:22 PM) [snapback]391867[/snapback]
I want to see Williams vs Mosley. I thouht Shane won the fight vs Cotto, and I still think of him as a a top 3 WW. Paul beating Shane would do a ton for his reputation, and the winner could use it as a springboard to a major PPV fight.

I love Mosley but I dont think this would be a good fight for him. Anyone who fights Williams will have a hard time with his reach and power.
D-MARV
Shane aint taking that fight!
streetlion1
I wont be so quick to crown PW yet. He still has alot of improvement to do defensively...against a Cotto or a PBF he gets easily chopped up IMO.

-Shane makes PW look silly if they fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jun 8 2008, 05:38 PM) [snapback]391879[/snapback]
I wont be so quick to crown PW yet. He still has alot of improvement to do defensively...against a Cotto or a PBF he gets easily chopped up IMO.

-Shane makes PW look silly if they fight.

Shane wants no part of P Will!

Horrible match up for Shane!
BigG
LOL for some reason I think I'd love to see Judah-Williams. Williams would be a foot taller and you'd see Judah winging big left hands.
pacco_diablo
I was pretty embarrassed after their first fight, mainly because I had been hyping Williams up for almost 2 years now. I didnt want to show my face around here after his last lost. But now, after such a commanding victory, I feel like I can get out of the corner and speak again.

Good job Williams!
GMontoya
QUOTE(Chillmatic @ Jun 7 2008, 07:10 PM) [snapback]391754[/snapback]
Not at all, I like Paul Williams. I was impressed by his performance, let's just see him get the much-earned shot at the winner of Cotto-Margarito. He's still working his way up as a top guy in the division. Cotto is still in front of him and with a win he'll have nowhere to go but Williams.

Williams is an excellent fighter who deserves a lot of respect.

Cotto has another place to go with the Judah/Clottey winner. Considering that Top Rank has Clottey as as Cotto, that fight might be easier to make and certainly more profitable for Bob.

Personally, I'd like Williams to fight the winner of Cotto/Margarito or the winner of the WBC box off between Rodriguez and Berto BUT Al Haymon has both Williams and Berto so that one won't come off any time soon.

Floyd leaving the division didn't exactly clear the way for clarity. It did at the very least remove an Al Haymon fighter from the WW mix.

I thought Williams looked great on Saturday. The double jab was a huge key for him. And he clearly worked on getting the right space along with sitting down more on his left hand. I thought he looked very over trained for the first fight. From ringside, it didn't seem like he had even broke a sweat until the fourth round. A clear sign of having to cut weight the wrong way. I heard he had to run a few miles day of the weight in to get down to the limit. Then he overshot it.
buford54
Shane's wife should know better than to let him fight PW. Shane would plod around winging huge shots, trying to end the fight in one punch. PW would tear him up.
Shane doesn't beat anybody with a reach advantage on him.
Good job, PW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.