Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don King Presents: Prizefighter
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
FenderDG3
I have a Wii so I can't get the game until the fall, but I was curious if anybody has gotten or played it yet on the 360. For those of you who have how is it and who all is in the game? The video I saw looked pretty good, but it wouldn't be the first time a game looked good, but then the controls end up sucking and/or the game leads to a bad gaming experience overall.
thehype
Well, I don't really like the roster of fighters...pretty weak if you ask me.

Heavyweight
Samuel Peter
Shannon Brigs
Andrew Golota
Sergei Liakhovich

Cruiserweight
O'neill Bell
Chad Dawson
Steve Cunningham
Enzo Maccarinelli

Middleweight
Edison Miranda
Joe Calzaghe
Kelly Pavlik
Arthur Abraham
Daniel Santos
Ricardo Mayorga
Roman Karmazin

Welterweight
Andre Berto
Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.
Jose Luis Castillo
Ivan Kirpa
Luis Collazo

Lightweight
Juan Diaz
Julio Diaz
Joan Guzman
Joel Casamayor
Nate Campbell

Featherweight
Chris John
Juan Manuel Marquez
Daniel Ponce de Leon
Elio Rojas
Vic Darchinyan

Legends
Archie Moore
Max Baer
James Braddock
Ken Norton
Larry Holmes
Nigel Benn
Chris Eubank
Joe Louis
Floyd Patterson
Rocky Marciano
FenderDG3
You're right, it could be better. I never really played a lot of the Fight Night games, but it seems like there are a hell of a lot more fighters to choose from then FN.
KingEugene
I dont really like the roster either. It seems like they got fighters that didnt have big names but had notable names. No one on there thats really exciting so I doubt I'd buy it but if somebody bought it for me I'd play the hell out of it. LOL
BigG
The Lightweight division is really nice. Everything else sucks.
KingEugene
Whats appealing me to this game is the outside of the ring career mode. As far as making decisions outside of the ring and not just picking a fight, fighting, and getting paid for it. I like the fact that you'll actually get to live the life of your fighter.
Mean Mister Mustard
I have not played it but so far the gameplay looks like crap. The punches look wide and loopy and the footwork looks like all of these guys are Micky Ward. One reason why the gameplay videos suck is because the guy who is playing it may not know how to play. But from what I have seen the punches and the footwork suck.
dj necrogenic
From the reviews I have read this is a crappy game... Choppy at times, gameplay is horrible, my friend says its definitely not worth buying
BigG
I went to gamespot and I'm reading the same thing..game sucks, fight night is better. Career mode is dissapointing. Oh well...
thehype
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 11 2008, 03:04 AM) [snapback]392165[/snapback]
That's what I really like so far (still need to play it), but everybody is crying about a roster and seems as if they have written the game off already. So simple minded.

Whoa, whoa, whoa now...I'm not crying about the roster...just saying I don't like it. I mean, no light heavyweights at all...except for Chad Dawson, who they have fighting at cruiser...the heavyweight and welterweight divisions are pretty weak (Chavez Jr., but no Margarito or Cotto?)...even the legends could have been better.

Don't get me wrong...the career mode might be cool (although the reviews aren't sounding so great) and I'd definitely be playing with my own character, but still, when I'm puttin' the beatdown on the computer, I'd rather be playing against Cotto or Margarito than Chavez Jr., Collazo or Ivan Kirpa. Ivan Kirpa????

laugh.gif
D-MARV
Checked out some reviews and doesn't seem like its better than Fight Night!

Oh Well!

what's y'all favorite boxing video game?

I'll go with Mike Tyson Punch Out... Classic!
Mean Mister Mustard
I went to the 2k sports forum, people hate it.

Best boxing game of all has to be Knockout Kings 2001. The roster remains unrivaled by any of the other EA boxing games. The combinations were fluid, music choice was good, fights could be stopped on cuts as well, kidney and rabbit punches were available in the clinches and you could fight on the inside as well as outside.
thehype
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 11 2008, 11:06 PM) [snapback]392336[/snapback]
I wasn't singling you out, it was just a generalization in general. I have made the same comment that the roster isn't great. What I am driving at is that I have read heaps of people basically write the game off due to the roster without even playing it. That's the impression I got.
I know yous don't play soccer, but there are 2 games. EA FIFA game and Pro Evolution. EA is the flashy game, with all the licenses and the great graphics and Pro Evolution has some teams with different names, crappier graphics etc. But basically any soccer fan I know of will choose Pro Evolution most of the time because it's such a good game play.
My point was that I am willing to give a game a good shot regardless of the roster, but it felt like people didn't like the game from the start because of the roster.
Anyways, from the reviews, the game sound like shit, so all of this is probably irrelevant, lol.

I think it's a bit of a sweeping generalization to say that people are simple-minded simply because they don't like the roster though. Personally, I think the roster is fairly important...maybe not as important as gameplay, but it certainly does have some importance as to whether or not the masses will like the game...as do the graphics. I mean, if the gameplay and graphics aren't going to be that much better than any other game out on the market, you better at least make sure you have a roster that will generate enough name recognition to make the game worth buying. While a weak roster doesn't necessarily mean the game is horrible, it certainly is a con and the roster that Prizefighter has, well, if you weren't just an average joe and weren't a hardcore boxing fan, you probably wouldn't recognize anyone on that list. Maybe Calzaghe...MAYBE...but other than that, the legends are bigger stars than any of the active fighters they have on there. No, the roster doesn't necessarily mean that the game should be written off, but it certainly doesn't help.

And actually...I do play soccer and I do have PES on the WII...LOVE IT.
FenderDG3
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 12 2008, 05:36 AM) [snapback]392362[/snapback]
Checked out some reviews and doesn't seem like its better than Fight Night!

Oh Well!

what's y'all favorite boxing video game?

I'll go with Mike Tyson Punch Out... Classic!

Agreed... I loved that game as a kid and I still love it today.
D-MARV
Yeah me too. I used to use the cheat code to go straight to Tyson. LOL
flazi
Fitz, i agree with you the soccer games but i think pes has the better graphics now.
Nasty
A lot of the people posting on the 2k forums the first few days of release were EA trolls. If you check back now there are many people admitting that they were wrong about the game, and others claiming it's the best boxing sim to date.

I've played the game for a bit now and here's my take:

If you're a true boxing fan, a fan of the technical and strategic aspect to boxing, then you are really doing yourself a diservice if you don't at least try the game out. I think it's pretty damn good to be honest. However if you're a pure FN fan (which is a more arcade approach to boxing) then you might not enjoy PrizeFighter. In FN you created openings by using the parry as it magically stuns your opponent, there's none of that in PF. With PF you create openings by attacking at angles, stick and move, counter (which is pure evasion/timing based), footwork etc etc. All things that stay true to boxing.

It's a very sim approach to boxing and is a lot of fun when playing against another person, online or off. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not perfect, IMO the jab should do more damage while a few other punches should be toned down. The judging could also be a lot better. Still, when it comes down to the pure gameplay mechanics this trounces FNR3 because it represents the true sport of boxing so much better.

Right now I give the game a 7/10
If they patch the things I mention the game easily jumps to an 8/10

I felt GameInformers score was much more fair and accurate than IGNs or GameSpots. GI gave PF a 7.5/10

The game is not perfect but has a lot of potential, I love it.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Nasty @ Jun 13 2008, 07:08 PM) [snapback]392526[/snapback]
A lot of the people posting on the 2k forums the first few days of release were EA trolls. If you check back now there are many people admitting that they were wrong about the game, and others claiming it's the best boxing sim to date.

I've played the game for a bit now and here's my take:

If you're a true boxing fan, a fan of the technical and strategic aspect to boxing, then you are really doing yourself a diservice if you don't at least try the game out. I think it's pretty damn good to be honest. However if you're a pure FN fan (which is a more arcade approach to boxing) then you might not enjoy PrizeFighter. In FN you created openings by using the parry as it magically stuns your opponent, there's none of that in PF. With PF you create openings by attacking at angles, stick and move, counter (which is pure evasion/timing based), footwork etc etc. All things that stay true to boxing.

It's a very sim approach to boxing and is a lot of fun when playing against another person, online or off. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not perfect, IMO the jab should do more damage while a few other punches should be toned down. The judging could also be a lot better. Still, when it comes down to the pure gameplay mechanics this trounces FNR3 because it represents the true sport of boxing so much better.

Right now I give the game a 7/10
If they patch the things I mention the game easily jumps to an 8/10

I felt GameInformers score was much more fair and accurate than IGNs or GameSpots. GI gave PF a 7.5/10

The game is not perfect but has a lot of potential, I love it.

It would be ridiculous of me to criticize the game without having played it. However, based on the few videos 2K decided to release in their horrible publicity campaign, it is clear FightNight Round 3, as bad as it was compared to the original Fight Night of 2004, seems like gold compared to Prizefighter. Again, I have not played the game but the footwork seems too slow. I saw the Calzaghe-Pavlik clkip, Calzaghe looked like Baldomir in there. No footwork, he wasn't on his toes and every time someone was hit they would fumble around the ring as if they were ready to get knocked out. Plus the roster could be better.

Maybe this is why 2K only showed about 5 vidoes of gameplay before the release of the game.
Nasty
Looking at the videos I was skeptical as well, it's hard to explain but it does play better than how it looks. Yes, the collision detection is not great, the movement takes getting used to, the punches aren't as crisp as they should be. But, I can over look those things because of the strategy and boxing tactics still present within the game despite those shortcomings. It's one of those things where you just have to appreciate it for what it is.

I'm a boxing fan and a fan of sports videogames, so for me this is really the only option. I don't consider FNR3 true enough to boxing, and I doubt anything changes in that regard with R4.

Also, in the videos you're watching the AI, that's not where it's at with this game, I've played 2 matches against the AI then 14 straight matches online which is where you get your money's worth at. Depending on the fighter I can get some pretty good footwork going, my footwork with Miranda is pretty good so far.
thehype
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 12 2008, 09:59 PM) [snapback]392440[/snapback]
Yeah me too. I used to use the cheat code to go straight to Tyson. LOL

LOL.

Boooooooooo.

laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
As for Rosters nothing beats KO Kings 2000

The heavyweight division of Knockout Kings 2001 includes Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Lennox Lewis, Frank Bruno, Jack Dempsey, Eric "Butterbean" Esch, Michael Grant, Larry Holmes, Evander Holyfield, Ingemar Johanson, Sonny Liston, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Archie Moore, Ken Norton, Floyd Patterson, Earnie Shavers and David Tua.

In the middleweight and lightweight divisions, the game features Sugar Ray Leonard, Oscar De La Hoya, Shane Mosley, Julio Cesar Chavez, Hector Camacho, Oba Carr, Ruben Carter, Roberto Duran, Vernon Forrest, Marvin "Marvelous" Hagler, Bronco McKart, Ike "Bazooka" Quartey, Alexis Arguello, Kevin Kelley, Jake Lamotta, Danny "Little Red" Lopez, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini, Angel Manfredy, Floyd Mayweather, Barry McGuigan, Erik Morales, Sean O'Grady, Aaron Pryor, Sugar Ray Robinson, Danny Romero, Fernando Vargas and Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker.

BigG
I really loved that game. Gameplay/Roster wise it was the best. I believe Judah was in the game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.