Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik vs Calzaghe
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
U.S. Champ
This fight seems inevitable and I like Kelly by Violent KO, the man can box and he has hands like bricks who ya'll taking
JD
Tough call...I think I am taking The Ghost though.

He can keep up with Joe Cal's workrate, and there isn't a fighter out there who throws the right hand straighter...which is perfect for a southpaw who squares up. Terrific fight.
BigG
I will be rooting hard for Pavlik...I think Calzaghe might win a decision but who knows..Pavlik is a beast. Calzgahe is hittable and is so sloppy. He will literally have to fight the perfect fight to win a decision.
FenderDG3
I think Pavlik walks right through all those slaps from Cal too. Pavlik wins by TKO due to an accumulation of those basic, yet devistating 1-2s Pavlik throws!!!
Method
The odds shoud favor Calzaghe (and they should, IMO), which is great for me, because if ever there was a live dog to lay some loot on, it would be Kelly Pavlik stopping Joe Cal.

I can see scenerios where Pavlik's style could be perfect for Joe Cal. Kelly doesn't have much of a defense/footwork/countering ability of a Bernard Hopkins to keep Joe honest, so I could see scenerio where Joe could out box him (i.e. the way he did Lacy).

Styles make fights, and Pavlik ain't Lacy.

I could just as easily envision a scenerio where Pavlik handles all of Joe's offense (look, Pavlik handled Taylor's heat 2x's, and stood in the trenches with Miranda). Joe's not throwing heavy, and if he's wining shots I can see him getting caught with straight rights, crosses and uppers. Kelly has a full offenseive arsenal. He has the stamina, will and work rate. I could see Joe getting lulled into a shoot out, and he'll be looking down the barrel of the wrong gun.

Pavlik's best chance is at '68, and if I were him I'd stay out of Europe, as I could see the hometown ref taking any opportuinity to stop the fight on some pitty pat Calzaghe flurry if he looks like he's gonna lose it or could lose it (we've seen awkward stoppages in previous Joe Cal fights), and hell you saw what they just did in that Kimbo fight to preserve his money making ability.

A loss on Calzaghe's record ruins the European moneymaking machine. HOWEVER, a WIN for the Great White Hope, who, may I remind you, would be the Ring Magazine's Undisputed Middlweight, Super-Middleweight, and Light Heavyweight Champion of the World, and HBO's new money moaking darling. Oh imagine the po$$ibilities. It may come down to which network, SKY or HBO, has the mo$t influence (see: deepest pockets).
D-MARV
I really hope this fight happens. The two baddest whiteboys in game! My gut feeling is telling me Pavlik by late round TKO but everytime I go against Calzaghe he brings out another side that truly makes him great. Despite the feminine slaps and the sloppy technique, there is something about Calzaghe that is special. Three times I went against Calzaghe (Lacy, Kessler, Hopkins) and three times he left me eating crow! You think I have learned my lesson by now. F*ck it! give me Pavlik 10TKO. BRUTAL! Poppa Enzo throws in the towel.
buford54
Pulling for Pavlik...big time!
I don't feel like Calzaghe deserves to retire undefeated. He's ducked too many challenges in his life.
Still, I have a hard time picking against him. I thought that at 175, Hopkins could do it...but he showed the same Bernard that gave the fights to Taylor.

I honestly would put money on the fight not happening. I think that Enzo (Joe's dad/trainer) who said that Lockett could take Pavlik doesn't want his son to get hurt. They all talked about Lockett's power, and Kelly walked through the guy.
Not comparing Joe to Lockett...but everyone says they will walk through Joe's slaps, and then they all fall short. Kelly is the guy who could do it. He seriously doesn't mind taking a shot.
His only issue would be if Joe decided to man up and throw a right like the one that Taylor dropped him with. Because Joe would jump all over him, missing him with arm punches and the UK ref would stop the fight.

In the UK, Kelly would be lucky to make it into the ring without the fight getting stopped. The more I think about it, the more I want this fight. Kelly might be the guy.
KingEugene
I'm going with Pavlick...

....but only by KO though. They both have high work rates but if Pavlick doesnt stop him I believe Calzaghe will pull it out cause he has a lot of heart and he doesnt stop. I'm not a fan but I know a hard nose fighter when I see one in Calzaghe. But if they do fight I hope Pavlick knock his ass out brutally!
jp
I think this fight resembles JC's fight with Kessler. It's not like Pavlik has a whole lot of wrinkles to his game, if Calzaghe starts outboxing him (which is very likely) then what's plan B?
U.S. Champ
Personally I think Joe gets sloppy and if Kelly lands a right hand similar to the one B-Hop dropped him with he's gonna look like Zab did verses Kotsya Tzyu but lets hope Joe doesn't try and preserve the 0 and give Manfredo a rematch we all know he's known for ducking quack quack laugh.gif
hardhead
QUOTE(buford54 @ Jun 11 2008, 01:54 AM) [snapback]392138[/snapback]
Pulling for Pavlik...big time!
I don't feel like Calzaghe deserves to retire undefeated. He's ducked too many challenges in his life.
Still, I have a hard time picking against him. I thought that at 175, Hopkins could do it...but he showed the same Bernard that gave the fights to Taylor.

I honestly would put money on the fight not happening. I think that Enzo (Joe's dad/trainer) who said that Lockett could take Pavlik doesn't want his son to get hurt. They all talked about Lockett's power, and Kelly walked through the guy.
Not comparing Joe to Lockett...but everyone says they will walk through Joe's slaps, and then they all fall short. Kelly is the guy who could do it. He seriously doesn't mind taking a shot.
His only issue would be if Joe decided to man up and throw a right like the one that Taylor dropped him with. Because Joe would jump all over him, missing him with arm punches and the UK ref would stop the fight.

In the UK, Kelly would be lucky to make it into the ring without the fight getting stopped. The more I think about it, the more I want this fight. Kelly might be the guy.

Yep, Enzo seen that boy up close and personal, my guess is Calzaghe goes for Jones then retires undefeated. If they do fight though I believe Enzo will be throwing in the towel for his son, similar to Hopkins/Trinidad scenario. I also agree with some of the other posters that Pavlik doesn't mind taking a shot and will definitely keep the pressure on those 36 year old legs all fight and BOY does that man hit hard with rib/jaw crunching power. Those hooks, straights and uppercuts to the body and head are so devastating. I can hear them like I was ringside..

This is probably my most anticipated fight in all of boxing(Cotto/Mayweather was the other). I hope it happens before Calzaghe retires. If Pavlik takes on Abraham first that's a very dangerous fight and no easy task for either man.
The Original MrFactor
KP is great at keeping opponents at a distance. Calzaghe is great a shortening up distances. Have we ever seen Pavlik brawl with short crisp punches? I figure Joe is gonna get up close and right in Pavliks chest, same way he did Kessler(a conventional boxer). I figure Calzaghe/Pavlik to look alot like the Kessler fight. Maybe Joe goes down once. I think he'll be right in Pavliks face negating those long range bombs that KP throws. Joe by decision. With Pavlik's lack of defense, this may be easier than most think.
Method
In the UK, Kelly would be lucky to make it into the ring without the fight getting stopped.

LOL
Mean Mister Mustard
Give me Pavlik by DEC. I understand why some people would compare Pavlik to Kessler. Pavlik is white, a standard 1-2 fighter with a big right hand. The difference is that although Pavlik may be slower than Kessler he certainly won't be as intimidated as Kessler was midway through the fight. Plus, Pavlik can actually bang on the inside unlike Kessler. I would also say that Pavlik's defense is better than Kessler only because he does not back straight up.
Method
Only one way to find out...

Fight.

It would be risky, but if Pavlik REALLY REALLY wanted to ring the register, fight Abraham, Kessler, THEN Calzaghe. You would be risking an L, but if you come out on the winning end of both fights, you have a lot more leverage at the negotiating table.

Problem is, Joe likely wouldn't be around by th time you got that done. Additionally, if those two fights turn out to be wars, or tax you physically, you risk leaving some of yourself, perhaps some of yourself that you'd need to beat Calzaghe, in the ring versus the aforementioned two.
slap
pavilk will kill calzaghe if they ever fought joe cant fight 2 save his life
Thegreatequalizer
i think this is a bad style matchup for pavlik. i think once joe gets in his rhythm pavlik won't be able to do much. too fast and elusive for pavlik. joe by UD.
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(hardhead @ Jun 10 2008, 11:24 PM) [snapback]392161[/snapback]
Yep, Enzo seen that boy up close and personal, my guess is Calzaghe goes for Jones then retires undefeated. If they do fight though I believe Enzo will be throwing in the towel for his son,

I'll take Jones By TKO and Pavlik by brutal KO, Calzaghe is an overrated fighter and Roy or Kelly will prove that
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 11 2008, 09:34 AM) [snapback]392186[/snapback]
I still think Kessler is better than Pavlik.

Kessler wouldn't last Five rounds with Kelly
Mean Mister Mustard
A Jones win seems to be hard to envision seeing as how Jones stamina would be a factor. But I would love to see it.
U.S. Champ
Roy's legs are my only worry vs Joe but his Hand speed, Accuracy and Power should neutralize that I just hope it happens
Mean Mister Mustard
aNother thing is what happens if Jones wins. He'd never shut his mouth. He beat up Trinidad and all of a sudden he was acting like RJ again, if he beat Calzaghe we would never hear the end of it.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 11 2008, 10:34 AM) [snapback]392186[/snapback]
I still think Kessler is better than Pavlik.

Wow, break out the fireworks. Fitz, we kind of agree there. Kessler seems to be more conventional and has better movement defensively. Pavlik's sacrifices defense for all out offense at all times.

I'll also add, that Pavlik is an unknown commodity at higher weights. add to that fact that he'd be fighting the best guy at a higher weight. Maybe KP's punches dont have the same sting. Maybe he doesnt throw as many. Maybe he's slower. We've seen what Kessler can do at 68. Pavlik is unknown.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 11 2008, 05:29 PM) [snapback]392253[/snapback]
aNother thing is what happens if Jones wins. He'd never shut his mouth. He beat up Trinidad and all of a sudden he was acting like RJ again, if he beat Calzaghe we would never hear the end of it.

LOL... He'll go down as the greatest of all time! thumbsup_anim.gif
slap
[quote name='U.S. Champ' date='Jun 11 2008, 04:02 PM' post='392247']
I'll take Jones By TKO and Pavlik by brutal KO, Calzaghe is an overrated fighter and Roy or Kelly will prove that
[/q

LOL!!!!!!!!!! calzaghe is very overrated how in the the hell is p4p anything jones would kill him and pavlik would destroy him I would rather see pavlik vs jones before i see calzaghe get knocked out by either guy
BigG
I believe Pavlik is a harder/tougher fighter than Kessler is. Kessler seemed so bothered by BODYSLAPS from Calzaghe. Pavlik was walking through Jermain Taylors BOMBS.
WolfishPromistah
I said it before, from what I saw, and will again. Calzaghe cannot take it well to the body, and especially from someone who commits often enough, with authority, like Pavlik. Joe also is not one I expect to get through Kelly's right hand uppercut or cross for an entire fight, which the jab will set up throughout. Kelly, also a great finisher, will not allow Calzaghe to fight his tough-man style (Joe loves to try and match his opponent when he gets hit; specifically, like Shane Mosely, you hit him good, he's coming back at ya to get you better). The problem with that is…his fire power is not Kelly's, who is in my opinion more accurate a puncher than Kessler up close.
KingEugene
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Jun 11 2008, 05:02 PM) [snapback]392247[/snapback]

I agree
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.