Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oscar De La Hoya
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
Oscar De La Hoya says he's no longer planning to have two more fights before retiring. "One more and that's it," the Golden Boy told Reuters. "This is my final year. I'm doing one fight and hanging up the gloves."

My guess is Cotto-Margarito winner in December!
Chi-Town
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 12 2008, 08:36 AM) [snapback]392373[/snapback]
My guess is Cotto-Margarito winner in December!

I would agree....not a big Oscar nut hugger, but I would give him a decent chance to beat either guy. He may end up fighting Sergio Mora instead, but who knows
Method
I could see Cotto/Marg winner or Wright before Mora.
Big Slim Sweet
I doubt Oscar fights the Cotto-Margarito winner. Can't really see him letting Bob Arum get a piece of him one last time.

Winky Dinky Dog? No chance.

I think if Oscar's truly intent on fighting in September it will be against Mora, in either LA or LV, for that WBC junior-middleweight strap he's already held about a half-dozen times.

If Oscar's willing to push his fight back to November or December, then it's Hatton in Wemblay.

I for one don't really buy the whole one last fight thing anyway. I think Oscar still wants Floyd again and will remain lurking on the scene hoping to sniff that one out.

In the meantime I could see him fighting JCC Jr next May to stay busy.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jun 12 2008, 11:38 AM) [snapback]392387[/snapback]
I doubt Oscar fights the Cotto-Margarito winner. Can't really see him letting Bob Arum get a piece of him one last time.

Winky Dinky Dog? No chance.

I think if Oscar's truly intent on fighting in September it will be against Mora, in either LA or LV, for that WBC junior-middleweight strap he's already held about a half-dozen times.

If Oscar's willing to push his fight back to November or December, then it's Hatton in Wemblay.

I for one don't really buy the whole one last fight thing anyway. I think Oscar still wants Floyd again and will remain lurking on the scene hoping to sniff that one out.

In the meantime I could see him fighting JCC Jr next May to stay busy.

If he wants to go out on top he better go after Mora. Thats the easier fight and he can retire with a belt.
WolfishPromistah
Oscar has always taken on names though. For the sake of legacy and money, my guess is the Mararito / Cotto winner is the real deal. If Oscar was willing to do so against Hopkins, I see no reason he wouldn't for these guys, who are sure to bring bigger money after they fight each other.
Mean Mister Mustard
If he wants to look like an amateur in his last fight he should fight Wright.
BoxingStill#1
Delahoya Mosley 3 anyone?...
D-MARV
This is his last fight! He wants to leave with a bang and for the most money.

If Cotto wins in July Im willing to bet that he will fight Cotto in December!!!!!!

If Cotto loses, then it will be Ricky Hatton in England
The Original MrFactor
Felix Trinidad at a 164 catchweight.
Chi-Town
Just a point of clarification....Hatton has already turned down the idea of a DeLaHoya fight.

In response to Mustard on the possibility of fighting Winky, I think that the way the styles clash, Oscar would look very good against Winky. Think about it, Winky doesn't move around the ring, he too tires late in fights and the peek a boo style is perfect for Oscar. Say what you want about DeLaHoya, the guy can throw some flashy combinations, especially against stationary guys. I see Oscar "shoe shining" him to death and stealing a decision. But even with all that said, I doubt this fight would happen.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Jun 12 2008, 07:19 PM) [snapback]392416[/snapback]
Just a point of clarification....Hatton has already turned down the idea of a DeLaHoya fight.

No, Ricky Hatton turned down a fight at this time! Assuming that De La Hoya will probably extend his last fight until December rather than September I think that leaves Hatton plenty of time to prepare for a fight with de La Hoya. Also once talks get underway I find it very hard that Ricky Hatton would turn down that kind of money.
Oscar would look very good against Winky.

Doubt it! Both fighters are aging and at the end of their respective careers. Winky's style is all wrong for De La Hoya and basically everyone else for that matter. Winky is the bigger man and will be able to walk through all of Oscar's shots, "IF" Oscar is able to land. Winky's Jab should be the key to the fight and I would go with Winky by a competative but clear decision.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 12 2008, 06:56 PM) [snapback]392419[/snapback]
Doubt it! Both fighters are aging and at the end of their respective careers. Winky's style is all wrong for De La Hoya and basically everyone else for that matter. Winky is the bigger man and will be able to walk through all of Oscar's shots, "IF" Oscar is able to land. Winky's Jab should be the key to the fight and I would go with Winky by a competative but clear decision.

I would also add that DLH doesn't use his legs like he used to ( takes up a lot of stamina) and if you want to see how a Wright fight would go watch the Sturm fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 12 2008, 08:00 PM) [snapback]392420[/snapback]
I would also add that DLH doesn't use his legs like he used to ( takes up a lot of stamina) and if you want to see how a Wright fight would go watch the Sturm fight.

MMM,
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
That's what I meant when I mentioned their ages.
KingEugene
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Jun 12 2008, 11:48 AM) [snapback]392384[/snapback]
I would agree....not a big Oscar nut hugger, but I would give him a decent chance to beat either guy. He may end up fighting Sergio Mora instead, but who knows

Sergio Mora has to fight Forrest again in Sept. Dude had a rematch clause.
D-MARV
QUOTE(KingEugene @ Jun 12 2008, 08:14 PM) [snapback]392424[/snapback]
Sergio Mora has to fight Forrest again in Sept. Dude had a rematch clause.

Thanks for the update!
I was just wondering if there was a rematch clause
BigG
Cotto is really the only fight that makes sense...if he wants to go out fighting the best.
PR316
I doubt he'll fight Cotto. Too tough of a fight. Too brutal. I think Oscar wants to have a winnable fight here. My guess is that it will be Sergio Mora, being that Ricky Hatton already turned it down in favor of a Malignaggi fight.

The only other out there is Trinidad but that would have to be at a weight of about 165 pounds and Tito last time out couldn't even make 170. And I honestly don't think Oscar is too keen on fighting so far out of his element being heavy and all where his hand speed, reflexes, and stamina would suffer big time.

Its just difficult for me to see Oscar give any of these youngsters like Cotto, Williams, or even a 30 year old Margarito a fight when at this point it would be very difficult for him to win those fights.

I don't see much out there for Oscar now. If I have to take a stab, I'm gonna say Mora, at 154 pounds and win, lose or draw, Oscar retires for good.
The Original MrFactor
The winner of Cotto/Margarito or Trinidad at a catchweight. Those seem to be the biggest names available. In my opinion, Oscar wants a winnable fight as his last. He wont fight Winky. Margarito/Cotto winner is a risky fight that he can look good in losing. It would be the official passing of the torch. Trinidad at 164 would pose some risk, but hell, he already outboxed Trinidad for 9 rounds. He can do it again.

Fights I dont want to see...

DLH Vs Hatton
DLH vs Manny Pacquiao
DLH vs Mayweather
DLH vs Chavez Jr
D-MARV
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jun 12 2008, 11:05 PM) [snapback]392444[/snapback]
I doubt he'll fight Cotto. Too tough of a fight. Too brutal. I think Oscar wants to have a winnable fight here. My guess is that it will be Sergio Mora, being that Ricky Hatton already turned it down in favor of a Malignaggi fight.
The only other out there is Trinidad but that would have to be at a weight of about 165 pounds and Tito last time out couldn't even make 170. And I honestly don't think Oscar is too keen on fighting so far out of his element being heavy and all where his hand speed, reflexes, and stamina would suffer big time.
Its just difficult for me to see Oscar give any of these youngsters like Cotto, Williams, or even a 30 year old Margarito a fight when at this point it would be very difficult for him to win those fights.
I don't see much out there for Oscar now. If I have to take a stab, I'm gonna say Mora, at 154 pounds and win, lose or draw, Oscar retires for good.

I don't think Oscar is worried about getting into a brutal fight! He said he wants to go out with a bang. Oscar has always fought top Class opposition and I doubt he finishes his career against a contender fighter like Mora. He wants to add to his legacy! Cotto is the fight he wants. There is no reason for me too believe that Cotto will walk straight through De La Hoya. (He didn't walk though Shane) This is a winnable fight for Oscar. As for Margarito, I actually would favor Oscar in that fight unless Tony shows me something on July 26.

Oscar De La Hoya Vs Miguel Cotto! That's the fight.
Imperius3
Winner of Cotto-Margarito, hands DOWN! It would be a great, great fight that would do wonders for each fighter's legacy. And of course it would bring in the most money. This is a no brainer! Winner of Cotto-Margarito is the clincher.
Chi-Town
Check out Dan Rafael's column posted today. Just as I said, Hatton is not a possibility, Golden Boy is trying to make Mora-Moselyif they can avoid the rematch clause AND the mandatory. Forrests people have indicated that they would "step aside" under the right conditions. Oscar's last and only remaining fight for the year will be on Dec.6 (HBO PPV) versus Cotto if he gets past Margarito according to Richard Schaeffer.
slap
after cotto beats the hell out of margarito de la hoya will have know choice but to fight him in december if he wants to go out fighting the best but i can see cotto beating de la hoya easy 117-111 then we will see a mayweather cotto fight next year
PR316
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 13 2008, 10:23 AM) [snapback]392463[/snapback]
I don't think Oscar is worried about getting into a brutal fight! He said he wants to go out with a bang. Oscar has always fought top Class opposition and I doubt he finishes his career against a contender fighter like Mora. He wants to add to his legacy! Cotto is the fight he wants. There is no reason for me too believe that Cotto will walk straight through De La Hoya. (He didn't walk though Shane) This is a winnable fight for Oscar. As for Margarito, I actually would favor Oscar in that fight unless Tony shows me something on July 26.

Oscar De La Hoya Vs Miguel Cotto! That's the fight.

Thats the fight we may want but IMO its not gonna happen. I would be absolutely SHOCKED that in Oscar's last fight, he takes on a young, brutal champion that could not only beat him, but hurt him really badly and potentially give him a bad beating. This is not a winnable fight for Oscar at this point. Oscar is no Sugar Shane. Not saying he'll be KO'd early, but he'll take a beating for a big portion of the fight and either barely survive 12 rounds or get stopped late. If Oscar wanted Cotto, he would have fought him in May instead of Stevie Forbes. But the Forbes fight showed us why Oscar didn't want to fight Cotto, and I don't blame him. Had it been Cotto in there landing that leather instead of little Stevie, Oscar does not go 12 rounds.

It will be one of either...

Sergio Mora- Big hit it would be in LA. Oscar's last fight against an exciting young talent with no punching power but with a great story, whom is also from the East LA area, whom grew up watching Oscar fight, etc. etc. This fight would be MASSIVE in LA and with Mora's recent win over Forrest, all it does is add more fuel to this fire. A title is on the line, and alot of people would give Oscar a great chance to go out with a solid win. Odds are this will be it.

Tito Trinidad- At about 165 pounds this would be. Great story to this fight with most believing Oscar won but gave it away. Huge money at the box office, would break all records and with both older, slower, and heavier, there's guaranteed to be more action. Problem here is that Oscar probably wouldn't want to give up his speed advantage at this higher weight, so that right there sorta throws a monkey wrench into it, but there is more than enough money for both parties to come to an agreement here.

I don't expect Oscar to really take on a top guy here. I would honestly be very surprised if in Oscar's last fight, he would take too big a risk.
D-MARV
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jun 14 2008, 10:40 AM) [snapback]392563[/snapback]
Thats the fight we may want but IMO its not gonna happen. I would be absolutely SHOCKED that in Oscar's last fight, he takes on a young, brutal champion that could not only beat him, but hurt him really badly and potentially give him a bad beating. This is not a winnable fight for Oscar at this point. Oscar is no Sugar Shane. Not saying he'll be KO'd early, but he'll take a beating for a big portion of the fight and either barely survive 12 rounds or get stopped late. If Oscar wanted Cotto, he would have fought him in May instead of Stevie Forbes. But the Forbes fight showed us why Oscar didn't want to fight Cotto, and I don't blame him. Had it been Cotto in there landing that leather instead of little Stevie, Oscar does not go 12 rounds.
It will be one of either...

Sergio Mora- Big hit it would be in LA. Oscar's last fight against an exciting young talent with no punching power but with a great story, whom is also from the East LA area, whom grew up watching Oscar fight, etc. etc. This fight would be MASSIVE in LA and with Mora's recent win over Forrest, all it does is add more fuel to this fire. A title is on the line, and alot of people would give Oscar a great chance to go out with a solid win. Odds are this will be it.

Tito Trinidad- At about 165 pounds this would be. Great story to this fight with most believing Oscar won but gave it away. Huge money at the box office, would break all records and with both older, slower, and heavier, there's guaranteed to be more action. Problem here is that Oscar probably wouldn't want to give up his speed advantage at this higher weight, so that right there sorta throws a monkey wrench into it, but there is more than enough money for both parties to come to an agreement here.
I don't expect Oscar to really take on a top guy here. I would honestly be very surprised if in Oscar's last fight, he would take too big a risk.

Oscar didn't fight Cotto in May becuase he wanted a tune up for Floyd!

Oscar said it himself... If Cotto wins in July then it's De La Hoya-Cotto in december! Why do you keep bringing up Mora? He has to fight Vernon again!

Oscar will not go to 165 to fight Tito. That is simply too much weight for Oscar.

That brings us back to point A. Cotto!

Unless Tony can put a dent in those plans, let's bring in the Christmas season with the Golden Boy and Miguel Cotto!

P.S
The fight would be closer than you expect! and Im far from a De La Hoya fan.
streetlion1
No way DLH goes too far above the weight he is now..definitely not to 160+. For his one more fight he should definitely fight the winner of Cotto-Margarito. Could stop Cotto..Cotto has power and is the best body puncher in the sport but with Oscar using his jab I believe Cotto would take alot of punishment. Shane doesnt have a jab or the power of DLH so it would be a whole different fight all together.He wins a 12 rd. decision against Margarito IMO. I really dont like the Hatton possibility because Hatton wouldnt last more than 3 rounds. Mora takes a one sided beating.
PR316
I think you guys are gonna be disappointed. If Oscar takes on the winner of Cotto/Margarito for his last fight, I'd give him some props. And this is coming from a non-Oscar fan.

That being said, I just can't imagine it. Not now. Not while he's on the way out. Miguel Cotto is not a winnable proposition for him at this point. Not with the way Stevie Forbes was touching him up, and busting his face. Margarito would be very tough at this point too though Oscar is a better fighter.

Hatton won't happen. He's already said no and he's getting set for a November fight with Malignaggi. Winky Wright can't make 154 and I don't think Oscar would take that fight anyway.

Watch my friends. It will be Sergio Mora. A fast awkward guy, who's young and fresh, but has no power and makes mistakes Oscar can capitalize on. WBC belt is on the line so Oscar has the chance to add another belt to his collection. Vernon Forrest will be paid step aside money for this fight to happen. Just watch.
Imperius3
This is another time where I think some people are giving one fighter too much credit (Cotto) and another fighter not enough credit (DLH).

DLH is not Alphonso Gomez. DLH still has enough skill and power to make a very competitive fight with Cotto. And why should DLH be afraid? He is a fighter who has been fighting for years. He knows how to take care of himself. People shouldn't be bringing up the Forbes fight either, especially since DLH won every round of that fight. Were people really expecting DLH to not get hit at all in that fight? Going 12 rounds in a boxing match without getting hit...I don't think that's ever been done before.

I mean shit, some of you are predicting Margarito to beat Cotto, and DLH is much better than him. Judah lasted 11 rounds, and although he was taking a beating, you could argue he might have been able to finish the fight. My only concern would be DLH fading down the stretch after taking some vicious body shots from Cotto. That's the main reason why I'm leaning towards Cotto to win a close decision. Even then though, this is a fight that still needs a lot of thought, IMO.
D-MARV
This is another time where I think some people are giving one fighter too much credit (Cotto) and another fighter not enough credit (DLH).
True!
DLH is not Alphonso Gomez.

Very True!
People shouldn't be bringing up the Forbes fight either
Forbes is a slick, smart boxer who would touch up alot of fighters!

I mean shit, some of you are predicting Margarito to beat Cotto, and DLH is much better than him.

AMEN BROTHER!

Good Post! thumbsup_anim.gif
PR316
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jun 16 2008, 08:56 AM) [snapback]392676[/snapback]

DLH is not Alphonso Gomez. DLH still has enough skill and power to make a very competitive fight with Cotto. And why should DLH be afraid? He is a fighter who has been fighting for years. He knows how to take care of himself. People shouldn't be bringing up the Forbes fight either, especially since DLH won every round of that fight. Were people really expecting DLH to not get hit at all in that fight? Going 12 rounds in a boxing match without getting hit...I don't think that's ever been done before.

I mean shit, some of you are predicting Margarito to beat Cotto, and DLH is much better than him. Judah lasted 11 rounds, and although he was taking a beating, you could argue he might have been able to finish the fight. My only concern would be DLH fading down the stretch after taking some vicious body shots from Cotto. That's the main reason why I'm leaning towards Cotto to win a close decision. Even then though, this is a fight that still needs a lot of thought, IMO.

So do you believe that 8 years ago Forbes lasts 12 rounds with Oscar???... The same Oscar who at that time was fighting guys like Quartey, Trinidad, and Mosley???... The same Oscar that was 27 years old???...

Its not about criticism, its about FACTS... Oscar is not the same guy anymore. His physical skills have deteriorated noticeably. His punches lack snap, his skin busts up easily now(Keep in mind Forbes is a light puncher), his reflexes are gone, and his hand speed has slowed down.

There is no way De La Hoya goes 12 rounds with Cotto getting hit that much like against Forbes. Just not happening. Cotto will be hitting Oscar with more accurate shots and more power behind them than Forbes had, and he would make Oscar WORK for 3 minutes of every round. Thats a tough proposition for a guy now who's virtually semi-retired and 34 years old. Not to mention he fights mostly 1 time every year now, compared to a 28 year old who's in his prime, active, very strong, heavy handed and hard headed.

I honestly see no reason for Oscar to take this fight. Not at this point of his career. Oscar should take on a semi-difficult opponent who will make him work and make it hard for him but who probably can't beat him. I say, pay Vernon Forrest step aside money, and make your last fight against Sergio Mora and win, lose, or draw, hang up the gloves.
D-MARV

So do you believe that 8 years ago Forbes lasts 12 rounds with Oscar???...
What does this have to do with Miguel Cotto?

Cotto will be hitting Oscar with more accurate shots and more power behind them than Forbes had
I beg to differ! Cotto hits harder than Forbes but Stevie is a slick Mo'Fo with accurate punching.

and he would make Oscar WORK for 3 minutes of every round.
Yeah, Just like he made Mosley work! no2.gif

I honestly see no reason for Oscar to take this fight.

HEELLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO! it's only the biggest fight for him to make with Mayweather retired!

Not at this point of his career.

Why Not?... why not finish your career with a high profile fight against a rising pound 4 pounder?
Imperius3
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jun 16 2008, 07:32 PM) [snapback]392746[/snapback]
So do you believe that 8 years ago Forbes lasts 12 rounds with Oscar???... The same Oscar who at that time was fighting guys like Quartey, Trinidad, and Mosley???... The same Oscar that was 27 years old???...
Its not about criticism, its about FACTS... Oscar is not the same guy anymore. His physical skills have deteriorated noticeably. His punches lack snap, his skin busts up easily now(Keep in mind Forbes is a light puncher), his reflexes are gone, and his hand speed has slowed down.

There is no way De La Hoya goes 12 rounds with Cotto getting hit that much like against Forbes. Just not happening. Cotto will be hitting Oscar with more accurate shots and more power behind them than Forbes had, and he would make Oscar WORK for 3 minutes of every round. Thats a tough proposition for a guy now who's virtually semi-retired and 34 years old. Not to mention he fights mostly 1 time every year now, compared to a 28 year old who's in his prime, active, very strong, heavy handed and hard headed.

I honestly see no reason for Oscar to take this fight. Not at this point of his career. Oscar should take on a semi-difficult opponent who will make him work and make it hard for him but who probably can't beat him. I say, pay Vernon Forrest step aside money, and make your last fight against Sergio Mora and win, lose, or draw, hang up the gloves.

Forbes has a chin of steel. No, I don't think a prime DLH would knock him out, but that's neither here nor there. I'm not arguing that DLH isn't in his prime anymore. I guess where we differ is how much we think DLH has declined. IMO, he is not in his prime, but he is still an A class fighter, kinda like Mosley. You seem to be implying that he is a walking corpse, and I don't agree with that. Yes, DLH will definitely have to "WORK"...it's a fight after all, but Cotto is not necessarily some formidable demigod. DLH will have to dig deep, and I believe he is still capable of doing so.

You see no reason at all for DLH to take this fight? Not even for legacy? Glory? Or a huge amount of money? So what if he chooses to take the harder fight. Good for him, boxers should be like that. Even if he loses, he doesn't lose much. I see no problems here.
Big Slim Sweet
I'm with PR316 all the way on this debate. Oscar taking on Cotto for his final fight has me shaking my head. Hey - I'd give him all the props in the world for doing it, but Oscar would get his ass beat.

Oscar is not Shane. In their primes, they were comparable fighters, but Shane's a guy who steady stays in the gym. Oscar is a guy who lives the good life nine months a year and then gets himself back in top shape once a year. Mid 30's that starts to take its toll, and you see all the signs wih ODLH, like PR was saying. At this stage of their careers, I believe there is no comparison - Oscar has deteriorated far more than Shane has. Not even close.

Cotto WILL make Oscar work three minutes of each round, and that WILL wear Oscar out in the late rounds. From the Mosley fight there seems to be some growing imperception that Cotto has stamina issues. Negative. He just couldn't quite keep up with Shane down the stretch, but Shane has always been a beast when it comes to stamina. Hell it was far and away the single biggest difference between him and Oscar in their two fights. Also, while Cotto may have been in retreat during those later rounds against Mosley, he was still popping him nicely with the jab and making him work to get off. Those late rounds were far closer, IMO, than the late rounds of Shane's two fights with Oscar, where Oscar was clearly winded and at times just trying to hang on it seemed.

And I also see no reason for Oscar to take the fight with Cotto at this point. Why? Cause as huge as the fight is, virtually any fight Oscar takes will be almost or just as huge. ODLH-Mora would be almost as huge. ODLH vs. Hatton or Pacquiao would be just as huge. Oscar has too many lucrative options to go through what Cotto would put him through.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jun 18 2008, 01:57 PM) [snapback]392930[/snapback]
I'm with PR316 all the way on this debate. Oscar taking on Cotto for his final fight has me shaking my head. Hey - I'd give him all the props in the world for doing it, but Oscar would get his ass beat.

Oscar is not Shane. In their primes, they were comparable fighters, but Shane's a guy who steady stays in the gym. Oscar is a guy who lives the good life nine months a year and then gets himself back in top shape once a year. Mid 30's that starts to take its toll, and you see all the signs wih ODLH, like PR was saying. At this stage of their careers, I believe there is no comparison - Oscar has deteriorated far more than Shane has. Not even close.

Cotto WILL make Oscar work three minutes of each round, and that WILL wear Oscar out in the late rounds. From the Mosley fight there seems to be some growing imperception that Cotto has stamina issues. Negative. He just couldn't quite keep up with Shane down the stretch, but Shane has always been a beast when it comes to stamina. Hell it was far and away the single biggest difference between him and Oscar in their two fights. Also, while Cotto may have been in retreat during those later rounds against Mosley, he was still popping him nicely with the jab and making him work to get off. Those late rounds were far closer, IMO, than the late rounds of Shane's two fights with Oscar, where Oscar was clearly winded and at times just trying to hang on it seemed.

And I also see no reason for Oscar to take the fight with Cotto at this point. Why? Cause as huge as the fight is, virtually any fight Oscar takes will be almost or just as huge. ODLH-Mora would be almost as huge. ODLH vs. Hatton or Pacquiao would be just as huge. Oscar has too many lucrative options to go through what Cotto would put him through.

Before I say anything else let me make one thing clear... If De La Hoya-Cotto happens, I would favor Cotto by UD! I just think that the fight would be closer then what you guys are making it out to be. Yes, Oscar is old! but this guys has been in with guys that would have pounded Cotto! He has the experience and Im sure Oscar would find a way to be competative. Oscar is no Gomez!
Cotto is a great fighter but he has flaws. Oscar still has quick hands and Cotto is very hittable. Oscar is a tall welterweight and we have yet to see how Cotto would deal with a Tall fighter with Boxing skills.

And despite what you may think... a fight with Mora would be nowhere near as big as a fight with Cotto. Maybe in LA.

Hatton has said that he doesn't want to fight De La Hoya now and a Pacquiao fight just wont happen.
Imperius3
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jun 18 2008, 12:57 PM) [snapback]392930[/snapback]

Are you DLH's mother? DLH is a man, he can take care of himself. It's his choice, and he can take a beating if he has to. However, DLH is capable of winning rounds off of Cotto. You don't have to fight every second of every round to beat Cotto. I don't know where that's coming from. There is such a thing called countering. Anyway, DLH has what it takes to make things competitive, and there is really no reason to say he can't. Yeah, his reflexes aren't as sharp, but they're not bad. His punches do still have snap. I remembering him buckling Forbes on more than one occasion. His hands are still quick, and he still has decent power. PR also mentioned that his skin "busts up easily now", even though he was never cut in the Forbes fight. So once again, where is that coming from? And once again, HE WON EVERY ROUND AGAINST FORBES. Maybe if Forbes won a handful of rounds you could make an argument. But that's not the case here.

There is also no way in hell DLH-Mora would do as well as DLH-Cotto. Not even close. Where the hell are you people coming from? DLH-Cotto would be a great fight, and it's the best fight to make right now.
Douchebag
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jun 19 2008, 04:51 AM) [snapback]393009[/snapback]
Are you DLH's mother? DLH is a man, he can take care of himself. It's his choice, and he can take a beating if he has to. However, DLH is capable of winning rounds off of Cotto. You don't have to fight every second of every round to beat Cotto. I don't know where that's coming from. There is such a thing called countering. Anyway, DLH has what it takes to make things competitive, and there is really no reason to say he can't. Yeah, his reflexes aren't as sharp, but they're not bad. His punches do still have snap. I remembering him buckling Forbes on more than one occasion. His hands are still quick, and he still has decent power. PR also mentioned that his skin "busts up easily now", even though he was never cut in the Forbes fight. So once again, where is that coming from? And once again, HE WON EVERY ROUND AGAINST FORBES. Maybe if Forbes won a handful of rounds you could make an argument. But that's not the case here.

There is also no way in hell DLH-Mora would do as well as DLH-Cotto. Not even close. Where the hell are you people coming from? DLH-Cotto would be a great fight, and it's the best fight to make right now.

I'm willing to bet that Mora has as big or even bigger name then Cotto amongst casual fans. Just because of the Contender. The fight would probably make around the same amount of money.
Big Slim Sweet
Didn't mean to imply I felt Oscar wouldn't be competitive in defeat. I was more talking about the physical punishment Cotto would dish out to him. Oscar just doesn't need to deal with that when he has other options. Is Oscar looking to go out making a statement by lasting 12 rounds with a gifted, physical, in his prime, hungry young lion? If so, more power to him. I just have my doubts.

And don't rule out ODLH-Pacquiao so quick, crazy as it sounds. I used to dismiss this fight as being ridiculous too, but if Pac blasts out David Diaz next week, hey you never know what some folks will do for money...
Imperius3
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jun 19 2008, 10:10 AM) [snapback]393021[/snapback]
I'm willing to bet that Mora has as big or even bigger name then Cotto amongst casual fans. Just because of the Contender. The fight would probably make around the same amount of money.

Nah, Cotto is more popular, especially among Puerto Ricans. If the Contender gives them that much exposure, then Contender fans probably tuned in to the Cotto-Gomez fight and saw what Cotto was all about.
D-MARV
Cotto-De La Hoya would be much bigger than De La Hoya-MOra.

Can you imagine Oscar De La Hoya- Miguel Cotto @ Madison Square Garden!!!!!!!!

That would be sick!
Spyder
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Jun 19 2008, 03:43 PM) [snapback]393035[/snapback]
Nah, Cotto is more popular, especially among Puerto Ricans. If the Contender gives them that much exposure, then Contender fans probably tuned in to the Cotto-Gomez fight and saw what Cotto was all about.

Hell yeah! My fiance knows who Miguel Cotto is after the beating he gave Gomez...she has never even heard the name Sergio Mora...part of that might have something to do with me sheltering her from watching the garbage fighters, unless they're getting beat down by an elite guy.

She told me that Miguel Cotto scares her... laugh.gif

thumbsup_anim.gif
hardhead
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 19 2008, 10:27 PM) [snapback]393042[/snapback]
Cotto-De La Hoya would be much bigger than De La Hoya-MOra.

Can you imagine Oscar De La Hoya- Miguel Cotto @ Madison Square Garden!!!!!!!!

That would be sick!

I agree, ODLH/Cotto would be a very huge fight, much bigger than Mora(although that fight would sell well too). In fact, If I had to pick for one more fight for De La Hoya to have out of all the potential opponents it would probably be Cotto. That is assuming Cotto beats Margarito(which I get the sneaky feeling an upset might be in the works) which will be no easy task as Margarito is a big, strong welter unlike the welters that Cotto has fought thus far.

It's obviously a much greater risk than Mora, but if he wins boy does it greatly help to restore some of his legacy. De La Hoya has come up short in most of his big challenges(Mosley, Trinidad, Hopkins, Sturm etc) in the last 10 years or so.
King Eugene
I wish he'd just stay at Jr. Middle and fight Winky already. Hell its a hard fight which he "never" runs from and his name alone will make a big draw.
D-MARV
I just dont think Oscar wants anything to do with Winky. His style is too difficult to figure out and to be honest with you, I don't feel like that fight does as well as any of Oscar's other options!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.