Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WORST EVER CHAMPIONS
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
blackbelt2003
I'm fed up of reading the same old 'p4p' lists.

I thought it would be cool to look at the other end of the scale: the worst champions EVER.

I'll throw a couple possibilities out there...can any of the historians add some more in? And I don't mean guys from 1795, when boxing was all messed up and in it's infancy, I mean of the modern era, say, World War II onwards.

Luis Santana...remember this guy, a journeyman who won two title fights with Terry Norris, both on DQ's, and then got flattened in the third fight? I don't think he had any real wins of note and won his title in the worst possible way.

William Guthrie...did NOTHING to earn a vacant title shot, won it, then got flattened by little middleweight Reggie Johnson and has done nothing since. That leaves him with virtually NO wins of note.

Bruce Seldon...managed to win a vacant belt and even made a couple of low key defences, but he has to be the worst title holder at heavyweight ever. Especially for collapsing like a faggot against Mike Tyson.

Floyd Mayweather...cuz he's a gaylord.

Black

WindyCityP
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 13 2008, 10:42 AM) [snapback]392458[/snapback]
Baldomir and Maussa.

Are you talking real champs or alphabet soup holders? Baldy was a real champ and terrible as opposed to Maussa who was a alphabet holder and horrible.
Method
John Ruiz.

Also agree on Baldo, Maoussa...and would throw Mayorga in there too.
blackbelt2003
Maussa is a definite candidate...but Baldy? C'mon, he at least posted two legitimate title wins over credible opposition in Zab Judah and Arturo Gatti.

Lots of other titlists have called themselves world champions with much less than that!

Black
Oscare4
Gavin Rees
BGv2.0
I know I'm going to get flack for this....but I maintain one of the WORST HW "champions" in years was Vitali Klitchko!

The guy beats a fat out of shape 40 year old golfer and defends once with a fat Danny Williams and then cancels 5 fights with Rahman and retires.

Now...part of the reason I say it's awful in terms of history is due to how much stock fans put into him as a champion. To this day MANY people still hail him as a powerful champion....based on the above.

Up until Vitali, I always thought Bowe's title "reign" was pretty terrible.....BUT....beating Holyfield for the title and defending against ancient (at that time) Ferguson and Dokes, then losing it to Holyfield....is MILES ahead of Vitali.
kidbazooka1
Vivian Harris was a pretty sorry title holder.
monzo
kermit cintron
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(monzo @ Jun 14 2008, 12:11 AM) [snapback]392549[/snapback]
kermit cintron

I don't think Cintron was as bad as some of the guys mentioned his only two losses are to Margarito and thats nothing to be ashamed about.
Warlord
Surprised no one mentioned this. Leon Spinks by far.

And Corey Spinks too. Cause he's gay.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jun 14 2008, 09:15 AM) [snapback]392557[/snapback]
And Corey Spinks too. Cause he's gay.

Gayer than Floyd Mayweather? That's pretty gay.

How about Satoshi Shingaki, the guy who Jeff Fenech beat for the bantam crown. He was supposedly pretty shitty.

Black
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 14 2008, 03:59 AM) [snapback]392556[/snapback]
Crumbling to your knees and balling your eyes out is though.

Whats wrong with crying after a loss? cool.gif
Warlord
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Jun 14 2008, 01:17 PM) [snapback]392577[/snapback]
Gayer than Floyd Mayweather? That's pretty gay.

Yes. At least Floyd never cried after he WON a fight.

Corey Spinks [after his gift decision over Roman Karmazin]: "Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Nobody never believed in me, man! But I knew...(sob) all along...(sob) in my heart...(sob) that I could get it done."
gods son
germans

i cant stand hasim rahman
streetlion1
Floyd Mayweather

Hasim Rahman

John Ruiz

Ricky Hatton
D-MARV
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Jun 14 2008, 10:30 PM) [snapback]392603[/snapback]
Floyd Mayweather

Hasim Rahman

John Ruiz

Ricky Hatton

Come on Streetlion, You're being to harsh on Mayweather and Hatton! laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jun 14 2008, 09:35 PM) [snapback]392600[/snapback]
Yes. At least Floyd never cried after he WON a fight.

He didn't?

You better check the end of that Gatti fight.

laugh.gif
thehype
Anybody mention Buster Douglas yet?
D-MARV
QUOTE(thehype @ Jun 14 2008, 11:16 PM) [snapback]392612[/snapback]
Anybody mention Buster Douglas yet?

good one thumbsup_anim.gif
He was great for one night!
thehype
How about Trevor Berbick or Pinklon Thomas?

James Bonecrusher Smith perhaps?

What about Tony Tucker?

laugh.gif

Randall Bailey?

laugh.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
How about Primo Carnera refered by experts as the worst Heavyweight champion ever. The dude was so bad he even lost fights that were fixed in his favor.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 14 2008, 11:40 PM) [snapback]392616[/snapback]
How about Primo Carnera refered by experts as the worst Heavyweight champion ever. The dude was so bad he even lost fights that were fixed in his favor.

From what I've heard and read Primo was a pretty bad champ.
Warlord
QUOTE(thehype @ Jun 14 2008, 10:12 PM) [snapback]392610[/snapback]
He didn't?

You better check the end of that Gatti fight.

laugh.gif

Sadly I didn't watch that fight, and I don't remember why now. Was that shit PPV or HBO? If it was PPV, I didn't buy it because I knew how it was going to turn out. If it was HBO, then I was probably out of the country at the time. Long enough ago now that I can't recall.
thehype
QUOTE(Warlord @ Jun 15 2008, 04:19 AM) [snapback]392624[/snapback]
Sadly I didn't watch that fight, and I don't remember why now. Was that shit PPV or HBO? If it was PPV, I didn't buy it because I knew how it was going to turn out. If it was HBO, then I was probably out of the country at the time. Long enough ago now that I can't recall.

Yeah...well...he cried...as if he just fulfilled a lifelong dream. Who knew that a win over a "punching bag" could invoke so much emotion out of the pound-for-pound king.

Warlord
QUOTE(thehype @ Jun 15 2008, 10:54 PM) [snapback]392664[/snapback]
Yeah...well...he cried...as if he just fulfilled a lifelong dream. Who knew that a win over a "punching bag" could invoke so much emotion out of the pound-for-pound king.

AHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA! laugh.gif Awesome fucking pics. He looks like he just whipped Sugar Ray Robinson or pre-Parkinsons Ali. Wow! laugh.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Does the WBO count?

Henry Akiwande, Herbie Hide.

What about Frank Bruno or Shannon (I'm the greatest cause I did it with asthma) Briggs? They both suck.

And that's just the heavyweights.

Hey what about recent Light Heavy 'boss' Clinton Woods! There's someone from recent memory that wasn't too good either.

rusty_trombone
has anyone mentioned "the troof", Maussa?
blackbelt2003
I don't think anyone has beaten Luis Santana for the prize yet.

I would say he was, hands down, the worst champion ever...unless of course you factor in IBO, WBO, WBF etc etc.

Black
pacco_diablo
Not to discredit anyone, because they all were champs, but Oliver McCall stands out as being pretty lucky. Probably a lot more just like him throughout boxing history.
BigG
What about Sergei Lyakovich
D-MARV
I dont know if someone already mentioned him, but Oleg Maskaev was a horrible champ!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.