Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calzaghe rejects Pavlik fight.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
buford54
The proposed October 18 superfight between WBC/WBA/WBO super middleweight champ Joe Calzaghe and WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik appears to be off. "I think it's unlikely," Calzaghe told the South Wales Argus. "I'm not sure if Pavlik really wants to face me at the moment. He would have little to gain because I believe I would definitely beat him and, with respect to Gary Lockett, I would be a step-up too far for Pavlik." Calzaghe called a clash with Roy Jones Jr. "the right fight for me at the moment."

You know...it's this kind of crap that IMO has ruined the careers of both Roy and Joe. It's why they never fought before. Roy would say, "I'm not fighting in outside of the US. Besides, I'd beat him anyway so what's the point?"
And Joe would say, "I want to fight Roy Jones, except I can make more money in England and he won't come over here, so it's not worth it."

Now he won't fight Pavlik because "he's not sure Pavlik wants the fight because Calzaghe thinks he would win."
What the hell kind of reasoning is that? I think I'll win, so I'm not sure he wants the fight?
Besides...how is the fight w/ Roy a foregone conclusion? Roy often ducks out of fights for any or no reason at all? I think Joe better keep a couple of options open.

PUERTOROCKS
I dont think Joe wants any part of Palvik. Palvik should fly to Whales and call him out and trash him.
Douchebag
What a surprise?
Blayde
Sounds strange indeed ...

I hope after the Abraham-Miranda fight we will finally hear something that really tells us something.
Maxy
I think Calzaghe wants another huge name on his resume so Jones fits the bill plus Roy is faded and years past his prime, whereas Pavlik isn't such a massive 'name' and is by far the more dangerous opponent.

D-MARV
I hope Joe Calzaghe recieves the same bashing as Floyd Mayweather Jr!
WolfishPromistah
LoL! I think it's part of what I suspected anyway, more than ever now. Joe SAW what happened when a HARD hitter possessing a a bit of skill (and what I think I heard was a decent chin), like LOCKETT, got up in there and could NOT outgun Kelly, with Joe's own father, whom he highly respects, right there to see it FACE TO FACE; then, Joe's own penchant for getting tagged before trying to tough things out with just wild swings -- mostly to just disturb his opponent -- in the trenches, as he'd have to in a fight against Kelly, relays to him that he don't want none of that -- not against a young, long and strong buck like Pavlik, who's "SHARPER" a puncher than Kessler (Kelly would stop him in his tracks if he tried that bum-rush shyt he did against Kessler, after getting stung a bit on occasions). I just don't see this one as "likely to" happen, not if Joe can help it.
BigG
"I'm not sure if Pavlik really wants to face me at the moment."

WTF is that? Did he not hear KElly call him out?
slap
Im glad this fight didnt happen cause im not in to seeing guys die in the ring cause i think pavlik would have killed joe
Boxingjunkie
Sounds like Joe is running to me. He is riding high right now in England and if he fights Roy and beats him then he can retire a legend in England. Sounds like Joe wants no part of Pavlik. Smart move on his part if he is looking to retire undefeated.
AussieLad
Calzaghe would have to come back down to middle, or pavlik would have to move up. I dont like seeing guys chopping and changing weights too much

I think pavlik is better off trying to unify 160 then face the truly ultimate test ... Anthony The Man Mundine at middle... laugh.gif (LOL just joking stevenski and fitz, but i would like to see mundine fight pavlik at some point and get starched badly)
Mean Mister Mustard
Poor Mundine, not even Australia likes him.
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(slap @ Jun 13 2008, 05:26 PM) [snapback]392513[/snapback]
Im glad this fight didnt happen cause im not in to seeing guys die in the ring cause i think pavlik would have killed joe

Roy's just gonna hospitalize him
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jun 13 2008, 10:39 PM) [snapback]392517[/snapback]
Calzaghe would have to come back down to middle, or pavlik would have to move up. I dont like seeing guys chopping and changing weights too much

I think pavlik is better off trying to unify 160 then face the truly ultimate test ... Anthony The Man Mundine at middle... laugh.gif (LOL just joking stevenski and fitz, but i would like to see mundine fight pavlik at some point and get starched badly)

I still watch the Ottke fight when I feel depressed. It never fails to lift me.
KookedKrack
[Mayweather Sr.]He got a whole lot of bitch in him[/Mayweather Sr.]

fuck the slap boxing champion
Douchebag
QUOTE(KookedKrack @ Jun 14 2008, 03:10 AM) [snapback]392555[/snapback]
[Mayweather Sr.]He got a whole lot of bitch in him[/Mayweather Sr.]

fuck the slap boxing champion

People don't like for you to tell it like it is. FYI
streetlion1
I think Pavlik would walk Calzaghe down and punish him. Its not surprising that after he had his bullshit victory over B-Hop that he wants to dodge his next best opponent. Calzaghe V.S. RJJ is probably gonna be the fight to happen I dont like either guy but would hope Jones pulled it off then two of the most over-rated champions of all time can retire.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Why so much hate for Joe?

He just fought a hard fight against the ever wiley B-Hop (who I would pick to beat Pavlik actually) and only 2 fights before fought a hard 12 rounds against the undefeated Kessler.

Isn't he allowed an 'easier' fight against RJJ before perhaps signing off against Pavlik who by that stage has fought maybe once or twice more and raised his profile?

All this 'he's sacred to fight this guy or that guy' you hear it all the time on forums and I think it's a bunch of crap.

I think the fighters who get to the really really elite level aren't scared to fight anyone. I seriously doubt Joe is 'scared' to fight Pavlik although he must view the payday and the nights work against RJJ the easier option and who can blame him. And also it's like the guys who wanted to get to Tyson at the end of his career, sure he's obvioulsy no longer Tyson but it's on your resume. I think Joe would like RJJ's scalp for similiar reasons.

I doubt even PBF (who I'm not such a big fan of) is scared to fight Cotto (lets pretend he's not retired LOL) he just views a rematch versues Goldie as a better option for less risk. Now I'm not saying I like it but I do understand it.

And seriously why does Pavlik not catch the same heat for beating the snot out of a C level fighter in Lockett when he could've taken on the vastly more talented Winky Wright?

Despite what people say about Winky you can be damn sure it would've been more interesting and far less one sided than the glorified sparring session Kelly engaged in last week.

I happen to like to both Joe and Kelly and would certainly prefer to see them tangle rather than Joe and RJJ but I have to accept it's also a business and the smart business
move for Joe is to fight Roy first and Pavlik second.

And if the haters want to hate on him then fine, just stay consistent and give Pavlik the same grief everytime Arum attempts to foist those one sided beatdowns like last week on the fans.

I think they'll tangle and hopefully if Joe gets past Roy and Kelly knocks over say Abraham (who I unfortunately think will beat Miranda again) then you will have a real moneyspinning event and a highly anticipated fight.
Douchebag
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Jun 15 2008, 08:25 AM) [snapback]392635[/snapback]
Why so much hate for Joe?

He just fought a hard fight against the ever wiley B-Hop (who I would pick to beat Pavlik actually) and only 2 fights before fought a hard 12 rounds against the undefeated Kessler.

Isn't he allowed an 'easier' fight against RJJ before perhaps signing off against Pavlik who by that stage has fought maybe once or twice more and raised his profile?

All this 'he's sacred to fight this guy or that guy' you hear it all the time on forums and I think it's a bunch of crap.

I think the fighters who get to the really really elite level aren't scared to fight anyone. I seriously doubt Joe is 'scared' to fight Pavlik although he must view the payday and the nights work against RJJ the easier option and who can blame him. And also it's like the guys who wanted to get to Tyson at the end of his career, sure he's obvioulsy no longer Tyson but it's on your resume. I think Joe would like RJJ's scalp for similiar reasons.

I doubt even PBF (who I'm not such a big fan of) is scared to fight Cotto (lets pretend he's not retired LOL) he just views a rematch versues Goldie as a better option for less risk. Now I'm not saying I like it but I do understand it.

And seriously why does Pavlik not catch the same heat for beating the snot out of a C level fighter in Lockett when he could've taken on the vastly more talented Winky Wright?

Despite what people say about Winky you can be damn sure it would've been more interesting and far less one sided than the glorified sparring session Kelly engaged in last week.

I happen to like to both Joe and Kelly and would certainly prefer to see them tangle rather than Joe and RJJ but I have to accept it's also a business and the smart business
move for Joe is to fight Roy first and Pavlik second.

And if the haters want to hate on him then fine, just stay consistent and give Pavlik the same grief everytime Arum attempts to foist those one sided beatdowns like last week on the fans.

I think they'll tangle and hopefully if Joe gets past Roy and Kelly knocks over say Abraham (who I unfortunately think will beat Miranda again) then you will have a real moneyspinning event and a highly anticipated fight.

I stopped reading after the part where you said that you would pick B-Hop to beat Pavlik.
D-MARV
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jun 15 2008, 09:34 AM) [snapback]392637[/snapback]
I stopped reading after the part where you said that you would pick B-Hop to beat Pavlik.

LOL... laugh.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
With PBF, as much as I hate him, at least I know he will fight Cotto, eventually. With Calzaghe, I am not so sure he will fight Pavlik. Yes he did have the balls to fight Lacy and Kessler, though he did it at home. And at least those were fights the public wanted to see and he delivered. However there is the other side of Calzaghe, the ugly side. The guy who fought years at home against non-descript opposition. He throws the old "No one wanted to fight me" line but listen, if he really wanted big fights he would have left England, he would have fought in the U.S, for shorter money yes but he would have done wonders for his career.

Let's face it, Winky Wright was avoided because of his style and lack of punch resulting in boring fights. Hopkins because he was dirty and dangerous. Calzaghe on the other hand was flashy, active, entertaining and yes white. If he really wanted to he could have been in the U.S a long time ago. Another dirty move was waiting for Hopkins to age until 43 in order to fight him and he still couldn't kick his ass like he promised. Right now I see a bit of Sven Ottke in him. He must be saying "Well, I already beat Lacy, whom everyone thought was good, I beat a good skilled man in Kessler and an old yet pesky Hopkins. It's more than many Brits have done, certainly more than what that German Otke did. I think I am content."
Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 15 2008, 04:23 PM) [snapback]392651[/snapback]
I don't find it unbelievable that Hopkins could beat Pavlik. Pavlik isn't some world beater people are portraying him as.

Pavlik workrate would be too much for B-Hop at this point in his career. Pavlik is beatable but not by Bernard Hopkins. Pavlik would win an UD.
KookedKrack
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jun 14 2008, 01:22 PM) [snapback]392574[/snapback]
People don't like for you to tell it like it is. FYI

yea i noticed but shit don't phase me at all
Douchebag
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 15 2008, 05:27 PM) [snapback]392656[/snapback]
You are right about Pavlik having a good workrate, but I thought the workrate Calazghe and Taylor (Taylor's workrate isn't that high, just busier than Hopkins) gave him difficulties due to the speed they fight at as well. They fought at a very quick pace.
Pavlik is very busy but punches slow and his pace doesn't see as drastic as the other two. I think Hopkins would find him much easier to hit and much easier to defend against.

I don't think so at all. Pavlik has a very good Jab and is very good at keeping his opponents at the end of it. Add to the fact that B-Hop is extremely cautious so fighting a guy like Pavlik who has incredible power B-Hop will be in his shell most of the night trying not to get hit with anything clean. Hopkins would have to fight every physical fight in order to Kelly, the same kind of fight that he need to fight against Zaghe, but couldn't because of his age.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I think B-Hop is still the most accurate counter puncher in the game and not to mention a far bigger guy than Kelly. I like the bit where you said you'd stopped reading after I picked B-Hop to beat Pavlik like it's some kinda impossibility.

I don't find it that far fetched at all. Pavlik is very very hittable and I think Nard's power is very underrated. Pavlik would stand in front of Bernard all day long just like the Milkdud of Malice did, Nard loves those type of fighters, everytime they march on in one dimensional mode he picks them off.

Plus despite the amount of slaps Clazaghe throws, he stills throws A LOT of them, so if Nard could handle Joe's workrate I fail to see how he would fail to handle Pavliks.

Yes Kelly would punch harder than Joe but he'd also be open for a heap more counters than Joe was (he still got caught often enough). I tell you that fight would not is not the one way traffic you might imagine it to be.
AussieLad
Unless Pavlik is planning on moving up in the near future, or hopkins is moving back down, then talk of them fighting is a bit pointless, unless your a fan of hypothetical match making

Pavlik needs to unify. He is very good, but still a bit green. Abraham and sturm, they are the only ones that should be on his radar at the moment
D-MARV
"If" Abraham gets past Miranda, I say make Abraham and Sturm fight then Pavlik fights the winner. He can kill 2 birds with one stone.
buford54
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jun 13 2008, 06:39 PM) [snapback]392517[/snapback]

But at least this would have been a legit excuse. If he had said this, I could have at least understood, because he just finished adding weight to get to LH, and might as well at least fight Roy Jones while he's there.
But don't throw out crap like, "I don't think Kelly really wants to fight me because Id' win..." after he's just beaten your stablemate (despite your father's insistence that he wouldn't) and has called you out. Every prizefigher that's ever been asked the question will tell you, "Of course I think I'll win, if I didn't, I wouldn't be fighting."
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Jun 15 2008, 08:29 PM) [snapback]392661[/snapback]
I think B-Hop is still the most accurate counter puncher in the game and not to mention a far bigger guy than Kelly. I like the bit where you said you'd stopped reading after I picked B-Hop to beat Pavlik like it's some kinda impossibility.

I don't find it that far fetched at all. Pavlik is very very hittable and I think Nard's power is very underrated. Pavlik would stand in front of Bernard all day long just like the Milkdud of Malice did, Nard loves those type of fighters, everytime they march on in one dimensional mode he picks them off.

Plus despite the amount of slaps Clazaghe throws, he stills throws A LOT of them, so if Nard could handle Joe's workrate I fail to see how he would fail to handle Pavliks.

Yes Kelly would punch harder than Joe but he'd also be open for a heap more counters than Joe was (he still got caught often enough). I tell you that fight would not is not the one way traffic you might imagine it to be.

Those are all really good points, particularly that Hopkins likes to fight flat footed guys, they are easier to manouver. If Hopkins were younger I'd give him a shot, but at 43 it is hard to see how he could produce enough offense to halt Pavlik. Because believe me, the only thing Hopkins needs to beat Pavlik is more activity.
Method
Pavlik is very busy but punches slow and his pace doesn't see as drastic as the other two. I think Hopkins would find him much easier to hit and much easier to defend against.
Hopkins' foot work would be a nightmare for Pavlik to deal with, not to mention his defense.

The outcome would really depend on the personal preference of the judging. If they favor the amateur style of just putting hands anywhere on a mans body, then the outcome favors Pavlik (in a fight where Hopkins comes out looking as fresh as he went in). If the personal preference of the judges is clean, effective punching , defense, and ring generalship, then the outcome favors Hopkins.

Just read this over on Steve Kim's site...

I've been informed that Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, reached out to Todd duBoef, the president of Top Rank, and inquired about the possibility of Miguel Cotto facing Oscar De La Hoya on December 6th. During this conversation the possibility of perhaps Bernard Hopkins taking on middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik was also broached.
Douchebag
I don't want pwople to think that I don't like B-Hop. He is in my top 5 P4P of all time, but he is just toooooooooo old to go full twelve rounds with a guy like Kelly Pavlik, who has exceptional conditioning. Hopkins had to resort to taking a full five minutes against Zaghe after he got hit with punch the did not connect to his groin. B-Hop will end up being stationary from time to time(especially in the later rounds) and Kelly will have plenty of opportunities get in some good work against B-Hop. Kelly is an extremely big middleweight whom I could see filling out to lightheavy without a problem so size difference is really a non factor IMO. If JT could outwork Hopkins Kelly isn't going to have a poblem doing. B-Hop is just too old and should just hang them up.
BigG
I'm confident Hopkins would be able to outbox Pavlik.

I think that Calzaghe lost the fight by 2 points, and got credited with alot of BS slap flurries that didn't land at all. Hopkins landed the harder shots and put Calzaghe on his ass. Hopkins is old and past his prime but he's still the slickest fighter in the world today. Hopkins did not even have a mark on him after the Calzgahe fight.
buford54
It's odd to me that people keep talking about how slow Pavlik's punches are.
Compared to some, they are slow...but Jermain Taylor, Emmanuel Steward and Gary Lockett have all talked about how much faster his hands are than they appear to be. It has caused some real problems for people because they think his punches come a lot slower than they actually do.

Method
But I digress...

Can we please all get back to how pathetically OBVIOUS it is that Joe Calzaghe wants NOTHING to do with Kelly Pavlik?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 17 2008, 11:21 AM) [snapback]392826[/snapback]
But I digress...

Can we please all get back to how pathetically OBVIOUS it is that Joe Calzaghe wants NOTHING to do with Kelly Pavlik?

He's doing the old De La hoya trick, wait for someone to either beat him or expose some major flaw in him, then fight him.
Method
Or worse...

I mean, Joe comes out and says, "I don't think Kelly really wants to fight me. I would be a huge step up from Gary Locket. He has the world at his feet at middleweight."

Frank Warren Comes out and says, "Pavlik REALLY REALLY wants Joe, but it's not up to Kelly. It's up to Joe."

So there we have it, Frank Warren admits Team Pavlik is really trying to ge this fight done, but that the decision is ultimately up to Joe. Then we have Joe playing self appointed adviser to Kelly Pavlik, saying, "I don't think he's serious about wanting to fight me, and he should do this instead."

You charging Kelly 7% for that advice, Joe?
Spyder
I really think that Pavlik would knock Joe out. I wouldn't have thought that before the Hopkins fight, but after seeing Hopkins drop Joe...

Let's just say, Bernard don't have the pop that Kelly has.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 17 2008, 12:21 PM) [snapback]392826[/snapback]
But I digress...

this is kind of ridiculous. calzaghe isnt scared of pavlik. and after the fight with locket, kellerman had to basically drag the word "calzaghe" out of pavliks mouth. its not like pavlik has been beating the drums for this fight.

pavlik appears to be the goods, but i wouldnt rate him any higher than kessler at this point.

and whoever completely wrote off hopkins chances of beating pavlik is dilusional. even if pavlik wins it would probably be by controversial decision. hopkins has mastered the art of not losing convincingly. i can definately see hopkins pot shotting pavlik for the win.

and people act as if taking on roy jones is like taking on a gary lockett or something. roy is far from the fighter he was, but the man is still a pretty good fighter.

mrwigi
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jun 16 2008, 04:28 AM) [snapback]392675[/snapback]
Unless Pavlik is planning on moving up in the near future, or hopkins is moving back down, then talk of them fighting is a bit pointless, unless your a fan of hypothetical match making

Pavlik needs to unify. He is very good, but still a bit green. Abraham and sturm, they are the only ones that should be on his radar at the moment

ive been saying this for a while. these are the guys he should fight and unify the titles. either way, i pick pavlik by knockout
Method
this is kind of ridiculous. calzaghe isnt scared of pavlik. and after the fight with locket, Kellerman had to basically drag the word "calzaghe" out of pavliks mouth. its not like pavlik has been beating the drums for this fight.

Really? Did Kellerman put a gun to Pavlik's head forcing him to scream into the microphone out to the crowd "Do you all want to see me face Joe Calzaghe?"

You're clutching at straws, bro.

Frank Warren, Calzaghe's promoter has come out and said Pavlik really wants the fight, but that it's Joe's decision. What has Joe decided? Joe decided that Kelly Pavlik really doesn't want the fight.

Give me a break.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 18 2008, 11:59 AM) [snapback]392916[/snapback]
Really? Did Kellerman put a gun to Pavlik's head forcing him to scream into the microphone out to the crowd "Do you all want to see me face Joe Calzaghe?"

You're clutching at straws, bro.

Frank Warren, Calzaghe's promoter has come out and said Pavlik really wants the fight, but that it's Joe's decision. What has Joe decided? Joe decided that Kelly Pavlik really doesn't want the fight.

Give me a break.

no gun to the head. when kellerman asked who he wanted next he gave the ole "ill fight whoever" comment. only after max said joes name and the crowd went wild did pavlik say "is that the fight you all want"?. if he wanted the fight as badly as you say he should have come right out and said he wanted joe next.

no clutching straws. arum wants this fight since its the biggest fight out there for pavlik. pavlik said nobody knew about joe until he faced hopkins. sounded as if he was trying to say he wasnt crazy about the fight because he wouldnt get any credit for it.

and not for one second do i think Joe is scared of Pavlik. i dont think pavlik would be any tougher to beat than Hopkins or Kessler.

there, i gave you the break you were looking for.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(buford54 @ Jun 16 2008, 07:27 AM) [snapback]392685[/snapback]
But at least this would have been a legit excuse. If he had said this, I could have at least understood, because he just finished adding weight to get to LH, and might as well at least fight Roy Jones while he's there.
But don't throw out crap like, "I don't think Kelly really wants to fight me because Id' win..." after he's just beaten your stablemate (despite your father's insistence that he wouldn't) and has called you out. Every prizefigher that's ever been asked the question will tell you, "Of course I think I'll win, if I didn't, I wouldn't be fighting."

i don't recall gatti saying that before the mayweather fight, or spinks before tyson, etc.
Thegreatequalizer
it's kind of surprising how people don't catch on to the workings of boxing. as soon as someone temporarily sidesteps someone everyone jumps on the "scared" bandwagon. the longer this fight hangs out there the bigger it gets (assuming neither loses). and who knows how much longer roy will keep fighting. pavlik will be around for a while. he's got time to move up. if you're a boxer and you get a chance to fight one of the biggest names in boxing over the past 20 years why would you drop that because a new champion in a lower weightclass calls you out. i think pavlik/calzaghe will be a much bigger fight after joe beats roy and pavlik defends his belt again.
Method
the longer this fight hangs out there the bigger it gets (assuming neither loses).
Tough to apply in this situation because, as you say, Pavlik will be around for a while, but Joe says he's done after this year is out. So kind of irresponsible to say they're letting the fight marinate.

there, i gave you the break you were looking for.

How did you give me a break?

AGAIN, Frank Warren publicly STATED that Pavlik BADLY WANTS the fight, but that it is Joe's decision. Joe has concluded Pavlik shouldn't take the fight.
D-MARV
Pavlik wants this fight!!!!!!

Joe Doesn't!!!!!!!

But I dont blame Joe, Fight RJJ for more money! Good Business move, but he can't avoid Pavlik forever! Just like Floyd catches heat for not fighting Cotto, Calzaghe will catch heat!
WolfishPromistah
"no gun to the head. when kellerman asked who he wanted next he gave the ole "ill fight whoever" comment. only after max said joes name and the crowd went wild did pavlik say "is that the fight you all want"?. if he wanted the fight as badly as you say he should have come right out and said he wanted joe next."

Kelly's response, to me, sounded like one from a champion who wants the BEST FIGHTS, with great consideration given to...WHAT the FANS want. He asked specifically, it would appear from that moment, for the answer from the crowd, meaning there was no contradiction in his WANTING any fight that pleases them. In other words, what Kelly did can almost assuredly be looked at as an example of his "dedication TO" the fans, so they'll be satisfied -- thereby satisfying him. Ain't nothing wrong there. Yes, it's specifically TRUE -- he WILL fight whomever. The point, however, is that he went -- again -- for whom the fans WANT, which happens to be Calzaghe.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Jun 18 2008, 09:30 PM) [snapback]392991[/snapback]
"no gun to the head. when kellerman asked who he wanted next he gave the ole "ill fight whoever" comment. only after max said joes name and the crowd went wild did pavlik say "is that the fight you all want"?. if he wanted the fight as badly as you say he should have come right out and said he wanted joe next."

Kelly's response, to me, sounded like one from a champion who wants the BEST FIGHTS, with great consideration given to...WHAT the FANS want. He asked specifically, it would appear from that moment, for the answer from the crowd, meaning there was no contradiction in his WANTING any fight that pleases them. In other words, what Kelly did can almost assuredly be looked at as an example of his "dedication TO" the fans, so they'll be satisfied -- thereby satisfying him. Ain't nothing wrong there. Yes, it's specifically TRUE -- he WILL fight whomever. The point, however, is that he went -- again -- for whom the fans WANT, which happens to be Calzaghe.

pavlik can say he wants to fight whoever, but if he wanted this fight as badly as his promoter says, he should have come out and said so.

i dont believe calzaghe is avoiding this fight at all. he will make alot more fighting roy, and it will give pavlik a chance to raise his profile a little more with another victory or two. again, if calzaghe wasnt scared of hopkins or kessler, he sure as hell isnt scared of pavlik.
Method
pavlik can say he wants to fight whoever, but if he wanted this fight as badly as his promoter says, he should have come out and said so.

You have CALZAGHE's promotor saying it, you fucking idiot. Why would Frank Warren say it if it wasn't true? We already know Pavlik and Arum have said it, but when you have Calzaghe's promotor coming out and publicly stating that, "Pavlik REALLY wants the fight", than I think it's safe to say the sentiment is genuine.
PR316
I know Calzaghe mentioned Pavlik in the past before he fought Hopkins. Why he's changing tune now I dont know. But I do think there's enough money for this fight to happen.

I personally think Calzaghe will encounter problems with Jones, even though he should beat Roy at this point.

Pavlik would give Joe a tough fight thats for sure. But Kelly hasn't met anyone that can do the things Joe does in the ring either.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 19 2008, 10:01 AM) [snapback]393016[/snapback]
You have CALZAGHE's promotor saying it, you fucking idiot. Why would Frank Warren say it if it wasn't true? We already know Pavlik and Arum have said it, but when you have Calzaghe's promotor coming out and publicly stating that, "Pavlik REALLY wants the fight", than I think it's safe to say the sentiment is genuine.

listen fucktard, do you think warren was talking to pavlik personally?? of course arum is going to tell warren that pavlik wants the fight. do you think arum usually calls other promoters and says "i want this fight but my boxer doesnt really care"?

arum knows this is the biggest fight out there for pavlik right now. thats why hes the best promoter in the business. but it just so happens that pavlik isnt the biggest fight out there for calzaghe at the moment.

you might want to quit taking your retard pills for a few days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.