Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pops Mayweather must be pissed!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
I wonder when we'll get the interview for his feelings about getting cut out of the mega-payday...TWICE! I was really hoping he could lead ODLH to the win over his son.
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jun 16 2008, 05:40 PM) [snapback]392738[/snapback]
I wonder when we'll get the interview for his feelings about getting cut out of the mega-payday...TWICE! I was really hoping he could lead ODLH to the win over his son.

Are u Sick that happens to be the man's son and there are plenty of other paydays out there it is De La Hoya he's training
PR316
Its not like Big Floyd is hurting. Surely he must be paid well by De La Hoya. Yeah I'm sure that it would have been nice to have a slice of the cake that was De La Hoya-Mayweather but whats done is done.

True boxing don't wanna see that fight anway because

A- First fight was boring.

B- We all know who's gonna win anyway.

C- We'd rather see Mayweather fight Cotto.

Now that Floyd's "retired", we won't get that fight but its just a matter of how long it will take for Floyd to start missing the limelight and attention that he would get when he was the p4p champion. His "retirement" announcement was simply another ploy to get attention and much to my delight, it has NOT worked. The world of boxing barely even acknowledged it.

Oh well we have some good fights to look forward to. If Floyd is truly done, again, God bless him and I wish him the best. But until then, I say we enjoy the welterweight division now while its littered with good fights we can see happen. Its not like Floyd was the only fighter there.

Oscar is on the way out, and supposedly he's targeting the Cotto/Margarito winner(This I have to see to believe). But with both De La Hoya and Mayweather out of the picture, now these guys don't have any excuse to wait on anything. Just fight one another.
Col Reb
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Jun 16 2008, 06:48 PM) [snapback]392742[/snapback]
Are u Sick that happens to be the man's son and there are plenty of other paydays out there it is De La Hoya he's training

I guess that makes me sick! I would like to see if Pops has a gameplan that could beat PBF. I'm hoping he can back up his talk about having the know-how to dissect Lil Floyd.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Forget Pops Mayweather what about Uncle Roger?

That guy was publicly humiliated by PBF told to get back in line and drop the Steve Forbes fight which would have been a nice payday for him. What must he be thinking about Junior's desicion?

I mean he retired, what? FOUR WEEKS after the Oscar/Forbes fight, surely if he had any inkling of retirement he should have let Roger train Forbes in a fight that Forbes frankly had no chance of winning.

That to me is a pretty sick mind game, that's like saying thanks for all you taught me but now I'm the King of the Mayweathers and screw you two.....

Boxingjunkie
To bad Floyd Sr. didnt retire with Floyd Jr. Dont think I would miss him.
Byrd Man
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Jun 17 2008, 12:10 AM) [snapback]392760[/snapback]
Forget Pops Mayweather what about Uncle Roger?

That guy was publicly humiliated by PBF told to get back in line and drop the Steve Forbes fight which would have been a nice payday for him. What must he be thinking about Junior's desicion?

I mean he retired, what? FOUR WEEKS after the Oscar/Forbes fight, surely if he had any inkling of retirement he should have let Roger train Forbes in a fight that Forbes frankly had no chance of winning.

That to me is a pretty sick mind game, that's like saying thanks for all you taught me but now I'm the King of the Mayweathers and screw you two.....

BT totally bitched out by not asking Roger about that very thing. How you gonna interview a man about the "retirement" of Floyd and not even have the balls to ask him about how dirty his nephew did him?

smh

BT: BoxingTalk is here with the one and only Roger Mayweather, we're at Floyd Mayweather's gym in Las Vegas. Roger, how's it going? "Everything is going well."

BT: What are your thoughts on Floyd retiring?

Roger Mayweather: I think that Floyd made a good decision for himself. Remember, he's the only guy who has to take the risk. He gets in there and takes the risk. If Floyd retires, to this day, there isn't anyone in history, in the world of boxing, that's ever been a six time world champion in five different weight classes. There's not a fighter in history that's ever done it. For him to retire and walk away from boxing, he didn't let boxing retire him, he retired from boxing. He did his work.

BT: If your nephew did rematch Oscar in September, as it was planned, how do you think that fight would have played out?

RM: It would have been what it was the first time. You saw Oscar struggle with Steve Forbes, didn't you? What do you think he could have done with Floyd?

BT: Now we hear that Oscar is looking to end his career against the winner of the Cotto-Margarito fight. He's hoping it's going to be Cotto. How do you see the fight playing out between Cotto and Margarito?

RM: I believe that Cotto has a good chance of winning. I'm not saying he's an overwhelming favorite to win, but I believe he could possibly win the fight. If I have to lean towards a guy, I'll lean towards Cotto.

BT: If they make the matchup between Joe Calzaghe and Roy Jones Jr., who do you like in that fight?

RM: Roy Jones Jr.

BT: Is it because he has more skill?

RM: Skills pay the bills. Calzaghe, from what I've seen, ain't shit. He showed he ain't shit when he fought Bernard Hopkins. He might throw a lot of punches, but I know Roy Jones Jr. can beat him, regardless of what. He's got enough to beat Joe Calzaghe, he ain't that far gone.

BT: You're close to Floyd. Do you think he'll ever come back to boxing, or do you think he's done for good?

RM: I think he will. He decided to retire at the peak of his career. To someone in the audience, or looking through the camera, they want to see him fight again. Remember this, when Floyd leaves boxing, his legacy will never be touched. To this day, his legacy will never be touched to this day. There isn't one fighter that won six world championships in five different weight classes, and retired undefeated. If they're talking about Rocky Marchiano, what are they going to say about Floyd? He fought a bunch of old men when he retired. Floyd has fought the best of this era of boxing. For me to say why he would retire, remember I don't get hit, I train my men not to get hit. My thing is he has to make the choice that going to be best for him. No fighter has ever done what he's done, so why not go out on top? He doesn't need money. Most fighters, when they come back it's for a reason. Floyd stayed in boxing for a reason, he didn't stay in boxing because he needs money.

BT: Manny Pacquiao is moving up in weight to fight David Diaz. If he were to beat David Diaz, and Ricky Hatton defeats Paulie Malignaggi, who do you think would win a fight between Pacquiao and Hatton?

RM: I think Ricky Hatton is too big for him, but it would still be a good fight. Considering styles, Pacquiao can still hit. Weight don't ever make a fight, it's skills that pay the bills. Weight don't win fights, skill wins fights. If weight won fights, Roy Jones Jr. would have never been the heavyweight champion of the world.

BT: Next Wednesday, your fighter, Corneilius Lock??? will be on Wednesday night fights, in the main event against Roger Gonzales. How's Corneilius looking right now?

RM: He seems ready, he's doing what a lot of fighters do. He's getting prepared, he's getting ready, he's doing what he's supposed to do. Just get ready. I don't know who Roger Gonzalez is, but he's going to feel how the rest of them felt. My fighter is too fast, and has too many boxing skills.
buford54
I'm quite glad that there was no fanfare with Floyd leaving.
He was positioned to ultimately do more damage to the sport than anything. You can only bait and switch the fans so many times. You can only go on reality shows and wrestling shows to hype people up before boring them to death a few times before they turn on you and boxing as a whole.

You know Floyd will be back though. He's too impulsive, and everyone knows it...that's why they aren't wasting their time eulogizing him and his career. He won't stay retired.

Now if only Cotto can stay undefeated...that will stick it to Floyd pretty good, because eventually Cotto will be the undefeated, p4p #1, and Floyd won't be able to stand it. I hope Cotto makes Floyd grovel and take short money if they ever do fight.
Douchebag
QUOTE(buford54 @ Jun 17 2008, 08:24 AM) [snapback]392777[/snapback]
I'm quite glad that there was no fanfare with Floyd leaving.
He was positioned to ultimately do more damage to the sport than anything. You can only bait and switch the fans so many times. You can only go on reality shows and wrestling shows to hype people up before boring them to death a few times before they turn on you and boxing as a whole.

You know Floyd will be back though. He's too impulsive, and everyone knows it...that's why they aren't wasting their time eulogizing him and his career. He won't stay retired.

Now if only Cotto can stay undefeated...that will stick it to Floyd pretty good, because eventually Cotto will be the undefeated, p4p #1, and Floyd won't be able to stand it. I hope Cotto makes Floyd grovel and take short money if they ever do fight.

Depending on what happens in the fight with Margarito, Cotto could become number 1 P4P sooner rather than later.
D-MARV
By this time next year, Floyd will be King yet again!... MARK MY WORDS threaten.gif

Brilliant plan on Floyd's behalf,
Let Cotto beat Margarito then go on to beat Oscar in december then Mayweather-Cotto next summer!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that's why they call the man "MOney" Mayweather

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 17 2008, 10:21 AM) [snapback]392813[/snapback]
By this time next year, Floyd will be King yet again!... MARK MY WORDS threaten.gif
Let Cotto beat Margarito then go on to beat Oscar in december then Mayweather-Cotto next summer!!!!

If Cotto beats Margarito and Oscar this year, Mayweather would have to take the short end of the $$$$$$$$$$$$ stick.

In other words, don't hold your breath.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jun 17 2008, 12:13 PM) [snapback]392821[/snapback]
If Cotto beats Margarito and Oscar this year, Mayweather would have to take the short end of the $$$$$$$$$$$$ stick.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

LOL!!!!! Why?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
The better plan (if we're talking money here) would be for PBF to fight and beat Goldie again because regardless of whether Cotto beats Tony and Goldie, a fight with Floyd still aint gonna generate anywhere near the financial heat that the PBF/Oscar rematch would've.

Now I'm not saying it wouldn't be a better fight, probably will be and one the hardcore fans would prefer to see, but whether you like Goldie or not he is clearly the pay-per-view p4p champ of all times.
slap
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 17 2008, 10:21 AM) [snapback]392813[/snapback]

C I like this guy that is what i have been sayin 2 myself the whole time money may knows just what he's doing let cotto beat margarito/de la hoya and maybe fight paul willams or even fight berto for the wbc title next year and and we get
mayweather-cotto in the summer see if floyd was 2 fight cotto now it would make no buisness since but if cotto was 2 get a bigger name by beating de la hoya then call floyd out like hatton did and we get what we want mayweather beats cotto in the summer
buford54
I think the issue is that Floyd's retirement doesn't do anything to his market value. He already "retired" after the first DLH fight. He "came back" immediately to take one more fight and then retire.
So what now that he's retired again? I don't think it will make headlines if he comes back because nobody expects him to stay retired.
He's not getting any HBO specials about his great career...he's not getting the key to Michigan from the governor...nobody cares.
So if he comes back, it doesn't really do anything for his market value.

There is a chance that because of the nonchalance of the casual boxing fan that they will buy into any hype that a 24/7 gives to his "retirement/return."
But this may be his last ploy. He's already suckered dancing fans and wrestling fans...who else is he going to con?
I think he should have just fought DLH, then Cotto (if he beat Margarito) then done a tentative retirement, because there really would have been no more immediate challengers. Sure the hardcore fans would call out for fights with some current champs (I want him to fight Paul Williams, but it won't happen)...but overall, DLH, and the winner of Cotto/Margarito would have done it.

That way, he could have waited for 2-3 years until another dominant champ showed up. Then his return would have been a big deal and could have sold the fight. Instead, he's begun to "retire" after every fight and in fails to hold market value.
D-MARV
Sure, the retirement doesn't mean much too fans like you and I, but you will be surprised how many casual boxing fans are buying into it. My father and I were talking about it the other day. We were talking about Michael Strahan retiring then he said "oh yeah, I didn't know that Floyd was retiring!". I told him he was taking a break, then I told him that he will be back for Cotto next year!. He said "If Floyd comes out of retirement to fight him, I would pay to see that fight"

"My father didn't even know who Miguel Cotto was until I sat watched the Gomez fight with him!"

Point being... Mayweather is letting Cotto build his name then He will fight him.

As far as Mayweather passing on De La Hoya, I really dont know. Maybe he's thinking that if he beats De La Hoya then the Cotto-De La Hoya would not happen...
LOL, I probably sound crazy but I dont know why Floyd would turn down 25-35 million dollars to wait on Cotto!
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(slap @ Jun 17 2008, 10:13 PM) [snapback]392880[/snapback]
C I like this guy that is what i have been sayin 2 myself the whole time money may knows just what he's doing let cotto beat margarito/de la hoya and maybe fight paul willams or even fight berto for the wbc title next year and and we get
mayweather-cotto in the summer see if floyd was 2 fight cotto now it would make no buisness since but if cotto was 2 get a bigger name by beating de la hoya then call floyd out like hatton did and we get what we want mayweather beats cotto in the summer

Typical excuses from typical Mayweather dickriders. Mayweather-Cotto makes PERFECT business sense RIGHT NOW. Other than by fighting Oscar, Cotto's name is as big as it's going to get. Sure, beating Oscar would make him a bigger star, but Mayweather has no way of forcing that to happen.

If Mayweather-Cotto makes no business sense now, then why would ODLH-Cotto? You can't possibly in a million years be suggesting Mayweather is now a bigger star than Oscar, can you?

So let me get this straight, you're saying Cotto should beat Margarito, Oscar, Paul Williams and Andre Berto before Floyd needs to be bothered with him? You're sure that's it? You don't think Miguel needs to clean up middle and light heavy first as well?
slap
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jun 18 2008, 12:40 PM) [snapback]392928[/snapback]
Typical excuses from typical Mayweather dickriders. Mayweather-Cotto makes PERFECT business sense RIGHT NOW. Other than by fighting Oscar, Cotto's name is as big as it's going to get. Sure, beating Oscar would make him a bigger star, but Mayweather has no way of forcing that to happen.

If Mayweather-Cotto makes no business sense now, then why would ODLH-Cotto? You can't possibly in a million years be suggesting Mayweather is now a bigger star than Oscar, can you?

So let me get this straight, you're saying Cotto should beat Margarito, Oscar, Paul Williams and Andre Berto before Floyd needs to be bothered with him? You're sure that's it? You don't think Miguel needs to clean up middle and light heavy first as well?

yeah it would make PERFECT business sence RIGHT NOW 2 a dumb ass who just wants 2 see the fight and nobody said DLH-Cotto made business sence but cotto beating oscar would make 4 a better cotto-mayweather fight cause maybe cotto would have the fan base he needs after that. Lets be real 4 a moment who knows cotto besides die hard boxing fans?............ dont worry I'll wait.
pcraw
I just spoke with Floyd Sr. Look for a hot interview with him tomorrow!
D-MARV
QUOTE(pcraw @ Jun 18 2008, 09:34 PM) [snapback]392993[/snapback]
I just spoke with Floyd Sr. Look for a hot interview with him tomorrow!

Great Work!!!!!! thumbsup_anim.gif
pcraw
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 18 2008, 08:42 PM) [snapback]392994[/snapback]
Great Work!!!!!! thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks man!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(slap @ Jun 18 2008, 07:15 PM) [snapback]392986[/snapback]
yeah it would make PERFECT business sence RIGHT NOW 2 a dumb ass who just wants 2 see the fight and nobody said DLH-Cotto made business sence but cotto beating oscar would make 4 a better cotto-mayweather fight cause maybe cotto would have the fan base he needs after that. Lets be real 4 a moment who knows cotto besides die hard boxing fans?............ dont worry I'll wait.

Lets face it Oscar versues anyone makes business sense. Oscar versues my grandmother makes business sense.

As for who knows Cotto outside of diehard boxing fans? Well to be honest, apart from Oscar, and maybe now Floyd who in the joe schmo public knows ANY of the top ranked fighters today?

Cotto aint gonna suck up Oscar's entire fanbase in one fight, so this whole 'lets wait unil he's a bigger star' crap is/was just a convenient excuse for PBF to not have to fight him. I actually thnk PBF beats Cotto pretty handily but I also think he makes far bigger bucks for far less risk fighting Goldie again.

For me his retirement was really just a move on the negotiating table with Oscar that went wrong. Still if you want to think that it's actually all part of masterplan to build up the Cotto fight then more power to you. But answer me this, don't you think Miguel's earned his shot already?

How many undefeated or top ranked guys does he have to go through before you think he 'deserves' to fight Floyd?

buford54
I can already imagine what Floyd Sr. says. His punk son retired rather than face a fighter who his father trains...because his daddy knows all of his tricks and secrets, and there's no way he's fighting anyone if his father's in their corner.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(slap @ Jun 18 2008, 07:15 PM) [snapback]392986[/snapback]

LOL. So only a dumb ass would want to see Mayweather-Cotto right now? Come on, that's the biggest & best fight that can be made in all of boxing - right now. (ODLH versus any living being aside). What else does Cotto need to do? He already beat Judah worse than Mayweather did, and he already got a UD over Mosley who Mayweather wouldn't even step in the ring with. Cotto has earned his shot and then some.

I'm sorry, but there's no master plan or whatever with Floyd here. He's just a little prick, end of story.
U.S. Champ
Floyd's a lot smarter than we give him credit for granted I hate his attitude like half the living world but he's a technician in the ring and I think with Cotto's rapid progression and being undefeated in Floyd's own words he has no proven weakness so no one knows how to beat him so Floyd maybe waiting for Cotto to show a flaw he can exploit. I've heard people question Miguel's chin but he's never been KO'd hurt but not finished and against Shane when we thought he was hurt he turned up his defense to an elite level showed a world class jab and confused a hall of famer which is why we want this fight to happen because it could wind up like Ali-Frazier a classic only thing it lacks is bad blood which will be stirred up when Cotto takes all the acclaim Floyd wanted by whooping Margarito,Oscar, and whoever else stands in his way and becomes the next P4P champ of the world
slap
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jun 19 2008, 05:03 PM) [snapback]393040[/snapback]
LOL. So only a dumb ass would want to see Mayweather-Cotto right now? Come on, that's the biggest & best fight that can be made in all of boxing - right now. (ODLH versus any living being aside). What else does Cotto need to do? He already beat Judah worse than Mayweather did, and he already got a UD over Mosley who Mayweather wouldn't even step in the ring with. Cotto has earned his shot and then some.

I'm sorry, but there's no master plan or whatever with Floyd here. He's just a little prick, end of story.

And mosley wouldn't step in the ring with mayweather floyds called mosley out plenty off times just like after he beat gatti he called out cotto and hatton and niether guy wanted 2 take the fight. Hatton was in need of a big payday so he sold his 0 for money and mosley at the end of his days he will fight anybody for a check and why dont you hear cotto callin mayweather out cause he wouldn't take the fight then so why would he take it now he knows damn well he cant win just another victim on floyds long list.
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(slap @ Jun 19 2008, 06:15 PM) [snapback]393052[/snapback]
And mosley wouldn't step in the ring with mayweather floyds called mosley out plenty off times just like after he beat gatti he called out cotto and hatton and niether guy wanted 2 take the fight. Hatton was in need of a big payday so he sold his 0 for money and mosley at the end of his days he will fight anybody for a check and why dont you hear cotto callin mayweather out cause he wouldn't take the fight then so why would he take it now he knows damn well he cant win just another victim on floyds long list.

If I recall Cotto just recently called out Floyd before his retirement and Floyd said He can't sell on his own and of course you can smack around a Cub but try a full grown Lion (Cotto Reference) fact is there both in the Top 3 of my favorite boxers so I'm not biased but head to head Floyd takes the L but wins the rematch
D-MARV
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Jun 20 2008, 05:20 PM) [snapback]393158[/snapback]
If I recall Cotto just recently called out Floyd before his retirement and Floyd said He can't sell on his own and of course you can smack around a Cub but try a full grown Lion (Cotto Reference) fact is there both in the Top 3 of my favorite boxers so I'm not biased but head to head Floyd takes the L but wins the rematch

Cotto has never called Floyd out. He always said that its up to his promoter.

Im sure Cotto would love to fight Mayweather but he has never called Mayweather out!
slap
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Jun 20 2008, 04:20 PM) [snapback]393158[/snapback]

cotto would never beat floyd. Cotto likes 2 apply pressure on his opponents floyd fights better under pressure with that being said floyd would be throwing combonations and cotto cant take a punch if they ever fight floyd will win via tko I promise you that.
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(slap @ Jun 20 2008, 05:29 PM) [snapback]393164[/snapback]
cotto would never beat floyd. Cotto likes 2 apply pressure on his opponents floyd fights better under pressure with that being said floyd would be throwing combonations and cotto cant take a punch if they ever fight floyd will win via tko I promise you that.

Cotto's Defense is not too bad either and if Shane or Zab can't stop him no way Floyd does Cotto by split decision
D-MARV

Floyd would win a close but clear decision! 116-112
U.S. Champ
Which Miguel Cotto ya'll been watching
D-MARV
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Jun 20 2008, 11:38 PM) [snapback]393191[/snapback]
Which Miguel Cotto ya'll been watching

What? Is Miguel Cotto suppose to be unbeatable or something?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.