Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Margarito vs Cotto Predictions: Preview Thread/Poll
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
U.S. Champ
VOTE NOW IN THE POLL FOR OUR EXCLUSIVE FIGHTHYPE PREVIEW FOR SUPERFIGHT OF THE SUMMER!

COTTO VS. MARGARITO

FOR THE WORLD WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSIP

SATURDAY, JULY 26, 2008 ON HBO PAY-PER VIEW 8PM CST

Who will Win? How? Vote in the Poll!

I believe Cotto's speed and underrated defense are the reasons he prevails by UD
Method
Margarito by TKO.
D-MARV
Cotto by UD.
Douchebag
Cotto by ud.
JD
Margarito by stoppage.
Mean Mister Mustard
Cotto wins this one. Margarito's wide punches will provide Cotto with a lot of opportunities to counter. It's going to be ideal for Cotto as he has the faster hands and shorter more compact shots. It will be intriguing to see whether Margarito will be too worn down from the punishment he takes to be able to come on strong late in the fight ot if he will turn it up and finish strong.
Nay_Sayer
Margarito UD
BoxingStill#1
I cant wait........cotto,.....ud,...or I may be saying this because Im a fan.....tough fight...
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 22 2008, 12:12 PM) [snapback]393373[/snapback]
This was a very tough fight for me to pick a few months ago, but as we get closer I am leaning towards Cotto. I will take Cotto by UD. I think it will be a tough and competitive fight though, Margarito will have his moments.

.......hey FITZ,... any relation to the corner post of the ring in the Berto fight?...I saw them and was like " thats the same name as the guy in 'fight hype'.."
D-MARV
I got my tickets in hand! Im so ready for this Fight!

WAR COTTO!
eternalfighter
margarito by ko
gods son
Tony has never been knocked out or stopped. I cant see cotto stopping him!

This fight is about heart..man this will be exciting! May the best man win. And you know when a Mexican vs Puerto Rican fight happens, it means war!!
Thegreatequalizer
i think this is a tough fight to call. i still think it's a bad style match up for cotto, but we'll see. tony by late ko.
The CEO
I've picked Cotto in this one from the get go, and I don't see any reason to believe otherwise....I personally don't think it's THAT tough a fight to call....as I see this matchup NOTICEABLY favoring Cotto......

I am so confident in this pick, I laid a sig bet offer on the table for up to 3 active, established FH Members to accept...and I'm still waiting for my first taker....

Yes...both guys WILL be tested...and the odds will be like 2-1 Cotto when they close...but I'm saying Margarito really only has a 20-30% chance of winning this fight...
D-MARV
I Think Cotto will mix up his attack and outbox Margarito in a surprisingly one-sided fight. Im sure Tony will have some moments in this fight but he is fighting a really good fighter. He will not have Cintron in front of him that will just come foward like a f*ckin Moron! I see Cotto using his superior skills to fight effectively on the inside as well as use lateral movement to keep Tony off balance and never allowing Tony to get off. Cotto's jab and quicker hands should play a major role in this fight. I do give Tony credit for being a tough S.O.B, so that's why I have him going the distance.
Cotto UD
PR316
Cotto via UD.

Cotto will build up a pretty good lead with his faster, straighter shots, and Margarito will struggle to get into his rhythm early. By the latter rounds, Margarito will have Cotto on his bike, and I could possibly see him scoring a knockdown or hurting Cotto pretty badly. Cotto will be able to make through though and he'll hear the decision in his favor.
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 22 2008, 07:51 PM) [snapback]393428[/snapback]
I Think Cotto will mix up his attack and outbox Margarito in a surprisingly one-sided fight. Im sure Tony will have some moments in this fight but he is fighting a really good fighter. He will not have Cintron in front of him that will just come foward like a f*ckin Moron! I see Cotto using his superior skills to fight effectively on the inside as well as use lateral movement to keep Tony off balance and never allowing Tony to get off. Cotto's jab and quicker hands should play a major role in this fight. I do give Tony credit for being a tough S.O.B, so that's why I have him going the distance.
Cotto UD

I see it the same way
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jun 22 2008, 09:01 PM) [snapback]393430[/snapback]
Cotto via UD.
Cotto will build up a pretty good lead with his faster, straighter shots, and Margarito will struggle to get into his rhythm early. By the latter rounds, Margarito will have Cotto on his bike, and I could possibly see him scoring a knockdown or hurting Cotto pretty badly. Cotto will be able to make through though and he'll hear the decision in his favor.

good call,....Ill keep this prediction in mind come july......
monzo
cotto ko
...there will be blood!
buford54
I hope Cotto wins it.
I don't want Floyd to be allowed to retire withought fighting one of them, and if Cotto loses, then any hope of that fight is over.
Bullseye
QUOTE(buford54 @ Jun 23 2008, 09:56 AM) [snapback]393485[/snapback]
I hope Cotto wins it.
I don't want Floyd to be allowed to retire withought fighting one of them, and if Cotto loses, then any hope of that fight is over.

I agree with that. Cotto should win. I think his advantage in speed will serve him well in this fight.
rusty_trombone
cotto by late stoppage
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jun 23 2008, 06:42 PM) [snapback]393519[/snapback]
cotto by late stoppage

I'm a huge Cotto fan but I don't see him stopping Tony that man could take a brick to the face and keep going
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Jun 23 2008, 08:02 PM) [snapback]393521[/snapback]
I'm a huge Cotto fan but I don't see him stopping Tony that man could take a brick to the face and keep going

i hope cotto hits him with a brick, fuck tony
D-MARV
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jun 23 2008, 07:42 PM) [snapback]393519[/snapback]
cotto by late stoppage

This wouldn't surprise me at all!!!!

We all know Tony has an iron jaw but we have never seen him tested to the body.
JD
In order to get to Margarito's body, Cotto will risk eating the uppercut - and Margarito has a good one.
D-MARV
Im not saying Zab Judah is Antonio Margarito...

But Miguel got to Zab's Body despite being hit by a few Uppercuts!

IMHO, I think Zabs uppercut is better than Tony's
slap
cotto ud

margarito just cant fight to me i dont see anything special about the guy cotto aint as good as he gets credit 4 either but he's alot better then margarito so i got cotto 116-112
slap
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 23 2008, 08:32 PM) [snapback]393528[/snapback]
Im not saying Zab Judah is Antonio Margarito...

But Miguel got to Zab's Body despite being hit by a few Uppercuts!

IMHO, I think Zabs uppercut is better than Tony's

I think judah is better than margarito alot better
D-MARV
QUOTE(slap @ Jun 23 2008, 10:51 PM) [snapback]393540[/snapback]

Zab Judah is by far the more gifted boxer but I wouldn't say he is better than Margarito at this stage.
Judah's will can be broken easily and he just shuts down in fights! Tony, on the other hand, Has tremendous will and determination which is why he is even half way decent!
slap
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 23 2008, 09:58 PM) [snapback]393541[/snapback]
Zab Judah is by far the more gifted boxer but I wouldn't say he is better than Margarito at this stage.
Judah's will can be broken easily and he just shuts down in fights! Tony, on the other hand, Has tremendous will and determination which is why he is even half way decent!

yeah your right tony does have more heart but if judah could last more than 4 rounds i think he wins that fight.
D-MARV
If Judah could fight a complete fight he would be an All Time Great!

But I Guess that's like saying if Tony had better boxing skills he would be an All Time great! dntknw.gif
PR316
^^^I don't know about an all time great, but he could have been ALOT better. Should have been a better fighter than he turned out to be. Just lacked discipline overall. If you lack discipline, it shouldn't be surprising if you fold in a fight.
Spyder
Cotto by brutal beating.

Tony's chin and heart won't serve his best interests in this one. Both qualities will keep him in the fight FAR beyond the point of no return. The beating he will recieve after that point will be both painful, and unnecessary. I just hope that the referee will be smart enough to stop the felony being commited in the ring.

Cotto might get arrested after this one.
Douchebag
QUOTE(JD @ Jun 23 2008, 09:10 PM) [snapback]393526[/snapback]
In order to get to Margarito's body, Cotto will risk eating the uppercut - and Margarito has a good one.

That is the only weapon the Margarito has that is really concerning me in this fight, but I positive that Evangelista Cotto and Miguel are making the proper adjustments for it.
WolfishPromistah
“I'm a huge Cotto fan but I don't see him stopping Tony that man could take a brick to the face and keep going." - U.S. Champ
And meanwhile, Cotto is most likely not going to like be avoiding each and every shot. From what I’ve seen of him over the years, he does wilt in fights much more than he’s called on, while Tony can throw the 100 per round. Cotto’s not winning, most likely ‘cause it’s also to be considered it’s many of a “hard-shot hundred” we talkin’ ‘bout here. To me, Cotto will be forced to fight against someone with not only a tougher beard but also one who has that comparable power to Cotto, with experience included.

“In order to get to Margarito's body, Cotto will risk eating the uppercut - and Margarito has a good one.” - JD

And he’s got both hard outside and inside shots. Cotto will possibly have to do MORE REACHING to get the target, which is probably better for Tony. Sure, he’ll be there, coming to Cotto, but Margarito knows how to adjust; I don’t see where that’s so hard to see he’s VERY methodical breaking guys down – he hits you anywhere for contact – a tap here, a harder shot there; Cotto will not be able to take that all night, I don’t think.

“IMHO, I think Zabs uppercut is better than Tony's” - dmarvelous
I don’t – I’ve seen Margarito effectively hit too many with it, THROUGH their guard. In fact, I consider that ONE OF his money punches that Cotto and his people will be zeroing in on neutralizing. They’d better.

“cotto ud. margarito just cant fight to me i dont see anything special about the guy cotto aint as good as he gets credit 4 either but he's alot better then margarito so i got cotto 116-112” - slap

Maybe Margarito doesn’t get some love for being better than credit given. He seems, to me, to have deceptive speed with shots from odd angles – sort of like Mayorga – more calculated though. We’ll see.

Margarito KO of Cotto – 8th round.
BigG
It's going to be an interesting fight forsure...alot of people are saying Margairto's gonna be too tough and outfight Cotto down the stretch...and alot of people are saying Cotto's going to be too skilled for him...all I know is this going to be a great fight. And the undercard with Fernando Montiel is going to be great as well..can't wait!
salvador
QUOTE(slap @ Jun 23 2008, 10:51 PM) [snapback]393540[/snapback]

Judah's too small for ww. Clottey's going to destroy him. Judah's got speed and coordination, but he doesn't have the chin or the endurance to compete with the big guys like Margarito, Clottey, or Williams.
BigG
Clotteys going to destroy him? I dont think so..

Clottey has overrated pop. He couldnt even put away a shot Corrales
Douchebag
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 24 2008, 01:41 PM) [snapback]393578[/snapback]

I agree. Who has Clottey beaten WW that was legit?
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 24 2008, 01:41 PM) [snapback]393578[/snapback]

I'd say winning every round convincingly like Clottey beat Corrales is real destruction.

And Judah's pop at 147 is suspect at best, especially given that Clottey's going to weigh around 170. Judah's not going to be able to hurt Clottey and Judah's chin ain't going to be able to hold up.

This is a no brainer. I can't wait to see the odds on this. There could be a real opportunity to make some serious money.

Douchebag
QUOTE(salvador @ Jun 24 2008, 02:22 PM) [snapback]393584[/snapback]
I'd say winning every round convincingly like Clottey beat Corrales is real destruction.

And Judah's pop at 147 is suspect at best, especially given that Clottey's going to weigh around 170. Judah's not going to be able to hurt Clottey and Judah's chin ain't going to be able to hold up.

This is a no brainer. I can't wait to see the odds on this. There could be a real opportunity to make some serious money.

But Corrales (RIP) was a shot fighter. It's not that impressive a fight from clottey. Mind you Corrales was just as chiinny if not more so than Judah.
BigG
I think Cotto would have pretty much destoryed Chico in 3 or 4. Judah would have KO'd him too. Hell, Castillo took Corrales out in 4 in the rematch. Corrales was never the same after the first Castillo fight, in my opinion. RIP and god bless him.

And who's to say Judah cant hurt Clottey with a quick flush left? Judah destoryed Cosme Rivera in 3, knocking him down 3 times...something neither Andre Berto nor Joel Julio (two hard punching young fighters) were able to do. He also hurt Cory Spinks and knocked him out in the rematch. Clottey is a very hard guy, but I believe he can be hurt by a quick left hand if Judah catches him. I don't favor Judah in this fight but I dont think Clottey can do what Cotto did. based on Judah's 2 last fights, I don't know how much JUdah would have left against a top contender...he didn't stop his last opponent because he broke his hand I believe and just simply coasted.
salvador
Judah hasn't been the same fighter since the Tszyu fight. He's never gotten his swagger back for more than a few rounds at a time, and when he realizes that he can't hurt Clottey, he's gonna fold.

This fight is everything to Clottey and I fully expect him to get the ko around the 8th.

We'll see.
BigG
Yea, for the record I pick Clottey by decision after getting buzzed early. I just don't think Zab's going to get steamrolled. We'll see though. Should be a great fight.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 24 2008, 02:56 PM) [snapback]393590[/snapback]
Yea, for the record I pick Clottey by decision after getting buzzed early. I just don't think Zab's going to get steamrolled. We'll see though. Should be a great fight.

something similar to that first sentence should be on zabs tombstone. "Here lies Zab Judah, he buzzed alot of guys early".

and since his fight against margarito, people have been riding clotteys nuts like hes this monster that everyones afraid of. clottey fights with zero passion and is content to let alot of his fights be closer than they need to be. i saw him fight at turning stone and he stunk the joint out.

look at his fight with margarito. how many people did clottey tell that his hand was hurting?? he was telling anyone that would listen, even the commentators. i thought he came across looking like a little bitch in that fight. im sick of hearing his name like everyones scared of him or something. if he cant KO a terribly faded and overweight diego corrales, then i dont have too much hope for him.
U.S. Champ
R.I.P. Diego,Ya'll acting like he didn't have the heart of lion that fight should have been stopped alot earlier and as for Zab being a Huge fan of his I really don't like this fight for him Clottey is just too damn strong if he catches Zab late its going to be a very violent KO mark my words
Method
something similar to that first sentence should be on zabs tombstone. "Here lies Zab Judah, he buzzed alot of guys early".

Ahhhhahahahaha.
D-MARV
Zab Judah is tougher than people give him credit for!

Clottey by Close but clear decision!

But He will be rocked! I promise you that!
King Eugene
My Prediction...........Good Ass Fight!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.