Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nate Campbell to face Joan Guzman 9/13 on Showtime?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Chillmatic
Nate Campbell to face Joan Guzman 9/13 on Showtime?
By Ryan Songalia

IBF/WBA/WBO lightweight champion Nate "The Galaxxy Warrior" Campbell has informed BoxingScene/MaxBoxing that his team is close to sealing a deal to defend his titles against WBO number one contender Joan Guzman. Campbell mentions September 13 as the target date, with Showtime likely to televise.

"Joan Guzman is who we're looking at right now," says Campbell, 32-5 (25 KO). "We haven't signed for it yet. We're pretty much working it out right now. By next weekend it'll probably be done."

Campbell intends to begin training camp in two weeks at his trainer John David Jackson's Fort Lauderdale, FL facility.

Campbell and Guzman have traded personal insults in the media over the last few months. Both men are into their thirties and are unlikely to be unnerved by mind games. Still, the heated exchanges between the two have created interest in a clash that offers what both fighters have been seeking: Meaningful fights.

"All of the stuff he said about me, I'll take that all with me when the bell rings. When the bell rings, he'll know that I put a good old-fashioned ass whooping on him for everything I think he said."

Guzman, 28-0 (17 KO), last fought in November, defeating Humberto Soto by unanimous decision. Guzman has held titles at 122 pounds and 130 pounds. Guzman vacated the WBO super featherweight belt following numerous postponements of his scheduled title defense with Scotland's Alex Arthur.

Campbell, who defeated previously-unbeaten Juan Diaz this past March to win his belts, says he is not impressed by Guzman's unblemished mark.

"Guzman is an exciting little fighter, but he's never fought anybody like me. I'm so tired of people making these guys out to be gods because their records have goose-eggs following their first two preceding numbers."

Campbell also had words for undefeated UK boxing star Amir Khan, who won a 5 round shootout with journeyman Michael Gomez Saturday night. For the second time in his pro career Khan tasted the canvas before stopping the game Gomez.

"Let's let this young fellow get that milk from around his mouth. If he comes in the ring with me and has any kind of night like he's been having lately, I'll make him my bitch."

Any questions or comments? Send them to mc_rson@yahoo.com
D-MARV
Im willing to put up a Sig bet with anyone that Guzman Schools the Old Man!!!!
Chillmatic
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 24 2008, 06:41 PM) [snapback]393625[/snapback]
Im willing to put up a Sig bet with anyone that Guzman Schools the Old Man!!!!

How do you bet here?
Big Slim Sweet
Interesting this fight looks like it will go head-to-head with Marquez-Casamayor, which is set for HBO PPV the same night. No question which fight I'll be watching. Campbell-Guzman should be a much more exciting fight and won't cost $50.

Really though, wouldn't it make more sense just to have Casamayor rematch Campbell and Marquez fight Guzman?
Mean Mister Mustard
At 130, no one has seen anything like Joan Guzman, which will make it harder for anyone to beat him. At lightweight things get more complicated for the Dominican, he's already above his best weight, now he's moving up again? Maybe it won't affect him so much seeing as how his whole game is t outbox opponents, as opposed to his powerpunching 122 pound days. Still, all this weight jumping cannot be good.

D-MARV
Im a huge fan of Guzman and I say he takes this one! 116-112 with him making Nate look silly at times.

I think Nate would win some of the later rounds.
kidbazooka1
This should be a good fight and a good win for Guzman.
imperial
I am not a fan of Guzman ..So I am picking Campbell ..
thefloatingmonkey
I think Guzman is a great boxer and can see him out boxing campbell all night. I hope that Campbell actually pushs Guzman into fighting though kinda like Barrios did. That last match between Soto and Guzman was a sleeper, not taking anything away from Guzman as he did out box Soto.
BigG
if Guzman is in shape, he will win.
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 29 2008, 01:12 AM) [snapback]394061[/snapback]
if Guzman is in shape, he will win.

Im pretty sure Guzman will be in top shape!
He was training for the Alex Auther fight before they had those issues. This is the biggest fight to date for Guzman.
Floyd Sr. will have is a$$ ready!
Big Slim Sweet
I know I'll be rooting 100% for Grandpa Nate.
BigG
Shit either guy winning would be fine with me. I like both guys alot. It's going to tough for both guys. I think Nate will be Guzman's toughest opponent to date and Guzman is probably more talented than anyone Nate's ever fought (Guzman > Baby Bull IMO).
hardhead
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 30 2008, 05:14 AM) [snapback]394183[/snapback]
Shit either guy winning would be fine with me. I like both guys alot. It's going to tough for both guys. I think Nate will be Guzman's toughest opponent to date and Guzman is probably more talented than anyone Nate's ever fought (Guzman > Baby Bull IMO).

You think Guzman is more talented than Cassamayor?

This is probably Campbell's toughest fight recently because he is getting older and Guzman is an athletic fighter with good boxing skills but will Campbell be able to answer the questions about consistency. Can he put together the consistent world class performances? That's the question people don't know the answer to with Campbell. He'll need to fight with that same intensity he did with Diaz, ripping those body shots to slow Guzman down. I'm hoping Campbell wins because I love his all action style and his attitude and aggressiveness. I do believe he has what it takes to beat Cassamayor this time around(the first one I had very close) if he beats Guzman and that fight happens. Pacquio would be a tough one judging by the way he looked last night but I think that fight regardless of outcome would be more exciting than Guzman/Pacqiuo. I'm a big fan of Campbell but have to admit this is a very dangerous fight because Guzman is a good athlete and is a good boxer with great hand and foot speed...
Douchebag
Guzman all day!
Blayde
Im pretty excited about this one. Ive got to favor Guzman, but Im not that sure about it. Maybe Campbell can give him a very hard time. For sure 135 is heating up now. Not just because the fighters are there, but because they are really fighting each other smile.gif
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I expect Guzman to win a fairly wide decision in this one. Campbell has always been an inconsistent fighter. He loses to Lorenzo, then beats Kid Diamond, then loses to Hlatswayo, and then pulls an upset against Diaz. People are high on him since he did beat Diaz, which was a very good win. However, Guzman is an extremely good boxer who will utilize his skills in this bout. He'll move a lot, and box Campbell all night. Campbell is a good fighter, who hung in there with Casamayor, but Guzman will move more. I expect Guzman to win a 116-112 type decision.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.