Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chagaev suffered a serious injury
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
The much anticipated rematch between WBA heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev and Nikolai Valuev unfortunately cannot take place on July 5.

This afternoon, in his next-to-last round of sparring, Chagaev suffered a serious injury.

"He tried to step back with his left foot and I heard a "bang," said trainer Michael Timm. "At that moment, I already feared the worst."

Chagaev was immediately transported to the St. George General Hospital in Hamburg, where an MRI revealed a complete tear of the Achilles tendon. An operation is unavoidable. According to the treating doctors, Dr. Ehnert and Dr. Eggers, this will take place on Monday.

"Even though this is a bad injury, there is a positive note," said Dr. Michael Ehnert. Because the tendon has not torn directly above the heel bone, but almost concentric, a faster healing process is possible."

With this diagnosis, all involved parties are sure that Chagaev can return to the ring by the end of this year.

The champion was stunned and near tears. "It is the worst disappointment of my sporting career," said Chagaev. "But, I'll come back!"

It is the second time the Chagaev-Valuev rematch was postponed. They were originally scheduled to fight on May 31st, but the bout was pushed back to July 5th after Chagaev came down with an illness and was forced to break off sparring.

The July 5th "Universum Champions Night" event in Halle/Westfalen, originally billed as "Night of Rematches" has now become "Night of the Rematch" headlined by Part II of world champion Felix Sturm (29-2-1, 13 KOs) against Randy Griffin (24-1-3, 12 KOs) for the WBA middleweight title

He should be stripped ASAP!!!!!!!!
Byrd Man
Well, in his defense, you can't strip him for an injury. If it's a legit injury, that's not something that is his fault.

I agree this happens WAY too much with him, but he may just be an injury prone fighter. Like Vitali.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Jun 27 2008, 01:34 AM) [snapback]393864[/snapback]
Well, in his defense, you can't strip him for an injury. If it's a legit injury, that's not something that is his fault.

I agree this happens WAY too much with him, but he may just be an injury prone fighter. Like Vitali.

You're Right!

Well Shit, Bring on Ruiz-Valuev II for the interim belt! scare.gif
Fitz
Geeez, that really sucks that we are going to have to wait for Chagaev-Valuev II.
ROLL DEEP
Ahhh, man aggressive.gif

A heavyweght fight that I was sort of curious about and its not happening now. Dang.
Tha Docta
odds of changaev coming back after an injury like this are pretty slim. even if he does comeback, hes not going to be the same. too bad really.

damn i cant imagine how painful it would be to completely tear your achilles. i have a low tolerance for pain as it is.
Mean Mister Mustard
That means Ruiz will actually get another title shot? Sweet!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.