Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao (Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
thehype
Why not?

laugh.gif

Just wanted to be the first to officially start the thread.

Here's the question though...would it do bigger numbers than Mayweather-De La Hoya?
Mino
QUOTE(thehype @ Jun 29 2008, 12:57 PM) [snapback]394119[/snapback]
Why not?

laugh.gif

Just wanted to be the first to officially start the thread.

Here's the question though...would it do bigger numbers than Mayweather-De La Hoya?

Dont think it would do bigger numbers, though would be a much better fight....
Fitz
It would be a joke.
thehype
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 29 2008, 01:02 PM) [snapback]394121[/snapback]
It would be a joke.

laugh.gif

How would that be any different than a lot of other fights?

De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao is a lot more PPV worthy than Pacquiao vs. Diaz was.

laugh.gif

And actually...I don't know...Steve Forbes wasn't exactly a true welterweight either.
BigG
You know...Pacquiao could probably beat Hatton..but 147 would be pushing it a little..
Maxy
Pacquiao-De la Hoya??

Nah, that's just ridiculous.
BigG
Fuck it, I'd love to see Pac-Cotto.
Flexxnyc
Pacman vs. Mayweather at 140. This would be an amazing fight if it went down. Floyd needs to man up and stop being a bitch.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Flexxnyc @ Jun 29 2008, 01:28 PM) [snapback]394129[/snapback]
Pacman vs. Mayweather at 140. This would be an amazing fight if it went down. Floyd needs to man up and stop being a bitch.

You know... Being the big Floyd fan that Iam, I could see Floyd coming out of retirement for this fight! Think about it...

I see Pacqiuao being a "Safe" fight for Floyd and I really think it would do some decent numbers. Just a thought... dntknw.gif

But Bob Arum would be involved so this fight is not likely
slap
QUOTE(Flexxnyc @ Jun 29 2008, 12:28 PM) [snapback]394129[/snapback]

I have been thinking about that fight for a year now but it would be to easy for floyd and you would still have people 2nd guessing it saying why didnt he fight cotto.
slap
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jun 29 2008, 12:17 PM) [snapback]394126[/snapback]
Fuck it, I'd love to see Pac-Cotto.

maybe that would be a good fight but pac cant box 2 me so cotto wins this one. Like floyd always says skills pay the bills.
thehype
Floyd, Floyd, Floyd...blah, blah, blah...forget about Floyd...he's retired!

It says here that the biggest fight that can made in boxing right now is Pacquiao vs. De La Hoya!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
STEVENSKI
I'd buy it & Pac deserves the payday IMO. Big size difference but it is doable at 147.
rusty_trombone
That size difference would just be ridiculous. He's not exactly big for 135, and 147, that's ridiculous. We're really reaching if that's the biggest fight that could be made now. shit, why not Pavlik and Pac? maybe we can throw him in against Wlad? rolleyes.gif
D-MARV
Sorry Fellaz!

Manny Pac VS Edwin Valero, Nov. 8, no location decided yet! Bob Arum announced this!

Source
thehype
Perfect. Another easy win for Manny.

laugh.gif
hardhead
I know this fight sounds interesting because of the fact that one guy is one of the bigger names in boxing and the other is one of the biggest names in the history of Boxing and it is one the biggest fights to be made(next to Mayweather/Cotto) but I just can't take this seriously because of the size difference, I don't know I just think that DLH is way too big for Manny, fuck what's next Manny fighting Wlad Klitchko?? laugh.gif
hardhead
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 30 2008, 01:09 AM) [snapback]394159[/snapback]
Sorry Fellaz!

Manny Pac VS Edwin Valero, Nov. 8, no location decided yet! Bob Arum announced this!

Source

Link didn't work for me...
The CEO
I'll be rooting for Valero...but his suspect D will be his downfall in this particular matchup.......

I'm thinking Pacquiao will expose the "Gym Legend"....
Fitz
Don't know how anyone could take this fight seriously. Pacquiao barely beats Marquez, then I'm not even sure he can beat the best 135 fighters out there, I don't even know if he can beat Hatton and people are thinking about a fight with DLH? Haha. The fight does nothing, Pacquiao gets beaten like a dog, it does nothing for DLH, Manny has nothing to be ashamed of, people won't even consider it as a proper loss. Shit and totally uninteresting fight.
Pacquiao would smoke Valero, he isn't that good IMO. I just want Manny to fight anyone from a Campbell, J.Diaz, Katsidis, Casamayor a rematch with Marquez or a fight with Guzman. Every single one of those fights I just mentioned is not a certainty, this is why a fight with DLH is so stupid and ridiculous IMO.
D-MARV
Manny Pac TKO3

This fight looks just like Hagler-Hearns... LOL
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jun 29 2008, 10:09 PM) [snapback]394169[/snapback]
Don't know how anyone could take this fight seriously. Pacquiao barely beats Marquez, then I'm not even sure he can beat the best 135 fighters out there, I don't even know if he can beat Hatton and people are thinking about a fight with DLH? Haha. The fight does nothing, Pacquiao gets beaten like a dog, it does nothing for DLH, Manny has nothing to be ashamed of, people won't even consider it as a proper loss. Shit and totally uninteresting fight.
Pacquiao would smoke Valero, he isn't that good IMO. I just want Manny to fight anyone from a Campbell, J.Diaz, Katsidis, Casamayor a rematch with Marquez or a fight with Guzman. Every single one of those fights I just mentioned is not a certainty, this is why a fight with DLH is so stupid and ridiculous IMO.

I could'nt agree more fitz......why is this a topic?
torvix2000
There was a rush of my adrenalin when Marquez got Pac in trouble in round 8 of their rematch. I want to feel that again. I want Pac to fight somebody who will knock him out.
King Eugene
Pac is too small. I wouldnt even give him a punchers chance against DLH. Pac better stay where he is at before he ends up like Duran, going up and getting embaressed. He can still be the so called pound for pound king at lighweight.
The Original MrFactor
To me this fight could come off as "interesting." The size difference would be rather large though. I'd expect Pac to do better than Stevie Forbes against DLH. And who is to say that Pac's power wouldnt carry well to 147 or so. If I were Pac, the fight wouldnt be higher than 147.

On a side note, I hear that Pac vs Hatton is a possibility. Let me be the 1st to say that Pac beats Hatton by KO...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I agree with everyone else who says this fight is dogshit.

DLH fought B-Hop at 160 FFS (and did quite well until that punishing liver shot LOL).

Besides there are too many 'fight of the year' fights for Manny at 135, AND something tells me JMM will be campaigning at that weight real soon.

In this case if it makes dollars it makes (non)sense.
Fitz
I just find it really pathetic. What ever happened to just cleaning your division out and then moving onto a bigger challenge when there is nothing left? 135 is possibly one of the tightest divisions and so many good fights out there. In fact about 3 fights could be made between 6 fighters and nobody would be really left out in the cold, that's how good it is.
This fight really isn't necessary and it's fights like this that are killing the sport. Mayweather has moved up without clearing out a division, Pacquiao could be the next guy. I just don't like the trend some fighters follow.
D-MARV
Manny Pac doesn't have to clean up the lightweight division! He has already placed himself as an all time great. He is probably the greatest filipino fighter of all time! If he can get a fight with Oscar De La Hoya, then go for it. This will not kill the sport! I think it will bring more fans actually.

Tye Fields is what kills the sport.

Lorenzo and what he and Cortez did this past weekend kills the sport.

Putting two of the most recognized fighters in the sport together will not kill the sport! If they can put this fight together then so be it...

By The Way, De La Hoya by late stoppage! too big, too strong!
Fitz
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 1 2008, 09:44 PM) [snapback]394340[/snapback]
Manny Pac doesn't have to clean up the lightweight division! He has already placed himself as an all time great.

Nobody is disputing that he isn't an all time great, but that doesn't mean not cleaning out the division is right. It's the same as Floyd Mayweather. No doubt what he did in his light weight years is great stuff, but look what he is doing now?
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 1 2008, 07:50 AM) [snapback]394341[/snapback]
Nobody is disputing that he isn't an all time great, but that doesn't mean not cleaning out the division is right. It's the same as Floyd Mayweather. No doubt what he did in his light weight years is great stuff, but look what he is doing now?

I agree,
cleaning out the lightweight division would do alot to Manny's legacy and show the true mark of an ALL TIME great! but I don't think if he chooses to go after Hatton or De La Hoya, that will kill the sport!
caneman
I say Pacman should fight whoever(edwin works I guess), then the winner of Campbell/Guzman and the winner of casa/JMM & then go for Hatton if Pacman can handle the weight gain! DLH is way to big for now & I guess PBF is out of the picture/retired! Too bad PBF didn't truly go after the best and push himself like Manny does(though I can see why he went for the $$$ & DLH)...I seen someone write something that hits the nail right on the head!
The list of deserving, dangerous guys Floyd avoided on his march up the weight classes is longer than my arm.

Pac has marched into each new weight class like a Drill Sargent into a barracks, looking to pick a fight with the biggest dude in the room and show everyone who's boss.

Floyd's approach was to send a Private in to scout the room, find someone not too threatening who would make him look good and lure them out into the parking lot away from their friends.

pretty well stated, wouldn't you say?
caneman
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 1 2008, 08:03 AM) [snapback]394344[/snapback]
I agree,
cleaning out the lightweight division would do alot to Manny's legacy and show the true mark of an ALL TIME great! but I don't think if he chooses to go after Hatton or De La Hoya, that will kill the sport!

Pacman already done that way better than PBF did IMO!
Fitz
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 1 2008, 10:03 PM) [snapback]394344[/snapback]
I agree,

Yes, of course this one act won't kill the sport on it's own and I am not criticizing Pacquiao either. He has fought his fair share of big fights. I just think these type of actions that is being discussed now is what is killing the sport in general.
People go after money fights that don't mean much rather than proving they are the best in their respected division.
caneman
Hey Fitz, sup bro? Don't you feel that Pacman has pretty much always done that? He went str8 to MAB, Morrales & JMM & granted rematches as well! I dunno, made I am one of the few that thinks Pacman fight 2-3 fights against the best before moving up in weight for Ricky Fatton!
buford54
I just love that there is a new p4p king.
I say, if Floyd wants it back, let him come back and fight a real fight against a champion to earn it back.
Manny has fought better competition for the last few years as it is.
The guy hasn't taken a soft touch in forever.
Manny fighting DLH is just a stupid and ridiculous suggestion. WHo even cares about that fight?
I think DLH needs to retire. WHile I like and respect the guy, fighters don't fight for belts and honor anymore, they fight in order to get a name so they can fight Oscar and retire. He needs to bow out gracefully to make room for new superstars.
Fitz
QUOTE(caneman @ Jul 1 2008, 11:23 PM) [snapback]394354[/snapback]
Hey Fitz, sup bro? Don't you feel that Pacman has pretty much always done that? He went str8 to MAB, Morrales & JMM & granted rematches as well! I dunno, made I am one of the few that thinks Pacman fight 2-3 fights against the best before moving up in weight for Ricky Fatton!

Hey man, not much. Yourself?
Yes I do agree that Pacquiao has done that in the past, and I want to continue to see him doing that. Which is why I would like to see him fight the top dogs at 135 before moving onto 140. That's just my preference.
BigG
I would prefer to see Pacquiao fight Marquez, Casamayor, Campbell, Guzman as well but moving up to face Hatton would be a big test..
Fitz
The other thing that turns me off about this fight is that it's only a win/win for one party. I don't like fights when only one guy will get credit for a win. Lets be fair, if Hatton wins he will not be given credit for it. I prefer fights where either guy can walk away and be given there dues.
caneman
I see what you are saying Fitz but let me tell you something, if Hatton did pull it off with the fury that Pacman will bring, he would deserve props & all his due!
Douchebag
Right after I saw this thread title I was tempted to make thread titled "Manny Pacquiao vs 3 Rabid Pitbulls" just to show how ridiculous this is getting.
thehype
LOL.

Kudos to Brad Cooney for his latest interview with Freddie Roach.

It looks like Roach would prefer for Pacquiao to fight De La Hoya too.

LOL.

I called it.

It's pretty sad that De La Hoya has to look at a lightweight for his next biggest fight.

laugh.gif

Pacquiao by Split Decision

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

laugh.gif

BH – Freddie, I am hearing and reading all over the place that Arum is gunning for Humberto Soto as Manny Pacquiao's next opponent. What are your thoughts on that?

FR – The thing is, Valero was suggested first and I accepted that fight. All of the sudden without calling me, Arum picks Humberto Soto? I talked to Manny last night and asked him if he wants to fight Soto, and he told me that he would fight him. I then asked him if he thinks that is the best fight for him right now. Manny asked me if I thought an Oscar De La Hoya fight could be made. I told him yes, I think it can be made at 147 lbs. I would have Manny come in at 140 lbs and the fight be at around 145lbs. Since we can't get Hatton right now, I think we should go after De La Hoya. I know Manny can beat Oscar right now, I know it.

BH – Are you concerned that in the meantime if Arum persists on getting Soto as the next opponent, that you guys will miss a great opportunity to fight De La Hoya?

FR – Soto lost his last fight -- that fight would be a tough sell for PPV. I trained Oscar in his last fight, and he can't pull the trigger anymore, he's an older guy. If Pacquiao fights like he did against David Diaz, there is no doubt in my mind that he will knockout De La Hoya. I don't want to miss this opportunity. Then after Oscar we can fight Hatton, if he beats Paulie. Those are two huge fights right there.

BH – What do you think Arum's motive is concerning Humberto Soto?

FR – I don't understand it. Soto beat Bobby Pacquiao, but Bobby is no Manny Pacquiao. I mean, what kind of PPV draw would that fight be? We are missing the boat! Oscar has talked about fighting Manny. We can have Oscar make 147 lbs, and we can add another Mexican legend to Manny's resume.

BH – Do you intend to call Arum and try reason with him?

FR – I am very surprised that he hasn't called me about this Soto situation. I asked Manny if Arum talked to him about Soto, and he told me 'no.' I asked Manny if he would like to fight De La Hoya, and he told me, 'Of course,' and he then asked me about the weight, and I told him we would make Oscar make 146 lbs, and we could make the fight.

BH – Do you think Manny could perform at 140 lbs?

FR – He came in at 135 lbs for Diaz, so I wouldn't want him too heavy so we would fight at 140 lbs. If Steve Forbes can hit De La Hoya that easily, imagine what Manny Pacquiao will do to him.

BH – Pacquiao vs. Diaz didn't do too well in PPV. Why do you think Arum would want Soto next? That fight wouldn't do any better in PPV.

FR – It's a tough sell, a Soto vs Pacquiao. It's not a PPV fight, it's a free HBO fight if anything. Valero can only fight in one state, and all of his fights were in Japan, so that's not a PPV fight either really. I would like to negotiate a Manny Pacquiao vs. Oscar De La Hoya fight.

BH – What would you like to say to Oscar De La Hoya?

FR- I want to tell him that he treated me well when I was training him, but I have the better guy right now. Manny is pound for pound the best fighter in the world. Oscar likes challenges, and here is a challenge. I would never take a fight that my guy couldn't win, that's for sure. Money doesn't matter, I know Manny can win this fight!

http://boxingherald.com/news/117/ARTICLE/1...2008-07-16.html
The Original MrFactor
Why do we keep seeing DLH being matched up with guys that are 2 -3 weight classes smaller than him? Why is there no fervor for him to fight the Cotto/Margarito winner. I think he's as bad as Mayweather if he avoids the obvious. People want to see the "stars" lining up to fight the winner of Cotto/Margarito. Cotto/Margarito is the most anticipated fight this year(so far). If a "star" stepped up to fight the winner, it would be "bigger and better down the line."
Tha Docta
i hear that Delahoya is going to finish his HOF career with a mega fight against Ivan Calderon.
kidbazooka1
This is a no win situtation for DLH he should just focuse on the winner of the Cotto/Margarito fight.
salvador
If DLH actually fought Pacquiao, that might be the final wedge that alienates him from the Mexican fans once and for all.

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(salvador @ Jul 22 2008, 06:31 PM) [snapback]396741[/snapback]
If DLH actually fought Pacquiao, that might be the final wedge that alienates him from the Mexican fans once and for all.

Disagree. He would be fighting for the Mexican fans, attempting to avenge the losses of Barrera, Morales and Marquez.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jul 23 2008, 10:21 AM) [snapback]396781[/snapback]
Disagree. He would be fighting for the Mexican fans, attempting to avenge the losses of Barrera, Morales and Marquez.

Like I said this is a no win situation for DLH. If he beats Manny everyone including mexican fans will say DLH was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big for Pac which is true.
Tha Docta

i disagree. mexican fans arent retarded. it would be obvious to them that delahoya is fighting a guy that started his career at close to 100lbs. i think the mexican fans would give him more respect if he were to beat the winner of margarito vs cotto.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jul 23 2008, 01:26 PM) [snapback]396806[/snapback]
If he beats Manny everyone including mexican fans will say DLH was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big for Pac which is true.

Maybe so but I also think plenty of mexican fans want to see Manny on his back, period, and will celebrate the mexican (mexican-american) who puts him there.

QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jul 23 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]396808[/snapback]
i think the mexican fans would give him more respect if he were to beat the winner of margarito vs cotto.

Of course but he probably wouldn't be able to do that.
salvador

Nah, the Mexican fans expect more than that out of their fighters. They'd rather see their guys go out on their shields than pussy out by fighting a guy way to small for him.

Mexican fans are the best in the sport by a wide margin and they know the deal. For my money, being THE MAN in the Mexican boxing world is cooler than being the Heavyweight champ, and I think Oscar craves that title more than any other - and he ain't gonna get it fighting a 135 pounder. Oscar needs to fight the winner of Cotto Margarito, Tito, Winky, or even Williams. Pacquiao would be the weakest move he could make and the Mexicans would hate him for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.