Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Jones Jr Vs Joe Calzaghe!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
D-MARV
Fight is being finalized as I type!

Joe Calzaghe will win by...

Fu*k IT!

WAR FUC*ING JONES!!!!!!

RJJ 6TKO
Box in Hand
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 30 2008, 07:06 AM) [snapback]394205[/snapback]
Fight is being finalized as I type!

Joe Calzaghe will win by...
Fu*k IT!

WAR FUC*ING JONES!!!!!!

RJJ 6TKO

Box in Hand
I agree that Roy is gong to win this fight. If you can't hurt Roy then he will walk all over you. Calzaghe doesn't hit hard enough to hurt Roy. Oh, by the way, Roy is still fast, just as fast as Calzaghe so don't sleep.
Douchebag
I hope Roy KO's him. I pray that Roy comes into this fight with the same bad intentions he had in the 2 fight with Montell Griffin.
buford54
First time in my life I would like to see Roy win a fight.
That said, Calzaghe by decision.
Roy will lay on the ropes and let Joe peck at him. Though Joe doesn't hit hard his punches seem have enough to keep Lacy, Kessler and Hopkins honest.
Fitz
Finally, it can put an end to everything for a while. Calazghe is winning this one, haven't decided if it will be by stoppage or not.
BigG
WAR ROY JONES!!!

With that said...Calzaghe by UD
BGv2.0
I have no idea why people would pick RJJ to win this fight! lol

I have ZERO doubt in my mind Calzaghe will win this. Roy can spout off all he wants about being back 100%.....it's all BS. His legs are gone and with a guy like Calzaghe...if you sit still his work rate is going to muder you.

If Calzaghe can beat the Hopkins of today....there is no doubt he can beat the RJJ of today.
Box in Hand
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Jun 30 2008, 11:16 AM) [snapback]394234[/snapback]
I have no idea why people would pick RJJ to win this fight! lol
I have ZERO doubt in my mind Calzaghe will win this. Roy can spout off all he wants about being back 100%.....it's all BS. His legs are gone and with a guy like Calzaghe...if you sit still his work rate is going to muder you.

If Calzaghe can beat the Hopkins of today....there is no doubt he can beat the RJJ of today.

Box in Hand
First off, Calzaghe barely beat an aging Hopkins. Some thought he didn't even win that fight. Next, Calzaghe doen't have the power to hurt Roy. Roy is still as quick as Calzaghe and is just as smart. Please be believe, Roy will win this fight.
monzo
roy by ko
monzo
roy by ko
JD
Roy doesn't have the legs.

Joe Cal by virtue of activity...Roy cannot help but go to the ropes, and that will be his downfall.
Mean Mister Mustard
Last time I rooted for Jones was in his third fight with Tarver and he didn't do anything but run and make funny faces. Jones is going to try in the early rounds but once he sees he can't stop Calzaghe he will run to the ropes, cover up, just survive.

Jones wants to win this he'll have to fight like he did against Tito, using the Wright defense trying to walk Calzaghe down. And go to the body! Calzaghe doesn't like it down there, look at Byron Mitchell and how he was landing some bombs downstairs, they bothered the Welshman, Kessler also hurt Calzaghe to the body. Remember, guys with granite chins often can't take it to the body.
Tha Docta
i look at the tito fight a little differently. i was a little surprised at how competitive tito was against roy. i dont see how roy is going to keep up with joes workrate. and besides the shot to titos temple that messed with his equilibrium, i didnt see anything that would be considered knockout power out of roy. i thought hed be alot stronger at the lower weight but that didnt seem to be the case. i think roys in trouble.
PR316
Roy has a good chance here. Joe isn't a big puncher, and slaps alot, and Roy is still faster and more skilled.

I'll say that Calzaghe decisions him here with activity. It'll be competitive. Roy, like Bernard will land cleaner and more damaging punches. Just not enough of them to make it count in the end.
Douchebag
QUOTE(PR316 @ Jun 30 2008, 02:38 PM) [snapback]394253[/snapback]
Roy has a good chance here. Joe isn't a big puncher, and slaps alot, and Roy is still faster and more skilled.
I'll say that Calzaghe decisions him here with activity. It'll be competitive. Roy, like Bernard will land cleaner and more damaging punches. Just not enough of them to make it count in the end.

the longer this fight goes the more it will favor zaghe. Roy is only winning by KO if he catches him cold.
Method
Roy, like Bernard will land cleaner and more damaging punches. Just not enough of them to make it count in the end.

Roy, UNLIKE Bernard, will get hit a lot more. Hopkins landed plenty to make it count. Compucrock's very unofficial numbers were used as reasoning to support giving the decision to the meal ticket.
Tha Docta
bernard doesnt throw enough punches to win fights clearly anymore. thats why he lost. and roy is going to have the same problem here. i dont think jones possesses the one punch KO power that hes gonna need to win this one. if he was too scared to jump on tito when he had him hurt, then he probably wont jump on calzaghe if the opportunity presents itself either.
Method
Hopkins threw enough versus Joe, and (and I don't give a fuck WHAT Compubx says) landed much more on Joe than Joe did on him.

Nothing you can do about it now.

Roy's just gonna get out worked, and Joe will land on Jones where he wasn't landing on Bernard.
U.S. Champ
Since its official I won't back down off of my earlier post Roy by violent TKO, Roy's Handspeed, Accuracy, Power, and Experience against the best will be to much for Joe Calslappy, Emphasis on Punch Accuracy which gets overlooked by most people, and his ring smarts will be another big factor leading to the aforementioned VIOLENT TKO
JD
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Jun 30 2008, 04:49 PM) [snapback]394265[/snapback]
Since its official I won't back down off of my earlier post Roy by violent TKO, Roy's Handspeed, Accuracy, Power, and Experience against the best will be to much for Joe Calslappy, Emphasis on Punch Accuracy which gets overlooked by most people, and his ring smarts will be another big factor leading to the aforementioned VIOLENT TKO

When was the last time Roy violently KO'd or TKO'd someone?
FenderDG3
QUOTE(JD @ Jun 30 2008, 05:15 PM) [snapback]394274[/snapback]

Not since 2002... thus I don't see a "Violent" KO is RJJ's future.
PR316
QUOTE(Method @ Jun 30 2008, 07:05 PM) [snapback]394256[/snapback]
Roy, UNLIKE Bernard, will get hit a lot more. Hopkins landed plenty to make it count. Compucrock's very unofficial numbers were used as reasoning to support giving the decision to the meal ticket.

Well I mean not landing enough to make it count on the judges cards. My understanding is they don't have access to compubox stats(Which is supposed to be a good thing). But anybody who scores it 116-111 for Joe over B-Hop(I think thats what it was), then I guess they shouldn't have a boxing judge license.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(JD @ Jun 30 2008, 05:15 PM) [snapback]394274[/snapback]

I'm thinking Vinny Pazienza, 1995?

Just kidding. Montell Griffin, 1997.

Joe Cal's in some trouble now!
Mean Mister Mustard
Roy still has flashes of great handspeed but one of the reasons I don't think he will win is his mentality. The man went years without being in a hard fight and I don't think he has enough to dig down and be willing to get hit in order to land his punches. He even said so after the 3rd Tarver fight.

Jones has shown heart in his fights like when he finished strong against Tarver in their first encounter, even though he was exhausted. I give Jones a shot here but if I had to bet, I'd go with Calzaghe.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 30 2008, 07:18 PM) [snapback]394281[/snapback]
Roy still has flashes of great handspeed but one of the reasons I don't think he will win is his mentality. The man went years without being in a hard fight and I don't think he has enough to dig down and be willing to get hit in order to land his punches. He even said so after the 3rd Tarver fight.

Jones has shown heart in his fights like when he finished strong against Tarver in their first encounter, even though he was exhausted. I give Jones a shot here but if I had to bet, I'd go with Calzaghe.

my favorite jones fight was the first tarver fight. you finally got a chance to see how the man reacted to a tough fight. i thought he showed some balls and toughness that you werent able to see throughout his career. he outmanned tarver and took that fight.
King Eugene
Roy Wins, he has heart weather you want to admit it or not. Just look at the first Tarver fight and the condition he was in. I think Calzaghe is a good fighter but I feel Roy is a even smarter fighter and he will watch his past couple of fights and come up with the best plan to beat Calzaghe. If it goes to decision it could be shaky but I think Roy has the chance to stop him, not off a one punch knockout but off a nice lil combination. Hell his last two fights he had he hurt both fighters. He hurt Tito but didnt finish him cause of a torn bicep and he hurt Hanshaw in the 10th with a nice combo. Dont count Roy out quite yet. I just hope he doesnt let it go to the decision cause if he does they will give it to Calzaghe just cause he throw a 1000 cotton punches.

Roy by stoppage!
hardhead
Roy will not knock anyone out, I quite hoping for that years ago, if he couldn't finish off Hanshaw, Badi Amanju and a fat Trinidad he aint going to knock Calzaghe out, if he does win it will be a decision and like others mentioned, found the fountain of youth, while and his better hand speed completely befuddles Calzaghe.

Of course being a big Roy fan I would love to be 100% wrong and see Jones smash Calzaghe with a left hook right hand, right uppercut combo but that shit WILL NOT happen, well let me rephrase that, there's about a 99.5% chance of a Jones KO not happening...laugh.gif

I think Joe wins this by decision(God do I HATE saying that), I don't remember if I made any early predictions on this board but If I did it was probably my heart talking but logic has to win out on this one...Calzaghe by decision(say 3 points). thumbsdown_anim.gif
D-MARV
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jun 30 2008, 07:17 PM) [snapback]394280[/snapback]
I'm thinking Vinny Pazienza, 1995?

Just kidding. Montell Griffin, 1997.

Joe Cal's in some trouble now!

Oh come on now!
Let's not forget about the "Liver Shot of 98'"

And the brutal beating he gave Richard Hall in 2000!

"IT CAN HAPPEN" dntknw.gif

D-MARV
QUOTE(hardhead @ Jun 30 2008, 08:38 PM) [snapback]394289[/snapback]
Roy will not knock anyone out, I quite hoping for that years ago, if he couldn't finish off Hanshaw, Badi Amanju and a fat Trinidad he aint going to knock Calzaghe out, if he does win it will be a decision and like others mentioned, found the fountain of youth, while and his better hand speed completely befuddles Calzaghe.

Of course being a big Roy fan I would love to be 100% wrong and see Jones smash Calzaghe with a left hook right hand, right uppercut combo but that shit WILL NOT happen, well let me rephrase that, there's about a 99.5% chance of a Jones KO not happening...laugh.gif

I think Joe wins this by decision(God do I HATE saying that), I don't remember if I made any early predictions on this board but If I did it was probably my heart talking but logic has to win out on this one...Calzaghe by decision(say 3 points). thumbsdown_anim.gif

Have more faith in our Man!

Man some crazy shit has happen in this sport!

Remember, All Time Greats always have that 1 fight left! Just Believe!!!!!!

I.E
Ali-Foreman
Holyfield-Tyson
Foreman-Moore
Fitz
I like how people bring up "he barely got by an old Hopkins".

Haha, like Calazghe was ever supposed to shut this guy out totally and then knock him out in the 8th. Is that what guys expected? Haha. Hopkins is much trickier to hit than Jones and smarter in the ring as well. I give Jones a punchers chance, that's it. He is getting totally outworked in this fight. This should be considered a rubbish fight, but all the deluded fans that expect Jones to win impressively are making this a fight that Calazghe is going to have to be given credit for, haha.
hardhead
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 1 2008, 02:02 AM) [snapback]394295[/snapback]

I.E
Ali-Foreman
Holyfield-Tyson
Foreman-Moore

Trust me I will be on my knee's praying and saying my novena's and all... thumbsup_anim.gif
Fitz
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 1 2008, 12:02 PM) [snapback]394295[/snapback]

I.E
Ali-Foreman
Holyfield-Tyson
Foreman-Moore

But the people you mentioned all have great heart and a set of balls.
BoxingStill#1

1.) Roy needs to play his distance throughout this fight less he get into a brawl with the fast slapping Joe....

2.) Roy needs NOT to have the winky wright defense because Joe is going to look good just throwing punches @ him.

3.) Roy does have a good chance of stopping him, but it will be early, once Joe gets in his "mode", it will be hard to stop his momentum . Therefore, Roy needs to make himself as elusive as possibe in order to break Joe's will...(mentally)

4.) But does Roy have the reaction time of old?,......no way........So its hard to say how he can pull this fight off.....

5.) Honestly, I want Roy to win. But it will take the old Roy Jones Jr we use to know to make it happen....

Bill The Butcher
I either see Roy Jones keeping his distance, making Calzaghe play some "Who's faster?" pot-shot game, and winning a split, or Roy Jones becoming flat footed and taking too many shots and Calzaghe getting an easy UD.

For some reason, my gut feeling is leaning towards Roy Jones winning a split decision.
HaydelHammer
Roy by KO 1

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 1 2008, 03:10 AM) [snapback]394300[/snapback]
But the people you mentioned all have great heart and a set of balls.

Thay also had great chins.

Roy will be beat & beat good. Cal ain't no Glen Kelly or Richard Hall he is a two division undisputed champion.
The Original MrFactor
Amazing how many people are picking Jones by KO. Quick question... When was the last time Jones KO'd anyone? Another quick question... When was the last time Calzaghe was KO'd... Dont think Jones wins this by KO, unless of course he comes in dressed as an 80's Tyson.

I see Joe winning this one by getting more touches on Jones. Against a pedestrian Tito, Jones gave rounds away when he should have ended the fight within 5 or 6 rounds. Against a naturally bigger more active guy, Jones is gonna be giving alot more away. he will get some clean shots against Cal, but they may come in rounds 4, 7 and 10. Thats it. Jones lays back and lets Calzaghe hack his way to a decision. We will all be wasting PPV money hoping that a 32 year old Jones somehow comes out and KO's Calzaghe. Aint happenin...

Calzaghe D12 or late stoppage...
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 30 2008, 09:57 PM) [snapback]394294[/snapback]
Oh come on now!
Let's not forget about the "Liver Shot of 98'"

And the brutal beating he gave Richard Hall in 2000!

"IT CAN HAPPEN" dntknw.gif

Yea he did beat the shit out of Richard Hall. I sometimes watch that one just to get amped up. LOL Hell that was damn target practice. And if the corner wouldnt have stepped in he would have beat the mess out of Clinton Woods too.

Did anybody forget about what he did to Glen Kelly? He's had some good knockouts in the 2000's
Fitz
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised how many are picking Jones by KO as well. I do give him a punchers chance, which is usually a nice way of saying he doesn't have a shot unless he lands that one punch. But people feel so strongly about Jones winning by KO.
Remember Trinidad? A chinny welter weight? A guy that got stopped by Bernard Hopkins 7 years ago and 10lbs lighter? Jones didn't even want to put him away, after not putting Tito away, I don't know how people can feel so strongly about Jones knocking Calazghe out violently.
King Eugene
I mean come on now lets be honest folks. If you look at this thing on paper Calzaghe wins easy by UD. I dont want to believe this is going to happen. Why? For one every great fading boxer still has a punchers chance. Two I still think Jones got something in him that even a primed Calzaghe is no match for and thats Jones speed. Yes Calzaghe has speed but Jones is faster and hits harder. And people please give Trinidad his credit for being tough. Think about it, he's only been stopped once and that was by Hopkins. Believe it or not but Hopkins has stopped a lot of fighters. Roy knows his body better than anybody else and he knows what to do. So I'm trusting that he'll have the right game plan to be Calzaghe (hopefully it wont have to do with him laying his ass on the ropes and trying to counter punch from it). But I think if Roy hurts Calzaghe enough he'll be consistent about bull rushing in there and throwing slaps.

As a Roy fan I'm rooting for Roy weather its by KO or decision...I dont give a damn as long as its a win. But as a man who considers himself to know a good deal about boxing I'd say Calzaghe has the better chance of winning cause of his work rate..

But in the end...I hope Roy whoop his ass!
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 1 2008, 01:03 AM) [snapback]394315[/snapback]
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised how many are picking Jones by KO as well. I do give him a punchers chance, which is usually a nice way of saying he doesn't have a shot unless he lands that one punch. But people feel so strongly about Jones winning by KO.
Remember Trinidad? A chinny welter weight? A guy that got stopped by Bernard Hopkins 7 years ago and 10lbs lighter? Jones didn't even want to put him away, after not putting Tito away, I don't know how people can feel so strongly about Jones knocking Calazghe out violently.

Its a clip on youtube (cant remember the name of it) but Jones was being interviewed after the trinidad fight backstage when Trinidad was giving his post fight conference. Jones was asked by a reporter why couldnt he finish Tito off and Jones said he tried but he TORE his bicep I believe 3 weeks (could be wrong about the time but damnit he tore it) before the fight but didnt want to call it off so he didnt have all the power he would normally have to stop him! Go check it out if you will...
Fitz
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jul 1 2008, 03:28 PM) [snapback]394322[/snapback]
Its a clip on youtube (cant remember the name of it) but Jones was being interviewed after the trinidad fight backstage when Trinidad was giving his post fight conference. Jones was asked by a reporter why couldnt he finish Tito off and Jones said he tried but he TORE his bicep I believe 3 weeks (could be wrong about the time but damnit he tore it) before the fight but didnt want to call it off so he didnt have all the power he would normally have to stop him! Go check it out if you will...

I never listen to what Jones has to say. Didn't he say that he lost to Tarver in the 3rd fight because he didn't want his dad to take the credit for the win?
King Eugene
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 1 2008, 01:36 AM) [snapback]394323[/snapback]
I never listen to what Jones has to say. Didn't he say that he lost to Tarver in the 3rd fight because he didn't want his dad to take the credit for the win?

Nah I dont remember that.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jul 1 2008, 05:02 AM) [snapback]394314[/snapback]
Yea he did beat the shit out of Richard Hall. I sometimes watch that one just to get amped up. LOL Hell that was damn target practice. And if the corner wouldnt have stepped in he would have beat the mess out of Clinton Woods too.

Did anybody forget about what he did to Glen Kelly? He's had some good knockouts in the 2000's

It is easy to look great against a tomato can. I watched most of Glen Kelly's career & he was no world beater not even close.
Fitz
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jul 1 2008, 04:42 PM) [snapback]394327[/snapback]
Nah I dont remember that.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/rivjo..._Jones_Jr/33684

Roy worried that people would give his dad undue credit if he won. It didnít mean he lost on purpose. It just kept him from being focused on Tarver.

Couldn't find a direct quote, it was posted on these boards, maybe someone else can find it. Even if he didn't say that, I have heard enough from him in the past to know not to believe a thing that comes out of his mouth.
Method

Yes. He did. That is not for dispute.

I think Calzaghe's gonna out work him, but guess what? I AM pulling for Jones. I'd love to see Roy stop him. Calzaghe amateur style is bullshit.
The Original MrFactor
I remember Jones saying it as well... He's silly sometimes. I also remember the thing about the torn bicep too...

I'd also like to see Jones win here, but I dont see how he does with all that leather flying toward him...
Method
Yup. He made the comment about the torn bicep which was no more believable than the broken right hand versus Hopkins. All a crock o' shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.