Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seattle Super Sonics
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Bill The Butcher
The Supersonics no longer are in Seattle, supposedly they are to be moved starting tomorrow.

I'm not a NBA fan or Supersonics fan for that matter, but I live in the Seattle area, and I'm a little bummed out that this team is heading out of town for good. This franchise has been in Seattle for 42 years. I'm guessing a lot of local businesses will be effected by this move. Too bad the city couldn't keep them around.
D-MARV
The Oklahoma City Super Sonics!!!!

That has a catchy tone to it...

huh.gif
BigG
My favorite duo of all time...http://youtube.com/watch?v=g36vjEI9cYg
Mean Mister Mustard
So what does Seattle have left other than the smell of urine the streets let out?
Fitz
Serious question. Are clubs in basketball shown less respect or people tend not to give a shit about them as much? Because wasn't it the Charlotte Hornets fucked off on also and now are New Orleans.
Things like that happen in the Australian basketball league as well. Always mergers, teams getting kicked out. Teams don't seem as stable like other sports.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 2 2008, 10:53 PM) [snapback]394662[/snapback]
Serious question. Are clubs in basketball shown less respect or people tend not to give a shit about them as much? Because wasn't it the Charlotte Hornets fucked off on also and now are New Orleans.
Things like that happen in the Australian basketball league as well. Always mergers, teams getting kicked out. Teams don't seem as stable like other sports.

OH yeah man...without doubt! The NBA was once on par with the NFL...maybe even more popular. BUT....when that insanely talented 80's class all started to age out and retire.....Jordan, Ewing, Thomas, Drexler, Pippen, etc. (it just goes on and on).....they were all replaced with either much less talented players or thugged out prison fodder that really turned off many fans....it's been a steady downward slide every since. I think it's getting a little better.

But it's for that reason that the new NFL Commish is cracking down so hard on players that get involved in moronic bullshit....he even made a statement in an interview that he did not want the NFL to go the way of the NBA.

It just stands to reason...if you have less of a fanbase....smaller markets just can't keep their teams. I used to know the NBA backward and forward.....hell I know so little now...I just found out a day or so ago that the Hornets moved! lol

As for Seattle...GOOD! Being near Houston....I can say Shawn Kemp and the Supersonics were a fucking nightmare for the Rockets many, many, many seasons came to an end at their hands! I have no love for them at all.
hardhead
The NBA was slumping a little in the late 90's early 2000's but the last couple years IMO have been about as good since I've been watching, which has been about the 91.

Oklahoma City's nickname will be the Outlaws.
Fitz
Yeah, thanks for the reply BG. Even in Australia it seems like history doesn't even matter to the basketball clubs. Look at the history of one the clubs in our basketball league the NBL.

Nunawading Spectors merged with another side. They became South East Melbourne Magic.
South East Melbourne Magic merged years later with North Melbourne Giants. They became the Victoria Titans.
Victoria Titans I think had trouble and changed to Victoria Giants.

Then this season Sydney is kicked out of the competition for money issues or something.

Even looking at the NBA I have noticed changes. It just seems like basketball clubs don't have the history, patriotism that other clubs get. Basketball seems to have a "meh" type of opinion from people. It's as if people just don't care. I can't imagine changes like that happening this frequently to clubs of other sports.
I understand some clubs struggle and they do have to merge or do something. But it just seems to happen a whole lot more in basketball than other sports. I get the impression that basketball has no where near the credibility it once had.
I used to follow basketball in the mid 90's when cards were popular, you had players like Jordan, Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson, Pippen, Shaq, Barkley, Mourning, L.Johnson etc. You had a whole list of players that all kids loved and the players seemed likable. Not sure what happened but seems like basketball took a big fall and not as many people seem to care much these days either.
That's just the opinion I have gathered from Australia watching Australian basketball and the coverage of the NBA has dropped significantly as well.
caneman
I am sure Sir Mix A Lot is crying in his beer! Shocking news though...I never would have though Sea~town would let them get away!
Bill The Butcher
Seattle gets to keep the team name, logos, colors, etc. But the players and staff head out of town.

Their new name is going to be the Oklahoma City Bombers. I kid.

Stern said that Seattle must at least renovate the Key Arena or build a new Arena for a possible future team. Stern said that the NBA would alert Seattle of any sale of another team. But first they must build or renovate an Arena.

Of course Seattle was going to turn down a possible $500 million Arena for Bennett and his Sonics. Seattle has a new baseball and football stadium. Plus they put money into Key Arena not too long ago.

Again, I don't watch that much NBA basketball, but I think Stern is a fag. I heard that this is not the only shady dealings that he has done. He used Seattle as an example if a city doesn't cater to his demands. Schultz is a douchebag for even selling the team in the first place, especially to an outsider that was just foaming out the mouth to bring an NBA team to Oklahoma. He could have waited for a local buyer, but he just wanted to make a quick dollar.

I'm going to laugh if Schultz wins his law suit against Bennett. That means the Sonics come back to Seattle, and the judge will auction the team off to a local buyer. Tha would be classic, but I don't see that happening. Too many transactions have taken place. Plus I'm not sure if Schultz even has much of a case.
rusty_trombone
Does my man Shawn Kemp still play for them? He was an alcoholic or something, right?
BigG
Kemp ballooned to like 280 and played for Orlando a few years ago. He was a crackhead...

Kemp/Payton - Best duo ever
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jul 5 2008, 02:48 PM) [snapback]394925[/snapback]
Kemp ballooned to like 280 and played for Orlando a few years ago. He was a crackhead...

Kemp/Payton - Best duo ever

NBA Jam was the best basketball video game ever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.