Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik vs Williams at Middleweight??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
hardhead
Pavlik vs Williams?

Williams is basically a middleweight walking around and seemed to struggle to make weight in the first Quintanna fight but even though I really, really like Williams I wonder if he's good enough defensively to hold up to a guy like Pavlik. I mean Williams has shown a pretty solid chin(not always the best defense though) taking some big shots against Margarito and Quintanna but Pavlik is a whole other ball game when it comes those rights and uppercuts and the power.
Mean Mister Mustard
Yeah he needs to protect himself better, he ate a shitload of clean flush shots from Quintana in their first fight and I am convinced that had he not stopped him in the rematch he would have gone on to eat many more.

hardhead
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 4 2008, 03:45 AM) [snapback]394774[/snapback]
Yeah he needs to protect himself better, he ate a shitload of clean flush shots from Quintana in their first fight and I am convinced that had he not stopped him in the rematch he would have gone on to eat many more.

I agree, I think this would be a blowout win for Pavlik. I definitely don't have much interest in this fight. Abraham on the other hand I think gives Pavlik all he can handle in a very exciting, hard hitting battle.
thehype
Williams must have a death wish.

That's how you know boxing is in bad shape...these guys have to skip one or two divisions in order to make fights...Oscar was looking at Hatton, Jones was calling out Oscar, now Pavlik looking at Williams...that's just crazy. Whatever happened to guys fighting other guys in their own division?

dntknw.gif
Fitz
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 4 2008, 02:15 PM) [snapback]394783[/snapback]
Williams must have a death wish.

That's how you know boxing is in bad shape...these guys have to skip one or two divisions in order to make fights...Oscar was looking at Hatton, Jones was calling out Oscar, now Pavlik looking at Williams...that's just crazy. Whatever happened to guys fighting other guys in their own division?

dntknw.gif

This coming from Mr Hatton vs Pacquiao thread laugh.gif.

But I agree with the post you made and it's why I don't like your thread on Hatton vs Pacquiao lol.

I think both Hatton-Pacquiao and Pavlik-Williams would both make good fights, but I don't see the point when there are perfectly good fights in there respective divisions. If Williams cannot make 147 anymore that's a different story and understandable and this fight won't bother me.
Fuck, just as soon as I was typing this, it just clicked that Williams would have to move up 2 divisions. Fuck this fight, fight at 154 first. This is what kills boxing. There is rarely a serious champion anymore, when ever there is they move and don't defend there titles, so us fans never get to see just how much of a champion these guys are.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 4 2008, 06:37 AM) [snapback]394787[/snapback]
This coming from Mr Hatton vs Pacquiao thread laugh.gif.

That is only one division.
King Eugene
I understand this is called prize fighting but whatever happen to people fighting all of their mandatories and cleaning out their divisions before making the big big name fights. But at the same time I dont blame them for going after big fights with big money. I mean hell you cant pass up too many opportunitys cause you dont know if they will ever come again or if you'll be champion long enough to get those offers again.
D-MARV
I was talking about this fight back in Febuary after the Jermain Taylor fight and I remember a few posters thinking I was an Idiot for even thinking of this fight... Well, I'm glad I was being a total a$$hole!

This may not be so easy for Pavlik...
I mean I definitely favor him but take notice of the following:

-Paul Williams is a Southpaw
-Paul Williams has the longer reach
-Paul is more active
-Paul Williams has the quicker hands

If Jermain Taylor almost had enough to pull off a decision over Pavlik then I dont think it's totally impossible for Paul Williams to do it!

I am a fan of both fighters by I don't think Kelly Pavlik is as dominant as most people seem to think.

He is certainly the best middleweight in the world but he can be beaten!

I would like too see Paul Williams take a tune up at Middleweight before he jumped to Kelly Pavlik though!
JD
I guess it's better than Rubio or Duddy...but it would be a beatdown. Williams has NOTHING to keep Pavlik off of him.

If Margarito had P-Will huffing late, Pavlik is going to hurt him badly.
D-MARV
At this point I would say Pavlik by late Stoppage! But I expect Williams to be competative for the first half of the fight!
JD
Perhaps, though Williams has never been in the ring with a guy that is bigger than him...nor has he ever seen a guy with a height advantage.

If Williams sits down on his shots, he will get battered. If Williams pitter pats, he will get walked down and broken down.

I just do not see that Paul Williams has anything for Kelly Pavlik here.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 4 2008, 08:51 AM) [snapback]394798[/snapback]
Perhaps, though Williams has never been in the ring with a guy that is bigger than him...nor has he ever seen a guy with a height advantage.

If Williams sits down on his shots, he will get battered. If Williams pitter pats, he will get walked down and broken down.

Paul has fought guys bigger than him, though no where near the talent level of Kelly Pavlik. Paul's first 15 fights, or so, were at middleweight! I have followed Paul for a long time! I met Paul back in 2000 here in D.C. He had a fight and he was training at a gym nearby!

Anywayz... I think Paul would be best serve to come out and let his hands fly! Of course work behind a Jab!

One thing that I have noticed about Pavlik (in the Taylor fight and even in the Zertruche fight) was he had a hard time dealing with activity!

Taylor was successful when he let his hands go and Zertruche had mild success until he was put to sleep standing up. (Literally Standing up, LOL)

I think Paul's style along with his reach advantage would trouble Kelly in the early going but what makes Kelly a great fighter is his ability to keep coming foward and his Punching power.

So at the end of the day I expect a single shot Right Hand to have Williams nodding off!
kidbazooka1
If Williams chin can hold up I give him a real good chance at beating Pavlik.
monzo
this will be an easy one for pavlik.

there still are some fights in welterweight for paul, if he can make the weight, there are margarito, mosley, judah, cotto, berto...
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 4 2008, 09:23 AM) [snapback]394800[/snapback]
Paul has fought guys bigger than him, though no where near the talent level of Kelly Pavlik. Paul's first 15 fights, or so, were at middleweight! I have followed Paul for a long time! I met Paul back in 2000 here in D.C. He had a fight and he was training at a gym nearby!

Anywayz... I think Paul would be best serve to come out and let his hands fly! Of course work behind a Jab!

One thing that I have noticed about Pavlik (in the Taylor fight and even in the Zertruche fight) was he had a hard time dealing with activity!

Taylor was successful when he let his hands go and Zertruche had mild success until he was put to sleep standing up. (Literally Standing up, LOL)

I think Paul's style along with his reach advantage would trouble Kelly in the early going but what makes Kelly a great fighter is his ability to keep coming foward and his Punching power.

So at the end of the day I expect a single shot Right Hand to have Williams nodding off!

I have followed Paul Williams for a while as well, and if you look at who he fought at middle - there was no one who was really any bigger than him - at least to the tune of Pavlik's size. But yes, I will agree that Williams having fought at middle was something that is overlooked, though in the end I expect his experience there to be irrelevant.

Taylor's success came from his exceptional handspeed, and he had power to go with it...in both cases Taylor's handspeed and power exceed what Paul Williams can bring in my opinion. As for Zertuche, I think his perceived success came from the fact that Pavlik was a bit flat that night. If you rewatch the fight, Zertuche didn't really do anything Pavlik had not seen, The Ghost just seemed to struggle to find his groove until he damn near decapitated Zertuche.

I guess this is where we disagree, because I honestly see nothing in Paul Williams style that would trouble Pavlik...maybe I am overlooking something here, but I just don't see it.
BigG
Paul might win a few rounds early but Pavlik stops him for sure...
clippers19901
Pavlik will put too much pressure on him and break him down physically and mentally. I'd rather see Abraham-Pavlik though.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 4 2008, 05:53 AM) [snapback]394791[/snapback]
I was talking about this fight back in Febuary after the Jermain Taylor fight and I remember a few posters thinking I was an Idiot for even thinking of this fight... Well, I'm glad I was being a total a$$hole!

This may not be so easy for Pavlik...
I mean I definitely favor him but take notice of the following:

-Paul Williams is a Southpaw
-Paul Williams has the longer reach
-Paul is more active
-Paul Williams has the quicker hands

If Jermain Taylor almost had enough to pull off a decision over Pavlik then I dont think it's totally impossible for Paul Williams to do it!

I am a fan of both fighters by I don't think Kelly Pavlik is as dominant as most people seem to think.

He is certainly the best middleweight in the world but he can be beaten!

I would like too see Paul Williams take a tune up at Middleweight before he jumped to Kelly Pavlik though!

Williams vs Mora..........or possibly Williams and somebody in the 154lbs division.......perhaps Sims or even Spinks
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 4 2008, 07:51 AM) [snapback]394798[/snapback]

If I recall Williams is 6'3" an inch taller than Kelly and if this fight happened right now I would highly favor Pavlik. On the other hand if Paul is smart and works his way up stopping at 154 allowing Kelly to get beat up a little bit by Arthur in the process emphasis on a little bit, then my opinion would change. So basically in about two years I would favor Paul but no time soon.
Boxingjunkie
If Williams comes in more prepaired then he did against Quintana he could make this an interesting fight. But he gets hit way to much and Pavlik hits a helluva lot harder than Quintana.
JD
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Jul 4 2008, 01:19 PM) [snapback]394815[/snapback]
If I recall Williams is 6'3" an inch taller than Kelly and if this fight happened right now I would highly favor Pavlik. On the other hand if Paul is smart and works his way up stopping at 154 allowing Kelly to get beat up a little bit by Arthur in the process emphasis on a little bit, then my opinion would change. So basically in about two years I would favor Paul but no time soon.

Pavlik is actually right around 6'3", Williams is 6'1".
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 4 2008, 11:47 AM) [snapback]394805[/snapback]
I have followed Paul Williams for a while as well, and if you look at who he fought at middle - there was no one who was really any bigger than him - at least to the tune of Pavlik's size. But yes, I will agree that Williams having fought at middle was something that is overlooked, though in the end I expect his experience there to be irrelevant.

Taylor's success came from his exceptional handspeed, and he had power to go with it...in both cases Taylor's handspeed and power exceed what Paul Williams can bring in my opinion. As for Zertuche, I think his perceived success came from the fact that Pavlik was a bit flat that night. If you rewatch the fight, Zertuche didn't really do anything Pavlik had not seen, The Ghost just seemed to struggle to find his groove until he damn near decapitated Zertuche.

I guess this is where we disagree, because I honestly see nothing in Paul Williams style that would trouble Pavlik...maybe I am overlooking something here, but I just don't see it.

It's cool that we disagree because we both seem to agree on the outcome! A PAVLIK KO VICTORY!
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 4 2008, 01:58 PM) [snapback]394821[/snapback]
It's cool that we disagree because we both seem to agree on the outcome! A PAVLIK KO VICTORY!

Nah man, I am not cool with it. I am irate about it and would prefer if you could see things my way.

Here is your chance...I would recommend that you take it.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 4 2008, 02:02 PM) [snapback]394822[/snapback]
Nah man, I am not cool with it. I am irate about it and would prefer if you could see things my way.

Here is your chance...I would recommend that you take it.

LOL
Alright you have influenced my opinion! Williams has no chance!!!!!!!!!
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 4 2008, 02:04 PM) [snapback]394825[/snapback]
LOL
Alright you have influenced my opinion! Williams has no chance!!!!!!!!!

LOL...good. Now I am cool with it.

Smart call.
U.S. Champ
I think Kelly is damn good but not unbeatable if Paul waited until he was a true middleweight I think it would be possible
JD
Pavlik is beatable, just not by a guy like Paul Williams.

I think Arthur Abraham has a much better shot...I also think Abraham would beat Williams.
BigG
Pavlik should fight Winky
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jul 5 2008, 08:23 AM) [snapback]394896[/snapback]
Pavlik should fight Winky

I would like to see this fight too but I dont think its going to happen. Winky keeps pricing himself out!
MarzB

This joke of a fight (P Dub vs. Pav) is no more (thank god) as it appears to be Winky.

http://www.boxingscene.com/index.php?m=show&id=14787

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.