Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather criticizes HBO
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
buford54
So, he said they praise white and hispanic fighters (citing Pacquiao, who is not really hispanic, but whatever) but trash black fighters.
I would hold that it is not a racial thing, but an excitement/marketing thing.
True, they love Pacquiao and Pavlik and trash Floyd, but look at the style differences. Pavlik and Manny are both straight forward, KO artists. Mayweather plays peakaboo for 12 rounds.

I would also say that they loved Jermain Taylor, prior to his fights with Spink and Ouma.
They were ready to get rid of Hopkins who doesn't really have a crowd pleasing style at all, and they liked Taylor plenty.
They changed their tune on him when he started delivering boring, questionable fights. The guy who beat him was even more exciting than JT when he was young, so they jumped on board.

I can't stand this victim crap from Floyd. He can't have everything both ways. He says HBO is great, but their announcers are biased, but he will work with HBO again. He says that when he retires he's going to stay retired, then says people can't say he came back after his first retirement...he just came back and fought one fight. Unless Floyd gets everything he wants, he's getting screwed. He can say that his HBO contract is slave wages and call them racist, but says that they are great and he wants to work with them again.
Guess what, if HBO decides not to work with him again because they don't like being called racists, he'll claim that they "would rather work with hispanics like DLH" and they won't work with him because he's black.

Dude, deliver an exciting fight, come out swinging and knocking people out, and Larry Merchant would be your biggest fan, ever. Floyd has more natural gifts than anyone on earth and he chooses to fight safety first. That's his perogitive. Just don't say that people criticize you because you are black. Sam Peter has plenty of hype on HBO. He knocks people out.
I would never say that race has nothing to do with it, but don't pretend that the fact that you are boring as hell to watch in the ring and take no risks has nothing to do with it.

MarzB
I normally agree with your post Buford and some of what you said but I don't agree with your general synopsis.

First off, just because Floyd doesn't overcommit on his punches knock guys out with one punch doesn't mean he's not a good exciting boxer.

You're exactly right unfortunately it's what the networks DEEM as exciting. I guess they and the people who try to label Maywether as boring are forgetting about the "Hernandez, Manfredy, Burton/Augustus, Corrales, Ndou, Gatti and Hatton" fights. So Larry Merchant loves guys who are "HEAD" FIRST, defense maybe guys. Well he's not the one in the ring now is he.

Floyd's wrong about the race but he's definitely right to expose Hypocrisy Boxing Organization in their utterly biased calls. Who else is gonna do it? Everyone else tends to want to protect their press credentials and unfortunately feel a necessary evil in working with them(thank god for that Thomas Hauser article exposing them even more).

I thought him mentioning Manny was a bit of a "hater'esque" slight but it's true. Pacquiao has lost (Morales) and if it weren't for the knockdowns he would have lost to Marquez the first time.

Basically he suffers from the fact that he doesn't have that (IMO PHONY) nice guy persona and he doesn't kiss their asses.
buford54
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jul 5 2008, 01:37 PM) [snapback]394913[/snapback]
I normally agree with your post Buford and some of what you said but I don't agree with your general synopsis.

First off, just because Floyd doesn't overcommit on his punches knock guys out with one punch doesn't mean he's not a good exciting boxer.

You're exactly right unfortunately it's what the networks DEEM as exciting. I guess they and the people who try to label Maywether as boring are forgetting about the "Hernandez, Manfredy, Burton/Augustus, Corrales, Ndou, Gatti and Hatton" fights. So Larry Merchant loves guys who are "HEAD" FIRST, defense maybe guys. Well he's not the one in the ring now is he.

Floyd's wrong about the race but he's definitely right to expose Hypocrisy Boxing Organization in their utterly biased calls. Who else is gonna do it? Everyone else tends to want to protect their press credentials and unfortunately feel a necessary evil in working with them(thank god for that Thomas Hauser article exposing them even more).

I thought him mentioning Manny was a bit of a "hater'esque" slight but it's true. Pacquiao has lost (Morales) and if it weren't for the knockdowns he would have lost to Marquez the first time.

Basically he suffers from the fact that he doesn't have that (IMO PHONY) nice guy persona and he doesn't kiss their asses.

You make some good points.
I guess I should have clarified, in as far as his generation of excitement to the casual fan. He does that before the fight by hyping it, but most people that I know who saw his DLH fight, said they were bored to death. He tends to be only as exciting as the guy he is fighting.

He doesn't kiss HBO's ass, but he does demand that everything be his way, even when "his way" contradicts himself.
HBO does decide that head first is exciting...but that's because they buy what generates ratings. You don't hear people booing at Pavlik or Pacquiao's fights. Before Floyd started playing the bad guy to sell fights, he couldn't sell out a phone booth in Michigan. His style itself doesn't make for fights that attract casual fans.

I guess I just don't like that he defaulted to saying it's a race thing. He could have said that they don't appreciate his talent and skill and give him enough credit...because that's probably true. But they down play his skill because it leaves questions about whether or not he will lose his next fight and keeps people buying the future fights. He should appreciate that, because he pulls the same sales job to get people to buy his fights.
He yells about "punishing" and "knocking out" his opponents, but he usually goes out and patiently picks people apart over 12 rounds and wins on points. HBO tries to create doubt about his actual skill level and his level of opposition, because it convinces the people who are pissed that they just spent $60 to watch a boxing lesson instead of the brutal knockout they were expecting to buy the next fight in hopes that he will lose.
He does the exact same thing that HBO does, but he calls them racists. For him to do it, that's alright because it's "he's a business man."

He just rubs me the wrong way.

TheWhiteBuffalo
I will beat BGV2.0 to the punch.....

An African-American yelling racism? SHOCKER!!!!

Same ol' story.....just a different day.

He made millions and millions of dollars, and despite all of that, he still cries foul.

Too bad that cry-babies like Floyd use the race card and really make it tough on people who have genuine issues of discrimination. This has nothing to do with race...just his out of control ego.
Douchebag
And the with the previous post the stupidity has officially entered this thread.

Why can't we call it what it is and say that this is just PBF wanting some attention for himself?
TheWhiteBuffalo
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jul 5 2008, 04:50 PM) [snapback]394934[/snapback]
And the with the previous post the stupidity has officially entered this thread.
Why can't we call it what it is and say that this is just PBF wanting some attention for himself?

I will roll out the red carpet for ignorance.......glad you stopped by!

In case you need help reading, I will repeat my statement. His EGO is the problem. It will never be enough for Floyd.

Floyd and Oscar....... please tell me what it is that happens to guys like you? I must know.
D-MARV
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Jul 5 2008, 04:19 PM) [snapback]394932[/snapback]
An African-American yelling racism? SHOCKER!!!!

Please! Let's keep this about Floyd and his Ego and not bring in African Americans in general!!!!!!

Floyd is my man but him calling HBO racist is silly! They definitely have favorites but I wouldn't say its based on race!
Douchebag
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 5 2008, 05:40 PM) [snapback]394937[/snapback]
Please! Let's keep this about Floyd and his Ego and not bring in African Americans in general!!!!!!

Floyd is my man but him calling HBO racist is silly! They definitely have favorites but I wouldn't say its based on race!

Exactly!!!!!
kidbazooka1
Floyd is full of sh*t.

If he had half the heart that fighters like Pacqoiauo and Pavlik have he might get a little more respect but his safety first approach is what poeple don't wanna see.
caneman
My friend Marcy nailed it in my opinion by saying
Mayweather is a loudmouthed, arrogant, stunningly conceited fuckbag. Not liking him because of those things, is pretty normal. There's similar bags of shit of every racial heritage. He just happens to be high-profile. If he could understand that being an obvious douche makes people not particularly like you, I think he'd understand that race simply isn't in this equation.

But, that would mean admitting you act like a douche.

/////////////////////////////THREAD rolleyes.gif
eternalfighter
no one likes this fool bacause of his style, and aside from that he thinks hes something he's not. he mentions hispanic fighters who mostly put on exiting fights, as do fighters like pavlik and paquiao.theres also exiting black fighters. the thing is i think hes got an infiriority complex about himself thats why hes always glorifying himself, and trying to put other boxers down, especialy the ones he knows are better than him.
eternalfighter
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Jul 5 2008, 01:59 PM) [snapback]394935[/snapback]
I will roll out the red carpet for ignorance.......glad you stopped by!

In case you need help reading, I will repeat my statement. His EGO is the problem. It will never be enough for Floyd.

Floyd and Oscar....... please tell me what it is that happens to guys like you? I must know.

what does oscar have to do with this?
D-MARV
QUOTE(eternalfighter @ Jul 5 2008, 07:18 PM) [snapback]394951[/snapback]
no one likes this fool bacause of his style, and aside from that he thinks hes something he's not. he mentions hispanic fighters who mostly put on exiting fights, as do fighters like pavlik and paquiao.theres also exiting black fighters. the thing is i think hes got an infiriority complex about himself thats why hes always glorifying himself, and trying to put other boxers down, especialy the ones he knows are better than him.

Who's better than Floyd right now?
Bhopreign
I agree with alot on this thread, but one thing sticks out whenever you agree or disagree about something especially this, and that is neither of us are in his shoes, have worked with HBO, therefore being on the outside and basically giving opinions from watching boxing broadcasts is to judge with very limited information therefore making judging based on misinformation. In that case WE cant really answer this question as to whether who is right, wrong, racist or not racist. And even if someone shows non-racist qualities toward one person of opposite race doesnt mean they show the same qualities to another of opposite race, meaning if the party in question, being HBO, showed nonracist behavior towards one African American, doesnt exclude them from being "racist" if they didnt display the same behavior to the aforementiond Floyd Mayweather. So nobody knows if Floyd is wrong in his statements or not.
caneman
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 5 2008, 07:20 PM) [snapback]394953[/snapback]

Everyone, the scumbag is retired & I hope he stays that way!
eternalfighter
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 5 2008, 04:20 PM) [snapback]394953[/snapback]

many fighters, but its a matter of opinion...
JD
The WWE will survive without Floyd.
stateofthegame
Floyd is a great boxer and there may be some out there around his weight class that are better than him, or should we say that could beat him. The problem is that we will never know because Floyd never fought and will never fight those people.
Big Slim Sweet
Fuck Floyd Mayweather and the crack infested snatch that shat him out.
Byrd Man
In his first interview since announcing his retirement from the sport of boxing several weeks ago, Floyd Mayweather Jr. spoke with David Mayo of the Grand Rapids Press and blasted HBO and their announce team, calling the network and announcers a bunch of racists.

"Even a guy like Jim Lampley, he praises Kelly Pavlik -- who has won some good fights, he beat Jermain Taylor twice, we have to give him credit for that -- but they talk about Kelly Pavlik, a white fighter, like he's the second coming Or they go crazy over Manny Pacquiao. But I'm a black fighter," Mayweather said. "Is it racial? Absolutely. They praise white fighters, they praise Hispanic fighters, whatever. But black fighters, they never praise.

"I've noticed it for a long time but I couldn't say anything because I had to do business with them. I'll still do business with them, but I'm done holding my tongue. I think HBO is great. But their announcers are full of shit."

"Jim Lampley, Larry Merchant, Emanuel Steward, they're always talking about the negative things in my life. But I've seen Jim Lampley in the same strip club as me before. They always want to talk about me going to strip clubs, but they don't want to talk about that. He caught a court case himself, too. But when they catch a case, all they do is take them off the air a couple weeks, then it's over."

Mayweather says that unlike his first retirement after the May 2007 bout with Oscar De La Hoya, he has no plans to return to the sport in the future. He lost the desire long ago and blames the politics of the sport and the politics of HBO as the reasons for his withdrawal from boxing.

"I'm through," Mayweather said. "Once I tell people I'm through, I'm through. People say, 'Oh, he retired and came back, after the De La Hoya fight.' I didn't retire and come back. I just fought one more fight, against Ricky Hatton. And as soon as I beat him, it was, 'What about this guy?' and 'What about that guy?' It's never good enough. Some boxing people weren't going to be happy until I take a loss, and that's not ever going to happen. I achieved all I wanted to achieve.

"And if I did want to come back, I was going to make, what, $50 million (for the De La Hoya rematch)? You know what, don't call my phone unless you've got $100 million. I was truly, truly blessed to have good people around me and I was smart during my career. "I made great investments. By the end of this year, I should be a billionaire."
Warlord
Jim Lampley drank Roy Jones Jr's cum like it was water from the holy grail. Floyd fails.
caneman
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 5 2008, 10:55 PM) [snapback]394974[/snapback]
Only two of those fights are kinda recent (Gatti fight kind of pushing on). They can only judge him by recent performances. In recent times, he has been a stinker. Like when going by p4p rankings, you don't count wins from 5-10 years ago. People aren't going to put up with shitty fights for years now because he put on some good performances more than 5 years ago. I think that's the problem.

Well hell yea that's the part of the problem, he can be very boring...the rest is he is a straight ass hole thumbsdown_anim.gif
rusty_trombone
HBO only cares about one color, and that's green.
Mean Mister Mustard
I like how he bashes HBO, then at the end says not to call him unless it's a 100 million offer. But who's going to pay that 100 million? Showtime?

By the way, why is it racist if the announcers don't like him? Isn't this an insult to people who have experienced real discrimination?
The CEO
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jul 5 2008, 07:50 PM) [snapback]394964[/snapback]
Fuck Floyd Mayweather and the crack infested snatch that shat him out.

laugh.gif laugh.gif
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 5 2008, 04:40 PM) [snapback]394937[/snapback]

Great point. Floyd is one of the most talented boxers, but he suffers from being a Mayweather. What I mean is just take a look at his dad. WOW. No wonder Floyd Jr. has so many issues.

Its funny how Floyd is the only one who thinks he is allowed to have an opion on something. HBO gets tired of him acting like a baby and they are considered racists. Floyd speaks his opinion on HBO and he is standing up to the man. Not sure I get this one. Its funny how he throws the race card when it suits him.

HBO has the right to show any fight they want, its their network. If Floyd doesnt like it he could always fight on ESPN for a slave contract.
Tha Docta
im sure there are millions of black men that would love to receive the same racist descrimination that floyd has received.

is floyd a piece of shit or what? what a waste of good oxygen hes become.
Bhopreign
Floyd is smart has a great team every move is calculated. Watch HBO will pony up enough dollars that make sense and if Cotto gets past Margo, Floyd will fight Cotto. Besides Floyd is promoting a documentary, so its good for the sell by letting the comments come forth right now, for him at least.
dbdbdb
Some very interesting comments in previous posts.

If I might add a few to the list.

About Floyd:

I'm not nuthugging here, but there have been few {Hatton & Castillo comes to mind} that have been able to push this guy to the limit, where he has to dig deep to pull out a fight. It just doesn't happen often, so the his fights have been called boring, no drama, no excitement etc.... Have you ever watched a football game between a really great team and a subpar team ..... its boring, no drama, no excitement. And most of floyd's fights expose the fact that he is just on another level than his competition. So, those out there stating that this one or that one is better are basing their comments on emotional elements. Because to date, there have been none who have been able to outbox, or win against him. This is a fact. So his talent, skill and status is undenyable, boring or not.

The business of being PBF:

Floyd is in a position, few boxer's will ever be in, he can totally call his own shots. And like it or not, HBO and GBP will dance to the tune when ever he decides to play. PBF has cleverly positioned himself to get paid whenever & everytime he fights. So, all the latest noise might be just a ploy to get HBO to see things PBF's way. And it also, might be setting the stage for a HUGE payday against Cotto. The one thing fans lose sight of is that boxing is a multi-million dollar business, and its not how you play the game, its how much you're getting paid to play the game. And there are few if any fighter's who are making the money PBF is pulling down. So, he deserves some credit. Because he is playing the game his way, and getting paid like no other to do it.

The business of racism:

If there is one way to get people fired up, introduce racism into the conversation. Immediately the line in the sand is drawn and sides are chosen. Getting race in the forefront of negotiations with HBO, and having it play a role in future bouts, possibly with cotto is a smart move. Because PBF can claim racial influence in negotiations, pushing any purse to favor his pocket. B-hop tried to use it with Calslappy to boost sales, but he played it the wrong way and didn't see any benefit. So, its a common practice and sometimes not soo subtle, but its always there. Mexican, Puerto Rican, British, American, Black, White ..... on & on. Race has been used to win court cases, get jobs, get a phycological advantage and of course make money. And if played correctly, it works.

Bottom line, something is stimulating this kind of rap from floyd at this time. And most likely it is leading somewhere, where there is alot of money at stake. And he is trying to position himself to come out with the greatest percentage.

So don't get played like a piano, by speculating to no end, everytime PBF opens his mouth. He is about that paper, and everything he says and does is a means to an end ............ MORE MONEY.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Jul 7 2008, 09:40 PM) [snapback]395200[/snapback]
Some very interesting comments in previous posts.

If I might add a few to the list.

About Floyd:

I'm not nuthugging here, but there have been few {Hatton & Castillo comes to mind} that have been able to push this guy to the limit, where he has to dig deep to pull out a fight. It just doesn't happen often, so the his fights have been called boring, no drama, no excitement etc.... Have you ever watched a football game between a really great team and a subpar team ..... its boring, no drama, no excitement. And most of floyd's fights expose the fact that he is just on another level than his competition. So, those out there stating that this one or that one is better are basing their comments on emotional elements. Because to date, there have been none who have been able to outbox, or win against him. This is a fact. So his talent, skill and status is undenyable, boring or not.

The business of being PBF:

Floyd is in a position, few boxer's will ever be in, he can totally call his own shots. And like it or not, HBO and GBP will dance to the tune when ever he decides to play. PBF has cleverly positioned himself to get paid whenever & everytime he fights. So, all the latest noise might be just a ploy to get HBO to see things PBF's way. And it also, might be setting the stage for a HUGE payday against Cotto. The one thing fans lose sight of is that boxing is a multi-million dollar business, and its not how you play the game, its how much you're getting paid to play the game. And there are few if any fighter's who are making the money PBF is pulling down. So, he deserves some credit. Because he is playing the game his way, and getting paid like no other to do it.

The business of racism:

If there is one way to get people fired up, introduce racism into the conversation. Immediately the line in the sand is drawn and sides are chosen. Getting race in the forefront of negotiations with HBO, and having it play a role in future bouts, possibly with cotto is a smart move. Because PBF can claim racial influence in negotiations, pushing any purse to favor his pocket. B-hop tried to use it with Calslappy to boost sales, but he played it the wrong way and didn't see any benefit. So, its a common practice and sometimes not soo subtle, but its always there. Mexican, Puerto Rican, British, American, Black, White ..... on & on. Race has been used to win court cases, get jobs, get a phycological advantage and of course make money. And if played correctly, it works.

Bottom line, something is stimulating this kind of rap from floyd at this time. And most likely it is leading somewhere, where there is alot of money at stake. And he is trying to position himself to come out with the greatest percentage.

So don't get played like a piano, by speculating to no end, everytime PBF opens his mouth. He is about that paper, and everything he says and does is a means to an end ............ MORE MONEY.

Everytime Mayweather says something, some poster will try and remind us that this is all part of Mayweather's plan to create hype. I don't see how his stupid comments create excitement but then again, maybe that is all part of his grand plan right?

If we are to give credit to someone for Mayweather's rise to the mainstream it has to go to whoever is managing his press. I remember as far back as 2002 Mayweather was planning to become mainstream. His performances in the ring are not what have made his a crossover boxer, it is his PR people.
Spyder
PBF signed with IMG a few years ago.

They also do PR for guys like Labron James and Tiger Woods, so you can imagine why Floyd got such a huge boost compared to other fighters. For how immature he appears, he does know enough to surround himself with the right people.
Tha Docta
floyds profile received a big boost from delahoya and his PR people. but i would say that hes still not too well known to most sports fans. they might have heard his name before, but couldnt pick him out of a police lineup. a guy like floyd should be doing nike commercials and have his face all over the place, but the man is too much of an unlikeable asshole for companies to invest in.
Spyder
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jul 8 2008, 09:18 AM) [snapback]395247[/snapback]
floyds profile received a big boost from delahoya and his PR people. but i would say that hes still not too well known to most sports fans. they might have heard his name before, but couldnt pick him out of a police lineup. a guy like floyd should be doing nike commercials and have his face all over the place, but the man is too much of an unlikeable asshole for companies to invest in.

"Dancing with the Stars" and the WWE invested in him...

dntknw.gif
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Jul 7 2008, 09:40 PM) [snapback]395200[/snapback]

That's what makes it so weak and transparent that he would chose this path now when for the first time in his career, there appear to be several challengers in his weight class who just might be able to push him to that limit, to make him dig deep, to make him fight fights that aren't boring, but rather, filled with drama and excitement.

But see, Lil' Floyd doesn't want that. He doesn't want to be tested, cause if he's tested, what if he fails? The little insecure cunt has spent so much time doing it 'his way' and making enemies along the way that he's become obsessed with always getting the last laugh. That's his real master plan. Finding ways to always leave the 'haters' grumbling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.