Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contender Season 4: Cruiserweights - On Versus This Winter
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=3481725

Any thoughts?

I like some of the names they're talking about:

O'Neil Bell, Vadim Tokarev, B.J. Flores, Darnell "Ding-A-Ling Man" Wilson, Matt Godfrey, Johnathon Banks, Aaron Williams, Shawn Hawk, Emmanuel Nwodo, Ola Afolabi, Ehinomen Ehikhamenor and Mike Alexander

Sounds like a decent crop of actual contenders as opposed to some of the guys they've had in the past. If they use that same format that actually forces those guys to fight, it might make for some good KO's from the big boys.

AKay
I really liked the last season. The finale was a great fight too.
I like some of those names and the added exposure would be great.
Mora winning a title has added some credibility to them as well.
If they concentrated moreso on making some no name fighters get some publicity instead of being a promotional entity it could bode well for the show.
FenderDG3
If they are able to get those fighters on the final roster the show could be pretty interesting and definitely worth watching. I'd watch it either way, but that proposed roster would get me pretty excited for the 4th season.
rusty_trombone
ugh
BigG
Well one of the contenders is a former WBC/WBA/IBF CW champ..
Douchebag
The only way I could see this happening is if a major network picks up this season.
D-MARV
I doubt Nwodo comes within 10 feet of Wilson!!!!!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 11 2008, 08:50 AM) [snapback]395519[/snapback]
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=3481725

Any thoughts?

I like some of the names they're talking about:

O'Neil Bell, Vadim Tokarev, B.J. Flores, Darnell "Ding-A-Ling Man" Wilson, Matt Godfrey, Johnathon Banks, Aaron Williams, Shawn Hawk, Emmanuel Nwodo, Ola Afolabi, Ehinomen Ehikhamenor and Mike Alexander

Sounds like a decent crop of actual contenders as opposed to some of the guys they've had in the past. If they use that same format that actually forces those guys to fight, it might make for some good KO's from the big boys.

I know this post is real old but I wanted to bring it back..I really hope they bring Jean-Marc Mormeck on the show..I'd die to see another O'Neil Bell/Mormeck fight..

I love the cruiserweights,it's just too bad they don't get the exposure they should..I'm not sayin this because this is my weight class either,cruiserweights possess everything you could want in a fighter..Power,size(not necessary but a lot of casual fans like size),speed,and good ability to move around..The cruiserweights are the heavyweights of the old days I think..

Darnell Wilson and B.J. Flores will be fun to watch on the show too..Hopefully Wilson can pick up his boxing skills to setup his left hook and not just go for it..I've been watching Wilson for a long time now..His ballroom boxing days were great!!

In my opinion,the smartest thing for boxing and the show would be to bring all the best cruiserweights on the show,champ or not..This would bring the cruiserweight division to the mainstream which is where it should be..There have been soo many GREAT cruiserweight fights in the last few years..
Snoop
If they dont fix the problems theyve continaully had on the show (most notably not showing the entire fight in the episode), then the lineup won't make any change for me. My biggest peeve of the show was that it was so focused on drama rather than actual boxing. It just got real old real fast. They need to follow more of TUF series, which I believe has been much more successful. Plus GLeon needs to stop fucking spoiling the season finales.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Aug 25 2008, 11:06 PM) [snapback]401948[/snapback]
If they dont fix the problems theyve continaully had on the show (most notably not showing the entire fight in the episode), then the lineup won't make any change for me. My biggest peeve of the show was that it was so focused on drama rather than actual boxing. It just got real old real fast. They need to follow more of TUF series, which I believe has been much more successful. Plus GLeon needs to stop fucking spoiling the season finales.

I completely agree with what ya said..The contender needs to show the actual fight so the fans can choose who won and not basically have it given to them..There have been some bad decisions on the show too..I like how they talk about the boxers and their family life or life outside of boxing but the actual fights ARE the most important part of the show which need to be given more time..They should maybe extend the time length of the show if they can't show the whole fight with the time they got..
Mean Mister Mustard
If they could get most of the top cruiserweight contenders then this would be the BEST Contender season yet. Think about it, with Haye gone the road to the championship is wide open to take. You get Mormeck, Bell, Adamek, Cunningham in there you will get one explosive package. Like JohnnyBlaze said, the Cruisers are Heavyweights with skills, in other words they are what Heavyweights once were.

Cruiserweight is one of my favourite divisions and severly underrated. Now a Heavyweight contender would suck. Could you imagine seeing Barret-Rahman 2?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 26 2008, 12:52 PM) [snapback]402011[/snapback]
You get Mormeck, Bell, Adamek, Cunningham in there you will get one explosive package. Like JohnnyBlaze said, the Cruisers are Heavyweights with skills, in other words they are what Heavyweights once were.

Cruiserweight is one of my favourite divisions and severly underrated.

Exactly..Adamek and Cunningham would be 2 perfect additions to that roster..Glad ya see things the same way I do..Cruiserweights need to get back on the map again..The last time they were was when James Toney was fighting Jirov..It just sucks all the great cruiserweights never stay there to shine more light on the division..I'm glad Holyfield went to heavyweight but if he would of stayed at cruiserweight,he would retire undefeated..Also,promoters need to start putting more money in the division too to make it more of a attraction for fighters and fans..
Spyder
It's not the promoters keeping money from the division, it's the fans. People don't want to pay for fighters they don't know.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Spyder @ Aug 26 2008, 09:09 PM) [snapback]402046[/snapback]
It's not the promoters keeping money from the division, it's the fans. People don't want to pay for fighters they don't know.

Well it is kinda both..The promoters kinda speak for the fans by how much money they are willing to bid for the fight..It sucks that people aren't as interested in the cruiserweight division..I would of thought the Mormeck/Bell and Mormeck/Braithwaite fights would have brought in lots of fans..Haye should have stayed at cruiserweight for a rematch with Mormeck I think..Also,Steve Cunningham fights are real exciting fights too..Now with Adamek in the division,there are lots of great fights to be made..Adamek really won me over after watching him fight live 2 times in Chicago against Briggs at light heavy..BJ Flores has also given quite a few great fights to watch recently..I really like the way he decided to fight Darnell Wilson especially right after Wilson's KO of Nwodo..I see great things happening in the cruiserweight division in these next few years,I just hope the casual fans take time to watch one of the fights to see how ya get everything you want in the cruiserweight division..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.