Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik vs Paul Williams Sept 27
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
imperial
I just read that this fight might actually take place in Atlantic city ..Is this a joke or what ??WTF does Pavlik gain by fighting a wleter weight ??

Thoughts ???
Douchebag
Bad move for team Williams if this is the case.
D-MARV
QUOTE(imperial @ Jul 12 2008, 12:34 AM) [snapback]395596[/snapback]
WTF does Pavlik gain by fighting a wleter weight ??

Money!
imperial
So sad that the only guy they could find for Kelly Pavlik is a welter !
eternalfighter
is arum protecting pavlik or what! abraham was the obviouse choice, competition wise. kessler wanted to fight him and they keep blocking him with mandatory challengers. after pavlik obliterates williams they should have him fight abraham, or the winner of bute/andrade.
U.S. Champ
QUOTE(eternalfighter @ Jul 12 2008, 02:11 PM) [snapback]395627[/snapback]
is arum protecting pavlik or what! abraham was the obviouse choice, competition wise. kessler wanted to fight him and they keep blocking him with mandatory challengers. after pavlik obliterates williams they should have him fight abraham, or the winner of bute/andrade.

I really do like Abraham but unlike others I think he has no chance versus Kelly his shots are all too wide, which a patient Kelly would breakdown with that great jab and straight right. Williams seriously needs to let his body develop into a middleweight to have any success. So the only fights for Kelly IMO are Andrade because of his solid whiskers, Kessler because of similar styles or Maybe Winky
thehype
As odd it sounds, Pavlik-Williams is probably a bigger fight than Pavlik-Abraham.

I know...I know...it sounds CRAZY, but it's true.

I think it's a HORRIBLE move for Williams, but hey, if he thinks he can do it, more power to him.

I wouldn't say Arum is "protecting" Pavlik...no more than I'd say he's "protecting" Pacquiao. Arum is just trying to do what he's always done...build superstars (something that's sorely lacking in boxing). Say what you will, but Arum did a fantastic job of creating superstars like De La Hoya and Mayweather. I know...I know...a lot of it is talent, but a lot of it is fighting the right fights at the right time as well. He's also done a great job with the careers of Cotto and Pacquiao as well. And now, he's basically trying to do the same thing with Pavlik...put him in the right fights that will make him look exciting. A fight with Williams will do just that.

What's sad is the current state of boxing...the fact that the undisputed middleweight champion of the world has to fight a welterweight in order to make an exciting fight...or the fact that Oscar De La Hoya has so few names to pick from in order to have the mega-fight he'd like to go out with...or the fact that the #1 heavyweight in the world is fighting in just a few hours and most people could care less or don't even know it. That's just sad.
JD
QUOTE(eternalfighter @ Jul 12 2008, 03:11 PM) [snapback]395627[/snapback]

Abraham is not available, he has a mandatory due against Marquez.
imperial
Mundine ,Winky and Allan Green were all avalaible ..This is a joke !
eternalfighter
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 12 2008, 12:26 PM) [snapback]395631[/snapback]
Abraham is not available, he has a mandatory due against Marquez.

your right i forgot, but there was better opposition than a fighter coming up 2 divisions, and i think questionable even at 147.
eternalfighter
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Jul 12 2008, 12:20 PM) [snapback]395629[/snapback]
I really do like Abraham but unlike others I think he has no chance versus Kelly his shots are all too wide, which a patient Kelly would breakdown with that great jab and straight right. Williams seriously needs to let his body develop into a middleweight to have any success. So the only fights for Kelly IMO are Andrade because of his solid whiskers, Kessler because of similar styles or Maybe Winky

i know what you mean but il never under estimate abraham. i think pavlik/andrade would be a realy good fight both solid chins both power punchers.
kidbazooka1
Pavlik by brutal KO within 5.
Hodge
I got to say that i'm happy about this. This is bringing drama to the sport. Historically when a smaller man challenges for a bigger man's title, I see sparks. Holmes/ Spinks, Hagler/Hearns, Hagler /Leonard. This could be as disasterous as Hagler/ Hearns or it could be the something or a remarkable feat as in Leonard/ Hagler. Either way, this is something that I see us boxing fans are going to be talking about for awhile.
JD
QUOTE(eternalfighter @ Jul 12 2008, 04:44 PM) [snapback]395642[/snapback]
your right i forgot, but there was better opposition than a fighter coming up 2 divisions, and i think questionable even at 147.

I don't think Green was willing to go to 160, Mora is stuck fighting Forrest again at this point and Winky wants to get paid like he is the attraction...I guess Sturm would have been a good choice.
slap
I think this is a real bad move 4 williams but he just wants the money so then agian i cant blame him and on top of that he really thinks he can win. The other thing is i dont think arum wants 2 put pavlik in a sticky situation cause im pretty sure he could have got winky 2 fight pavlik or anybody 4 that matter why does williams have 2 come up from ww when fighters like kessler wants 2 fight pavlik hell i would rather see him fight cory spinks. I like willams but pavlik is going 2 kill him pavlik by brutal ko7
thehype
QUOTE(imperial @ Jul 12 2008, 04:40 PM) [snapback]395641[/snapback]

I thought Mundine already has a fight scheduled. Can he make 160? Plus...who's Mundine? Paul Williams might be a bigger name than Mundine is...at least here in the States anyway.

Winky was offered a fight...he just wants to get paid like $4 million and I'm sorry, but 1) Pavlik-Wright isn't a fight that's worth that much to pay both of those guys that kind of money and 2) Winky's not worth that kind of money to begin with.

And Allan Green? Pffffft. Perhaps Allan Green should focus on getting a rematch with Edison Miranda first.

Personally, I think Pavlik-Williams will probably provide more fireworks than all of those fights you just mentioned....maybe not for long, but at least while it lasts.

LOL
The Original MrFactor
Funny how a year so ago, I said this fight should be made. Folks on here thought I was crazy... Well here we are, looks like its gonna happen. I think its an interesting fight. We know both guys throw punches in bunches. Williams has and edge in speed for the most part. Pav has an edge in power. Both have lousy defense. I expect an action packed fight. Pav will be favored because of his devastating KO potential. I can see Williams/Margarito all over again where Williams speed and activity doesnt let Kelly get off. There's definately room for a Williams D12 here...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jul 12 2008, 11:42 PM) [snapback]395684[/snapback]
Funny how a year so ago, I said this fight should be made. Folks on here thought I was crazy... Well here we are, looks like its gonna happen. I think its an interesting fight. We know both guys throw punches in bunches. Williams has and edge in speed for the most part. Pav has an edge in power. Both have lousy defense. I expect an action packed fight. Pav will be favored because of his devastating KO potential. I can see Williams/Margarito all over again where Williams speed and activity doesnt let Kelly get off. There's definately room for a Williams D12 here...

Well it's still a crazy fight to make. If Williams bulks up to get to 160 you can bet he's not going back down to 147.
hardhead
I gotta be honest, I just don't see Williams being able to hold up to the power and that relentless attack of Pavlik. Once that boy taps that chin or digs in some of those vicious hooks to the body that shit is goodnight Irene for Williams and I really like Williams too.

I'm in line with Kidbazooka, this will probably be KO under 6 maybe 7 at the most. If Williams does win I agree it will be decision because I don't see him knocking Pavlik out, but I just don't see it. Even though Williams showed great heart and a good chin against Margarito(and Quintana) in some of those later rounds he was in trouble and the difference IMO is Pavlik hits A LOT harder than Margarito and probably Quintanna put together. If Williams was more slick(say like a Winky) defensively I'd be more inclined to pick Williams but to me his defense is suspect.
The Ring Dictator
I like both of these fighters very much so for me this is not good news at all. For williams it's a terrible move. He should stay at welterweight for the forseeable future. Then, when he's made a big impact on the division, only then should he take fights like this one. Not before. I just don't see him cope with Pavliks power. To withstand the pressure of Margarito is one thing, Pavlik is an entirely different ballgame.

Much to my unpleasent suprise I am starting to enjoy MMA (UFC) more than boxing. I really don't want to, but what can I say, every weight class is packed with exciting fighters. It's just impossible not to enjoy the amazingly well-rounded skills of for example Anderson Sila, GSP and The Prodigy. (These three guys have taken the full contact sport to the next level.) And they don't lack good competition either (even though Anderson Silvas moving up), far from it. Plus; less politics and fighters being afraid of messing up their records, the best face the best. Also, I really appriciate (for the most part anyways) the sportsmanship side of it: before a fight "I'll rip your f*ckin' head off", afterwards "Let's have a beer". That's the way it should be.
Boxingjunkie
I think this is a great fight. Whats more exciting than to see a guy jump a couple of weight classes to challenge the best. This is just the kind of fight that boxing needs. Williams has the frame to carry that kind of weight. Why not make the jump. If he loses so what he goes back to welter. If he wins look at what it could do for his career and boxing. This will be an exciting fight as long as it lasts.
Thegreatequalizer
this fight is ridiculous. paul williams would get his ass handed to him. he has pretty much no shot. there are finally some viable contenders at middleweight, why fight a welter? especially one who doesn't generate a lot of money. may as well fight de la hoya.
imperial
Paul Williams will get ruined in the same manner Fernando Vargas did against Tito !!

This is pathetic !Pathetic !!You can't tell me that they couldn't find someone at either at middle or jr middle but welter what a joke !

Bold move for Paul bad movefor Kelly !
salvador
Unless Williams (who weighed in at 145.5 in his last fight w/Quintana) absolutely can't make weight anymore, there's no way this fight happens. There's just too much easy money at ww.

D-MARV
You guys aren't giving Paul Williams enough credit! His style could pose big problems for Kelly Pavlik!!!!!!!!

I see Pavlik eventually Knocking Williams out but Paul would be competative. Oh Yeah, I can see this being FOTY!!!!!
ncruz69
I think its an interseting fight with both fighters having intersitng challenges.
JD
I think P-Will is going to get P-Worked.
D-MARV
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 14 2008, 08:17 AM) [snapback]395758[/snapback]
I think P-Will is going to get P-Worked.

I know we have had this discussion before but I can't help but too give my man Paul a chance!!!

I know I Know... Im being hardheaded! rolleyes.gif
Big Slim Sweet
I don't see this as nearly the mismatch a lot of other people seem to. Paul Williams is freakin' HUGE for a welterweight. He dwarfed Margarito, who's pretty damn big himself. Paul should have no problems fighting at 160, though challenging Pavlik is certainly a risky way to find out.

In the end it could very well be too much too soon, but if it does come off I'll be excited to see it.
Spyder
Whoever is hating on this fight is f'in crazy!

This has Hagler-Hearns written all over it...with the reigning middleweight champ winning again of course!

thumbsup_anim.gif
that round headed kid
QUOTE(imperial @ Jul 11 2008, 09:34 PM) [snapback]395596[/snapback]
I just read that this fight might actually take place in Atlantic city ..Is this a joke or what ??WTF does Pavlik gain by fighting a wleter weight ??

Thoughts ???

I wish Pavlik would fight King Arthur or Winky or Sturm or Allan Green. Or that Calzghe would fight Pavlik instead of the no-longer-great RJJ. Imo, PW is a bad match up for Kelly. If he wins, he beats a 'blown up welter'. If he loses, he's 'exposed'. Either way his detractors (along with anybody else looking for an excuse) get to climb all over him. Is this really the best option? dntknw.gif

Gotta give some credit to PW for his stones, but I think he's gonna take a brutal beating on the way to a KO loss. Hopefully (for his sake) it's a short one. I give PW a chance to box his way to a decision win, but only a small one.

Mean Mister Mustard
For a while now I always wanted to see Abraham fight the real middleweight champ. Now that that champ is Pavlik and that Abraham has captured the attention of American audiences the demand is even greater. It is a shame that Pavlik is fighting a welterweight, however big he may be, but at least we know that as long as Pavlik keeps winning and so does Abraham they will fight one day.
Big Slim Sweet
Everything I've read points to Pavlik and Abraham fighting early 2009. The only reason it's not happening this fall is because Abraham has to fight his mandatory against Marquez first.
hardhead
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jul 14 2008, 09:07 PM) [snapback]395780[/snapback]
Everything I've read points to Pavlik and Abraham fighting early 2009. The only reason it's not happening this fall is because Abraham has to fight his mandatory against Marquez first.

Agreed, that fight will get made as it seems both sides are very interested in making it and the fans want it.
BigG
Mad props to Pwill for daring to be great but Pavliks gonna knock his head off...7th round KO
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 13 2008, 01:17 AM) [snapback]395693[/snapback]
Well it's still a crazy fight to make. If Williams bulks up to get to 160 you can bet he's not going back down to 147.

His first couple of fights of his career was at middleweight remember. And if he wins I dont think he is going back down but if he lose he'll definitly go back down. Besides he doesnt have a problem making weight. His last two fights he weighed in at 145.
King Eugene
WOW what a matchup. I understand everybodies views for and against this fight.

1. I think Williams tooks this fight for the money and respect cause he probably feels the only way he'll get the respect from his biggest critics is take out the man at the top of the mountain (Pavlick)

2. Pavlick took this fight for the money as well, not because he wants an easy fight. Lets be honest we all know it aint going to be another Locket fight. Hell as much as I would have loved to see him fight either Winky or Abraham it just didnt work out how I hoped. I mean get the money while its there! Hell all of you guys would.

3. If Williams lose he can always go back to WW and get good fights. He has no problem making weight. Hell he started his career off as a middleweight and his last two fights he weighed in at 145. And if he wins he shuts up all the critics and sets hisself up for more paydays.

I dont know if Pavlick will knock him out (which is highly possible) but I do think it will be a better fight than most are saying it would be. Hopefully he'll fight Abraham or Winky one day. Hell I just hope all the belts are unified! But I'm a have to go with the underdog on this one. Paul Williams by an upset victory weather its by KO or decision. I dont give a damn I just hope he wins.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(imperial @ Jul 12 2008, 08:40 PM) [snapback]395641[/snapback]

Who? They are all bums with nothing to offer Pavlik. Mundine would bring the most brass but less than Williams IMO.
Spyder
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jul 15 2008, 03:46 AM) [snapback]395834[/snapback]
Who? They are all bums with nothing to offer Pavlik. Mundine would bring the most brass but less than Williams IMO.

Winky is a bum?
D-MARV
QUOTE(Spyder @ Jul 15 2008, 08:26 AM) [snapback]395845[/snapback]
Winky is a bum?

Winky won't be an easy fight for Pavlik!
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 15 2008, 08:43 AM) [snapback]395846[/snapback]
Winky won't be an easy fight for Pavlik!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Winky beat Kelly. I'd be surprised if that fight happened, since Winky has like 3 fans.
King Eugene
Winky is far from a bum and I'd root for him to beat Pavlick!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jul 15 2008, 07:28 PM) [snapback]395887[/snapback]
Winky is far from a bum and I'd root for him to beat Pavlick!

In his prime he'd have more of a shot, but after months of inactivity and Pavlik being at his peak I can't see it happening.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 15 2008, 08:44 PM) [snapback]395892[/snapback]
In his prime he'd have more of a shot, but after months of inactivity and Pavlik being at his peak I can't see it happening.

Winky does like his donuts
JD
Right now, I actually think Pavlik might be the first guy to stop Winky.
that round headed kid
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jul 15 2008, 02:26 PM) [snapback]395877[/snapback]
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Winky beat Kelly. I'd be surprised if that fight happened, since Winky has like 3 fans.

How is old Winky gonna gonna put together even an SD? I like Winky and watch him on TV whenever I can. Have a few of his fights in my collection. But at this stage of the game, I don't see how he'll be able to keep KP off of him. However, as one the the aforementioned 3, I'd like to see Winky land a good money cash-out fight. I'd buy it if it were ppv.
BigG
I believe a good boxer with great movement can dominate Kelly ala Hopkins/Tito...Chad Dawson anyone
hardhead
Winky is a very tough fight for anyone at 154-168, and he certainly could outbox Pavlik to a decision but judging off the way Wright looked in the Hopkins fight he looked sluggish, old and kind of overweight. Could the years be catching up to him? I think so. I also think all the inactivity is not helping him either.
King Eugene
I agree with Fitz (which doesnt happen to often LOL) but I dont think Pavlick would stop Winky though. Yea he has been inactive for a while but I dont think it would be that much of a problem. Hell it aint like the only time he trains is when he has a big fight coming up. And Pavlick is NOT A GREAT BOXER!!! As soon as he lose his bandwagon will get really thin. Thats not saying he sucks cause he is far from that but I agree that he is a B level fighter, Taylor would have beat him the second time around if he would have kept his work rate up at times but he didnt so he lost! I garun-dang-tee he wouldnt beat a 43 year old Hopkins, and if I was a betting man I'd put my money on Wright, I'd give Abraham a good shot, and I hope Paul Williams whoops his anus and turn the boxing world up side down for The Great White Hope and all his bandwagon fans!
BigG
I think Chad Dawson, Hopkins and maybe Joe Calzaghe would be two guys that beat Pavlik 160-175..maybe Tarver and Glen Johnson too...everyone else losses IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.