Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chavez jr vs Matt Vanda tomorrow
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kidbazooka1
Chavez Jr is set to face Matt Vanda tomorrow night on free TV(TV Azteca for those who are interested).

Also on the undercard is Jr. flyweight champ Ulises Solis defedning his title agianst Nonito's older brother Glenn Donaire should be an intresting fight considering Glenn is the bigger guy going down in weight.

I spoke to Nonito earlier this weekend and he's very confident that his brother will bring the title to Bay area. Solis has beaten two filipino's in his last two outings both by knockout.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Hell yea, I hope Vanda pulls the upset. He's coming down to his natural weight class, and isn't fighting somebody bigger than him. He's been competitive with middleweights in the last year, and even put Andy Kolle on his ass with a left hook. His hand is 100 % healthy going into this fight, and I expect him to give Chavez everything he can handle. Vanda trains at the gym I used to go to, so he's got good trainers. Hopefully he brings it home for Minnesota, we could use a good victory on the road. Go Vanda!
kidbazooka1
Vanda is no slouch he's only been stopped once and is a natural middleweight. I think he'll give Chavez the toughest fight of his career.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
He's not a natural middleweight. He's a natural Jr. Middleweight. He's fought most of his career at 154, and only moved up for fights with Kenny Kost, Andy Kolle, and Bonsante. He moved up to make huge fights for MN, and he never ducks anybody. I used to not like him, but I respect him and like him now. He takes on all comers, and he can beat Chavez tonight. Chavez was getting beat by Celaya and Sanchez before he turned things around. Vanda won't go anywhere though. He likes to throw a lot of punches and mix it up. Chavez is going to have trouble with that pressure tonight. This will be a good fight. Im hyped for it.
hardhead
I agree that this is a good fight/test for Chavez Jr, wayyyy better than the talks of fighting Camacho Jr, if that was even serious I don't know.

Mean Mister Mustard
So anyone watching it going to do a RBR?
Mean Mister Mustard
Now I realize why Arum kept putting Jr. on PPV. He didn't want anyone to see how mediocre he is.

Chavez Jr showed heart, he has technique, average power and a beautiful left hook to the body. But he has shit stamina. I mean even as early as the 3rd round the commentators were noticing that Chavez's left had would be getting lower as the round went by. I don't know why this would be, it's not like the throws the left with all his energy. And it's not like he threw 100 punch a round in the fight. Mabe the kid doesn't do any sparring and thus his arms get tired too early. Either way by the 6th he was gassed and by the 8th he didn't even have the strenght to put his arms up and cover his face.

Hell, even the fans booed Chavez as the decision was announced.

Some funny stuff from the commentators: After each round or commercial break one of the commentators would keep welcoming the audience and remind them that this was FREE and not on PPV. Also, they were discussing who the top players were at 154 and one of them commented how DLH was still the top dog because he "had gotten robbed against Mayweather". I stopped listening to them after that.
thefloatingmonkey
JR and his people are getting stuff thrown at them. No way did JR get all the rounds. What a joke! If Vanda didn't get a knock out, he wasn't walking away with a win.

Is Chavez allowed to come up from the audience and become Jr's cornerman mid-fight?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(thefloatingmonkey @ Jul 13 2008, 12:11 AM) [snapback]395689[/snapback]
JR and his people are getting stuff thrown at them. No way did JR get all the rounds. What a joke! If Vanda didn't get a knock out, he wasn't walking away with a win.
Is Chavez allowed to come up from the audience and become Jr's cornerman mid-fight?

Yeah what the hell was that? He started out in his seat, then walking around ringside and finally wound up in the corner giving his son water and instructions. Next time I go to a live fight I'll try to become a cornerman.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
That was ridiculous. Fuck that judge that had the fight 100-90, chavez was out on his feet in that last round and if it goes 12 he wouldn't last against Vanda tonight. Vanda landed at will in the last four rounds of the fight, and I thought he won those rounds. Chavez was dead and couldn't even keep his hands up. All he could do was slap at Vanda, and Vanda blocked most that shit in the late rounds. He landed harder shots, and took those rounds. I also thought Vanda won the first round with that nice right hand he landed. Granted, Vanda didn't do shit in rounds 2-6 and it costed him a victory. Chavez was too much for Vanda in those rounds, but that still doesn't mean it was a shutout. I had the fight a draw 95-95. Excellent fight though by the way.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jul 13 2008, 12:15 AM) [snapback]395691[/snapback]
That was ridiculous. Fuck that judge that had the fight 100-90, chavez was out on his feet in that last round and if it goes 12 he wouldn't last against Vanda tonight. Vanda landed at will in the last four rounds of the fight, and I thought he won those rounds. Chavez was dead and couldn't even keep his hands up. All he could do was slap at Vanda, and Vanda blocked most that shit in the late rounds. He landed harder shots, and took those rounds. I also thought Vanda won the first round with that nice right hand he landed. Granted, Vanda didn't do shit in rounds 2-6 and it costed him a victory. Chavez was too much for Vanda in those rounds, but that still doesn't mean it was a shutout. I had the fight a draw 95-95. Excellent fight though by the way.

It was a better fight than anticipated.

Chavez Jr needs to get in shape and if he can't do that he should leave boxing alone. He won't make it if his arms can go 10 let alone 12.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Id love to see a rematch with Vanda on a neurtral site, but that shit will never happen. Vanda would of stopped him in the 11th, and Im pretty sure about that. Oh well, at least the predator got his career back on track at this natural weight. He's still got a lot left in the tank.
BigG
What a fight. Best of the night....I thought Chavez won 6-4. He won the first 6 rounds IMO. Vandas stock went up after this for sure.

That Solis-Donaire fight was good too.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Ya know what Big G, I can't disagree with that scorecard. That first round was extremely close and could of gone either way. It would of been nice for MN to have a road win, but Vanda performed really well. It was a close fight, but 100-90 still bugs me.
kidbazooka1
Good fight tonight but now that jr is stepping up in opposition he needs to step it up in trainng aswell. Chavez Jr conditiong was horrible tonight he was handling Vanda with ease in the eraly rds but once he started getting tired he started walking into punches that he should never have been hit with. Jr has the skill to do big things in this sport but without conditioning eveything goes out the window.

Solis boxed beautifuly tonight Glenn was the bigger guy going down in weight so he felt he had the strengh advantage but Solis came with a good plan and outboxed Glenn for most of the fight.

Bring on Solis vs Calderon I think Solis has what it takes to beat him.
The Ring Dictator
I didn't understand the crowds reaction either. In my opinion it was probably one of Chavez jr.s best performances to date. With that being said, I don't think he's a very good fighter, and unlike kidbazooka1 I can't see him doing big things in the sport.
thefloatingmonkey
QUOTE(The Ring Dictator @ Jul 13 2008, 06:14 AM) [snapback]395703[/snapback]
I didn't understand the crowds reaction either. In my opinion it was probably one of Chavez jr.s best performances to date. With that being said, I don't think he's a very good fighter, and unlike kidbazooka1 I can't see him doing big things in the sport.

I agree. I don't think JR is that great of a fighter. I was just thinking if he stepped in the ring with someone good, he would have been on the floor for sure.

He had to reach deep in daddy's pocket to win that one last night.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
He was in the ring with someone good, and if that fight is going 12 he ends up on his ass and stopped. In those four rounds, Vanda looked like he did in 2005 against Campas and showed more tenacity than he has in 4 years. If he wants to keep going after minnesota middleweights, I know Bonsante and Andy Kolle would be ready to kick his ass. I know, Im a bitter Minnesota boxing fan. I just hope Chavez doesn't get a fight against De La Hoya.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(The Ring Dictator @ Jul 13 2008, 09:14 AM) [snapback]395703[/snapback]

I think they were upset because of the scoring. Thye were cheering Chavez right before the decision was annouced.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jul 13 2008, 02:21 AM) [snapback]395700[/snapback]
Good fight tonight but now that jr is stepping up in opposition he needs to step it up in trainng aswell. Chavez Jr conditiong was horrible tonight he was handling Vanda with ease in the eraly rds but once he started getting tired he started walking into punches that he should never have been hit with. Jr has the skill to do big things in this sport but without conditioning eveything goes out the window.

Solis boxed beautifuly tonight Glenn was the bigger guy going down in weight so he felt he had the strengh advantage but Solis came with a good plan and outboxed Glenn for most of the fight.

Bring on Solis vs Calderon I think Solis has what it takes to beat him.

Vnada was getting punished those first few rounds and I thought, like many, that a stoppage was on its way. Then the kid got tired and let Vanda right back into the fight. Jr. has the technique, poise and weapons to at least be a contender but does the guy spar or anything? Because it looks like his arms get weary after the 4th. I bet JCC sr can still go 12 easy, maybe he should teach his son.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jul 13 2008, 02:41 PM) [snapback]395727[/snapback]
I think they were upset because of the scoring. Thye were cheering Chavez right before the decision was announced.

I didn't see it but that is what I heard. It should have been somewhere between a draw to a point win for Vanda. 100-90 Chavez seems to be the most corrupt ever. A smart corrupt judge would at least try not to get caught by giving Vanda SOME rounds. 100-90 was like "Fuck you Vanda, you're not getting shit from me with my boy in there." Oh, and I heard that the announcing team messed up the scoring of the one card in Solis-Donaire at 120-118. According to Box Rec, the cards were 120-108 (twice) and 120-107 for Solis. Everyone thought that that this decision's margin was sickening, even though you could make a case for Solis winning they said, but not by that much.

Jack
kidbazooka1
Chavez started out looking awesome but once he got tired he let Vanda back in the fight.

People in Mexico will not be cutting Jr any slack they expect him to go out there and blast everyone out but he's ont his old man. Like I said I think Jr has the ptoential to do fairly well for himself he goes real good to body, good power and has shown a decent chin so far but his problem is coditioing without he wonlt do sh*t in this sport.
BigG
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jul 13 2008, 10:57 PM) [snapback]395736[/snapback]
Chavez started out looking awesome but once he got tired he let Vanda back in the fight.

People in Mexico will not be cutting Jr any slack they expect him to go out there and blast everyone out but he's ont his old man. Like I said I think Jr has the ptoential to do fairly well for himself he goes real good to body, good power and has shown a decent chin so far but his problem is coditioing without he wonlt do sh*t in this sport.

I was really impressed with Chavez Jr the first 5 or 6 rounds and I thought he was on his way to a stoppage win. His conditioning failed him and he was getting tagged like crazy in the late rounds. Chavez Jr has potential but obviously still needs work to do (defense/conditioning).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.