Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Klitschko vs. Thompson: Round by Round/Postfight (SPOILERS)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
For all comments about today's World Heavyweight Championship fight. Showing at 3:30 PM CST on HBO from Germany. Share your comments and post fight reactions.

Jack

Administrator
D-MARV
getting ready for the UPSET OF THE YEAR!!!!!

Thompson TKO8
Icebeast
pretty even first round

round 2 for Klitschko with good right hands... both fighters have cuts on one eye... maybe a headbut
D-MARV
I have it even through 4, Tony doing some good body work. Could pay benefits later in the fight!
Icebeast
round 3+4 pretty even...

Klitschko has problems with Thompsons style, a lot of clinching... not a good fight so far
FenderDG3
I like that description they gave Thompson's style... "effectively clumsy"!!! biggrin.gif
Icebeast
same in round 5+6

I can see this fight going to the scorecards...
D-MARV
Tony is showing a pretty good chin but he is just too damn clumsy.

PICK IT UP TONY!!!!
FenderDG3
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 12 2008, 04:39 PM) [snapback]395649[/snapback]
Tony is showing a pretty good chin but he is just too damn clumsy.

PICK IT UP TONY!!!!

I agree... I think his chin is holding up pretty well.
Don Flamenco
thompson should use his right to punch a hole through Klitchko's ribs when he uses that feeling out jab. A quick counter right hook right under would duit.
Icebeast
finally 2 rounds for Klitschko (7+8)
Don Flamenco
So Lederman is saying that Thompson isn't a puncher. If he isn't a puncher, well what is he then? He certainly isn't pernell whitaker in there either
Icebeast
Thompson seems tired, Klitschko is going out for the kill

Thompson is down... it's over !

TKO round 11
Don Flamenco
sad, sad state of the heavyweight division.
D-MARV
F*Ck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good right hand, Tony went to sleep!

The heavyweight division officially sucks! Tony was basically a fighter off the street. He's not an athlete, he started at age 28 and it took Wlad 11 rounds to put him away.

I tell yall what! Im 23, Im' 6'5 270 and i played college football. Im going to start training now, get down to 245 and I will challenge Wlad for the title. What do yall think? LOL...
Maxy
Another good reason to slag off the state of heavyweight boxing.
thehype
They should just get rid of the division completely.

Heavyweight boxing SUCKS!
The Original MrFactor
Was Thompson up on the scorecards at the end?
Jack 1000
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 12 2008, 08:58 PM) [snapback]395672[/snapback]
They should just get rid of the division completely.

Heavyweight boxing SUCKS!

Amen!!!

God what a pile of crap! I only gave Thompson the 5th round actually. Both landed so few shots, but Wlad's were at least harder. Problem was, you could catch 10 minute naps waiting for something to happen. This methodical bullshit does nothing for this division. Thompson was a sparring partner. And yes, Wlad was a sparring partner who just happened to hit a little harder in spurts. Nothing more, and much less than anything we could want. However, a rematch with Sam Peter or a fight with Chris "Nipples" Arreola could be interesting. Wlad would at least be forced to fight.

Jack
thefloatingmonkey
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Jul 12 2008, 10:02 PM) [snapback]395687[/snapback]
However, a rematch with Sam Peter or a fight with Chris "Nipples" Arreola could be interesting. Wlad would at least be forced to fight.

Jack

I would like to see a rematch with Peter.

Even as garbage as Klitschko looked tonight, Arreola would get destroyed.
Fpsnut
Man, what happened to Wlad. The guy is mentally destroyed. Such a big guy in such a top shape and so afraid to get hit. Shit, look at weigh in pics his biceps look like they're going to pop. In later rounds Tony wasn't even able to answer and yet Wlad would still tie him down AFTER hurting him with his attack and give him a breather. In several cases he took him down with his own body after an attack. It's like watching wrestling. Boring. Pretty sad, he needs to switch trainers.
Douchebag
I must be the only one that thought that it was actually a decent fight for heavyweights, especially in the beginning.
D-MARV
I much rather see Arreola vs Peter! Im sure that fight would produce fireworks!
Boxingjunkie
Is it over yet. What a boring fight. I think I slept through most of it, or maybe not. Nothing was happening I cant remember.
thehype
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jul 13 2008, 09:25 AM) [snapback]395705[/snapback]
I must be the only one that thought that it was actually a decent fight for heavyweights, especially in the beginning.

LOL

That's kind of my point. If that was a decent fight for heavyweights, then the division might as well pack it in.

I seriouly think I watched more heavyweight fights in the 80's with guys like Pinklon Thomas, Trevor Berbick, Bonecrusher Smith, Carl Williams and Tony Tucker that were more exciting than that garbage.

laugh.gif

At this point, I think the winner of Valuev-Ruiz might have a good shot at unifying the titles....and that says a lot about the state of the heavyweight division.
The CEO
You almost nailed the call again in your Breakdown, JD....you're in the zone on those....

I'd really like to see Haye get what he's asking for.....he's talking way too much shit for being a nobody in the HW division....
JD
Thanks, hombre...glad you enjoy them.
The CEO
Who said I enjoy them?

laugh.gif

But really....all those gambling on fights lately should pay attention to your segment....thumbsup_anim.gif
JD
Well...you never explicitly said you enjoy them, but I am fairly certain you are a smart dude - so I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

drinks.gif
The CEO
I'm almost as smart as you...which means I'm a genius....lol

I just like to give props to good people who deserve them....I can't hate ALL the time. It ages you....
JD
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jul 13 2008, 01:09 PM) [snapback]395718[/snapback]
I'm almost as smart as you...which means I'm a genius....lol

I just like to give props to good people who deserve them....I can't hate ALL the time. It ages you....

LOL...

It is so true...hating all the time DOES age a man.
STEVENSKI
Wow two pages for a unified heavyweight title fight. That shows how sad the division is.
Megadeth
I cannot believe how scared Wlad fights. As he was going in for the kill, his feet were slowly moving forward but his upper body just kept leaning back...WTF. At this point in the fight the Tony's only threat was that he was going to pass out from exhaustion and fall on Wlad, but Wlad still was cautions.

Is it me or is Wlad turning into a huge John Ruiz, jab and hold, jab and hold. Did anyone notice how he just kept laying on Tony, it almost looked like he was going for a guilitine. I'll tell you what, if Wlad wants to fight like John Ruiz, lets see them fight each other, at least John has that style perfected and may even rough Wlad up a little on the inside.
BigG
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Jul 13 2008, 01:25 PM) [snapback]395705[/snapback]

Same here..it was better than Klits fight against Sultan.

Thompson has skills but no pop and little speed and although i thought he won 2 of the first 5 rounds with 1 even, he just became an easy target to Wlad's right hand and jab. Round 7 on it was a dominant performance from Wlad.

The HW division still sucks. I enjoyed the Chavez Jr/Vanda fight much more and the Solis/G Donaire fight too. I don't really care to see a HW title fight unless its Klitschko/Haye
Jack 1000
I had Klitschko way ahead. Not because of anything that he did that was so great. I just felt that of the very few but hard power shots that landed when they landed were landed by Wlad. Thompson seemed to do enough to be a good sparring partner, but that's it. You can't win rounds against a champion by going through the motions and sparring. In fact, I think I only gave him the 7th. After that, it seemed like Thompson wanted out.

This sparring session masquerading as a fight, just showed how putrid the heavyweight division of today is. Most of the champions and contenders are either bums or never-will-be's. I think Manny Steward is an over-rated trainer, who put all his fame, legacy, and greatness, into Tommy Hearns. He hasn't had any really good fighters since. He employs a safety-first standard into his fighters today. The only trainer more cautious with his fighters and worse with his implemented strategies is Buddy McGirt. On the fip side, maybe for Manny, he just has not had the motivation from his fighters who like to brawl and mix it up. Too many fighters would rather play it safe today. They get so much undeserved money from long term reciprocity contracts by TV networks such as HBO. They also get Jim Lampley bringing out the pom-poms no matter how good or bad they look. It seems like the announcers are contractually obligated not to say bad things about the fighters they represent.

All announcers had/have their favorites. Cosell would OOOHHH and AHHH everything that Ali and Leonard did in the ring or outside of it. But those legendary fighters earned their place in history by fighting the other great boxers in their era that made them great. The difference is, HBO (mainly Lampley) brings out the pom-poms for any fighter that the network promotes, regardless of who they fight, or their performance in the ring. Merchant would sometimes not follow the script, and I believe that there were times when the big brass at HBO did not like that. Remember when Larry was suspended for a telecast for saying one time that Delahoya's fight entrance music, "sucked."

I wish Lou Dibella was at the helm at HBO. He bought the best fights in most cases, and showcased the originally Boxing After Dark, that showed some of the best fight wars in the network's history. The problem is that with Lou no longer there, HBO has been using B.A.D to showcase C to C+ grade fighters against sacrificial lambs, so that the C+ grade fighter can get an often undeserved $50 PPV payday. It's not quality fights anymore, It's long term contracts. HBO started that with Roy Jones, paying him 5 million per fight regardless of opponent. Than they didn't renew his contract and Roy tried some self-promoting PPV's with his own company Square Ring Inc. which bombed. Than they renewed his contract. Delayoa and Mayweather followed the same type of reciprocity contact agreement. This led to "The Star?" demanding that every Tom, Dick, and Harry fight be a PPV at $50-$60 a shot.

Wlad Klitscko is now a part of that reciprocity contract. HBO no longer has the balls to say "no" to its manufactured "stars." What that means is, no matter how much Wlad plods along from win to win, we are stuck with him on HBO and Lampley's cheerleading squad until his contract ends. The hope is seeing him in a fight with a brawling opponent. Alexander Povetkin is a brawler and the new mandatory. Chris Arreloa is exciting and rising on the scene and seems to be a risk taken. David Haye has moved from Cruiserweight to heavyweight. There is always a rematch for Wlad with Sam Peter. That's at least four potentially exciting opponents for Wlad right there. I think with these opponents, we might be able to see Wlad in some better fights in the future.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.