Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bernard Hopkins moving to Heavyweight????
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
I just heard from a writer here in DC that Bernard is thinking about moving up to Heavyweight!!!! WOW!

As soon as I get a legit source, I will post it but I had to share this with you guys!!!!!! Anyone else heard about this rumor?
King Eugene
I havent heard of that rumor but Lord I hope its not true!
BigG
Bernard thought about this back when Maskaev had a title. I don't really think BHOP should fight anymore. He should retire on the controversial loss to Calzaghe.
King Eugene
I'd like to see him fight one more against either Trinidad or Roy (a going out fight for both of them)!
D-MARV
Yeah! I much rather see him fight a Roy Jones Jr or Tito Trinidad before hanging them up!

Hell!, maybe he can fight Mayorga in Philadelphia! LOL... can you imagine the build up
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 14 2008, 10:24 PM) [snapback]395813[/snapback]
Hell!, maybe he can fight Mayorga in Philadelphia! LOL... can you imagine the build up

Yea that would be crazy. He needs atleast one more good fight just so he can leave out without that nasty taste (Calzaghe) in his mouth.
hardhead
I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Jones(if he beats Calzaghe) or maybe Trinidad for one last fight.
D-MARV
Im pretty sure that BHOP will wait until Sept 20 before he made any decisions! But "If" Roy beat Calzaghe, the I honestly believe Roy will fight Sam Peter! LOL
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 14 2008, 11:24 PM) [snapback]395825[/snapback]
Im pretty sure that BHOP will wait until Sept 20 before he made any decisions! But "If" Roy beat Calzaghe, the I honestly believe Roy will fight Sam Peter! LOL

Lord I hope the heck he dont fight Sam Peter! As much as I like and have confidence in Roy this is one of these fights I'd be watching with my hand over my face and a lil crack between my ring and middle finger watching with one eye. Peter hits harder and is way faster than Ruiz. But he if he say he can do it more power to him.

But if He lose to Calzaghe (which he wont) people would be looking at a fight between BHop and Jones as a retirement fight and as a second place fight since the both would have lost to Calzaghe!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jul 15 2008, 12:50 AM) [snapback]395832[/snapback]
Lord I hope the heck he dont fight Sam Peter! As much as I like and have confidence in Roy this is one of these fights I'd be watching with my hand over my face and a lil crack between my ring and middle finger watching with one eye. Peter hits harder and is way faster than Ruiz. But he if he say he can do it more power to him.

But if He lose to Calzaghe (which he wont) people would be looking at a fight between BHop and Jones as a retirement fight and as a second place fight since the both would have lost to Calzaghe!

Don't worry about Roy fighting Peter. Afterall Peter couldn't do jackshit to James Toney even in the 2nd fight when James looked godawful.

Check out Toney BTW on Maxboxing he's looking pretty sharp!
D-MARV
I saw Toney's video on maxboxing too...
He looks like he has more bounce but he still has that damn stomach!!!!
JD
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 14 2008, 11:24 PM) [snapback]395825[/snapback]

Roy will NEVER fight Peter.
CreDog
Bernie Hopkins vs Jawny Ruiz might be the worst style match up in the history of boxing.
U.S. Champ
personally I think B-hop would dominate some of the smaller Heavyweights like maskaev or chagaev he would probably have trouble with those 6'4" and up guys
Big Slim Sweet
If Roy Jones fights Sam Peter he will die. James Toney may not be in Roy's class all-time but his chin is much sturdier. Comparing those two matchups makes absolutely no sense.
Big Slim Sweet
Oh, on the subject, I just don't see any heavyweight fight that makes sense for B-Hop, except maybe for Toney if he beats Rahman tomorrow night.

How bout Cunningham-Hopkins in Philly for the cruiserweight title?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Jul 15 2008, 06:33 AM) [snapback]395843[/snapback]
Don't worry about Roy fighting Peter. Afterall Peter couldn't do jackshit to James Toney even in the 2nd fight when James looked godawful.

Check out Toney BTW on Maxboxing he's looking pretty sharp!

Toney's never been been sent to sleep like Jones has.

Hopkins would beat a lot of small heavies. He wouldn't have to worry about speed and quickness like at the lower weights. His main concern would be size and punch, it would be pretty easy though to out manouver them. I doubt any Heavyweight has the skills of Hopkins.

But I would like to see Hopkins retire.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 15 2008, 06:55 AM) [snapback]395844[/snapback]

Lets face it James is always going to have that damn stomach, that man will never be an ambassador for SlimFast.

I know it's only sparring etc but he really did look revitalised. Toney is one of my favourite fighters and although I don't think the result will have much impact on the division (although stranger things have happened) I hope he wins and I think it could be a fun fight.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(CreDog @ Jul 15 2008, 11:50 AM) [snapback]395856[/snapback]
Bernie Hopkins vs Jawny Ruiz might be the worst style match up in the history of boxing.

Ruiz vs anyone is the worst style matchup ever. unless it's ruiz vs. tua
PR316
I would like to see a rematch against the winner of Jones and Calzaghe and then win lose or draw, call it a day.
AussieLad
Sam Peter is garbage. He gets way too much credit on this board. Sure he has a big punch, but he is slow as molasses and about as skilled as molasses

Jones would be my favourite to beat him on points fairly easily, even the shot version of jones. Of course there is always the chance he could get caught and brutally KO'd, which is the only reason i would watch thumbsup_anim.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jul 15 2008, 06:25 PM) [snapback]395883[/snapback]
Sam Peter is garbage. He gets way too much credit on this board. Sure he has a big punch, but he is slow as molasses and about as skilled as molasses

Jones would be my favourite to beat him on points fairly easily, even the shot version of jones. Of course there is always the chance he could get caught and brutally KO'd, which is the only reason i would watch thumbsup_anim.gif

Good points. I am sure though that if Jones fought Peter we would see a repeat of his 10 minute episode on the ground like in the Johnson fight.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 15 2008, 07:55 AM) [snapback]395844[/snapback]

That stomach isnt ever going anywhere. He never had a six pac....just a baby keg. LMAO
King Eugene
QUOTE(CreDog @ Jul 15 2008, 11:50 AM) [snapback]395856[/snapback]

LMAO you are so dang right! People thought the Winky Wright fight was boring (but I didnt) so I can just imagine the critics comments on this one!
D-MARV
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jul 15 2008, 08:21 PM) [snapback]395885[/snapback]
That stomach isnt ever going anywhere. He never had a six pac....just a baby keg. LMAO

Did you see the Toney Rahman weigh in pics?

Toney is just as fat but weighs 10 pounds less! LOL

He lost all that roided up muscle.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 15 2008, 10:29 PM) [snapback]395902[/snapback]
Did you see the Toney Rahman weigh in pics?

Toney is just as fat but weighs 10 pounds less! LOL

He lost all that roided up muscle.

Nah but I'm a be at work tomorrow when they fight so I'm a have to DVR it. Hopefully Toney can pull it off. Tell me something though. How many modern day black fighters have fought as many fights as Toney and Jones? Not many besides Glenn Johnson. Gotta love those hit and not get hit type of fighters!
The Original MrFactor
I'd like to see Hopkins go at it with Toney. Its a fight that has been a long time coming...
CreDog
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Jul 15 2008, 05:25 PM) [snapback]395883[/snapback]

I agree that Sam Peter has a big punch and is slow, but because Jones legs don't seem to be there and he has a bad habit of laying on the ropes-- All it would take is one bomb-- and literally Jones might die.

I would fear for Jones life if he fought a Klit or Peter.
CreDog
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jul 15 2008, 04:11 PM) [snapback]395880[/snapback]
Ruiz vs anyone is the worst style matchup ever. unless it's ruiz vs. tua

LOL. I give Jawny credit for getting his career back on track after that loss. The KO was devastating and would have ruined most prospects...

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(CreDog @ Jul 16 2008, 09:46 AM) [snapback]395938[/snapback]
I agree that Sam Peter has a big punch and is slow, but because Jones legs don't seem to be there and he has a bad habit of laying on the ropes-- All it would take is one bomb-- and literally Jones might die.

I would fear for Jones life if he fought a Klit or Peter.

Thankfully, Jones will never fight Klitschko or Peter......even if they were to pound at Jones' guard, it'd put Roy under tremendous pressure and he'd fold.

He hasn't got the legs anymore to move and avoid like he did with Ruiz.
D-MARV
QUOTE(3King3 @ Jul 16 2008, 12:03 AM) [snapback]395906[/snapback]
Nah but I'm a be at work tomorrow when they fight so I'm a have to DVR it. Hopefully Toney can pull it off. Tell me something though. How many modern day black fighters have fought as many fights as Toney and Jones? Not many besides Glenn Johnson. Gotta love those hit and not get hit type of fighters!

I love the Hit and not get hit fighters!!!! Thats the true essence of boxing. That's why I like slick fighters like Floyd and Bernard Hopkins! I even like the Old school fighters like Whitaker, Ali, and Willie Pep. That takes real talent.

Toney Rahman will be interesting! Im a huge Rahman fan so Ill be pulling for him.

Hasim Rahman is the coolest man I ever met! I met back in 2005 in DC for the Tyson-McBride fight!. Not only did he talk to me for hours but he bought me a Pepsi!!! Good Shit Man!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.