Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greg Leon's brilliant advice
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
CreDog
This made me smile... He's always talking about he's advising fighters, well this should be a cautionary tale to anyone thinking about taking advice from this moron...

Per Dan Rafael's Blog on Espn.com

"While the headache-inducing search for a fall opponent for middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik continues, one guy who won't be challenging him is Allan Green, who apparently graduated magna cum laude from the Winky Wright School of Dealmaking.

That means he grossly priced himself out of the fight, just another poor decision by a fighter who seems to do nothing but make poor decisions of late"
CreDog
But it get's better....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...name=rafael_dan
JD
He can always fabricate the Bob Arum interviews going forward...he apparently has experience doing that.
thehype
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I TRIED TO WARN SOME OF THESE PEOPLE.........

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...name=rafael_dan
Green takes bad advice, turns down biggest payday
Thursday, July 17, 2008 | Print Entry
Posted by Dan Rafael

While the headache-inducing search for a fall opponent for middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik continues, one guy who won't be challenging him is Allan Green, who apparently graduated magna cum laude from the Winky Wright School of Dealmaking.

That means he grossly priced himself out of the fight, just another poor decision by a fighter who seems to do nothing but make poor decisions of late.

After his last fight, an ESPN2 win against Rubin Williams on Jan. 4, Green was supposed to return Feb. 29 to face faded Antwun Echols. Instead, Green pulled out at the last minute without explanation. That boneheaded decision infuriated fight organizers, ESPN and Green's own team, and resulted in a suspension and lots of bad publicity.

Then Green, who thinks he's a superstar but has never won a big fight, declared that he would no longer fight on ESPN2 -- a network that has featured him numerous times -- because he deserved the HBO or Showtime limelight. Of course, Green apparently forgot that he got a chance to fight on a Miguel Cotto card on HBO in March 2007 and blew it big-time when he looked horrible losing a clear decision to Edison Miranda.

And now, with no prospect for a fight of consequence, Green was offered a shot at Pavlik on HBO on Sept. 27 in Atlantic City, N.J., according to Pavlik promoter Bob Arum and Green promoter Tony Holden.

Mind you, Green, who would have moved down in weight, had done nothing whatsoever to deserve the shot other than be available. Even without earning the fight, it might have been interesting. I certainly would give Green a chance to win if the right Green showed up.

You'd think Green would have treated the opportunity like it was manna from heaven.

Guess we'll never know how he would have done because he turned down a whopping $450,000 (plus training expenses) for the opportunity. Who turns that kind of money down -- by far Green's biggest payday -- for a free shot at the title in a fight he can win? And who turns it down in this economy? Allan Green, who recently had to get help from Holden to pay his rent, does.

When talks for Pavlik to face Paul Williams or Wright bogged down (they still are), Arum started talking to Holden, who has treated Green like family and done a masterful job guiding his career (even though Green doesn't seem very appreciative).

Like any negotiation, each side threw out numbers and they went from there. Holden said he asked for $750,000. Eventually, he and Arum settled on $450,000. Holden also said he got the fight without having to give Arum options on any of Green's future fights in the event he won (with the exception of a rematch). That's pretty impressive. It should be noted that Pavlik's last opponent, Gary Lockett, made just $250,000 for their fight last month.

Next Holden told Arum he would take the offer to Green for his approval, which should have been a no-brainer. Pretty simple, right? Sure, until an inexperienced adviser gets involved, which is exactly what happened.

Green had recently started working with neophyte Greg Leon, who convinced Green that they should have asked for more than $1 million, a number so preposterous for that fight that it would be funny if it wasn't true. That's when Arum, Holden and Leon got on a three-way telephone call, one Holden said he advised Leon against doing. During the call, Leon angered and disrespected Arum to such an extent that he hung up the phone.

"Bob and I have done millions of dollars worth of deals over the years. We respect each other and have worked well together, and we had a deal," Holden said. "The adviser got on the phone with me and Bob, and it was a disrespectful conversation, and Bob hung up."

Holden said after the call Leon phoned him and said Green would take the offer.

But it was too late.

"I called Bob back, and the offer was off the table. Bob told me, 'I'll never be disrespected like that again,'" said Holden, who added that he had no hard feelings toward Arum.

Arum, so incensed, said he instructed his receptionist not to take Leon's repeated calls.

"They got this genius adviser who doesn't know what the [expletive] he's doing," Arum said. "They were pretty stupid. What they asked for was stupid, so the offer is off the table. You get a guy like Tony Holden, who knows the business, so what the hell does [Green] need that moron who doesn't know the business as a so-called adviser? That so-called adviser gave him bad advice."

Green, however, took it. It was another poor decision, one that cost him a lot of money and a shot at the middleweight championship.
AKay
WOWSERZ!!!!
Tha Docta
god damn. its gonna take greg alot of phony emails from himself in his mailbags to try and save some face here.
rusty_trombone
man, leon cost someone a shot at being the undisputed middleweight champion, what a dickbag. His ass would be shitcanned before he hung up the phone.
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't think I have to mention the stupidity of that decision. I mean we all know that there have been fighters out there who have turned down big fights only to keep winning and finally get one better, Hopkins and JMM come to mind. However those guys have exceptional abilities. Green, while being a good fighter, is not Bernard Hopkins or JMM. Hell he lost his biggest fight to date against Miranda. I can't help but wonder what the hell Leon is thinking telling him to turn down the offer. Either he thought, "All right let's ask for a mil, that way I get more" or the guy is just one of those amateurs who thinks negotiating is basically playing tough and pisssing the other guy off.

I also chuckle at the thought of people who don't know about Btalk reading the article going "Who the fuck is Greg Leon?"
Bhopreign
Anybody know what percentage Leon gets?
thehype
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 17 2008, 02:14 PM) [snapback]396081[/snapback]
Either he thought, "All right let's ask for a mil, that way I get more" or the guy is just one of those amateurs who thinks negotiating is basically playing tough and pisssing the other guy off.

I think it's a combination of both.
Mean Mister Mustard
I went around other forums to read what people were saying and one funny comment I read was:

"Green is too busy looking at his feet to worry about a 450k payday."
Bhopreign
I think part of is that Leon was thinking Green will lose so why not try and get the most you can, better to lose with a mil than lose with 450k.
thehype
QUOTE(Bhopreign @ Jul 17 2008, 03:15 PM) [snapback]396087[/snapback]
Anybody know what percentage Leon gets?

10% according to the G. Leon Advisory Group contract that he makes the fighters sign.

HOWEVER...he recently cut a deal with PEMG and from what I heard, Michael Shinefield, the CEO of PEMG, was offering anyone 15% of any fighter that they brought to him so my he may have worked something out with PEMG that now gets him a little more than that initial 10%.

Want to hear a funny story...Leon actually tried to reach out to me through a mutual friend to see if I would be interested in working with him again. "Hype's the only guy I trust...it's too bad things couldn't work out...with my advising fighters, I don't have time to keep up with the site...I really need him right now...you can let him know I said that...blah, blah, blah."

fuck.gif
thehype
QUOTE(Bhopreign @ Jul 17 2008, 03:33 PM) [snapback]396090[/snapback]
I think part of is that Leon was thinking Green will lose so why not try and get the most you can, better to lose with a mil than lose with 450k.

Ummmm...not for nothing, but Zab Judah wasn't even getting $1 million to fight Shane Mosley so how in the hell did Leon think he was going to get $1 million for Allan Green, who's never held a title and lost the biggest fight of his career to Edison Miranda?
The CEO
laugh.gif

This incident HAS to mark the end of GL Smoove Advisory Innovations.....
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 17 2008, 02:36 PM) [snapback]396092[/snapback]
Ummmm...not for nothing, but Zab Judah wasn't even getting $1 million to fight Shane Mosley so how in the hell did Leon think he was going to get $1 million for Allan Green, who's never held a title and lost the biggest fight of his career to Edison Miranda?

I want to hear what Leon has to say.
Bhopreign
QUOTE(thehype @ Jul 17 2008, 02:36 PM) [snapback]396092[/snapback]

True, he was probably also thinking because deals have reached a snag with everyone else lately with Pavlik that they would go ahead and settle for the mil, I see he went ahead and tried to get that 450k at the end, I think he thought if I ask for a mil then at worse we will settle for something i the middle, maybe 750k. I wonder what his other fighters are thinking when they hear this. Also if Shinefield is offereing anyone 15% for any fighter how much is Shine getting then, you would think at least equal that 15% for himself which leaves the fighter with hardly anything. I kinda hate the whole thing where you have to have promoter, seems almost to me also that an advisor is basically a manager, Im guessing with a lot less work to do perhaps. Seems Leon's mailbags only answer questions about his fighters now, thats the only reason he started to do the bag again it seems. I can understand if you have a site youre gonna want to plug your fighters some but he goes way overboard, almost everything on there now is about his fighters, all old fighters too it seems, got to start somewhere I guess, kinda a graveyard, kinda like Koch is for rappers, yea G. Leon is the KOCH of boxing, nice ring.
Tha Docta

hype, great work on the front page. love how you linked it to the monkey business thread. genius, pure genius i tell ya.
thehype
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'm sorry, but I'm still just laughing my ass off about the thought of Allan Green getting $1 million to fight Pavlik.

Tony Thompson got $500,000 to fight Klitschko and somehow, he thinks Green should get more to fight Pavlik?

thehype
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jul 17 2008, 04:19 PM) [snapback]396096[/snapback]
hype, great work on the front page. love how you linked it to the monkey business thread. genius, pure genius i tell ya.

laugh.gif

I couldn't help it.

Can't wait to hear his response. I hear he's working on it right now as we speak...putting together some type of masterpiece to bash Dan Rafael. Not exactly sure of what he can say though when Rafael has direct quotes from both Holden and Arum about how he fvcked up the deal.

I gotta give props to Rafael though (something I rarely do)...his use of the word neophyte was priceless. That must have been his word of the day.

laugh.gif
Tha Docta

i really cant wait to see how he tries to spin this. his mailbag is gonna be full of people supporting his decision i believe. although, the emails in his mailbag will come from himself.

i imagine the other fighters that hes signed are not too happy to read how inept their new advisor is. why is an advisor even involved in these negotiations? what the hell does green pay his promoter for if leons stupid ass is negotiating purses?

the only thing that would have made rafael's article better is if he referred to leon as a neophyte monkey.
Mean Mister Mustard
From what I know, people in the boxing net world don't like Leon, this is all that is needed for them to bash him even more.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I just read the response by Leon. To me, it's kind of disgusting that he's putting all of this info on the internet instead of trying to smooth things over personally. All this rebuttal will do is piss off Tony Holden some more, and he'll really start advising Green to get the hell away from Leon. I think he's also been disrespectful of Arum as well. Even in the interviews he comes across as a disrespectful prick to Arum. His site is trash now, and doesn't even load half the time for me. Leon has a lot of problems right now, and should stick to running a website instead of advising professionals.
Bhopreign
Yea very amateurish putting it out on his website like that, he mentioned being hung up on a dozen times which shows he is more concerned about Arum hanging up on him more than anything. Like a whiny kid. Is this the best professional fighters can do? Cant they find someone better than this guy? I would just have my promoter and maybe manager, what sense does it make for more money to come out of your purse, so this guy can mess it all up?
KookedKrack
what goes around....
thehype
QUOTE(KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jul 17 2008, 06:15 PM) [snapback]396108[/snapback]
I just read the response by Leon. To me, it's kind of disgusting that he's putting all of this info on the internet instead of trying to smooth things over personally. All this rebuttal will do is piss off Tony Holden some more, and he'll really start advising Green to get the hell away from Leon. I think he's also been disrespectful of Arum as well. Even in the interviews he comes across as a disrespectful prick to Arum. His site is trash now, and doesn't even load half the time for me. Leon has a lot of problems right now, and should stick to running a website instead of advising professionals.

clapping.gif

Good post.
Byrd Man
FAT MAN GOT IT ALL WRONG: THE TRUTH ABOUT PAVLIK-GREEN
By G. Leon

Pavlik-Hopkins PPV Oct 18? Mosley-Mayorga getting moved to September 27?
Dan Rafael's latest blog on ESPN features a scathing attack on myself and world class super middleweight Allan Green that is based on lies. Saying this story is filled with holes the size of Rafael, would be too kind. It is completely fictional. ESPN.com should be ashamed for running an article written by somebody, who must've graduated magna cum laude from the Forget about fact checking school of journalism. First of all, neither Allan Green nor myself ever turned down a fight with Kelly Pavlik. Want the TRUTH, here's how the story goes.

Tony Holden contacted Allan Green to say he was working on something big that he was "pretty far along with." The next day Mr. Holden told me that fight was Kelly Pavlik. Later that evening I spoke with the Bobfather to discuss the fight.

I was surprised that it hadn't been brought to his attention. I was even more surprised when he told me that he and Tony Holden hadn't spoken for a year.

I then asked Arum what he thought about the fight. He didn't like it. I explained to him why I felt it would make sense. Our conversation concluded with him telling me that he would speak to Holden the following morning. Boxingtalk readers should be fully aware of the fact that over the years Arum and I have built up a solid relationship. Along with Don King and Charles Muniz, I consider the Bobfather as one of my three mentors in the boxing business, so disrespecting him as Fat Man Scoopless latest blog indicates is false.

Shortly thereafter I spoke with Holden and explained to him in full detail my conversation with Arum. There were two things I instructed Holden to do: get me on the phone when he speaks with Arum and most importantly, let him make the first offer. "I know how he operates, he's going to ask you what you want, so let him make the first offer."

Based on the numbers previously Pavlik potentials were offered I told Holden he should be able to get $750,000 as a package deal. He agreed. I told him if you and Arum are at a stalemate over who wants to make the first offer, start at a million and work your way down to $750,000.

Here are some interesting facts before we move on:
Sergio Mora was offered more than $1M for the fight.
Joe Greene's people were offered $750,000 for the fight
Giovanni Lorenzo had been offered $750,000 before Pavlik landed on Lockett.
And you'll never believe what I've heard unknown Gary Lockett's people got for flying across the pond to pick up a paycheck. I can't confirm that number, so we'll leave it alone.

The next day Holden calls me and tells me he spoke to Arum and things didn't go too well. I asked what happened. He said, "Arum asked me what we wanted. I told him $750,000 is fair and he came back with $400,000 and we have another call set up for tomorrow morning."

I told him that was a low offer, I think we can get more money out him and I want to be on that next phone call tomorrow morning. The next morning Holden calls me again and tells me he spoke with Arum and got him up to $450,000. At this point I asked him why he didn't get me on the phone for the call, he said he tried to call me, but couldn't get me on the phone.

Do you really think I'm making myself unavailable or ignoring such a call in the middle of the day?

I told him I don't think we should take it just yet, if you got another 50k in two minutes what makes you think we can't get anymore? He didn't think we were getting anything else at that point. For the third time, I told him I wanted to be on a three way call with Arum.

We finally get the three way going and here's how that went. Bob says, hello. Tony says, "hello I'm on with Greg, I say hello. Bob says yeah. I say, "Bobfather, 450? "in a soft curious tone that can in no way be deemed disrespectful. He hangs up. That was it.

Called him back, got hung up on as soon as I said hello. Tried calling a few more times, no luck. Who was being disrespectful? Is this how the Bobfather negotiates? This marked the first two times in over four years that Arum has hung up on me. Could it be that he's given me too many off the record lessons and too much inside information about previous offers that he doesn't want to deal with me and would prefer to deal with Holden who thought it was a good idea to answer Bob's, 'so how much you want proposition?

Arum was able to convince the experienced Holden, that merely calling him the Bobfather was the most direspected he's ever been in his whole life. I tried to put him on to game by informing him that Arum and I have been discussing making Bobfather Boxingtalk shirts and selling them on the site to donate money to boxing charities. In short, I was trying to put him on to how Arum operates, but it was tough for the Oklahoma based promoter to keep up.

My answer to Arum's intial question would have been something like, as much as you're willing to spend. You have the budget, you have the champion, you have the HBO date and you'll be the promoter in charge, so you tell me. Anything but a number would have been a better OPENING answer, but what do I know?

WITHIN AN HOUR of the conference call, I had already spoken to Allan and told him we might not get any more money. I think we should take the fight, not due to Holden's keen negotiating skills, due to the fact that regardless of what we get for this fight, this is an opportunity to become a multi-millionaire and have a market value that exeeds our fan base.

Allan agreed. I immediately called Tony and told him we're going to take it for the $450,000. Try to get some training expenses if you can, but we're taking the fight. Arum and Holden hadn't spoken to each other in the hour that passed between getting hung up on and me telling Holden we accept the fight.

Why Tony Holden would make some of the remarks he made publicly is beyond me. He is obviously offended that Allan felt he needed some help. During our discussions, he is quick to point out how experienced he is, and in a sarcastic tone, refer to all of my experience. I might not be as old as Mr. Holden, but last time I checked it's taken me one year to represent more than triple the amount of fighters he currently does.

Another interesting fact you should know is that HBO NEVER ACCEPTED OR APPROVED ALLAN GREEN. You'll notice Rafael's article lacks any quotes from HBO, I challenge him to get them on the record saying Allan Green was at any point during all of this, accepted or approved by the network.

Tony Holden not speaking with HBO or Arum about the fight he was "pretty far along on" before I spoke to Arum is another interesting fact.

ALLAN GREEN NEVER TURNED THIS FIGHT DOWN. WE HAVE BEEN, AND STILL ARE READY TO SIGN A CONTRACT FOR $450,000. ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS SEND IT AND IT WILL BE SIGNED IMMEDIATELY. ALL THEY HAD TO DO IS SEND IT FROM THE MOMENT IT WAS ACCEPTED AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SIGNED IMMEDIATELY

The next several days became a matter of waiting for the Paul Willaims negotiations to fully collapse so we can get the fight as their last resort. Allan already began training early since he'd have to come down to 160 to make the fight. Don't know many boxers who begin training for fights they turned down.

As is the norm, I had spoken to the Bobfather several times during this waiting period. I told him we accept the fight for $450,000 and each converstaion was cordial. I was never told me the fight was off the table until yesterday evening, because HBO didn't want to do it. Another conversation he didn't hang up on me on. Makes sense though, why would he continue to hang up on me when we're getting with his program?

Since it looks like the Paul Williams isn't happening, HBO is currently looking at a potential Bernard Hopkins-Pavlik fight on HBO PPV October 18, moving Shane Mosley-Ricardo Mayorga to September 27 on HBO World Championship Boxing. Maybe Rafael would be up on this if he was better at fact checking.

If none of that comes to fruition, the position of Allan Green will not change. Allan is ready, willing and able to fight Kelly Pavlik on September 27, October 18 or any other date Arum can get HBO to approve him for.

After learning of Rafael's column earlier today, I quickly called the Bobfather, who hit me with the, 'what are you talking about?' I told him to read the article and call me right back, which he did. He still couldn't view the piece and accused me of having a more advanced version of the internet. I told him he's not stupid, and he should know what he said? I asked him why he would he would say that? I admit I got a bit disrespectful this time, and got hung up for good reason.

As much as Rafael hates on me-for obvious reasons starting with our appearances-I doubt that he would make up these remarks, so I guess the Bobfather was lying yesterday and lying twice more today. As much as I would love to continue to embarrass Mr. Holden, I'm going to end it here because at the end of the day, for the time being at least, we both have to work together to get Allan the fights he deserves.

Arum was unavailable when I attempted to call him back to see if he wanted to issue any retraction or apology for the false remarks he made.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(Bhopreign @ Jul 17 2008, 04:50 PM) [snapback]396112[/snapback]
Yea very amateurish putting it out on his website like that, he mentioned being hung up on a dozen times which shows he is more concerned about Arum hanging up on him more than anything. Like a whiny kid. Is this the best professional fighters can do? Cant they find someone better than this guy? I would just have my promoter and maybe manager, what sense does it make for more money to come out of your purse, so this guy can mess it all up?

haha i think he was worried more bout arum hanging up on him because Arum was really the only man giving him interviews lately on his site he was kind of his main stay like the moselys are on this site.

guess greg is gonna have to go back to zab and forrest interviews three times a week lol
caneman
It ain't just this board...it's blowing up on another board & & the dialog has gone to how fucked up HBO is & the need for a boxing network so we don't need HBO! Really entertaining reading though...I must say!
RealPuya
A COMPLETE DISSECTION OF ESPN.COM'S FAIRY TALE!
By G. Leon

While the headache-inducing search for a fall opponent for middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik continues, one guy who won't be challenging him is Allan Green, who apparently graduated magna cum laude from the Winky Wright school of deal making. That means he grossly priced himself out of the fight, just another poor decision by a fighter who seems to do nothing, but make poor decisions of late.

Leon's Comment: False. Allan never priced himself out of a fight. It's tough not to construe his poor decisions as of late remark as a cheap shot at me.

Mind you, Green, who would have moved down in weight, had done nothing whatsoever to deserve the shot other than be available. Even without earning the fight, it might have been interesting. I certainly would give him a chance to win if the right Green showed up.

Leon's Comment: Nothing whatsoever to deserve the shot, he's not earning the fight, but you give him a good chance of winning? Which one is it?

Guess we'll never know how he would have done because he turned down a whopping $450,000 (plus training expenses) for the opportunity. Who turns that kind of money down -- by far Green's biggest payday -- for a free shot at the title in a fight he can win? And who turns it down in this economy? Allan Green, who recently had to get help from Holden to pay his rent, does.

Leon's Comment: Considering the funds that were on the table for other fights, not sure whooping is the adjective I would have used. Who turns that money down is a good question because we didn't. Rafael writes that Allan Green turned this down as though it is fact when it is absolutely false.

When talks for Pavlik to face Paul Williams or Wright bogged down (they still are), Arum started talking to Holden, who has treated Green like family and done a masterful job guiding his career (even though Green doesn't seem very appreciative).

Leon's Comment: FACT: Arum and Holden didn't speak until after I spoke to Arum. With that being said, Allan Green would tell you that I was ready to give Holden all of the credit in the world for making the fight just to keep things on the level.

Like any negotiation, each side threw out numbers and they went from there. Holden said he asked for $750,000. Eventually, he and Arum settled on $450,000. Holden also said he got the fight without having to give Arum options on any of Green's future fights in the event he won (with the exception of a rematch). That's pretty impressive. It should be noted that Pavlik's last opponent, Gary Lockett, made just $250,000 for their fight last month.

Leon's Comment: Wonder how many other promoters would have asked how much more money they'd get if they co-promoted Allan's next three fights together? Anybody else think Arum would have anted up if he got some options? Could Arum and Top Rank have been helpful to Holden and Allan? Lockett made $250,000 but what was the package offer made to his promoter? Hmmm.

Next Holden told Arum he would take the offer to Green for his approval, which should have been a no-brainer. Pretty simple, right? Sure, until an inexperienced adviser gets involved, which is exactly what happened.

Leon's Comment: Nobody from Team Green notified Arum that we weren't taking the fight. One hour passed between getting hung up on, speaking with Tony Holden, then Allan and then Holden again to tell him we're taking the fight for $450,000. ONE HOUR and nobody ever turned it down. Indicating that I botched the deal is false.

Green had recently started working with neophyte Greg Leon, who convinced Green that they should have asked for more than $1 million, a number so preposterous for that fight that it would be funny if it wasn't true. That's when Arum, Holden and Leon got on a three-way telephone call, one Holden said he advised Leon against doing. During the call, Leon angered and disrespected Arum to such an extent that he hung up the phone.

Leon's Comment: FALSE. I never convinced Green what we should ask for. I discussed with Tony what we should ask for. And I told him that we should start at a million and work our way down to $750,000. One of the few truths to Rafael's column is that Holden asked for $750,000. How did we ask Arum for more than a million when Holden started at $750? Nobody on Team Green ever asked Arum for a million. Did Holden ask for $750k because he knew that's what everybody else was being offered? See my rebuttal for a full description of how I allegedly disrespected Arum.

"Bob and I have done millions of dollars worth of deals over the years. We respect each other and have worked well together, and we had a deal," Holden said. "The adviser got on the phone with me and Bob, and it was a disrespectful conversation, and Bob hung up."

Leon's Comment: When I first discussed the fight with Arum he and Holden hadn't spoken in a year. For our promoter to view the discussion as disrespectful with me calling Arum, Bobfather, it just goes to prove how ignorant he is to the extent Arum and I have spoken. We certainly don't go a year between phone calls.

Holden said that after the call Leon phoned him and said Green would take the offer. But it was too late. "I called Bob back, and the offer was off the table. Bob told me, 'I'll never be disrespected like that again,' " said Holden, who added that he had no hard feelings toward Arum.

Leon's Comment: One hour? What other fight did Bob nail down? Paul Williams? That Bobfather knows how to pull those strings, so it's no surprise Holden has no ill feelings towards Arum.

Arum, so incensed, said he instructed his receptionist not to take Leon's repeated calls.

Leon's Comment: For like an hour. This remark is misleading since Arum and I have spoken many times since then. Not too mention we usually speak on his cell phone.

"They got this genius adviser who doesn't know what the [f---] he's doing," Arum said. "They were pretty stupid. What they asked for was stupid, so the offer is off the table. You get a guy like Tony Holden, who knows the business, so what the hell does [Green] need that moron who doesn't know the business as a so-called adviser? That so-called adviser gave him bad advice."

Leon's Comment: Arum denied this to me and then said he couldn't view this story. Here's your quote Bob. It took Monte Barrett all of :57 seconds to prove I knew what I was doing when I accepted the Tye Fields fight, not bad for a neophyte so called adviser. What bad advice did I give him Bobfather? We accepted the fight nearly two weeks ago and have been waiting for you to realize the Paul Williams fight wasn't going to happen before you sent us our contract. Then it's suddenly off the table because HBO didn't approve it. We still want the fight for the same offer we're being accused of turning down. Arum doesn't think Al Haymon knows what he's doing either so I'll take that as a compliment, because it hasn't taken long for Haymon to son the Bobfather more than once.

Green, however, took it. It was another poor decision, one that cost him a lot of money and a shot at the middleweight championship.

Leon's Comment: FALSE AGAIN: My advice to Allan was to take the fight. I'm sure somebody will interview him soon and hear it for themselves. We took the fight one hour after Holden got Arum up to $450,000. Training expenses were never finalized either and didn't come into the discussion until a week after I allegedly disrespected Arum so badly that I became the reason the fight isn't happening. Don't know how many promoters start negotiating training expenses a week after the fight is off the table? Notice there's no dollar amount for training expenses. Why? Because by the time Arum was going give us that number, HBO turned the fight down.

Closing: It is clear to me that this story was penned with malicious intentions to damage my reputation as an advisor to professional boxers. The story is littered with lies that the author neglected to fact check, even with the network who was allegedly airing this fight. The involved parties will be held accountable for these remarks as I will seek every remedy to protect my reputation. Fortunately, none of the boxers I currently work with are taking this too seriously because I keep them well informed, however I can't be nuts for thinking a story like this could create reluctance amongst other boxers considering to sign with me, can I?

Tha Docta
he basically admits that he thought green deserved more than 450k. and just because the fight could be interesting doesnt mean hes done anything to deserve it.

and hes taking credit for barrett taking the fields fight? if barrett didnt know enough to accept that fight on his own then he is a retard. and looks like hes threatening legal action again. what a fucking surprise. i am loving this though. leon looks like a half wit.
caneman
I am not sure getting in a pissing contest with some of the big names in boxing is a good idea @ all. wow, just wow black eye.gif
Bhopreign
QUOTE(caneman @ Jul 17 2008, 09:29 PM) [snapback]396158[/snapback]
I am not sure getting in a pissing contest with some of the big names in boxing is a good idea @ all. wow, just wow black eye.gif

Exactly, Arum could probably have him blackballed if he wanted to. Arum probably dont like the fact that Leon keeps bragging about Barrett knocking out one of his fighters either.
Byrd Man
All I know is the Rafael chat tomorrow is going to be interesting. lol

caneman
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Jul 17 2008, 11:44 PM) [snapback]396175[/snapback]
All I know is the Rafael chat tomorrow is going to be interesting. lol

Could you imagine everyone involved being in that chat? wowzers! I ain't crazy about Rafael but I guess he does his job as a "report" but he sucks as a writer...he couldn't squeeze a pimple on Bernard Fernandez's ass! In fact Fernandez could do his job on both accounts better than Fat turd could!
ghost13
I just got out of jail today. And this is the first thing i read. Fucking hilarious.
Jack 1000
guess greg is gonna have to go back to zab and forrest interviews three times a week lol

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Jack
buford54
Greg is a house divided against himself and he is going to fall.
He runs a website that supposedly runs "breaking news" on upcoming fights...but now he's an advisor and his site is dedicated entirely to the guys that he advises. While the viewers who have read his site since the beginning may stay tuned for this drama, I doubt many new boxing fans will be headed to his page to read about Monte Barrett and Allan Green.

In his same "dissection" of Rafael's piece, he repeatedly talks about how tight he and Arum are...but then he talks about how Al Haymon "sonned" Arum. I don't think he's going to get back on Arum's good side by making comments like that.
Greg is learning the hard way, sadly. He thought that because he was "boys" with all of the big fighters that getting his guys big fights would be no problem.
But now that he's not simply a dude with a website where they can promote themselves, he has begun to play with their potential paychecks...I see his sources drying up real quick.

It seems like he was riding high after his "huge success" with the Barrett/Fields fight. I don't see Arum putting up with G's demands though. Greg has spent too much time with his boy "Money Mayweather." Thinking he can just march in and demand a million dollars...thinking his "street wisdom" of negotiation would work with a guy like Arum.
He calls the guy "Bobfather." Do you go insult a Godfather? Probably not. I think he forgot who he was messing with and is now paying the price.
JD
I think Arum was offended and annoyed for a few reasons.

First, because Greg acted like they were best buds when he addressed him...second, because Greg seems like he might not know the difference between and interview and a negotiation...and lastly, and most importantly, because Greg actually tried to negotiate with him in the first place.

Arum was probably like "Who the fuck is the green nobody trying to tell me $450k is not enough and calling me 'Bobfather', is he for real!?!" CLICK

Man, talk about f'ing up a dudes career. $450k and a shot at the undisputed middleweight championship on HBO for fighter who hasn't fought since January, and the (first and) last time he was on HBO near 18 months ago, he stared at his feet and put forth a non-effort against Edison Miranda.
MarzB
Apparently Boxingtalk isn't up right now so HYPE, perhaps you should accept Greg's offer by proxy,lol...

Seriously though, I don't like Greg Leon from what I've read and some of my own experiences but.

Theres two sides to every story and both of those stories have some truth in it. I can clearly see theres disdain between Dan Raphael and Leon starting with the "neophyte" and " fatman" comments in both of their pieces.

That said, honestly folks here do you all think that Greene should have been paid more than Lockett? If Lockett got paid more than what Greene was offered as Greg alleges then I do definitely think its fair to have asked for more. Not $1 million dollars but atleast what Lockett got.

Anyone disagree with that?? If so why? Remove whatever feelings you have for Greg Leon out of the equation and look at this rationally.

I personally have always seen bob Arum as being just as if not more crooked than Don King so I can clearly see him doing a low ball offer like that.

Now granted apparently with Green being in the financial straits he's in, perhaps they should have consulted him first and foremost but I guess thats why he has an "adviser". AGain take Leon out of this for just a moment. Would any of you have accepted that offer assuming Lockett got more??

The reason I'm focused on Locket is that while I don't think Allan is a world beater, he's definitely when healthy a good fighter. WHO THE HELL WAS/IS GARY LOCKETT?? I recognize ZERO of the names on his resume and judging by how he performed that fight, he was in WAY over his head.

Unfortunately though when you do this you had BETTER be working the phones with something else that could atleast establish you but apparently (according to Raphael) he ruined the relationship he had with ESPN so I guess he can't. ..
JD
I think Lockett was paid whatever he was as a payoff for the Calzaghe fight. Unfortunately, Calzaghe opted to fight Roy at 175.

That said, $250k is the number for Lockett from what I understand.
Tha Docta
i also heard that 250k number for Lockett. but seriously, when you are new to the game like Leon, you try to do right by your fighters without pissing off the big boys. and you also have to know that there is a time for jokes, and a time to do business. leon obviously doesnt know the difference with his stupid ass bobfather comments. arum strikes me as someone that might joke around in interviews, but is dead ass serious when it comes to negotiations for his fighters. this isnt a little game to him, this is serious business. its what he does and he does it better than any other promoter IMO.

buford54
It looked to me like Lockett got 250,000. So Green was offered almost double that.
It sounds to me that G advised him right out the fight, pissed off Arum and Holden, and was made to look like an idiot.
He had a very juvenile response to Arum's comment that "he didn't know what he was doing."
He simply said, 'I didn't look I didn't know what I was doing when I got Monte Barrett the fight against Tye Fields."

The guy is only concerned about himself, his image and his perception.
Of course, with boxing being as corrupt as it is, what better place for his selfish motives to hide. His issue is, he is a conniver...but the "Bobfathers" of boxing don't want/need the competition.
moscow bear
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Jul 18 2008, 12:06 AM) [snapback]396142[/snapback]
As much as Rafael hates on me-for obvious reasons starting with our appearances............

what a faggot-like comment.... does he think he looks like Marlon Brando?
salvador
Is Leon taking an additional 10% on top of what the Oklahoma promoter is getting? If so, that's just really pitiful.
MarzB
I'll stand corrected if Lockett got only 250K. According to what Leon said he implied that Lockett was paid more and thats what I was going along with.

EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jul 18 2008, 09:22 AM) [snapback]396223[/snapback]
I'll stand corrected if Lockett got only 250K. According to what Leon said he implied that Lockett was paid more and thats what I was going along with.

I agree with u that green should have got more than lockett. this isnt the first time arum made a low offer to someone If you remember arum supposibly offered zab 250,000 to fight margarito who at the time had no belt and was coming off a loss to paul.

I think greg messed up but not as bad as people are saying let arum run his pavlik vs boring old hopkins let it flop and maybe we'll see arum put him against someone the people wanna see him fight against
buford54
Do people want to see Pavlik fight the guy that Edison Miranda knocked out though?
I'd never heard that fight mentioned prior to G Leon advising Allan Green.
moscow bear
QUOTE(buford54 @ Jul 18 2008, 05:49 PM) [snapback]396236[/snapback]
Do people want to see Pavlik fight the guy that Edison Miranda knocked out though?
I'd never heard that fight mentioned prior to G Leon advising Allan Green.

not sure what you mean by knocking out cold..... green lost a D to Miranda, and in my eyes was fairly competitive early, then he kinda pussied out of the fight.
Byrd Man
Am I the only one who thinks the name "Bobfather" is a complete and utter joke? I'd be embarrassed if I was Arum for someone calling me that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.