Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik/hopkins on Oct 11th ot 18th
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
caneman
K9-kim is reporting it as being talked about @ 170! I think it could be a great fight for Pavlik experience wise & honestly IMO BHop just doesn't throw enough punches anymore IMO! Yet we all know, no one is KOing BHop! whatcha y'all think of this match up though?

source story here! http://www.maxboxing.com/Kim/Kim071708_Brief.asp
slap
I think pavlik would ko b-hop i dont think he has ever fought any1 who hits as hard as pavlik does bernard just dosen't have it anymore he's 2 slow is jab is a hook now hopkins is done.
BigG
I think Hopkins would really frustrate Pavlik..could be another close fight.
caneman
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jul 17 2008, 06:57 PM) [snapback]396113[/snapback]
I think Hopkins would really frustrate Pavlik..could be another close fight.

There's no doubt that a double jab & a str8 right will NOT work with X but I still believe X can't pull the trigger when he needs to & X will be down too far @ the end along the lines of 116-112 or better!
Col Reb
Pavlik doesn't need to go to 170 for anyone. He needs to unify at 160. If BHOP wants to fight him, he should move down and challenge for his old belt. Otherwise, Pavlik should fight Abraham.
caneman
QUOTE(Col Reb @ Jul 17 2008, 07:15 PM) [snapback]396118[/snapback]
Pavlik doesn't need to go to 170 for anyone. He needs to unify at 160. If BHOP wants to fight him, he should move down and challenge for his old belt. Otherwise, Pavlik should fight Abraham.

AA has a mando he needs to take care of though 1st & Pavlik wants to stay busy. I say make X drop to 168 & make the fight & drop back down to 160 to unify with AA before june of next year! thumbsup_anim.gif
EDIT: CEO, post what you think of this already...I wanna hear your opinion! THX non management of Fighthype rolleyes.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
Hopkins takes Pavlik to the distance. In his prime or hell even a 41 year old Hopkins would have loved to take on a guy like Pavlik. Sure he punches hard but he is slow of both hand and footspeed and Hopkins knows how to outmanouver these guys. At this stage however, he just doesn't throw enough and when pressured he runs out of gas. We all know what the fight would ook like, Hopkins moves side to side wiating to counter Pavlik with the right and a lot of clinching in between.

thefloatingmonkey
ugh! I hope this never happens. Hopkins needs to retire!
PR316
Pavlik is very basic and his hand speed is not overwhelming. I B-Hop has a pretty good shot here. Pavlik should probably decision him at this point based on workrate but this is a dangerous fight for him, especially at 170 pounds.
King Eugene
I wish Hopkins would come down to 160 for this fight just to make it a title fight and not a catch weight fight. But I dont care how old he is and how many punches he throws HOPKINS WILL NOT BE KNOCKEDOUT!!!! You can hang that thought up! He is still one of the slickest boxers in the sport now.
The CEO
QUOTE(caneman @ Jul 17 2008, 07:22 PM) [snapback]396121[/snapback]
EDIT: CEO, post what you think of this already...I wanna hear your opinion! THX non management of Fighthype rolleyes.gif

Hey, cane...I have to tell ya.....I haven't really entertained the possibilities for this fight yet because I straight up don't like it....laugh.gif

I seriously want guys like DLH and Hopkins to retire so they can get the fuck outta the way...know what I mean?

but since you're asking me, I'll give my initial thoughts....

This is Pavlik's fight to win or lose...just like it was Calzaghe's....if he shows Hopkins too much respect, he CAN lose...but that's highly unlikely as Pavlik has shown he don't give a fuck who is opponent is...

I see Pavlik coming forward, throwing with bad intentions, and made to look silly at times....when he does land something big....Hopkins will tie him up, and they will start over....Pavlik will definitely be the top scorer of the two.......

Hopkins will land some nice counters, but he won't commit enough to really hurt Pavlik as it will leave him vulnerable to getting KOed himself....and Hopkins will do whatever it takes to not go out like that....

To sum up...I think this is an easy fight to make a pick....Hopkins doesn't have more than a 20% chance of winning....his activity and conditioning WILL be lacking once again, and Pavlik wins the bout clearly...8 to 4 or 7 to 5.
Tha Docta
anyone else thinking pavlik by controversial decision in this one??
caneman
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jul 17 2008, 10:13 PM) [snapback]396155[/snapback]

As much as I love Bernard, NOPE!!!
caneman
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jul 17 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]396153[/snapback]
Hey, cane...I have to tell ya.....I haven't really entertained the possibilities for this fight yet because I straight up don't like it....laugh.gif

I seriously want guys like DLH and Hopkins to retire so they can get the fuck outta the way...know what I mean?
but since you're asking me, I'll give my initial thoughts....
This is Pavlik's fight to win or lose...just like it was Calzaghe's....if he shows Hopkins too much respect, he CAN lose...but that's highly unlikely as Pavlik has shown he don't give a fuck who is opponent is...

I see Pavlik coming forward, throwing with bad intentions, and made to look silly at times....when he does land something big....Hopkins will tie him up, and they will start over....Pavlik will definitely be the top scorer of the two.......

Hopkins will land some nice counters, but he won't commit enough to really hurt Pavlik as it will leave him vulnerable to getting KOed himself....and Hopkins will do whatever it takes to not go out like that....
To sum up...I think this is an easy fight to make a pick....Hopkins doesn't have more than a 20% chance of winning....his activity and conditioning WILL be lacking once again, and Pavlik wins the bout clearly...8 to 4 or 7 to 5.

Sounds very close to a round by round to me CEO drinks.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
Hope it doesn't happen.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 17 2008, 11:33 PM) [snapback]396170[/snapback]
Hope it doesn't happen.

I'm with you on this one. I really hope it dont happen. But if he doesn Hopkins will not be knocked out or stopped.
Blayde
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jul 18 2008, 04:13 AM) [snapback]396155[/snapback]

Yeah I am ...

And I dont want that fight to happen. Pavlik should just stay at 160, make one defense as Abrahams beats Marquez and then we can have Pavlik vs. Abraham.
D-MARV
Bernard takes this one!!!!

Bad fight for Pavlik.
MarzB
Whomever said Nard gets Ko'ed needs their head examined. Show me any evidence you have of Nard taking tremendous punishment ever to where as he suddenly succumbs to a KO when he hasn't been knocked down in 13 years?

That said Nard should retire. Not becaues he can't win but its (yet again) contradicting everything he SAID he was going to do in his first retirement. Whatever happened to real estate, promotions (Golden Boy EAST anyone? Oh yeah you don't say that those Golden Boy positions are "TOKEN" spots do you??) seeing an orthodontist fuck.gif

I'm a huge fan of Nard but its time to put the gloves down but I see he'll forever be a fighter. Lets hope it doesn't get to a Saoul Mamby stage.

I'm amazed Bob Arum made this fight when he clearly made a statement about "let these old guys move along". I would have rather seen a Winky Wright fight but oh well.

To me it's a no win situation for either party. pavlik wins he beat a past his prime nard. Nard wins we still have to bear with him being an actual fighter that just can't let it go.

Sadly I see the latter. Nards defense is too tight and Pavlik while he has a great punch output rate, I can see Nard picking his spots effectively with him.

The thing is for Nard though he HAS to come and fight HIS best performance which means none of this 20 punches per round attempted bullschit. Yeah I'm a fan of clean effective punching but these last two efforts have taken the cake. He's making it hard for a guy like ME to make a justification that he's winning with this type of output.

Oh well another stupid ass PPV for HBO that'll do little numbers also.
buford54
Terrible fight for both fighters.
Pavlik will just look one dimensional and bad.
Hopkins won't do anything and will lose on inactivity again, then bitch about how he landed the cleaner shots.
Boring, bad fight. Please don't do it!
getup
Arum kills me....few weeks ago he says guys like Jones & Hopkins needed to get out of the way & retire. Now Arum goes ahead and makes the fight with Hopkins at 170? Ah the power of GB at HBO.

Interestingly, the Jones camp approached Arum about Pavlik after Kelly/Jermain II but they said Kelly was staying put at 160 for awhile.

At any rate, Hopkins takes this one easy as I don't think much of Kelly. His slow, one dimensional style will really be exposed.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(buford54 @ Jul 18 2008, 07:28 AM) [snapback]396209[/snapback]
Terrible fight for both fighters.
Pavlik will just look one dimensional and bad.
Hopkins won't do anything and will lose on inactivity again, then bitch about how he landed the cleaner shots.
Boring, bad fight. Please don't do it!

Sums up my feelings exactly!

Win, lose or draw this fight will do nothing to enhance either fighter's reputation. Fans will be pissed afterwards, and people will start talking about how this is what's wrong with boxing, etc...

Not to mention this makes 4 ppv's in a 6 week period for HBO.

thumbsdown_anim.gif
Chi-Town
It hurts me to say but a loss here and Hopkins officially becomes a "trial horse/gatekeeper" fighter should he continue his career
Method
Footwork and savvy skills, and I can see Hopkins taking a competitive UD or SD. Could also see him on the wrong end of one too, where he wins the fight but loses the dec (ala Cal, Taylor).

Sadly I see the latter. Nard's defense is too tight and Pavlik while he has a great punch output rate, I can see Nard picking his spots effectively with him.

Agreed.

If Hopkins is to lose here, Id rather see him KO'd as opposed to losing a close judgment call. Pavlik is the young, white HBO darling, and the industry will be looking for every opportunity to keep his 0.

PS - contrary to most, I think this is the best fight out there for Pav....and Hopkins too. Bernard is the best boxer Kelly will ever face.
Douchebag
Pavlik by ud via workrate and aggression. I'll be laying some dough on this one.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Method @ Jul 18 2008, 11:15 AM) [snapback]396228[/snapback]
PS - contrary to most, I think this is the best fight out there for Pav....and Hopkins too.

Really? When was the last time someone's stock went up after facing Hopkins? Only guy I can think of, sort of, is Oscar, and that was because everyone knew he had no business being in the ring with him in the first place.

I see this an almost certain lose-lose for Kelly. If he wins, it'll be controversial and he'll look like crap and people will say he was exposed. If he loses, he loses to an old man. The only way he can come out of this on top is to knock Benard out or dominate him, and I really can't see either of those things happening.

As for Nard, he'll most likely lose another decision off inactivity and complain about it afterwards. And we'll all come on here and debate it to no end.

This fight has unsatisfaction written all over it.
JD
At this point, I would rather see Hopkins in a farewell fight and be done with it.

I would prefer to see Pavlik defend his middleweight title this Fall on the same card as Abraham - Marquez in order to set up a showdown early next year.

Have Hopkins fight Trinidad at 170.
getup
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 18 2008, 04:27 PM) [snapback]396258[/snapback]
At this point, I would rather see Hopkins in a farewell fight and be done with it.

I would prefer to see Pavlik defend his middleweight title this Fall on the same card as Abraham - Marquez in order to set up a showdown early next year.

If Pavlik wins don't think he'll go back down to middleweight.
D-MARV
Benard Hopkins is already an All Time Great!!!!!, but a win for him does what to his legacy????

What do yall think?
King Eugene
If and when he wins it will just prove that he is still one of the best boxers all around no matter what his age and it will show that Pavlick isnt as good as everybody think he is but he is still good, just overhyped. It wont do much to Hopkins legacy but reitterate how good he truly is. But if Pavlick some how pull out a win or gets favored a decision it wont mean much cause it'll be an ugly fight and 80% of the world thinks he should win anyway. So in a way its kind of lose lose for him even if he wins and nothing but more money for Hopkins win or lose. But if he does lose (not by knockout) PLEASE RETIRE, hell if he wins PLEASE RETIRE. But who wants to go out with a lost....I wouldnt!
MarzB
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 18 2008, 04:00 PM) [snapback]396261[/snapback]
Benard Hopkins is already an All Time Great!!!!!, but a win for him does what to his legacy????

What do yall think?

Frankly NOTHING!.

Pavlik isn't established enough yet in the sportsworld let alone mainstream(outside of YOUNGSTOWN) for anyone to really give a hoot about this.

As far as the hard core boxing fans go, while most of us agree Pavlik he's good, what has he done beside beating Jermain Taylor in a fight where he's shown HUGE vulnerabilities??

Should he win, "he beat an old Hopkins".

But I gotta say this again. Whomever posted or subsequent post PLEASE stop posting this crap about PAVLIK's workrate will knock Hopkins out or be too much for Hopkins. Those of you that are saying that obviously don't know your boxing.

If Calazaghe's workrate was cut in HALF and he's probably the fastest fighter Hop fought in years, what makes you all (that say that) think that Pavlik is going to be able to UNLOAD on Hopkins??

"He punches harder than Calazaghe" and he's also OPEN as HELL when he does that too. Also Hopkins has dealt quite well with guys that hit harder than Pavlik.

My issue with the fight is Hopkins personally not wanting to leave the sport alone. HBO for even considering this a PPV (hopefully their brass will rethink this) and just boxing in general.

Why not ride the momentum wave and make a Abraham fight with Pavlik? If you were to do that and Hopkins faced the winner the fight might mean more (to me). All it is to me right now is the current flavor of the month against a craft agy veteran that still has something in the tank.

I honestly see the fight going generally like this. Pavlik tries to establish the jab, 'Nard slips it Pavlik pursues him and 'Nard dances around the ring like he did in Winky. He does an inside slip catches Pavlik with clean flush lead right hands and either holds or pivots off of him.

After a few rounds of this Pavlik is confused and not sure how he should change up, Nard lands clean occasional shots along with holding. So on and so on.

Everything thing good pavlik does we've seen Nard nullify that on fighters before. ONly HE and his lack of work rate can lose this fight..
caneman
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jul 18 2008, 03:57 PM) [snapback]396257[/snapback]
Really? When was the last time someone's stock went up after facing Hopkins? Only guy I can think of, sort of, is Oscar, and that was because everyone knew he had no business being in the ring with him in the first place.

I see this an almost certain lose-lose for Kelly. If he wins, it'll be controversial and he'll look like crap and people will say he was exposed. If he loses, he loses to an old man. The only way he can come out of this on top is to knock Benard out or dominate him, and I really can't see either of those things happening.

As for Nard, he'll most likely lose another decision off inactivity and complain about it afterwards. And we'll all come on here and debate it to no end.

This fight has unsatisfaction written all over it.

Sid Vanderpool and no one wanted to fight after that?!?!?!

For the record, I have X as top 20 in the last 75-100 years but he will loose to Pavlik on output alone IMO & it will great for Pavlik in the long run against guys like AA & beyond!
D-MARV
I agree with MarzB!!!!

Pavlik output will not be critical in this fight! He would not be active like he was when he fought JT. Bernard is simply to Sslick and counters well. Like I mentioned before! I think this is a very bad fight for Pavlik! BHOP has nothing to lose! If Pavlik does not KO Bhop then it would be a poor performance on his part.

Give me Bernard Hopkins by UD, 116-112 , 116-112, 115-113!
imperial
Hopkins by UD he is so disgusted with the Calzaghe fight he is going to really school th Ghost ! And if anyoen thinks that Pavlik KO s Hopkins I simply ask please put down the pipe!
King Eugene
QUOTE(imperial @ Jul 18 2008, 11:54 PM) [snapback]396297[/snapback]
Hopkins by UD he is so disgusted with the Calzaghe fight he is going to really school th Ghost ! And if anyoen thinks that Pavlik KO s Hopkins I simply ask please put down the pipe!

You couldnt have stated that any better!
Douchebag
I think that some of you guys are being a little delusional about B-Hop. The fact is this, It doesn't matter skilled or experienced a guy is he is not going to win if he takes half the fight off. Sad to say but that is who B-Hop IS at this point in his career.
buford54
Nobody thinks Pavlik will KO Hopkins. Hopkins is too slick to get knocked out by anyone.
Point is, it's a boring lose lose for Pavlik and it's really only a pseudo win for Hopkins.
If Kelly loses, he lost to an old man who is coming off of a loss.
If he wins, he beat an old man who is coming off of a loss.
Who cares?
If Hopkins wins, he just proves what everyone knows...that he is a stylistic nightmare for everyone and he has ridiculous skills even at 100 years old.
If he loses, he's just fought too many fights and can't pull the trigger anymore.

This would be the worst move possible by Pavlik's people. If he loses, nobody on earth is going to ever give him a fight again (like Winky). If he wins, who cares?
Either way, Hopkins will make it an ugly, ugly, boring fight. The judges will either give it to Pavlik on activity (Hopkins bitching about landing better shots all night), or to Hopkins on cleaner shots (boring).

I can't get over how bad of a fight this would be. On a related note, it gives Calzaghe the whole "see, I didn't need to fight Pavlik because he just lost to old man Popkins, who I just beat."

Big Slim Sweet
Really, is there anyone who wouldn't rather see Pavlik fight Calzaghe and Hopkins fight Jones? Those are the match-ups that make the most sense.
Method
Still think it's one of the best fights out there....but whatever.

I could see people being disgruntled with this if Hopkins fought like Holyfield, but he's still a fucking P4P'er, and I (and a numbof others ringside) had him winning his last 3 close decision losses.

Hopkins is still one of THEE most skilled out there, and its a great test for Pavlik, and a definitely winnable fight for Hopkins. Would be a great comeback win after being on the wrong end of that Calzaghe bullshit.

I think Hopkins should dump Roach as his chief trainer in there though. Freddie is not in it. He not right for Hopkins. Bernard should go back to Nazzim or Pat Burns. Maybe even a Floyd Sr. I like Roach, but he's not right for Hopkins....nor does he think he can beat Pavlik, so what's the point of having a guy like that?
Warlord
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 18 2008, 04:00 PM) [snapback]396261[/snapback]

I don't think this is about legacy for Hopkins, I think it's about getting some peace of mind at this point. Hopkins feels like he was robbed in his decision losses, a victim of the system that he's fought against for so long.

If Hopkins goes in and beats Pavlik, then he beats the guy who beat the guy who beat him. (In other words, I think Bernard probably feels that a win over Pavlik nullifies his own close decision losses to Jermain Taylor.)

And on down the road, if Roy Jones Jr. somehow pulls off a win over Joe Calzaghe, then it sets up a farewell fight between Hopkins/Jones, where Hopkins will have the chance to avenge one loss literally (Jones) and another symbolically (Calzaghe.)

Anyway, probably just a little bit of over-analyzation on my part, but it definitely seems possible. There's no other reason for Hopkins to be taking on Pavlik at this point.

As for you guys saying Pavlik and Hopkins had better options... naa. Pavlik has everything to gain by winning this fight. I could understand it if Hopkins had been getting blown out in fights, but he hasn't. Regardless of Hopkins's age or energy-conservastion mode of fighting, he's still a top-tier fighter capable of beating 95% of the guys he steps in the ring with. If Pavlik wins, he should get credit for it, no strings attached.

As for Hopkins, well, I've already pointed out what he gets from this fight. Honestly, where else could he have gone? To fight faggot-ass Chad Dawson? No. To heavyweight? Ridiculous. Joe Calzaghe doesn't want to dance again, so honestly, what are these "better options" you guys keep speaking of?

Props to Hopkins and Pavlik for taking a tough fight. We'll see what happens.
Warlord
QUOTE(Method @ Jul 19 2008, 06:14 PM) [snapback]396345[/snapback]
I think Hopkins should dump Roach as his chief trainer in there though. Freddie is not in it. He not right for Hopkins. Bernard should go back to Nazzim or Pat Burns. Maybe even a Floyd Sr. I like Roach, but he's not right for Hopkins....nor does he think he can beat Pavlik, so what's the point of having a guy like that?

I'd probably agree with dumping Roach. Stylistically I don't see how those two correlate. Hopkins isn't a puncher anymore. He's a ring general and a counter puncher now, something a little too subtle for Freddie. Freddie's a great trainer for punchers with a high work-rate.

I'd say no to Floyd Sr. too. He won't make Hopkins work the same way Burns or Nazzim would. He'd just sit in the corner saying, "Okay, now, gimme some more of dat... bbbbrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttt!"
WindyCityP
QUOTE(JD @ Jul 18 2008, 10:27 PM) [snapback]396258[/snapback]

Amen JD.

Keep the fights that matter and the so called "mega" fights separate please.
BoxingStill#1
Pavlik has no chance here......

He wont knock B-hop out.....

He wont win on the cards.....( unless its given to him....)

caneman
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Jul 19 2008, 11:58 PM) [snapback]396355[/snapback]
Pavlik has no chance here......

He wont knock B-hop out.....

He wont win on the cards.....( unless its given to him....)

so my man X wins throwing 20-25 punches per round? I love that fucker & don't believe that! Throwing 1 punch & hugging will not win you that fight! X don't even hardly throw a jab any more...it's a right & clinch! Yet he is gonna beat someone who throws 75-90 punches per round in that fashion?!?!?!?! And LMFAO @ anyone who thought X beat Calslappy...sure, no hugging & thorwing 10-15 more punches a round & X wins...
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't want to re visit the Calzaghe-Hopkins fight because it would take us into a whole different direction. But it has to be known that Hopkins would be facing the hardest puncher since he fought Echols. Pavlik may not be able to ko the cagey old man. Bu he'd stun him enough to have him running and clutching more than usual.
JD
Bernard is 43 - he cannot pull the trigger anymore. He can make you miss and avoid being hit clean, but he can no longer make you pay all night. Sure, early on he can put it on you if he chooses to, but he can no longer sustain a pace, and he can no longer exploit the holes like he used to. If he does mix it up, it is only in spurts due to the need to have something in the tank later in the fight.

And what can we expect, the guy is basically in his mid 40's.
rusty_trombone
this is the same old song and dance before every hopkins fight since he became oldy mchopkins. if hopkins has a workrate like he used to, he probably wins easy. unfortunately, he throws under 20 punches a round now, lands even less and just expects to win fights because the other guys don't land "clean".

Let me tell you how this fight will end, and it will be the same thing i said before the Zags fight, Pavlik wins but doesn't look great doing it, and Hopkins whines like a bitch after the fight because it will be another "robbery". He will then say the people know who won, and who the people's champ is and continue whining like a 4 year old girl. He will be classless in defeat yet again, and Method will then get on the board and try and convince the rest of us that we really didn't watch a guy get outworked and outhustled and outlanded all night, we watched hopkins give a legendary performance. Then some new poster will not realize that method thinks hopkins would beat zeus in a fight(with good footwork and his amazing ability to adapt like some sort of x-men character), try and debate him, and probably made look like a fool.

I can't wait. thumbsup_anim.gif
caneman
laugh.gif Sounds about right...you forgot the part about X saying look @ his face & look @ mine & tell me who won!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(caneman @ Jul 20 2008, 08:46 AM) [snapback]396379[/snapback]
laugh.gif Sounds about right...you forgot the part about X saying look @ his face & look @ mine & tell me who won!

Or how the great thing about people is that they have video cameras and they can tell who won the fight.
BoxingStill#1
this is the problem with any of Hopkins fights....NOBODY has ever CLEARLY BEATEN him......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.