Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Friday night fights
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kidbazooka1
Did anyone watch friday night fights? Yuriokis Gamboa scored a brutal one punch firts rd knock out over Al Seeger.

This kid may be ready for a title shot by the end of the year.

BigG
Impressive stuff from Gamboa...great talent
Mean Mister Mustard
The thing about Gamboa is that he doesn't show up with a plan. I mean against a guy like the one he beat yesterday he won't need one, but you saw what happened against Jimenez. He didn't look all that impressive, he merely relies on his talent and expects it to bail him out of any situation. I can see a good boxer keeping away with a solid jab. Anyway, Gamboa does not look invincible to me.
Chillmatic
It was a good, TV friendly KO by Gamboa, and all credit to him. He needed one after the comparatively lackluster performance that he turned in against Darling Jiminez. But lets keep it in perspective, that this guy Seeger had just come off two straight losses at 122 and got KO'ed by a 130 pounder. Call it expert matchmaking from a promoter who knew he needed to throw a few logs on the Gamboa wildfire.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Chillmatic @ Jul 20 2008, 12:22 AM) [snapback]396360[/snapback]
It was a good, TV friendly KO by Gamboa, and all credit to him. He needed one after the comparatively lackluster performance that he turned in against Darling Jiminez. But lets keep it in perspective, that this guy Seeger had just come off two straight losses at 122 and got KO'ed by a 130 pounder. Call it expert matchmaking from a promoter who knew he needed to throw a few logs on the Gamboa wildfire.

That's right, get in there against less than stellar fighters and he will knock them out and have them appear on the high light reel. It's like with Roy Jones, he was so talented he could look spectacular against guys like Sosa, Byrd and all of them but against solid opposition he went 12 boring rounds. Gamboa at least looks more entertaining, he throws more punches and has already been dropped twice. But he has no gameplan, like Jones Jr he neglects the body and showboats too much.
kidbazooka1
One thing that I did notice right from the start was that Gamboa was keeping his hands up unlike in the Jiminez fight.

I believe the kid is the real deal as long as he doesn't let things ge to his head I think he'll do big things in this sport.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Jul 20 2008, 12:53 AM) [snapback]396362[/snapback]
One thing that I did notice right from the start was that Gamboa was keeping his hands up unlike in the Jiminez fight.

I believe the kid is the real deal as long as he doesn't let things ge to his head I think he'll do big things in this sport.

I hope so too, he has the flash needed to bring in the big crowds.
BigG
Gamboas like a young Shane Mosley..
Blayde
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 20 2008, 07:26 AM) [snapback]396361[/snapback]
That's right, get in there against less than stellar fighters and he will knock them out and have them appear on the high light reel. It's like with Roy Jones, he was so talented he could look spectacular against guys like Sosa, Byrd and all of them but against solid opposition he went 12 boring rounds. Gamboa at least looks more entertaining, he throws more punches and has already been dropped twice. But he has no gameplan, like Jones Jr he neglects the body and showboats too much.

What was the other fight than the Jimenez one in which Gamboa was down? Ive followed his career pretty focused since his debut and I thought that was his only visit on the canvas!?

I also noticed him holding his hands up at the beginning of the Seeger fight, but I dont think he will really get used to that. He said thats always been his flaw since the amateur days and I cant imagine he will be able to get that fixed at this point of his career. But alright, that doesnt make him less exciting.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Blayde @ Jul 21 2008, 07:19 AM) [snapback]396484[/snapback]
What was the other fight than the Jimenez one in which Gamboa was down? Ive followed his career pretty focused since his debut and I thought that was his only visit on the canvas!?

I also noticed him holding his hands up at the beginning of the Seeger fight, but I dont think he will really get used to that. He said thats always been his flaw since the amateur days and I cant imagine he will be able to get that fixed at this point of his career. But alright, that doesnt make him less exciting.

He gto dropped by some Brazilian guy. It was more of a slip but the ref counted it as a kd. If he would have had his ahnds up though, he wouldn't have given the impression that he got caught. I think with his quickness he can afford to keep em down, that being said it still increases the probability he'll get caught.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 21 2008, 09:01 AM) [snapback]396488[/snapback]
He gto dropped by some Brazilian guy. It was more of a slip but the ref counted it as a kd. If he would have had his ahnds up though, he wouldn't have given the impression that he got caught. I think with his quickness he can afford to keep em down, that being said it still increases the probability he'll get caught.

I seen that fight that was more of a slip than a KD.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.