Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calzaghe injures hand....Jones superfight postponed!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
getup

Just posted elsewhere, a pissed off Jones relayed that Calzaghe apparently hurt his hand so the fight is postponed until at least November. Is Joe playing games? Is he having second thoughts, or perhaps the legal battle with Warren is coming into play or maybe Golden Boy is getting in his ear as has been rumored. Thoughts guys?
FenderDG3
Source??

EDIT:
Did you get this from the mouth of G. Leon? If so I don't know whether to believe it or not.
D-MARV
QUOTE(getup @ Jul 21 2008, 10:59 PM) [snapback]396593[/snapback]
Just posted elsewhere, a pissed off Jones relayed that Calzaghe apparently hurt his hand so the fight is postponed until at least November. Is Joe playing games? Is he having second thoughts, or perhaps the legal battle with Warren is coming into play or maybe Golden Boy is getting in his ear as has been rumored. Thoughts guys?

Calzaghe is running scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

BITCH!

On the real though, whats up with this dude backing out of fights! He is almost as bad as Vitaly Klit!
getup
QUOTE(getup @ Jul 21 2008, 10:59 PM) [snapback]396593[/snapback]

Leon's reporting it....apparently talked to Roy. I assume it's accurate.

Don't really know what to make of it...maybe Joe legitimately hurt his hand...I think the fight will still happen but will it happen in November? They wanted to avoid clashing with the Hatton event in Nov (hard for UK fans to travel twice within weeks). I just have some strange suspicion that GoldenBoy is laying their greasy fingers into the mix....and I can only imagine how much Roy would love that.
King Eugene
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........please say it aint so!

If so it just killed all my plans. I planned on showing that fight at my birthday party! DAMN THEY KILLING ME!!!
caneman
Glencoffee Johnson is available & would love a good payday vs Old Roy....switch names Roy(for a bit less $$$ granted),I dare you!
caneman
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 22 2008, 12:43 AM) [snapback]396627[/snapback]
Look on the bright side. Your party can now end on a high.

laugh.gif that too!
Warlord
Calzaghe has a history of brittle hands, in the same vein as Floyd Mayweather and Oscar De La Hoya. If he doesn't break them in training, he generally breaks them in fights. That's just the way it is. If he didn't puss out against Hopkins, why would he puss out against a faded Roy Jones?

Let's get real. This fight will happen, just later than anticipated. If it doesn't, it won't be because either fighter is scared.
U.S. Champ
Joe's heart pumps Kool Aid with a diabetic amount of sugar, Enzo probably convinced him that he was risking his life messin with Roy. Must've had a dream about that Violent KO.
caneman
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Jul 22 2008, 01:02 AM) [snapback]396632[/snapback]
Joe's heart pumps Kool Aid with a diabetic amount of sugar, Enzo probably convinced him that he was risking his life messin with Roy. Must've had a dream about that Violent KO.

Oh please, have Roy fight Glen Johnson again & then we can talk about "Must've had a dream about that Violent KO"...remember that night? The guy mopping up the canvas said Roy, could you roll over so I can mop this side of the canvas before my kids go to school? You know this!!!>>>
King Eugene
So much hate in the room for ROY!!! WOW. He must have beat your favorite fighters.........BAD!!!
U.S. Champ
[quote name='caneman' date='Jul 22 2008, 12:20 AM' post='396634']
Oh please, have Roy fight Glen Johnson again & then we can talk about "Must've had a dream about that Violent KO"
[/quo
That's a great excuse for a fighter who backed out of two! fights against the same fighter and wouldn't go near him, himself referring to Calslappy so stop name droppin Glen cause he would definitely drop Joe And Roy will Violently KO the man if they Ever step in the ring. I'll put a years salary on it
caneman
He ain't never beat my favorite bad...it ain't him, it's still his fans for me taunt.gif

U.S. Champ
Where's that Calslappy versus Glen Johnson footage Oops my bad He publicly ducked the man and he's got a Restraining order against Tarver. Anybody with a slight chance of knocking out Joe gets his match postponed or canceled due to a Slap boxing hand injury. Roy will destroy the man just face it Violent KO is my prediction so should be yours.
caneman
fvck that, I'd rather see a slappy hoe win then listen to Roy's fans all over again & that's why I want Roy to fight Johnson...that man is hungry & MIGHT fvck up Roy & calsappy just to feed his family! Add to that, Johnson actually deserves the payday rolleyes.gif
D-MARV
Well, let's not turn this into another Roy Hatred thread!!!!

I know Calzaghe is no bitch! I assume you guys didn't take my sarcasm very well! No one is scared to fight the other one. Im a little upset that we have to wait but oh well.

Come on Fitz, Journeymen? Really?

James Toney
Antonio Tarver
Mike McCallum
Clinton Woods

were these guys really journeymen?

Calzaghe's resume is more painted than Roy's!!!!!! LOL
Maxy
I still think the fight will happen but it's not something I'm all that bothered about in any case. If Jones beats Calzaghe it gives Roy more bragging rights and gives the Calzaghe haters all the ammunition they would need to verbally annihilate him. If Calzaghe wins he beats an old shot fighter. Makes no big deal.

It's no-win for Joe and makes no sense to me apart from (which is obviously the only reason the fight is happening), Roy's name being on his resume.

I've never been a fan of Joe but the hand injury is most likely legit and the fight will most likely go ahead at a later date.

sleeping_03anim.gif
getup

A guy on another board who knows Jones & others in Pcola offered some very interesting insight. Here are few excerpts:

"Big Al said Roy has lost all respect he had for Joe. Joe's hand isn't hurt he needs more time to put on weight and get in the proper shape Roy is in. Roy is PISSED beyond words. He went on to kill the mitts trainers hands were swollen like ballons and had to dip them in ice."

" 'Train & put on weight'. That was the excuse as of today, I just got home about 2hrs ago. That is Joe's excuse, don't ask me. Roy's said Joe seen what kind of shape he was in then decided to postpone the fight. THAT's why Roy's pissed off."

"The fight is OFF as of now(MAYBE Nov). This cancellation on behalf of Cal created an entire shitstorm. They may not even be able to finalize MSG again, who knows right now it took a lot just to finalize, now Joe C "cant properly gain weight and train in time". Roy's running with the 'injury' story, but is f*cking PISSED....you dont realize what it take to finalize between camps, get MSG for Sept date, prepare you regimen, routine, book flights, everything. Then one guy call in sick 2 months ahead of time".

"I was there yesterday afternoon when this shit went down. Let me explain. Roy and Joe were good friends. Roy would have NO reason to be upset/mad/pissed at Joe if he had a legit hand injury, that happens all the time. A broken hand, that may set the fight back. An injured hand can be taken care of in time, or just fought with. Roy needs this fight, he went over to the UK and did a lot of work getting this fight made. So yes Roy is "running" with the injury story so Joe can get it together, he threw in the "Im pissed" because the "injury" story is not legit and he dont like what Joe is doing."
Tha Docta
why would it be so hard for joe to put on weight when he just fought hopkins. forget what the agreed weight was for that one though.
Method
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........please say it aint so!

If so it just killed all my plans. I planned on showing that fight at my birthday party! DAMN THEY KILLING ME!!!

Party of one?

Question - Does PCola come in 12 oz cans?
FenderDG3
Getup, I just saw a segment about it the postponement on ESPN which obviously confirms it... wasn't trying to be a dick when I was asking for a source of if G. Leon was reporting it so I'm sorry if it came off that way.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(Fitz @ Jul 22 2008, 12:43 AM) [snapback]396627[/snapback]
Look on the bright side. Your party can now end on a high.

funny shit...
getup
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Jul 22 2008, 04:44 PM) [snapback]396718[/snapback]
why would it be so hard for joe to put on weight when he just fought hopkins. forget what the agreed weight was for that one though.

Joe also fought Bernard at 175, so not sure myself what he meant exactly. I think implication was notion that Joe supposedly feels the need to have more time to prepare (build up & get strong, not just lose weight) after seeing recently that Roy's conditioning may be further along than his.

At end of day, I think the feeling of anger stems from position that unless the hand is broken why would there be a move to postpone when the fight is still 2 months away...fighters hurt their hands in training all the time.

Anyways, I hope it's legit & I hope they still fight (this year).
getup
QUOTE(FenderDG3 @ Jul 22 2008, 05:39 PM) [snapback]396724[/snapback]
Getup, I just a segment about it the postponement on ESPN which obviously confirms it... wasn't trying to be a dick when I was asking for a source of if G. Leon was reporting it so I'm sorry if it came off that way.

No prob, didn't take offence at all.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(getup @ Jul 22 2008, 07:04 PM) [snapback]396744[/snapback]
At end of day, I think the feeling of anger stems from position that unless the hand is broken why would there be a move to postpone when the fight is still 2 months away...fighters hurt their hands in training all the time.

I think it's definitely suspicious, and indicates to me that this fight may be off for good, which I personally would be okay with.

Now let's scrap Pavlik-Hopkins as well and make Jones-Hopkins 2.
Maxy
The fight will most likely be scheduled for November at MSG. Calzaghe has been advised to rest his hand for 3 weeks before he can return to training.

John Wirt of Square Ring, Jones' promotional company, believes that they can use the postponement to their advantage. “Roy is disappointed, but he’s looking forward to the fight being rescheduled,” he stated.

“We’re all disappointed because we were looking forward to going on the press tour next week.

”But this may be a blessing in disguise because it gives us more time to promote the fight. We were under the gun putting everything together quickly.”
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Maxy @ Jul 23 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]396819[/snapback]
The fight will most likely be scheduled for November at MSG. Calzaghe has been advised to rest his hand for 3 weeks before he can return to training.

John Wirt of Square Ring, Jones' promotional company, believes that they can use the postponement to their advantage. “Roy is disappointed, but he’s looking forward to the fight being rescheduled,” he stated.

“We’re all disappointed because we were looking forward to going on the press tour next week.

”But this may be a blessing in disguise because it gives us more time to promote the fight. We were under the gun putting everything together quickly.”

since when has square ring promoted shit for their fights? they just hand the reigns to hbo and sit on their asses.
dj necrogenic
This fight is going to be an even harder sell now considering that its going to take place 2 weeks after Pavlik/Hopkins... Nobody wants to buy both PPV's so close together... horrible decision to continue on making this a PPV fight, who is going to be on the undercard? Derrick Gainer?
Tha Docta
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Jul 23 2008, 04:34 PM) [snapback]396821[/snapback]
This fight is going to be an even harder sell now considering that its going to take place 2 weeks after Pavlik/Hopkins... Nobody wants to buy both PPV's so close together... horrible decision to continue on making this a PPV fight, who is going to be on the undercard? Derrick Gainer?

i would rather watch calzaghe vs jones than hops vs pavlik. but thats just me. pavlik vs hops has stinker written all over it. actually, hops vs anyone has stinker written all over it at this point in his career.
getup
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Jul 23 2008, 04:34 PM) [snapback]396821[/snapback]

Calzaghe/Jones will garner much more attention than Pavlik/Hopkins(which should be on WCB).

The scheduled Hatton fight in November however, may have an effect as far as dividing UK travelers. WRT UK PPV buys, not sure how both fights are proposed to be shown there...anybody know?
Maxy
QUOTE(getup @ Jul 23 2008, 04:44 PM) [snapback]396828[/snapback]
The scheduled Hatton fight in November however, may have an effect as far as dividing UK travelers. WRT UK PPV buys, not sure how both fights are proposed to be shown there...anybody know?

Over here Hatton will be PPV but the Calzaghe fight will be shown live on Setanta which is a subscription channel. As far as travelling fans are concerned there will be a few hardcore supporters who'll watch both, I'm sure.

The Welsh will go see Calzaghe and the English will opt for the Hatton fight if they can't see both.
getup
QUOTE(Maxy @ Jul 24 2008, 09:16 AM) [snapback]396889[/snapback]
Over here Hatton will be PPV but the Calzaghe fight will be shown live on Setanta which is a subscription channel. As far as travelling fans are concerned there will be a few hardcore supporters who'll watch both, I'm sure.

The Welsh will go see Calzaghe and the English will opt for the Hatton fight if they can't see both.

Are you sure about Calzaghe and Setanta? I thought the TV deal was made with Frank Warren....just wondering if the split affects anything.
Maxy
QUOTE(getup @ Jul 24 2008, 12:33 PM) [snapback]396918[/snapback]
Are you sure about Calzaghe and Setanta? I thought the TV deal was made with Frank Warren....just wondering if the split affects anything.

No you're right, I'm not sure if the split with Warren affects the deal with Setanta. Prior to the split Setanta continously stated that they had exclusive live rights to Joe's fights, but now....hmmm...not sure.
clippers19901
Sounds suspect to me. Sounds like Calzaghe needs more time to train and Roy was already to go, but who knows.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(clippers19901 @ Jul 24 2008, 10:24 PM) [snapback]396966[/snapback]
Sounds suspect to me. Sounds like Calzaghe needs more time to train and Roy was already to go, but who knows.

Calzaghe has no reson to fear Jones.

Jones can't punch for shit anymore and has no legs.
caneman
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Jul 25 2008, 12:04 PM) [snapback]396998[/snapback]
Calzaghe has no reson to fear Jones.
Jones can't punch for shit anymore and has no legs.

Exactly right, I don't know what some of these guys are talking about! But as far as real power goes, RJJ has nothing to fear either!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.