Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hardest Puncher of All Time...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
who do you think was the hardest puncher of all time?

Discuss
BigG
Foreman, Shavers, Julian Jackson
Nay_Sayer
Julian Jackson, Thomas Hearns.
HaydelHammer
The Second Bald Bull, Sandman, Balrog and probably E. Apollo from Ring King.

in any order.
Don the Jewla
In other words, who would you least like to get hit in the face by. And the answer to that my friends is: Lennox Lewis. He nearly decapitated poor Mr. Hasim Rahman.

Honorable mention to Shavers, Foreman and Mike Tyson.
King Eugene
one perso I would not want to hit me in their prime...hell even now is good ol Mike Tyson! he was hard has hell and half the time you never seen them coming!
kidbazooka1
p4p Ray Robinson, Wilfrdo Gomez, Ruben Olivares, Carlos Zarate, Edwin Rosario, Joe louis
Boxingjunkie
Without a doubt Joe Calzaghe..... Oh my bad wrong category.

Probably all that have been mentioned would qualify.
CreDog
And the winner is Paulie "The Fragile Hands" Malinaggi!

On a serious note.. Foreman.

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(HaydelHammer @ Jul 25 2008, 02:00 PM) [snapback]397024[/snapback]
Balrog

Balrog laugh.gif

Hold back and then forward and punch together....bet Mayweather don't teach that!

Out of all the punches I've seen, the one's I'd LEAST like to be hit with are;

Marciano's 'Suzy Q' against Wallcott.

Lewis' big right hand against Rahman.

Julian Jackson (I think?) against Herol Graham...that big left hook that left him dribbling on the canvas.
BoxingStill#1
pualie malinaggi........lol,... no really forman..
Romulus9
Agree with an earlier post: Foreman, Shavers, Julian Jackson. Mugabi may be in there somewhere too. Honorable mention to Willie Pep and Reggie Strickland.
Warlord
Probably Foreman. He really had no effective method of delivery, he just sort of clubbed you with what seemed to be a lazy-ass punch, until you saw a motherfucker go to the canvas in convulsions. Joe Frazier was nearly decapitated, stumbling around the ring drooling like an infantile retard and shit.

Tyson hit hard, but he also had some ungodly speed to back it up. But just off pure power, I think he pales in comparison to true punchers like Shavers, Foreman, and Rocky Marciano. Those clean shots Tyson was catching Danny Williams (westside) and Kevin McBride with would've been lethal from the Tyson we all knew and loved in the 80s. Now they're just the dying whiffs from an old man looking for a payday.

Pound for pound, again, you probably gotta go back to some pure brawlers to find the hardest punchers. Terry Norris had some good power, Roberto Duran had excellent power, and Felix Trinidad as well (especially when he was sporting those illegal wraps.)

On a side-note, though it tends to get over-rated by most, I think Ricardo Mayorga had some pretty good power at 147. You gotta consider, with those windmill shots he was throwing, he had to lose alot of steam off those punches before actually connecting, and even then they were some pretty heavy shots.

It's almost impossible to guage accurately the power of a KO artist who put his punches together like Joe Louis, because very often they were hitting you with multiple shots, each as well placed as the other. It's very different from gorillas like Sam Peter and David Tua, who throw one punch at a time, never trying to do anything more than hit you with that one, sweet knockout punch.

This post is all over the map, and I'll just finish it by saying Jack Dempsey should probably be right up there with the all-time P4P punchers. He could put you out with one punch, or with a series of punches. The beating he put on Jess Willard has gone down in boxing lore as one of the most brutal beatings in the history of the sport.
stateofthegame
I'd agree with Julian Jackson. He was the first guy that came to mind when I read the question.
WindyCityP
The Hawk Jackson!!! ........I mean in my era there should be no doubt. That KO power that skinny little fuck would produce was unbelievable.
Snowsy
Shavers is a great call here, as is Jackson, et al including Dempsey who I'm not sure was mentioned. The one guy in the true "modern era" who could turn a bad fight around in a single punch was Corrales.
U.S. Champ
Marciano, Foreman, Tyson and Hearns in any order. Do you guys remember the shot hearns caught Duran with I thought he killed Roberto the way his neck twisted.
WindyCityP
Do you guys remember the shot hearns caught Duran with I thought he killed Roberto the way his neck twisted.

No it was all a nightmare from what my father told me. You had the same one?.................................I have seen this KO many of times and it is brutal each and everytime. sad.gif Probably as brutal as when Phillips KO'd Kostya and Moscow vomited and shit at the same time.
Warlord
QUOTE(Snowsy @ Jul 26 2008, 12:02 AM) [snapback]397089[/snapback]
Shavers is a great call here, as is Jackson, et al including Dempsey who I'm not sure was mentioned. The one guy in the true "modern era" who could turn a bad fight around in a single punch was Corrales.

I mentioned Demspey, and glad to see I'm not alone.
caneman
People have brought up some really great punchers in here but P4P wise I have to say Julian Jackson. I seen this interview where he was asked if he knew when he landed a punch that would end a fight & he said when he landed a punch & felt a tingle that was followed but an almost shock feeling, he knew it was over every time! Hell Terry Norris had a good chin & & The Hawk put him to sleep with 1 punch, not that the 2 or 3 after that didn't help! lol! http://youtube.com/watch?v=uNXWYM-L2LA&fmt=18 Oh yea guys,if you are watching a video on youtube & you add "&fmt=18" @ the end of the URL it is in better quality!

Gerald Mc Cleean was a VERY underrated heavy handed fighter that could punch very hard! Don't believe me>>>>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=LRfR3iy20wA&...ated&fmt=18
TheWhiteBuffalo
It seems as though you peeps forget that Mike Tyson tried to break this man's arm because the punches were devastating....

You also seem to forget that this fighter has crippled more people than polio......

Lastly, you seem to forget that this fighter is REQUIRED to announce his power shots with a "war cry" or else risk having his athletic license taken away.......

Francois Botha. Period. End of discussion.
D-MARV
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Jul 26 2008, 02:35 PM) [snapback]397131[/snapback]
It seems as though you peeps forget that Mike Tyson tried to break this man's arm because the punches were devastating....

You also seem to forget that this fighter has crippled more people than polio......

Lastly, you seem to forget that this fighter is REQUIRED to announce his power shots with a "war cry" or else risk having his athletic license taken away.......

Francois Botha. Period. End of discussion.

LOL... That's great man!
yesindeed
this is a very controversial topic but im going to make my pics anyway and they are going to be in order of weight class.

135lbs= Mosely
140lbs= Tszyu
147lbs= Trinidad/Hearns (they would have made a spectactular fight also)
154lbs= Julian Jackson
160lbs= Julian Jackson
168lbs= Jeff Lacey
175lbs= Michael Moorer
Cruiserweight= David Haye
Heavyweight= Tyson

U won't see any 1930s guys on my list and the reason is if I haven't seen them fight enough I don't rank them. In other words the guys I have selected are pretty much of my time. I also did not go off of one punch and the guy is in the hospital I went off of being able to change the fight with one punch any round at any time.
basicjab
QUOTE(caneman @ Jul 26 2008, 12:35 PM) [snapback]397100[/snapback]
People have brought up some really great punchers in here but P4P wise I have to say Julian Jackson. I seen this interview where he was asked if he knew when he landed a punch that would end a fight & he said when he landed a punch & felt a tingle that was followed but an almost shock feeling, he knew it was over every time! Hell Terry Norris had a good chin & & The Hawk put him to sleep with 1 punch, not that the 2 or 3 after that didn't help! lol! http://youtube.com/watch?v=uNXWYM-L2LA&fmt=18 Oh yea guys,if you are watching a video on youtube & you add "&fmt=18" @ the end of the URL it is in better quality!
Gerald Mc Cleean was a VERY underrated heavy handed fighter that could punch very hard! Don't believe me>>>>> http://youtube.com/watch?v=LRfR3iy20wA&...ated&fmt=18

Don't like the guy much as a person but yeah, Gerald McClellan was probably the top 3 biggest punchers of all time.
rusty_trombone
I'm gonna have to go biblical on this shit:

1. Chuck Norris
1a. Jesus
2. whoever fucked up sodom and gomorrah
3. samuel l. jackson
caneman
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jul 26 2008, 04:20 PM) [snapback]397154[/snapback]
I'm gonna have to go biblical on this shit:

1. Chuck Norris
1a. Jesus
2. whoever fucked up sodom and gomorrah
3. samuel l. jackson

I was hoping to hear a real answer you thumbsdown_anim.gif
WindyCityP
Nigel Benn was a huge puncher as well
STEVENSKI
There have been some massive punchers in the history of boxing & I feel that way too much emphasis is placed on modern post 1960's fighters. Guys like Ketchel & Wilde from the early 1900's had serious pop in their shots & then some. This is way too subjective but props must be given to the early 20th centuary guys IMO.

I would say Wilde may be the hardest puncher P4P in history when all is said & done.

Lewis & Foreman may be the two biggest hitters overall though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.