Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto/Margarito each weigh-in at 147
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
FenderDG3
Both guys looked fit and ready to go. Also, did anybody else think Margo looked taller than the 4 inch advantage the offical tale of the tape says he has over Cotto??
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(FenderDG3 @ Jul 25 2008, 04:50 PM) [snapback]397042[/snapback]
Both guys looked fit and ready to go. Also, did anybody else think Margo looked taller than the 4 inch advantage the offical tale of the tape says he has over Cotto??

Damn it! I missed the weigh-in.

Margarito is listed at 5-11 right? Against Williams he looked much smaller which made me think he may not be 5-11. But now that you say he lookedtaller I think maybe it was Williams who is taller than he says he is.
FenderDG3
MMM, you're correct. Margarito is listed at 5'11" and Cotto is listed at 5'7", but to me it looked like he was easily 6 or 7 inches taller than Cotto.
BoxingStill#1
cotto actually looked a bit dry to me......

margo does have entirly too much of an advantage in hieght,......pending on how well Cotto can do this may be a decent show case for a Willims fight.....(in terms of hieght)....
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Jul 25 2008, 05:03 PM) [snapback]397045[/snapback]
cotto actually looked a bit dry to me......

margo does have entirly too much of an advantage in hieght,......pending on how well Cotto can do this may be a decent show case for a Willims fight.....(in terms of hieght)....

He looked dry? Godamn, I can't imagine Cotto at 154 fighting big guys like Santos. Imagine that, Santos made Margarito look small, imagine what Cotto would look like.
dbdbdb
The video is on: hxxp://video.aol.com/video-detail/cotto-vs-margarito-weigh-in/2141016486

Both looked drained ......... and AM is a giant standing standing next to Cotto.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 25 2008, 05:53 PM) [snapback]397043[/snapback]
Damn it! I missed the weigh-in.

Margarito is listed at 5-11 right? Against Williams he looked much smaller which made me think he may not be 5-11. But now that you say he lookedtaller I think maybe it was Williams who is taller than he says he is.

paul is a pretty tall mofo though. on the + side of 6"2 i'd say really easily.

looking like chad johnson. LOL
Snoop
where's JD at with the pics???
caneman
scroll down & it's on the left...weigh in pics that is! http://sports.yahoo.com/box;_ylt=AvDla1XO_...EmR04LHG1g5nYcB
Mean Mister Mustard
Is it me or does Margarito have a boner?

caneman
OK y'all, found the weigh in taped...not great quality but here it is! http://youtube.com/watch?v=EeWwUwms1os&fmt=18
D-MARV
Just got back from the weigh-in and DAMN I'm hyped for this fight! The people here are nuts!!!!!!! I must say the Puerto Ricans have the Mexicans outnumbered. Both fighters looked fit in my opinion... If anyone looked drained it was Cotto.

By the way... Ran into Jorge Arce, JuanMA, and Max Kellerman, all three were classy guys!!!!!!
The CEO
That's reeaal cool, bro......and look at ya....reporting on the atmosphere and starting threads from Ground Zero....

thumbsup_anim.gif
kidbazooka1
Damn im pumped this sh*t is gonna be a war. Cheers for both of these guys on taking this fight and make the best man win.
salvador
THat size differential is the reason Floyd never fought Margarito. I've been leaning towards Tony from the beginning, but I've never been more confident than I am right now after that weigh in.
salvador
After seeing those pics, I threw another $340 on Marg for a total of $500. It's by far the biggest bet I've ever made on any sporting event. I can't believe the odds on this are now +205 for Marg!!!!
Snowsy
I'm excited for this fight, but won't be watching it. I'm taking the $50, will wait for you nuts to drag down the odds by betting on Margarito, then placing that money plus a few more of my hard earneds on Cotto by decision.

There is just no way I can buy a PPV with one only one real fight. The rest of that card is ESPN quality... this PPV thing is getting sickening.
Mean Mister Mustard
Anyone else notice Margartio doesn't look as cut as usual?
salvador
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 26 2008, 11:40 AM) [snapback]397106[/snapback]

He looks thin to me. Both guys looked like they had tought times making weight.
The CEO
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 26 2008, 11:40 AM) [snapback]397106[/snapback]

I noticed that he lost the staredown.
caneman
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jul 26 2008, 11:48 AM) [snapback]397110[/snapback]

How do you figure that or why do you think so? I mean if it's like an "ICECUBE MEAN MUGGING CONTEST", then kinda, maybe, but either guy looked scared or ready to run away! lol! This is going to be a great night.
The CEO
lol....oh...it was a good staredown....but Margarito was blinking more and turned away first....that's the rules.
The CEO
Don't let it worry ya, Sal...laugh.gif
caneman
oh ok, I got it now...you ain't supposed to blink & be a human during stare downs thumbsup_anim.gif & I thought for sure it was that Icecube thing dntknw.gif
The CEO
All I know is....Cotto was shooting ice cold lasers through Marg's eyes and out the back of his head.....
caneman
Oh Cotto can stare down very well...imagine if he didn't wax his eye brows...he'd be twice as intimidating! rolleyes.gif that uni-brow would be scary as fvck! lol!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(caneman @ Jul 26 2008, 11:00 AM) [snapback]397111[/snapback]
How do you figure that or why do you think so? I mean if it's like an "ICECUBE MEAN MUGGING CONTEST", then kinda, maybe, but either guy looked scared or ready to run away! lol! This is going to be a great night.

Yeah they undecard looks shitty on paper but it might deliver in the ring. Kinda like the Pacquiao-Diaz one.
salvador
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jul 26 2008, 12:07 PM) [snapback]397113[/snapback]
Don't let it worry ya, Sal...laugh.gif

I'll tell ya, as much as I love Margarito, I've been a little on the fence watching the reruns of the Cotto-Mosley fight just because Cotto looked so fast in it. But that weigh in was all I needed to see to get my mind straight. Cotto's just too small for Tony.

And I actually thought Marg was playin' possum in that staredown, trying to downplay his massive height advantage - kind of slouched over so it wouldn't be so intimidating for Cotto. biggrin.gif

Big Slim Sweet
Sal, if Margarito wins tonight I think tomorrow should be Salvador Appreciation Day here at fighthype. No one has stood by Tony and duked it out with so many other posters through the months and years as you. And you've always stayed above the belt with the guys you were debating.

Like Margarito, you've truly earned your shot at glory tonight. Best of luck to both of you. drinks.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
This fight is a bit of a problem for me. I like to root for both guys. Plus I also have to think which one of these guys is going to give PBF a better shot at losing. Margarito would be a tough fight but he's too slow. Cotto is a more complete fighter, he can box, has speed and power. So that is one of the reason why I would want Cotto to win.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jul 26 2008, 11:48 AM) [snapback]397110[/snapback]

Damn, if I wish there were odds on stare downs.
The CEO
QUOTE(salvador @ Jul 26 2008, 12:54 PM) [snapback]397119[/snapback]
And I actually thought Marg was playin' possum in that staredown, trying to downplay his massive height advantage - kind of slouched over so it wouldn't be so intimidating for Cotto. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

That's a good one....I like that...

QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jul 26 2008, 02:31 PM) [snapback]397130[/snapback]
Sal, if Margarito wins tonight I think tomorrow should be Salvador Appreciation Day here at fighthype. No one has stood by Tony and duked it out with so many other posters through the months and years as you. And you've always stayed above the belt with the guys you were debating.

Like Margarito, you've truly earned your shot at glory tonight. Best of luck to both of you. drinks.gif

and I agree....Sal is probably the classiest Marg superfan I've ever seen....and there's only a handful that are classy or cool at all....it should be his day if Marg wins.

I just gotta stir it up sometimes....I like action....you know how it is....
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jul 26 2008, 02:53 PM) [snapback]397136[/snapback]
and I agree....Sal is probably the classiest Marg superfan I've ever seen....and there's only a handful that are classy or cool at all....it should be his day if Marg wins.

I just gotta stir it up sometimes....I like action....you know how it is....

I'm gonna stick with "fuck margarito"
MarzB
My prediction is this fight ain't hardly worth $49.95 but Cotto 116-112 with Cotto having gone down at some point.

I think Cotto wins because after he trades and gets hit flush and goes down, he'll realize he'll need to box and he'll break Marg down from the body Up. He'll go southpaw a few times just to give Marg a different look and land flush jabs. Very similar to what he did against Zab Judah.

The CEO
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jul 26 2008, 03:16 PM) [snapback]397142[/snapback]
I'm gonna stick with "fuck margarito"

laugh.gif

You know I would be going "fuck margarito" all the way too if his typical fans were in here mouthing off....but they're all on those big, A.D.D boards acting a fool right now....

I think they know to stay away from here....lol....that is....unless Marg wins tonight.

ohmy.gif

Some of you might not agree with me....but I honestly believe a Cotto win is better for Boxing AND the FH forum.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(MarzB @ Jul 26 2008, 03:31 PM) [snapback]397146[/snapback]
My prediction is this fight ain't hardly worth $49.95 but Cotto 116-112 with Cotto having gone down at some point.

I think Cotto wins because after he trades and gets hit flush and goes down, he'll realize he'll need to box and he'll break Marg down from the body Up. He'll go southpaw a few times just to give Marg a different look and land flush jabs. Very similar to what he did against Zab Judah.

If Cotto goes down, Margarito will finish him. Margarito aint Torres or Corley. He's bigger and a great finisher...
caneman
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jul 26 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]397155[/snapback]
If Cotto goes down, Margarito will finish him. Margarito aint Torres or Corley. He's bigger and a great finisher...

I agree with this plus just have a feeling Cotto won't handle the pressure or the power!!! Marg by TKO inside of 10 rounds with both guys being beat up & bloody!
rusty_trombone
all these people with the late picks for margarito. there must be some shit in the water this morning, like booze or heroin. where were these picks in the lead up? sounds like people scared to make their picks and defend their choice to go with the dark side.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jul 26 2008, 04:22 PM) [snapback]397155[/snapback]

I'd be a good finisher also, if i fought the special olympians of the welterweight division, like tony
The CEO
Guys....guys....let me get serious for a moment....as far as Boxing history goes....what normally happens when the shorter, but NOTICEABLY better, boxer goes against a taller, punching machine type fighter?

Then let's add that the shorter boxer is faster with straight punches and power of his own....and the taller fighter's power punches are wide or loopy....

Then let's add that the shorter boxer has an above average defense...and the the taller fighter leaves himself susceptible to good shots.

Then let's add that the shorter boxer has multiple styles....while the taller fighter pretty much only has one...

and finally...let's add that the taller fighter doesn't even take advantage of his size and reach...by not utilizing the jab.

Yes....there are intangibles....and Margarito CAN win with those....but I'm tellin' ya....the height advantage doesn't mean shit in this particular scenario....Marg has the better chin and an uppercut waiting for Cotto....but that's about it......

Their hearts are the same....their conditioning is the same....and the boxer beats the fighter.
caneman
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jul 26 2008, 05:04 PM) [snapback]397165[/snapback]
Guys....guys....let me get serious for a moment....as far as Boxing history goes....what normally happens when the shorter, but NOTICEABLY better, boxer goes against a taller, punching machine type fighter?

Then let's add that the shorter boxer is faster with straight punches and power of his own....and the taller fighter's power punches are wide or loopy....

Then let's add that the shorter boxer has an above average defense...and the the taller fighter leaves himself susceptible to good shots.

Then let's add that the shorter boxer has multiple styles....while the taller fighter pretty much only has one...

and finally...let's add that the taller fighter doesn't even take advantage of his size and reach...by not utilizing the jab.
Yes....there are intangibles....and Margarito CAN win with those....but I'm tellin' ya....the height advantage doesn't mean shit in this particular scenario....Marg has the better chin and an uppercut waiting for Cotto....but that's about it......

Their hearts are the same....their conditioning is the same....and the boxer beats the fighter.

Good breakdown but I think Cotto's chin will give out, just a feeling that I have. I am just going with my gut this time & not really going with the fact that Cotto is a better & more complete boxer!
The CEO
You are a good and honest man, cane....man.

laugh.gif
salvador
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jul 26 2008, 02:31 PM) [snapback]397130[/snapback]

thanks man. I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited to see a fight. Oh, wait, yeah I can. It was the Margarito-Williams fight! But I gotta say, I like the odds better in this one! thumbsup_anim.gif

and I appreciate the kind words from you too, CEO. Though I have to disagree with you regarding the notion that a Cotto win would be better for the FH board or for boxing. If Margarito wins this fight, ultimately that's bad for Floyd because it'll show that Floyd was ducking Marg all along. And ANYTHING that's bad for Floyd is good for boxing. And if it's good for boxing, it's great for FH!

The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Jul 26 2008, 04:50 PM) [snapback]397160[/snapback]
all these people with the late picks for margarito. there must be some shit in the water this morning, like booze or heroin. where were these picks in the lead up? sounds like people scared to make their picks and defend their choice to go with the dark side.

I've been saying this for YEARS... Been waiting for Margarito to get his shot. Finally he's got it with Cotto.
The CEO
QUOTE(salvador @ Jul 26 2008, 05:29 PM) [snapback]397171[/snapback]
thanks man. I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited to see a fight. Oh, wait, yeah I can. It was the Margarito-Williams fight! But I gotta say, I like the odds better in this one! thumbsup_anim.gif

and I appreciate the kind words from you too, CEO. Though I have to disagree with you regarding the notion that a Cotto win would be better for the FH board or for boxing. If Margarito wins this fight, ultimately that's bad for Floyd because it'll show that Floyd was ducking Marg all along. And ANYTHING that's bad for Floyd is good for boxing. And if it's good for boxing, it's great for FH!

You're welcome, bro...I am well versed with you and your strong emphasis on the Floyd-Marg angle, so I know exactly why you feel the way you do....lol...Mayweather's retired right now though....so let's forget about him until all the hypotheticals come up after the result tonight....

As far as who's better for Boxing and this board...hey...from what I've seen and know...that's really how I feel....

but like I said...regardless of your excessive hate for Money May and proclamations of Baldomir's record and KO ratio (laugh.gif)....you've always conducted yourself well and seem like a good dude....

I wish I was wealthy so I could just PayPal you $500 after Cotto wins tonight...lol

friends.gif
WolfishPromistah
“Salvador Appreciation Day”

In regard to the subject of discussion -- Yes!

“all these people with the late picks for margarito. there must be some shit in the water this morning, like booze or heroin. where were these picks in the lead up? sounds like people scared to make their picks and defend their choice to go with the dark side.”

The “force” must be with Margarito, then; that’s why.

"Marg has the better chin and an uppercut waiting for Cotto....but that's about it......"

Overhands, too! Plus, Tony throws quite a few more. Now here's my take: When Cotto got hurt, each time, he was never against a great finisher (exception is Mosely, but he didn’t really hurt Cotto enough to seriously get things done after, and fell in the last round – blowing momentum – which worked against him). Margarito, on the other “HAYUUUUND,” is a GREAT finisher against smaller guys ESPECIALLY, like Cotto; there’s a big difference I see. And sure, Cotto ALWAYS comes in IN CONDITION, but I still argue that his conditioning ain’t as good as Margarito’s for the long-haul in fights. Clearly, it’s shown more than once that Cotto fades down the line more than Antonio – yep, even wit’ his superior versatility with boxing skills.
Mean Mister Mustard
CEO, you made some good points about the Cotto's more compact and faster shots being the key to victory. I've been saying that since the fight was annoucned. But how the hell can you say their conditioning is the same? Cotto has gassed 2 times in 12 rounds and against Urkal his punches lost steam after the 6th. He's in shape but the dude is nowhere near Margarito's conditioning.
The CEO
because those fights were a while back...the Mosley fight is the only recent indication where Cotto may have not had excellent conditioning...but then again...that was Mosley he was in the ring with....

So I admit when I said their conditioning is the same...I wasn't being exact....I should have said their conditioning is "around" the same...I also think Cotto will conserve more energy than people are expecting....

That being said...that means I totally disagree with you saying this Cotto is "nowhere near" Margarito in terms of conditioning...
The CEO
Hey, Wolfish....why don't YOU sig bet me with your eccentric ass?...lol

I can't with MMM 'cause he's got Cotto too....which makes me think....are you pulling for Marg and picking Cotto or something, Mister?

laugh.gif
caneman
We'll find out in about 4 hours CEO! I wanna see how that chin is these days...I know it was 2 1/2 years ago but Chop Chop dropped him with those same kinda looping punches yet Margarito won't be able too? We'll see! drinks.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.