Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jermain Taylor vs. Jeff Lacy Nov 15!!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Boxingjunkie
From ESPN.com

Although former super middleweight titlist Jeff Lacy struggled to a majority decision win against Epifanio Mendoza on Wednesday, he will face former middleweight champ and 2000 U.S. Olympic teammate Jermain Taylor on Nov. 15 (HBO) at a site to be determined, Taylor promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com. DiBella said he and Lacy promoter Golden Boy made a deal earlier Wednesday. The winner of the elimination bout will get a chance a to fight for the WBC title, which is vacant but will be filled by a probable match between Carl Froch and Jean Pascal. Taylor-Lacy originally was slated for Nov. 8, but HBO bumped the fight to make room for the Joe Calzaghe-Roy Jones light heavyweight championship fight on HBO PPV, a move that angered DiBella. The light heavyweight bout had been scheduled for Sept. 20 until Calzaghe's wrist injury delayed it until Nov. 8.

Definitly a cross roads fight for both of these guys. Pretty evenly matched but I will go with Taylor on this one. Lacy doesnt look so great anymore.
Hodge
I just want to know how good of friends they are. I can't remember the fight but Monte Barrett was fighting someone and they stunk out the joint.
Tha Docta
i would say that lacy is cashing in, but taylor appears to still have a pretty solid career based on his last fight against pavlik. i think lacy gets his ass kicked here but i also think this is probably the most winnable big money fight out there for lacy. any other top guy around him will school him, but taylor makes enough mistakes fundamentally that its not out of the realm of possibility that lacy might catch him with something. so good work by his team in snagging this fight before he gets his ass handed to him by some trialhorse on espn. i think beatings by kessler, abraham, dawson or pavlik would be far more severe than what hes gonna get from taylor.

stateofthegame
I knew this was going to happen. If I am the WBC I tell Dibella to go fuck himself and I take Taylor out of my rankings. They have already mandated Taylor to face Froch and they said no. The WBC should hold them accountable and say that it does not matter if he beats Lacy, because he is no longer an option for the WBC.

People talk bad about the sanctioning bodies, as they should, but they pushed for this fight and it was Dibella that turned his nose up at it, when actually the cards were in his hand. Win the purse bid, make the fight in Little Rock or Memphis (Fans would have come then no matter if they knew Froch or not) and if Jermain wins he gets a title and bargaining power at 168 for Joe when he moves back down. Now if Froch or Pascal win Taylor will have to go to their territory to challenge for the title. This is a dumb move IMO.
King Eugene
just read on boxingscene.com that Lacy called the fight off and announced his retirement. dude was upset about something but as of now NO FIGHT!!!
D-MARV
See YA!!!!!
MarzB
Good riddance. One less dumb slugger we have to deal with. After surgery and all he looked awful on Wednesday and if that dude he fought Epi something was a bit more polished and had better footwork (like being able to pivot)Lazy would have been finished, timber after his football tackle.

Amazing how before the fight they talked about him restoring his jab and you still hardly saw it.
BigG
Man I liked Lacy. He was a nice guy, exciting....but he's done period...If he wants to retire, good for him....he had a decent career and made some good money. I think Jermain would have hurt him..
Boxingjunkie
The way hes looked lately its probably the best move he could have made. Good luck to ya Jeff.
Byrd Man
according to what I heard BEFORE Lacy's recent fight he was offered 500k to fight Taylor.

AFTER the fight, he was offered 550k and he got pissed and said "fuck it, I'm out" and retired saying that he was "insulted".

Who's advising him? Leon?

Said that that was an insult and that since he was risking his life he should get paid more.
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. --
Former IBF super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy says he would rather retire than fight Jermain Taylor after being "insulted" by $550,000 offer to face him.

Lacy, of St. Petersburg, Fla., told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in a story published Sunday that the offer was too low. Lacy said he has fought for $500,000 on the undercard of HBO matches many times and being the main event of a fight that he says has high fan interest should entitle him to a far greater payday.

"I was insulted by that number," Lacy told the newspaper. "I'm going on living my life as a retired boxer. There will be no fight between me and Jermain."

However, Lacy said there was still time to salvage the fight if his offer rose.

Lou DiBella, Taylor's promoter, directed all questions to Golden Boy Promotions, Lacy's promoter.

"We agreed on numbers (with Golden Boy) weeks ago and I thought they had their fighter on board," DiBella said. "But that's something between Jeff and his promoter."

Golden Boy President Richard Schaeffer is out of the country and could not be reached. Dave Itskowitch, Golden Boy's chief operating officer, said that negotiations will continue.

"Everyone involved will continue to talk and we'll try to come to an agreement that everyone can be satisfied with," Itskowitch said.

Promoters have said the fight was likely to take place Nov. 15.

Taylor, of Little Rock, was the middleweight champion for over two years after beating Bernard Hopkins in 2005, but he lost that title to Kelly Pavlik, then lost a rematch with Pavlik.

Lacy rallied over the final two rounds to beat Epifanio Mendoza in a 10-round majority decision Wednesday night.

Taylor (27-2-1) and Lacy (24-1) were teammates on the U.S. Olympic team in 2000.
Boxingjunkie
Jermain Taylor-Jeff Lacy Deal a Done Deal For November 15

By Mark Vester (July 28, 2008)

The "retirement" of Jeff Lacy lasted less than a week. Last Thursday Lacy announced his retirement after being unhappy with the $550,000 purse for a potential bout with Jermain Taylor on November 15.

Earlier today, his attorney and adviser, Jim Wilkes, told boxing scribe John Cotey of the St. Petersburg Times that a deal has been reached between Golden Boy Promotions and Lacy, and the fight with Taylor is back on.

"I'm telling you, as Jeff's attorney, a deal has been reached," Wilkes said. "It took a lot of work, a lot of effort, a lot of discussion, but we got it done."

Taylor's promoter Lou Dibella is pleased with the latest information.
"This was an issue between Golden Boy and Lacy," DiBella told Cotey. "The deal between my fighter and Golden Boy is the same as it was last week."

HBO will televise the fight.
D-MARV
Jermain Taylor UD!
Mean Mister Mustard
Provided Taylor shows up focused and with a gameplan like he did in the Pavlik rematch there's no reason he should lose this one. I say this because it is clear that Lacy knows he's not in Taylor's level. Many of you don't think highly of Taylor but he has proven he is a full step or 2 above Lacy. Lacy is not mentally strong anymore, I mean retire and then the next day unretire? He was coaxed into taking this fight. . I'm willing to bet he's taking this as a last payday.
hardhead
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Jul 29 2008, 03:32 PM) [snapback]397875[/snapback]
Jermain Taylor-Jeff Lacy Deal a Done Deal For November 15

By Mark Vester (July 28, 2008)

The "retirement" of Jeff Lacy lasted less than a week. Last Thursday Lacy announced his retirement after being unhappy with the $550,000 purse for a potential bout with Jermain Taylor on November 15.

Earlier today, his attorney and adviser, Jim Wilkes, told boxing scribe John Cotey of the St. Petersburg Times that a deal has been reached between Golden Boy Promotions and Lacy, and the fight with Taylor is back on.

"I'm telling you, as Jeff's attorney, a deal has been reached," Wilkes said. "It took a lot of work, a lot of effort, a lot of discussion, but we got it done."

Taylor's promoter Lou Dibella is pleased with the latest information.
"This was an issue between Golden Boy and Lacy," DiBella told Cotey. "The deal between my fighter and Golden Boy is the same as it was last week."

HBO will televise the fight.

Well that was quick...haha

I like Lacy and he's a nice guy and fun to watch but I hope Taylor doesn't hurt him too bad.
Big Slim Sweet
When was the last time Taylor hurt somebody too bad?

JT should win though via walk-in-the-park UD. Will probably be decently exciting for a few rounds, then Jeff will just start following Taylor around getting tagged here and there with jabs.

Actually this fight has a good chance to be a real stinker.
FenderDG3
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jul 29 2008, 04:25 PM) [snapback]397949[/snapback]

JT should win though via walk-in-the-park UD. Will probably be decently exciting for a few rounds, then Jeff will just start following Taylor around getting tagged here and there with jabs.

Yeah it does have the chance to be a real stinker. However, there's no way they'll put this on HBO PPV, so I'll be watching it. I wouldn't pay to see this fight on PPV.
rusty_trombone
I think this will be a fairly easy fight for Taylor, given the recent performances of Lacy. But, if Taylor doesn't step on the gas at all, it could be a very boring easy win for him
Fitz
Taylor should beat Lacy easily. Though with Taylors suspect whiskers, I gotta give Lacy a punchers chance, though I think it's pretty unlikely.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Jul 29 2008, 04:25 PM) [snapback]397949[/snapback]

The last person Taylor hurt was Pavlik..haha..I gotta go with Taylor in this fight..Taylor has more boxing skills then Lacy and he throws straighter punches..I've always wondered if this fight would ever happen and have always wanted to see it(what fight do I not want to see though)..Everyone hated the Klitchko/Ibragimov fight,but I liked it,so it's hard to disappoint me..For anyone to be able to control another champion with strictly their jab,is amazing to me..The jab is the key to winning unless the whole fight is on the inside..Taylor has a good jab and Lacy doesn't use his jab enough..I gotta say Taylor by UD..The only way Lacy can win in my opinion is KO by the straight right or left hook..Lacy needs to start throwing double left hooks to improve his arsenal of weapons..
Blayde
Ive gotta say that I expect a pretty exciting fight for as long as it lasts. I think Lacy is gonna force Taylor to let his hands go and then it should almost be guaranteed we will see some bombs landing. Probably Lacy will get the worst of it, but the chances that he lands one of his big straight rights arent terrible IMO.
D-MARV
Any word on the Venue?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.