Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto vs. Margarito: Round by Round/Postfight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jack 1000
For all of the round by round action and post fight comments on "The Battle." The Welterweight Championship. Cotto vs. Margarito. Please keep everything in this thread. New Spoiler threads will be deleted and new threads created about the fight will be closed.

On Going Reports are here:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/roundbyround3122.html

Jack

Administrator
The CEO
Let's utilize The FH Chat Room....

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/chat.php

The CEO
School.
The CEO
Cotto takes a breather with some punishment in Round 7 though....both men are tiring...
The CEO
Lederman is very shot.

I have Cotto up by 3....going into the 10th....
The CEO
It's over!

Cotto boxes beautifully all night....but he runs out of gas, takes a knee twice, and Evangelista throws in the towel in the 11th.....great fucking fight.

SALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!
caneman
how would y'all like your crow? fried, broiled? laugh.gif
The CEO
You must be talking to me since I was the only one posting....lol

FUCK!!
frankypc
damm upercutt of marg lol
caneman
you really had cotto up going into the 10th? OMGMethod rolleyes.gif
KookedKrack
what a fucking fight man i had picked cotto to win but the dominican in me is happy he got ktfo
caneman
Yo Sallllllllllllllllll!!!!! Where the hell is Rusty anyhow? yahoo.gif
STEVENSKI
Marg did what was required of him. Walked his man down & took him out with applied pressure.
Hodge
There are a lot of sick people all around the world. He are some people that need brown bags. I'm in shock. Awesome fight.
The CEO
QUOTE(caneman @ Jul 27 2008, 12:07 AM) [snapback]397209[/snapback]
you really had cotto up going into the 10th? OMGMethod rolleyes.gif

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Hell yeah I had him ahead....he was taking him to school....but it zapped his energy in doing so....Mustard was right tonight....conditioning came into play.
Hodge
And of course Manny knew who was going to win all along. rolleyes.gif
caneman
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Jul 27 2008, 12:12 AM) [snapback]397214[/snapback]
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Hell yeah I had him ahead....he was taking him to school....but it zapped his energy in doing so....Mustard was right tonight....conditioning came into play.

man, i had marg up 2 rounds easy but it was a stream but still! great fight though.
STEVENSKI
Cotto is a punk running to his locker room & refusing to give a interview. Hey you fuck that is one of the things you are paid to do & unless you are carried off on a stretcher then you should give a interview.
WolfishPromistah
I said Margarito by KO/TKO and I meant it. Oh, let me just add something. For all you guys who said Cotto was gonna school with his movement and counter-punching, I was actually impressed at your prediction there. He was really given some decent movement with shots that followed at many points. But that damned Margarito beard was takin' that shyt like nobody else. LoL! Anyway, Cotto did aight, I think -- just got worn down like some thought it likely was gonna happen.
KookedKrack
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jul 27 2008, 12:18 AM) [snapback]397217[/snapback]
Cotto is a punk running to his locker room & refusing to give a interview. Hey you fuck that is one of the things you are paid to do & unless you are carried off on a stretcher then you should give a interview.

cosign he acted like a bitch for that
caneman
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Jul 27 2008, 12:18 AM) [snapback]397217[/snapback]

Fitting since he ran for most of the fight huh? black eye.gif
Jack 1000
This was an incredible fight for the record. I had Cotto ahead at the stoppage 97-95 with the better boxing. I saw Margarito being more aggressive, but Cotto landing the more accurate shots. The skill of the boxing by Cotto was overpowered by Margarito in the end. This was a very hard fight to judge. I had two rounds even, the 5th and the 9th, which is extremely rare. I was surprised that Margarito was not more accurate in the beginning. A wonderful fight!

I will add my scorecard. (Word doc.)

Jack
dbdbdb
Cotto put forth a valiant effort and earned alot of respect tonight.

But, the constant pressure from AM was just too much. And Cotto kept making the same mistake by hovering on the ropes. That was Cotto's undoing, he just stayed on the ropes too much.

Damn good fight!!!!!
HaydelHammer
RIP Cotto

Mean Mister Mustard
I had picked Cotto by decision but was really torn about it because I liked both guys. That being said from the 5th round on you could tell Cotto was in for a long night, none of his punches had any effect on Margartio. It reminded me of Chavez in his prime walking through fire and still planting solid hooks all over his opponent.

I think it is also fair to say Cotto was landing the cleaner shots and Margarito's size played a factor in the fight. His face showed markings of the accurate blows he was taking but the man has titanium in his chin. Ypu are not going to see many guys take that from cotto and conserve their face intact.

Lampley was a biased mofo tonight.

Mayweather still beats Margarito but goes through hell trying.
The CEO
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Jul 27 2008, 12:18 AM) [snapback]397218[/snapback]
I said Margarito by KO/TKO and I meant it. Oh, let me just add something. For all you guys who said Cotto was gonna school with his movement and counter-punching, I was actually impressed at your prediction there. He was really given some decent movement with shots that followed at many points. But that damned Margarito beard was takin' that shyt like nobody else. LoL! Anyway, Cotto did aight, I think -- just got worn down like some thought it likely was gonna happen.

You shoulda bet with me....yes2.gif

This fight was all about conditioning as Cotto proved his chin has iron of its own....

This is a VERY tough loss for Cotto....knowing you're the better boxer and having to knee out to a towel in the 11th.....
The Original MrFactor
Oh my god, how could Cotto be beat by a wide swinging, slow, BUM like Margarito....

Where's Rusty Trombone?!?!?!

TOLJA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Original MrFactor
SPYDER... You and Rusty have given me shiznit for the last 3 or so years about Tony... Well???
salvador
I was thinking of starting a thread entitled "I mother fucking told you, motherfuckers!", but instead I'm gonna keep it low key and in perspective by saying that that was my very favorite fight of my entire life.

There really is no substitute for boxing.

God Bless those guys!

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jul 27 2008, 12:30 AM) [snapback]397229[/snapback]
SPYDER... You and Rusty have given me shiznit for the last 3 or so years about Tony... Well???

I never got why people hate on certain fighters as if it were thri life's mission. I mean you can hate a fighter but at least say so and that's it. don't say he's a bum and garbage and all that. Especially when said fighter has an iron chin, stamina for 20 rounds and a good punch.

This reminded me of Arguello-Pyror, good fight until one of them wilted.
FenderDG3
For the record I picked Cotto to win by UD, and going into that 11th round I had Miguel up by 2 points. I knew Margarito had a beard, but god damn. Just like MMM said, he's got titanium in that chin. Cotto hit him with everything but the kitchen sink, and Margarito kept coming, and coming, and coming. How frustrating that must be. Good stoppage by Evangalista though Cotto was a bloody mess. Props to Margarito for getting the job done. I don't think Cotto has anything to hang his head about he fought a great fight. He just didn't have enough gas in the tank. The only thing I think he should hang his head about was not sticking around for a post fight interview. Great fight. Some of my friends think there should be a rematch. I don't see how a rematch would turn out any differently, but what do you guys think?
Kijis Konar
I predicted a 11th round TKO win for Margarito because I always noticed Cotto didn't react well to pressure- Mosley had him retreating for a good part of their fight and Cotto gets hit too easily. Margarito kept coming, dealing with everything Cotto had with no problems and breaking him down. After the 7th, it was clear Cotto was in route to a brutal loss. Yes, he did box nicely, but he did because he couldn't take Margarito's heat.

Cotto simply got beat the shit outta him- this was a physically and mentally devastating loss, and I have to wonder if he will ever be the same. I don't think so. GO MARGARITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
caneman
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jul 27 2008, 12:30 AM) [snapback]397229[/snapback]

Don't that shit feel good bro? BTW, I stand corrected...I had Margarito up 96-95 @ the time of the stoppage! I REPEAT STOOPAGE BY ANTONIO MARGARITO!
FenderDG3
BTW Caneman, I guess I'll take my crow deep fried!! grin.gif
The Original MrFactor
BTW...

SAL Congratz

Big Daddy Cane congratz...

We been sayin it all along...

There are others... Congratz to whomever I missed. We've been saying it all along. NOW WE KNOW WHY MONEY MAY GAVE UP 8 MILL...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jul 27 2008, 12:34 AM) [snapback]397236[/snapback]
BTW...
SAL Congratz
Big Daddy Cane congratz...
We been sayin it all along...

There are others... Congratz to whomever I missed. We've been saying it all along. NOW WE KNOW WHY MONEY MAY GAVE UP 8 MILL...

Yeah, Mayweather would beat AM but he would need a lot of tylenol the next morning.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE(FenderDG3 @ Jul 27 2008, 12:33 AM) [snapback]397232[/snapback]
I don't see how a rematch would turn out any differently, but what do you guys think?

since you asked....magarito is to cotto what vernon and winky were to shane. minus the beat down stoppage ofcourse.

mexi-cutioner
That was a sick fight. I had Margarito up by 2 going into the 11th round and even had him winning the last 4 or 5 rounds in a row. I liked Margarito before but like most I predicted Cotto to pull off a late UD or TKO in the latter rounds, but through this fight I gained alot more respect for Margarito. The commentators were pissing me off, so what if Cotto landed cleaner blows, from rounds 5 on Margarito was stalking him like a hawk and Cotto kept backing away and it eventually wore him down, Margarito was winning that fight going into the 11th I don't know what fight the commentators were watching....

...rematch anyone????
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 27 2008, 12:25 AM) [snapback]397226[/snapback]
I had picked Cotto by decision but was really torn about it because I liked both guys. That being said from the 5th round on you could tell Cotto was in for a long night, none of his punches had any effect on Margartio. It reminded me of Chavez in his prime walking through fire and still planting solid hooks all over his opponent.

I think it is also fair to say Cotto was landing the cleaner shots and Margarito's size played a factor in the fight. His face showed markings of the accurate blows he was taking but the man has titanium in his chin. Ypu are not going to see many guys take that from cotto and conserve their face intact.

Lampley was a biased mofo tonight.

Mayweather still beats Margarito but goes through hell trying.

A good, smart fighter beats a good, strong fighter every time.
salvador
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jul 27 2008, 12:34 AM) [snapback]397236[/snapback]
NOW WE KNOW WHY MONEY MAY GAVE UP 8 MILL...

Money May AND Sugar Shane

Hey man, that ain't no duckwalk
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Jul 27 2008, 12:38 AM) [snapback]397240[/snapback]
A good, smart fighter beats a good, strong fighter every time.

Pretty much except for tonight.
The Boxing Fan
Cotto got stalked and clocked. Arum has already protected his cash cow and now he has to do damage control. I know Don king is laughing his ass off somewhere. Mexican body Work is always consistently damaging. Cotto has no heart or real strategy except to beat people up. He wouldn't use any body attack, but Margarito did You saw the results!.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The Boxing Fan @ Jul 27 2008, 12:40 AM) [snapback]397243[/snapback]
Cotto got stalked and clocked. Arum has already protected his cash cow and now he has to do damage control. I know Don king is laughing his ass off somewhere. Mexican body Work is always consistently damaging. Cotto has no heart or real strategy except to beat people up. He wouldn't use any body attack, but Margarito did You saw the results!.

How can you say Cotto has no heart?
caneman
[quote name='Mean Mister Mustard' date='Jul 27 2008, 12:33 AM' post='397231']
I never got why people hate on certain fighters as if it were thri life's mission. I mean you can hate a fighter but at least say so and that's it. don't say he's a bum and garbage and all that. Especially when said fighter has an iron chin, stamina for 20 rounds and a good punch.

This reminded me of Arguello-Pyror, good fight until one of them wilted.
[/quote

I can honestly say I hate Judah but that is the person I don't like, not the boxer. This was one great fight though & I enjoyed it very much!!!!! thumbsup_anim.gif
The Original MrFactor
Chirp Chirp... Mofo's... I've had a little to drink... I've had some time to think... Now I'm bustin yo asses with ink!!! Time to pay the piper. Time To have that Scarecrows Thanksgiving Dinner... Told you jokers for years!!! Yeah, I'm happy!!! I became a fan of Matrgarito a few years ago during the second Santos fight. I thought he got a raw deal. Now He's reaping the benefits. Great fight. Mosdef a candidate for FOY, as expected...

P.S.

Props to Cotto. I liked him before this fight. Shiznit, he's also a great FORMER champ. BOTH of these guys would KO Mayweather. Cotto would KO him faster...

P.S.

Expect DLH to run faster than Mayweather from Tony. Tony will beat DLH faster than he beat Cotto. Inside 7, you heard it here 1st...
Hodge
QUOTE(FenderDG3 @ Jul 26 2008, 11:33 PM) [snapback]397232[/snapback]
For the record I picked Cotto to win by UD, and going into that 11th round I had Miguel up by 2 points. I knew Margarito had a beard, but god damn. Just like MMM said, he's got titanium in that chin. Cotto hit him with everything but the kitchen sink, and Margarito kept coming, and coming, and coming. How frustrating that must be. Good stoppage by Evangalista though Cotto was a bloody mess. Props to Margarito for getting the job done. I don't think Cotto has anything to hang his head about he fought a great fight. He just didn't have enough gas in the tank. The only think he should hang his head about was not sticking around for a post fight interview. Great fight. Some of my friends think there should be a rematch. I don't see how a rematch would turn out any differently, but what do you guys think?

I think there are a lot of things Miguel could do different. He was backing up on the ropes a little too much. As soon as Miguel would get on his bike after an exchange, I was thinking Mayweather/ Baldomir. Then, Miguel would stay there and take shots as opposed to moving. He's a much faster fighter and could have taken the easy route, but didn't and he should get props for that; but he could be considered a dummy for not using his feet and pulling out the easy victory. Just a thought.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jul 27 2008, 12:41 AM) [snapback]397246[/snapback]
Chirp Chirp... Mofo's... I've had a little to drink... I've had some time to think... Now I'm bustin yo asses with ink!!! Time to pay the piper. Time To have that Scarecrows Thanksgiving Dinner... Told you jokers for years!!! Yeah, I'm happy!!! I became a fan of Matrgarito a few years ago during the second Santos fight. I thought he got a raw deal. Now He's reaping the benefits. Great fight. Mosdef a candidate for FOY, as expected...
P.S.

Props to Cotto. I liked him before this fight. Shiznit, he's also a great FORMER champ. BOTH of these guys would KO Mayweather. Cotto would KO him faster...
P.S.

Expect DLH to run faster than Mayweather from Tony. Tony will beat DLH faster than he beat Cotto. Inside 7, you heard it here 1st...

Why the fuck is there all this talk about eating crow? There are no Margarito haters here. Well correct that, we have one, thats about it.

I would actually think DLH would have a better shot at beating Margarito than Cotto did. He's bigger, faster and may hit harder. However he would gas and we know what Margs would do to him. Watch DLH fight a midget in Pac Man or Hatton should he beat Malignaggi.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 27 2008, 12:37 AM) [snapback]397237[/snapback]
Yeah, Mayweather would beat AM but he would need a lot of tylenol the next morning.

Yeah whatever... Most jokers have no credibility with eme on here... Mayweather would get KO'd quicker than Cotto did... At least Cotto had some power to rock Tony. Mayweather has NO POWER at 147 and would succomb to a similar fate as Cotto...

Then the funny thing would be, that Mayweather would take his 1st comeback fight against Cotto and get KO'd too. Mayweather SUX!!! Sugar Ray Leonard was 50x the fighter he was/is(if he's actually retired).
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Jul 27 2008, 12:39 AM) [snapback]397242[/snapback]
Pretty much except for tonight.

Cotto tends to get caught up in the bravado thing but you cant over power everybody thats why he lost. The bigger, more rugged Margarito would be a nightmare for any fighter with that mentality. Especially one thats shorter and coming up in weight.
The CEO
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Jul 27 2008, 12:41 AM) [snapback]397246[/snapback]

laugh.gif laugh.gif

That's good shit, Factor.......

FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!!

Great fight..................

(hangs his head and goes to bed)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.