Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would it be better for boxing if COTTO...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
torvix2000
Would it be better for boxing if COTTO hugged a bit more? He could have won via UD in there. He was in trouble, Marg was always close, it was very easy for him to hug. Would you prefer him to use this type of "ring smart"?
hitman harding
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Jul 29 2008, 08:51 PM) [snapback]398009[/snapback]
Would it be better for boxing if COTTO hugged a bit more? He could have won via UD in there. He was in trouble, Marg was always close, it was very easy for him to hug. Would you prefer him to use this type of "ring smart"?

Cotto has to realize that a win is a win and you can't always look pretty and win. Hopkins IMOA is one of the greatest users of the hug to slow his opponents down. He consistanly made boxers miss and then he'd tie his opponent up with a defensive hug, The ref would then call break and he'd land a 2 punch combo and then start the process again. The object is not to get hit. Cotto had balls to trade.
JD
It wouldn't make a difference because he would have gotten roughed up on the clinch and lost anyway.

He was losing the fight on the cards as well as in the ring when it ended - holding more would not have won him any extra rounds even if it did keep him on his feet...which there is no reason to believe it would have.
Mean Mister Mustard
On ething Cotto constantly does when he is on the move, like the late rounds againts N'Dou and Mosley and the whole Abdullaev fight, is that when he gets off the ropes he moves to toher side of the ring which results in him getting cornered again. He should keep the fight in the center of the ring for as long as possible, althoug against a bigger guy like Margarito he probably would have gotten beaten anyway.
The CEO
No one should ever make it a priority to hug....James "Bonecrusher" Smith....Ruiz....Hatton....look at those names....

Where I'm from...you only tie your opponent up or clinch (legally, mind you) if you're dead tired or hurt....and when you fight on the inside, you only use your fists....like Castillo....Corrales....Cotto.....now look at those names as compared to the first three I mentioned.....which group is/was "better for Boxing"?....

Hugging for no reason is cowardly AND illegal.
Fitz
I am a Cotto fan and was hanging for him to win heaps that night. But by about round 10, I kind of felt it would be in boxings best interest if Cotto got stopped there and then before the fight ended.
It looked like I was going to be wrong anyways as he was down on the cards, but prior to that, I felt that if it went the distance, Cotto would have probably been given a decision and I just know from a lot of people, it wouldn't have sat well to see a guy getting backed up and hurt like that in a fight to be given the decision.
King Eugene
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!! He's has never been known as a hugger. Nobody can perfect the hit and not get hit like Hopkins can and how Jones use too. What Cotto did in the fight can be fixed.................STAMINA!!! All he needed to do was last longer! He is a warrior and he probablyl prides himself for not holding cause he has never had to do it a lot just to win a fight. He probably didnt want the wrap of "the only reason he won was cause he held on" but hell I would have taken it. LOL So Cotto is good, HE WILL BE BACK.

Still aint better than Floyd though!

LOL I know I know I'm always the one saying dont always bring his name up when it comes to WW's but I had to this time. LOL
D-MARV
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Jul 29 2008, 08:51 PM) [snapback]398009[/snapback]

No matter what style Cotto imposed, he would have been KO'd regardless! He's no hugger, He's horrible at it! He did the best thing he can do and used his advantages, Which were his hand speed, quickness, and boxing skills. Unfortunately, that was not enough. Margarito will always be a bad match up for Cotto.

Douchebag
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 30 2008, 08:21 PM) [snapback]398150[/snapback]
No matter what style Cotto imposed, he would have been KO'd regardless! He's no hugger, He's horrible at it! He did the best thing he can do and used his advantages, Which were his hand speed, quickness, and boxing skills. Unfortunately, that was not enough. Margarito will always be a bad match up for Cotto.

Honestly, I think moderate amount of hugging would have been the defference in the fight. Not, going overboard but just to keep himself from eating those clean shots.
BigG
I was screaming at Cotto to clinch every time I saw him on the ropes after round 7.....but he'd just either trade back or just focus purely on defense...
torvix2000
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jul 31 2008, 02:27 PM) [snapback]398244[/snapback]
I was screaming at Cotto to clinch every time I saw him on the ropes after round 7.....but he'd just either trade back or just focus purely on defense...

Yeah! I noticed that, too. It was very easy for him to clinch during those times. He should have clinched rather than get punched. He would get roughed up. But clinching and getting roughed up is better than eating those kinds of shots.

I thought that Cotto was simply hard headed in there. His ego seemed to get the better of him. WTF! Even some other top level fighters hugged moderately when getting cornered.
D-MARV
My problem with the holding and clinching is that Cotto would have lost by UD anywayz!!!! Still even possibly KO'd
torvix2000
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 1 2008, 12:43 AM) [snapback]398339[/snapback]
My problem with the holding and clinching is that Cotto would have lost by UD anywayz!!!! Still even possibly KO'd

True. But at least he would conserve some brain cells for him to fight in spurts in some other rounds and perhaps also win them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.