Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2008: They year so far
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
I can't be bothered waiting until the end of the year to discuss 2008 as a whole, but so far what a year it has been.

These are the fights we have had so far that any one of them can have there claim to Fight Of the Year (my order so far):
  1. Pacquiao-J.Marquez II
  2. Margaritas-Cotto
  3. R.Marquez-Vazquez III
  4. Casamayor-Katsidis
  5. Campbell-Diaz (a little underrated, but perhaps it was a little more one sided than the others, but good fight)
For me, Pacquiao-Marquez was my personal favourite and I can switch 2,3 and 4 in any order. Though any one of those fights (except Campbell-Diaz) has a claim to FOTY IMO. Just comes down to preference.
Don't forget that Katsidis-Diaz is on as well. If the past is anything to go by, good chance that this fight could rank up along with those other 5 and we are just over the half way mark of 2008.

Now to the fighters. It seems that a lot of the top undefeated fighters have began to lose there 0's. (There were a couple who lost it late last year such as Hatton, Kessler and Taylor)
  • Paul Williams
  • Miguel Cotto
  • Juan Diaz
Katsidis lost his 0 also, though he probably wasn't ranked with those undefeated fighters at the time. This is also what makes the Diaz-Katsidis fight interesting. They are both coming off there very first loss so it is a dangerous fight for either.

Been a very impressive year of boxing so far and if it keeps going this way, I don't think we need to worry about losing some of the faces of boxing like DLH, Hopkins, Jones, Mosley, Morales and Barrera etc.
Seems to be a lot of guys that us fans can take a liking to.

I will see if I can think of anything else. In the mean time, discuss the year so far.
BigG
Well big matches have happened this year...but I got to say I'm highly dissapointed Hopkins and Cotto lost.

Fight fans should keep on the look out for the fighters fighting at 112-118...alot of fighters are shining...Montiel, Penalosa, Mijares, Donaire, Solis, Calderon...

My top 5 fights of the year so far:

1-Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito
2-Juan Manuel Marquez-Manny Pacquiao II
3-Rafael Marquez-Israel Vazquez III
4-Joel Casamayor-Michael Katsidis
5-Chad Dawson-Glen Johnson
D-MARV
My Fav 5 are as followed...

Cotto-Margarito
Marquez-Vasquez III
Juan Manuel Lopez-Ponce De Leon (Im a huge JuanMa fan!)
Joel Casamayor-Michael Katsidas
Manny Pac-Juan Manuel Marquez

My awards thus far!

KO of the Year- Casamayor-Katsidas
Round of the Year- Holt-Torres II, Round 1
Upset of the Year- Quintana-Williams I
Fight of the Year- Marquez-Vasquez III
Fighter of the Year- Antonio Margarito

And I hate it when people say boxing is falling off... UFC aint f*cking with it!

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
My fav. fights:
1: Marquez-Vazquz 3
2: Margarito-Cotto
3: Katsidis-Casamayor
4: Lacy-Mendoza
5: Marquez-Pacquiao 2
6: Vanda-Chavez Jr. (check it out, very good scrap)

Fighter of the Year: Margarito
Upset of the Year: Vera-Lee
Event of the Year: Margarito-Cotto
KO of the Year: Either Miranda KO Banks or Gamboa KO Seeger
Round of the Year: Holt-Torres round 1 or Marquez-Vazquez round 4
Worst fight of year: Klitschko-Ibragimov
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jul 30 2008, 07:49 AM) [snapback]398065[/snapback]
My Fav 5 are as followed...

Cotto-Margarito
Marquez-Vasquez III
Juan Manuel Lopez-Ponce De Leon (Im a huge JuanMa fan!)
Joel Casamayor-Michael Katsidas
Manny Pac-Juan Manuel Marquez
My awards thus far!

KO of the Year- Casamayor-Katsidas
Round of the Year- Holt-Torres II, Round 1
Upset of the Year- Quintana-Williams I
Fight of the Year- Marquez-Vasquez III
Fighter of the Year- Antonio Margarito

And I hate it when people say boxing is falling off... UFC aint f*cking with it!

Im with you om that one bro JuanMa's KO of De leon has to be KO of the year.
King Eugene
I give The Marg Cotto fight a good shot at it but I think if there is a rematch by the end of the year that would have to be my choice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.