Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto vs Margarito Buys. Why no announcement "BobFather"??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MarzB
As great a fight this was I said there this fight would be lucky to do 250-300K buys. When you factor that the price was WAY too high $49.95 along with the "great" price of gasoline and the overall state of the US economy, to ask someone who's NOT a boxing fan to fork this out was utterly ridiculous.

It doesn't take a week to tabulate buy rates that are low. Usually the numbers are released on the Wednesday proceeding the fight.

I vividly recall Arum begging HBO not to release the buys TOP RANK does after the abysmal buy rate of Rahman vs. Maskaev. But I guarantee when the buys are favorable he'll draft up that press release himself.

I said if the fight does 300K buys it'll be a success. I understand that all the WCB dates were locked but this fight should have been on WCB.

That way, if theres a rematch they now have some justification to make it pay per view although we've seen previoulsy how Pavlik vs. Taylor II & Castillio vs. Corrales II were PPV bombs despite their first fights being incredible.

Any thoughts on the buy rate for this fight??
Jack 1000
QUOTE(MarzB @ Aug 3 2008, 03:29 PM) [snapback]398797[/snapback]
As great a fight this was I said there this fight would be lucky to do 250-300K buys. When you factor that the price was WAY too high $49.95 along with the "great" price of gasoline and the overall state of the US economy, to ask someone who's NOT a boxing fan to fork this out was utterly ridiculous.

It doesn't take a week to tabulate buy rates that are low. Usually the numbers are released on the Wednesday proceeding the fight.

I vividly recall Arum begging HBO not to release the buys TOP RANK does after the abysmal buy rate of Rahman vs. Maskaev. But I guarantee when the buys are favorable he'll draft up that press release himself.

I said if the fight does 300K buys it'll be a success. I understand that all the WCB dates were locked but this fight should have been on WCB.

That way, if theres a rematch they now have some justification to make it pay per view although we've seen previoulsy how Pavlik vs. Taylor II & Castillio vs. Corrales II were PPV bombs despite their first fights being incredible.

Any thoughts on the buy rate for this fight??

Agree with everything said,

The problem is HBO and the promoters won't learn from this or any other PPV fight, so they will just keep pushing out the $50.00 to $55.00 cards. Some consideration because this was a FOTY candidate and the undercard was better than expected, but as I have said before, if Showtime could do the Marquez-Vasquez trilogy on their regular network, Cotto-Margarito could have been on HBO WCB. Better yet, could you imagine the positive PR post fight support if this match had been on commercial TV? THAT is how you draw a real fan base to boxing! Arum I head did say that they got a better buy rate from the Dish guys, but AFAIK, he did not rellease any numbers.

Jack
Byrd Man
from what I read @ ESPN, Rafael was saying that Arum told him that they needed 250k to break even, and that they have done over 400k and possibly over 500k, but definitely over 400k.

And that they will be released (I'm guessing) in the next couple days.
Byrd Man
The numbers are not official yet, but everyone associated with last week's tremendous Antonio Margarito-Miguel Cotto welterweight championship fight expects the pay-per-view numbers to be excellent.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum and HBO PPV haven't released official sales totals yet because the final tally is not in yet, but both believed it would do better than initially anticipated.

Arum, who said he needed around 225,000 buys to break even, was virtually walking on air the other day when we spoke about the performance of the pay-per-view.

"As bullish as we were on the how the numbers would be during the week of the fight, it pales in comparison to how well it looks like it will do," Arum told me. "So far, I am extremely pleased. You really don't know for sure yet, but certainly it would not be beyond the realm of reasonable possibility we break 500,000. But we will certainly be well over 400,000."

Even before the fight, it was tracking well ahead of last November's Cotto-Shane Mosley fight, which did about 350,000 buys.

Margarito stopped Cotto in the 11th round of the all-action fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The success of the event means Cotto and Margarito will each receive substantial additional money beyond their guaranteed purses because both had an upside on the pay-per-view, meaning that once it reaches a certain number of sales they will receive a certain dollar figure for every buy above the threshold.

If Cotto-Margarito settles at about 450,000 or so buys, it figures to wind up as the third- or fourth-best boxing pay-per-view of the year.

The Jan. 19 Roy Jones-Felix Trinidad HBO PPV card generated more than 500,000 buys. The Nov. 8 Joe Calzaghe-Jones fight figures to be in the same ballpark as Cotto-Margarito. Oscar De La Hoya's planned Dec. 6 career finale, be it against Manny Pacquiao or anyone else, will probably do more than 1 million.

Arum was particularly pleased by the performance of Cotto-Margarito in the Hispanic marketplace, which has regularly supported pay-per-view fights with Latin stars.

"In particular, in the areas of high Hispanic concentration, we kicked a--," Arum said. "We doubled Cotto-Mosley in those areas."

It was only Cotto's third headline appearance in a major pay-per-view card and Margarito's first, although both had headlined smaller shows.
JD
Didn't Top Rank say that they were no longer releasing PPV numbers?
neophyte7
If these numbers projected-- 200-300 thousand buys is correct... I see why Mayweather was never in a rush to fight these guys LOL---
Byrd Man
where are you getting that it's projecting at 200-300 thousand buys?

From everything I've read it's projected at over 400k and possibly hitting 500k
Byrd Man
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 4 2008, 12:43 AM) [snapback]398849[/snapback]
Looks like the type of numbers Mayweather was making until he fought DLH, lol. Go look up his PPV buys against Gatti, Judah and Baldomir.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody likes to talk about that.

Remember, Mayweather sold out the DLH fight all by himself. He pretty much said so. I laughed when he tried to take credit for selling out the Gatti fight.

MarzB
Now put up Cotto and and Malignaggi or Cintron vs Margarito I.

300K+ plus buys is damn good so lets not try to minimize Floyd here k??

Amazing how some of you STiLL can't keep Floyd out of your mouths.. Unreal.

I'll wait if these numbers are official because I don't see the 400-500K in anyway or light..
Byrd Man
Exactly Fitz. The whole point of Floyd coming up was because Floyd talks about how these cats pulling in 300K is not worthy of him fighting. If DLH had that mindset Floyd wouldn't have NEARLY the money he has.

He actually owes a good chunk of his career to De La Hoya. If DLH had not put him on the stage to get that much money, he would never have come close to being able to demand the shit he did. Picking and choosing fighters based on PPV buys when in recent memory he was pulling in that exact amount of buys.

Once Floyd get his foot in the door he shuts the door on cats that are in the shoes that Floyd was in and shit son them in the process.
Method
Thomas Hauser has a really interesting article over at Secondsout.com about HBO and the promoters. In it he mentions the Cotto/Margarito PPV #'s in or around the 500K range.
Method
http://www.secondsout.com/Columns/index.cf...08&cs=27341

The MGM Grand Garden Arena seats 16,000. A disappointing crowd of 10,477 attended the fight. Puerto Rico vs. Mexico is still essentially an east coast rivalry. The bout would have been better attended had it taken place at Madison Square Garden or in Atlantic City. But Arumís judgment was vindicated by the first post-fight pay-per-view numbers, which indicate that there were close to 500,000 buys.
JD
500,000 buys...wow!

BigG
Thats fucking good..considering Margarito's not all that big of a draw and Cotto-Judah and Cotto-Mosley did 250-300?

I guess having Margarito whoop up on Golden Johnson and Cintron on Cotto's undercards helped him get alot of exposure and Cotto looked great in the main events too.

Cotto and Margarito fought the FOTY.

We witnessed a classic that night.
Byrd Man
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Aug 3 2008, 11:35 PM) [snapback]398838[/snapback]
If these numbers projected-- 200-300 thousand buys is correct... I see why Mayweather was never in a rush to fight these guys LOL---

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
caneman
Well good, maybe in PBF's mind, he can do 500-600 k by himself & another "NO HOPER" can get a shot @ the best P4P of all time rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
rusty_trombone
Is 500K correct? Where did that number come from?
KookedKrack
QUOTE(Method @ Aug 4 2008, 01:26 PM) [snapback]398910[/snapback]

i went to read this article and was greeted by this

was margarito a rapist and or convicted serial killer before boxing?
caneman
QUOTE(KookedKrack @ Aug 4 2008, 02:33 PM) [snapback]398927[/snapback]

lmao
D-MARV

LOL... laugh.gif
rusty_trombone

no, i think he's just Mexican. Have you seen DJ in pictures, shit everyone looks like a mug shot. Well, I guess that's because they are.
Jack 1000
How do we know that data is not slanted or skewed? I always suspect anything from a promoter's office, until I see that it has been verified by reliable sources.

Jack
Method
It's coming from Thomas Hauser.
MarzB
Like Jack said, I'll wait till its from an official source and Dan Raphael doesn't count.

I'll gladly "stand DOWN" on my thread if this did over 500K in buys. If it did that number they would have already had the press releases drafted and circulated to all the boxing sites.

The only tabulation that has taken this long is the Floyd vs. Hatton UK buys from Setana that I can recall.

What are they counting for friggin "chads",lol (election humor)..
JD
Are we sure Top Rank announces PPV buys anymore?

I thought they decided they weren't doing that anymore. I think, and I could be wrong, that the best you will get is leaked info.
KookedKrack
I hope it was a successful ppv the under cards were solid and the main event was 2 top fighters fighting EACH other. Now this bs ppv Mosley vs. Mayorga i hope that shit bombs
Big Slim Sweet
Mosley-Mayorga is no longer on PPV thankfully. The buys for that would have been putrid.

No, I don't think Top Rank releases the official numbers anymore. But it's not like they can completely fabricate them. If the leaked information puts the sales at close to 500,000, then that's what they are. When Top Rank shows bomb, we always hear about it. They aren't the mailmen. They don't control information.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Aug 5 2008, 11:11 AM) [snapback]399121[/snapback]
Mosley-Mayorga is no longer on PPV thankfully. The buys for that would have been putrid.

No, I don't think Top Rank releases the official numbers anymore. But it's not like they can completely fabricate them. If the leaked information puts the sales at close to 500,000, then that's what they are. When Top Rank shows bomb, we always hear about it. They aren't the mailmen. They don't control information.

if they're the ones leaking the info, then they are the mailmen and they do control the information
Fitz
You can bet your ass that Mosley-Mayorga will be $39.95 in Australia.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Aug 5 2008, 10:30 AM) [snapback]399125[/snapback]
if they're the ones leaking the info, then they are the mailmen and they do control the information

Well whoever leaked the info about the disappointing sales for Cotto-Judah or Maskaev-Rahman doing less than 60,000 will surely have their say here too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.