Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions on Al Bernstein?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Al Bernstein has done a fine job with Showtime. I would take him as a quality commentator over ANY of the HBO crew. The reasons are because, he doesn't suck the dicks of the fighters that Showtime has under contract, like HBO has done for years. Bernstein provides quality commentary, striking a balance of professional journalism and always showing the proper preparation for the telecasts.

Years ago, he messed up some basic information. (Citing Hagler "losing" to Duran, when doing closed circuit commentary on Hagler-Hearns.) But Al represents integrity and honesty in commentary. He tells it like it is, and can be forgiven for the small mistakes that are few and far between. It's refreshing to hear a non-cheerleader for a change.

Jack
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Aug 6 2008, 04:50 AM) [snapback]399276[/snapback]
Al Bernstein has done a fine job with Showtime. I would take him as a quality commentator over ANY of the HBO crew. The reasons are because, he doesn't suck the dicks of the fighters that Showtime has under contract, like HBO has done for years. Bernstein provides quality commentary, striking a balance of professional journalism and always showing the proper preparation for the telecasts.

Years ago, he messed up some basic information. (Citing Hagler "losing" to Duran, when doing closed circuit commentary on Hagler-Hearns.) But Al represents integrity and honesty in commentary. He tells it like it is, and can be forgiven for the small mistakes that are few and far between. It's refreshing to hear a non-cheerleader for a change.

Jack

His analysis of fights as they go on is outstanding.
BigG
He's an excellent commentator...
caneman
I think he is better than anyone on HBO & calls every fight without an agenda, as stated, something the HBO knows nothing about! Al has class in my opinion!
The CEO
I agree with everything above...got nothing bad to say about him at all.
JD
He is the best there is.
Big Slim Sweet
Another vote here for Al Bernstein.
dj necrogenic
Showtime doesnt have any fighters under contract... Im sure if they did Bernstein would do the same thing... You gotta do, whatcha gotta do to keep your job
caneman
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Aug 6 2008, 02:07 PM) [snapback]399344[/snapback]
Showtime doesnt have any fighters under contract... Im sure if they did Bernstein would do the same thing... You gotta do, whatcha gotta do to keep your job

I have a feeling that Al wouldn't do it & he does his job so well that Showtime would be crazy to mess with Al. Just my opinion though dntknw.gif
hardhead
I like Al as well, he does a very good job.
FenderDG3
Cosign on all of the above posts
Snowsy
He's also, aside from Teddy, probably the single nicest guy - in terms of being willing to talk with slag writers and fans (something that most commentators won't "stoop" to).

The only funny thing about Al is that he'll get fighters mixed up sometimes. I forget who it was, but he spent an entire fight calling a big-ass african american fighter "Whitaker" when it wasn't his name... does anyone recall that? I just remember laughing my ass off because nobody bothered to correct him. He's done that kind of endearing absent minded stuff a few times - but definitely a favorite.
MarzB
I can't think of anyone ever having a bad thing to say about this guy. Did you all know he was a singer too,lol?? Seriously.

He to me is someone that not only really knows boxing but generally LIKES IT. He finds even flattering things to say about guys who are very limited.

He along with Barry Tompkins and Roy Jones Jr on color commentary would be my boxing announcing "dream team"
Method
I enjoy the shit out of Teddy Atlas. I know its a nation divided on that one. But I appreciate Atlas as much as I do Bernstein.

I appreciate Roy's commentary. I am sure Hopkins would be good as calling action and dissecting a fight. Probably not so much as romanticizing (ala Larry Merchant).
Mean Mister Mustard
Nate Campbell is going to be commentating tonight. We'll see if he's good.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Method @ Aug 6 2008, 07:30 PM) [snapback]399408[/snapback]
I enjoy the shit out of Teddy Atlas. I know its a nation divided on that one. But I appreciate Atlas as much as I do Bernstein.

I appreciate Roy's commentary. I am sure Hopkins would be good as calling action and dissecting a fight. Probably not so much as romanticizing (ala Larry Merchant).

Teddy Atlas is in my opinion the best commentator..He can break down any situation and really open the eyes of fellow boxers on what the most important things to do in all kinds of situations in all fights..It's too bad he doesn't train fighters anymore for real..I suggest to everyone to read his book..It'll make you understand him and respect him more than you'd you..Lennox and Roy are fun commentators as well..None of the full time commentators know as much as about boxing as Teddy Atlas though..He was trained by one of the all time best trainers on training to fight himself and on how to train other fighters..He was unable to continue boxing himself because he has severe curvature of his spine..
MarzB
Thanks for the book recommendation. I love reading about that aspect of boxing.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(MarzB @ Aug 6 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]399426[/snapback]

No problem man..I liked it sooo much I was disappointed when I got done reading it cause it was soo good and didn't want it to end..I have actually wrote to Teddy and got a letter back from him..He wrote to me about thing I should really focus on working on with my boxing and how he loves to do commentary work..The book is called Atlas-From the streets to the ring-A son's struggle to be a man..This book will make you think very differently of Teddy if you don't know much about him but it will make you respect him soo much more..Let me know how ya like it if ya decide to pick it up..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(MarzB @ Aug 6 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]399426[/snapback]

No problem man..I liked it sooo much I was disappointed when I got done reading it cause it was soo good and didn't want it to end..I have actually wrote to Teddy and got a letter back from him..He wrote to me about thing I should really focus on working on with my boxing and how he loves to do commentary work..The book is called Atlas-From the streets to the ring-A son's struggle to be a man..This book will make you think very differently of Teddy if you don't know much about him but it will make you respect him soo much more..Let me know how ya like it if ya decide to pick it up..
hardhead
I met Teddy when I was with another friend of mine who was fighting on the undercard of an ESPN card in Mississippi, he was very nice and spoke with my friend for about 10 minutes or so about boxing, his book and just general bullshit.
Boxingjunkie
Al Bernstein is the best there is. And I agree with everyone else Teddy Atlas is an outstanding guy. I have had the chance to meet him twice and both times the guy was so gracious and curtious to the fans. Hope I get to meet him again on 8-22. Ill be there.
Imperius3
I remember Al being a little biased towards Corrales at times, but other than that he is a great commentator. I like Atlas also, although I don't understand why he's so awful at predicting fights.
Snowsy
The geniuses always are...

...I'm afflicted with the same curse smile.gif
gods son
i concour, he basically said how he felt about Darchiniyan (sp) on saturday night, and was not too impressed, he calls it how he see's it

Rabbit Punch2
This has got to be the most positive thread ever on here!

I really used to not Bernstien because he is such a dork. I've really come to appreciae him over the years. I don't always agree with his scorecards, but like some else pointed out, Al loves what he does and Al loves boxing. We need more like him out there. Teddy Atlas has been the best for 5 years. Both are great ambassadors of the sport.
Fitz
QUOTE(Rabbit Punch2 @ Aug 8 2008, 03:15 PM) [snapback]399554[/snapback]
This has got to be the most positive thread ever on here!

Hahaha.
Warlord
I'll give this tread its much needed negative spin.

I like Bernstein, but Atlas BLOWS.

Teddy is great on the mic, no complaint there, but there are certain fighters he can never be trusted to comment on accurately. Mike Tyson, for instance. The guy can't go a breath without shitting on Tyson everytime his name comes up.

Teddy calls fights well, even if he does get a little too excited sometimes. He makes the rights stands (commissions, fighter pensions) but occassionaly he over-states himself by getting in the face of a ref who made a bad call, or a judge who saw it differently than us.

Overall, if Teddy could just calm down at the right time, or be trusted to be a little more impartial, he may move up in my book. Until then he belongs on ESPN2.
Method
QUOTE(Warlord @ Aug 8 2008, 03:33 AM) [snapback]399559[/snapback]
I'll give this tread its much needed negative spin.

Ahhhhahahahahahah.....my man. Reese Bobby. "I don't know what it is in my genes that can't stand when things are going too perfect"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlYbpDylmUs

D-MARV
Bernstein is very good! Lennox Lewis is very bad!
Coyote Duran
Al Bernstein? A personal influence and idol of mine. thumbsup_anim.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.