Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Williams interview
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
Great interview

So bascially he thinks:

-Cotto is a 10 round fighter and fades when he gets taken into deep waters.
-He wants to fight Margarito but Margarito/Arum don't want any part of him. Instead their calling out Judah and Clottey.
-He thinks Berto is very talented and can be a player in the division.
Landiz_Tha Don
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 11 2008, 09:34 AM) [snapback]400067[/snapback]
Great interview

So bascially he thinks:

-Cotto is a 10 round fighter and fades when he gets taken into deep waters.
-He wants to fight Margarito but Margarito/Arum don't want any part of him. Instead their calling out Judah and Clottey.
-He thinks Berto is very talented and can be a player in the division.

SO HOW MANY PPL IN HERE THINK MARGARITO IS SCARED OF WILLIAMS???
IF YOU DO COULD YOU DO ME A BIG FAVOR AND SLAP YOUR SELF!!!
PAUL WILLIAMS IS TALKING THAT SHIT THAT HE CAN BEAT ANYONE. THAT HES THE BEST. P WILL JUST STFU. YOULL GET YOUR TURN HOMIE. LET MARGARITO BEAT CLOTTEY.(CLOTTEY IS A GOOD FIGHTER). THEN HE WILL GET TO YOU. BUT HE AINT DUCKING NO ONE. TRUST ME.
P WILL YOU REALLY WANT TO LOSE TO MARGARITO AND FOR CALLING COTTO A 10 ROUND FIGHTER THATS COLD BUT SOMEWHAT TRUE. COTTO WILL FUKEN MURDER YOUR ASS. CMON QUINTANA BEAT YOU IN THE FIRST FIGHT BY JUST BOXING AND COUNTERING. COTTO COULD DO THE SAME TO YOU BUT WITH MORE ACCURACY, SPEED, AND POWER. COTTO WILL BEAT PAUL WILLIAMS IF THEY EVER FIGHT AND MARGARITO WILL BEAT YOU TO A PULP. I WENT BACK AND SAW THE FIRST FIGHT. I NOTICED THAT EVERYTIME MARGARITO HIT YOU IN THE BODY YOU BACKED UP. NOW HE HAS MASTERED HIS BODY WORK AND WILL SLOW YOU DOWN THEN GO IN FOR THE KILL.

Landiz_Tha Don

Peace!
kidbazooka1
Marga ain't scared of PW sh*t Maragrito almost had his ass going in the last couple of rds willaims is talking like he dominated that fight.

Margarito has been avoided for so long that now that he's on top he deserves the muthaf*cking money fights. F*ck PW let him and Berto go at it and thee winner might get a shot at Margarito.
thehype
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Aug 11 2008, 02:18 PM) [snapback]400081[/snapback]
Margarito has been avoided for so long that now that he's on top he deserves the muthaf*cking money fights.

Isn't that kind of the problem with boxing though...isn't that what Margarito was complaining about himself not too long ago?

The same people that were upset about Mayweather going after the money fights are now praising Margarito for doing the same thing? Incidentally, exactly how big of a payday is a Clottey fight anyway?

dntknw.gif

Personally, I say fvck the Clottey rematch. Why fight a guy that you already hold a victory over when you can fight a guy that you have a loss to and still get paid (the $4 million offer from Goossen sounds like a pretty decent payday if you ask me)?

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying Margarito is ducking him or anything like that...but I do think Arum might be a tad bit more confident of Margarito beating Clottey.

Regardless though, I'll watch both fights (Margarit-Clottey or Margarito-Williams)...just as long as they don't try to put both of them on PPV.
rusty_trombone
I love it, all the people whining about Margarito being ducked by the world, now give him license to duck. rolleyes.gif
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(thehype @ Aug 11 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]400083[/snapback]
Why fight a guy that you already hold a victory over

Isn't that what Wiliams is trying to do though?

Granted I cut the rest of your sentence on purpose. P-Will already fought and annihilated the guy who had a win over him.

smile.gif

But personally I don't like it when fighters who hold a past win over a guy that just got a big win himself suddenly come on the record trying to bang the drums for a rematch. Williams beat Margarito, why should he call him out? It's like shades of Vernon Forest steady calling Shane out even after beating him twice (And if there's one dude I hate it's Vernon fuckin' Forest).

I mean, Margarito already chose to fight Williams a year ago when he had a far more lucrative and higher profile fight on the table then in Cotto. He obviously isn't scared of him and he obviously didn't duck him, so why should Paul or Goosen start acting like he is? Margarito JUST stepped into the spotlight. Let the man have his shine for a bit. If a year or more goes by and Paul keeps winning and Margarito still won't mention his name then maybe he's got a point. But for now it's just a lot of hot air to me.
BoxingStill#1
I knew he would say something along those lines after seeing Cotto / Margarito....

The welterwieght division is looking a bit dramatic now.....

Lets let the champions fight .........Berto-Clottey (pending win against Forbes)

Tony-Williams ( Oh what the hell,....let the big guys fight)

hardhead
QUOTE(thehype @ Aug 11 2008, 06:34 PM) [snapback]400083[/snapback]
Isn't that kind of the problem with boxing though...isn't that what Margarito was complaining about himself not too long ago?

The same people that were upset about Mayweather going after the money fights are now praising Margarito for doing the same thing? Incidentally, exactly how big of a payday is a Clottey fight anyway?

dntknw.gif

Personally, I say fvck the Clottey rematch. Why fight a guy that you already hold a victory over when you can fight a guy that you have a loss to and still get paid (the $4 million offer from Goossen sounds like a pretty decent payday if you ask me)?

Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying Margarito is ducking him or anything like that...but I do think Arum might be a tad bit more confident of Margarito beating Clottey.

Regardless though, I'll watch both fights (Margarit-Clottey or Margarito-Williams)...just as long as they don't try to put both of them on PPV.

The fans accept Margarito being a little more particular in this case because he's taken the risks(Williams, Clotty, Cotto three of the very top welters) to put himself in that position. Mayweather since he's come to welterweight has not taken those same risks like Margarito, that's the difference. Not saying Clotty is this huge payday either but if Margarito wants to pick and choose a certain opponent this time around then I think he's earned at least that.
hardhead
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Aug 11 2008, 07:32 PM) [snapback]400092[/snapback]

Granted I cut the rest of your sentence on purpose. P-Will already fought and annihilated the guy who had a win over him.

smile.gif

But personally I don't like it when fighters who hold a past win over a guy that just got a big win himself suddenly come on the record trying to bang the drums for a rematch. Williams beat Margarito, why should he call him out? It's like shades of Vernon Forest steady calling Shane out even after beating him twice (And if there's one dude I hate it's Vernon fuckin' Forest).

I mean, Margarito already chose to fight Williams a year ago when he had a far more lucrative and higher profile fight on the table then in Cotto. He obviously isn't scared of him and he obviously didn't duck him, so why should Paul or Goosen start acting like he is? Margarito JUST stepped into the spotlight. Let the man have his shine for a bit. If a year or more goes by and Paul keeps winning and Margarito still won't mention his name then maybe he's got a point. But for now it's just a lot of hot air to me.

I agree here and I'm a big Williams fan.
thehype
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Aug 11 2008, 03:32 PM) [snapback]400092[/snapback]

smile.gif

Yeah, but only because it's the biggest and best fight that can be made at welterweight right now. I mean, would it really make sense for P-Will to call out Cotto, Cintron or Judah when all of those guys are coming off losses? The only other viable names out there in the division are Clottey, Margarito and Berto. Berto's set to face Steve Forbes (oooooh) while Clottey and Margarito are talking about fighting each other...so honestly, who else do you expect P-Will to go after in the division?

dntknw.gif

Truth be told, P-Will was willing to give Margarito a rematch the first time he beat him, but Arum had other ideas. Now that Margarito has climbed his way back to the top of the heap, P-Will is simply trying to state his case that he, not Margarito, is the top welterweight in the division and he's willing to prove it by stepping in again with a man he's already beaten. Can the same be said about Margarito? I mean, I understand what you're saying about stepping into the spotlight and deserving his shine, but 1) there aren't that many "big fights" for him out there other than P-Will (is a Clottey rematch really that big of a fight) and 2) does he really deserve the spotlight and the shine if there's another guy out there floating around who holds a recent victory over him?

Again, I'm not saying that Margarito himself is "ducking" P-Will...but I do think Arum would rather take a fight with a little lower risk of Margarito losing. In my opinion, that's part of the problem with boxing. If Margarito is really that dude, then go ahead and take care of unfinished business and avenge the loss to P-Will. I mean, seriously, should boxing fans have to wait another year or more for a rematch that probably should have already happened?

dntknw.gif

I guess I just prefer my fighters to take rematches immediately.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(thehype @ Aug 11 2008, 05:05 PM) [snapback]400108[/snapback]
Yeah, but only because it's the biggest and best fight that can be made at welterweight right now. I mean, would it really make sense for P-Will to call out Cotto, Cintron or Judah when all of those guys are coming off losses? The only other viable names out there in the division are Clottey, Margarito and Berto. Berto's set to face Steve Forbes (oooooh) while Clottey and Margarito are talking about fighting each other...so honestly, who else do you expect P-Will to go after in the division?

dntknw.gif

Truth be told, P-Will was willing to give Margarito a rematch the first time he beat him, but Arum had other ideas. Now that Margarito has climbed his way back to the top of the heap, P-Will is simply trying to state his case that he, not Margarito, is the top welterweight in the division and he's willing to prove it by stepping in again with a man he's already beaten. Can the same be said about Margarito? I mean, I understand what you're saying about stepping into the spotlight and deserving his shine, but 1) there aren't that many "big fights" for him out there other than P-Will (is a Clottey rematch really that big of a fight) and 2) does he really deserve the spotlight and the shine if there's another guy out there floating around who holds a recent victory over him?

Again, I'm not saying that Margarito himself is "ducking" P-Will...but I do think Arum would rather take a fight with a little lower risk of Margarito losing. In my opinion, that's part of the problem with boxing. If Margarito is really that dude, then go ahead and take care of unfinished business and avenge the loss to P-Will. I mean, seriously, should boxing fans have to wait another year or more for a rematch that probably should have already happened?

dntknw.gif

I guess I just prefer my fighters to take rematches immediately.

Those are some fair arguments. I'm pretty sure Margarito is not scared of Williams but it is Arum who is probably whispering in Marg's ear "Hey forget this skinny dude, let's wait for DLH to decide whether he'll fight a midget or us."
caneman
QUOTE(thehype @ Aug 11 2008, 02:34 PM) [snapback]400083[/snapback]

dntknw.gif

Unless he can actually get DLH, PWill is exactly who he should fight will a $4 million offer...it makes sense to fight him & especially since Marg feels he won the 1 fight dntknw.gif
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(caneman @ Aug 11 2008, 07:09 PM) [snapback]400126[/snapback]
Unless he can actually get DLH, PWill is exactly who he should fight will a $4 million offer...it makes sense to fight him & especially since Marg feels he won the 1 fight dntknw.gif

Williams and Clottey isn't Margarito's only option he also has Mosley aswell who I believe he could get paid more for fighting than the other two.
salvador
QUOTE(hardhead @ Aug 11 2008, 03:59 PM) [snapback]400097[/snapback]
The fans accept Margarito being a little more particular in this case because he's taken the risks(Williams, Clotty, Cotto three of the very top welters) to put himself in that position. Mayweather since he's come to welterweight has not taken those same risks like Margarito, that's the difference.

And Cintron TWICE. It's not like the little guys in the division were interested in getting in the ring with Cintron's size or power.

I hope Margarito gets DLH because he deserves it and Marg is DLH's best choice right now. But if he doesn't fight DLH, then he should wait for Shane or even Floyd before getting back in the ring with Williams. Clottey shouldn't even be a part of the conversation.

That said, as a fan, my first choice would be for Marg to fight Williams. And if Marg fought Williams, then Marg, along with Pacquiao, would have to be considered the very coolest fighter in the sport. As much as I'd love to see Marg get a huge paycheck with DLH, I'd almost rather see him fight Williams again just to make it absolutely clear how a champion of the ww division is supposed to pick his fights - something that would have to make Floyd cringe!
caneman
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Aug 11 2008, 07:19 PM) [snapback]400128[/snapback]
Williams and Clottey isn't Margarito's only option he also has Mosley aswell who I believe he could get paid more for fighting than the other two.

I don't know about all the bro, I think $4mil is a great offer & Mosley MIGHT net $2mil & I doubt that!
FenderDG3
QUOTE(thehype @ Aug 11 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]400083[/snapback]

dntknw.gif

Cosign, cosign, cosign... I would think the ego of a fighter would much rather avenge a loss then fight a guy he already beat. I mean look at Lennox Lewis... if I'm not mistaken he went back and avenged every loss of his career. However, I understand that this is a business and it's not always as easy as (we as fans) would like it to be.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Aug 11 2008, 02:32 PM) [snapback]400092[/snapback]

smile.gif

The reason why I see it is a viable fight is that these 2 guys are now the last guys standing at WW.

When they first fought there was also PBF and Cotto on the scene.

Now PBF has 'retired' and Cotto has just been stopped in brutal fashion.

I think Ring magazine has Margarito as the champ at WW, is that correct?

Yet P-Wil beat him last year, so if I was Willaims I'd definately want the rematch so I could get that Ring title around my waist and become the undisputed 'man'in the division.

If anything this rematch has more significance on the WW division than their first fight.
King Eugene
Everybody has some pretty valid points but you can't blame either fighter....

1. Williams not just calling him out cause "he knows" he can beat him, he's calling him out cause he wants that other belt, that big payday, the biggest fight, and to show the world that he doesn't think Marg should be getting all the attention and hype he should be getting cause he isn't as good as he is proclaimed to be.

2. Marg did have to wait a while before he got a big fight, not many would give him a chance because of his "no nameness (doubt thats a word), he does want some big paydays (DLH is the only one bigger than PWill, but it aint happening), and hell he want to surely keep his belt for a while, while making money with low risk of losing his belt. Hell when you feel you worked that hard for it you deserve it I think.

Do I think its right? NO! But do I blame him? NO! He wont be the only fighter who has done it (I wont call his name cause I'm so tired of seeing his name brung up in every post even though I'm a fan). I'd still rather him fight PWill more than anybody else cause I want to see some unified belts, a good hard nose fight, and a fight that actually makes since. So you cant really blame either guy for the decisions they are making. So all in all AM isnt ducking him, he's just weighing out his options and PWill wants him cause he feels its the best fight for the sport and division right now.

IMO
Mean Mister Mustard
Plus he just beat Cotto and people are already talking about him dodging? Come on. If he fights 2 or more fights without even acknowledging Williams then you could say he was ducking him.
D-MARV
I dont think TOny is ducking PWill but you can't consider Tony the king until he fights and beats PWill.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 11 2008, 09:55 PM) [snapback]400156[/snapback]
I dont think TOny is ducking PWill but you can't consider Tony the king until he fights and beats PWill.

Yea, these two need to tango in order to be the real champ. This is also true according to Ring Magazine as they have Margarito at #1 and Williams at 2.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 11 2008, 09:55 PM) [snapback]400156[/snapback]

IDK if you got good credit but I'm still cosigning on that!
D-MARV
3king3, I noticed that you added the RJJ gif...

That combo he finished off Vinny was something serious!!!!!
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 11 2008, 10:17 PM) [snapback]400163[/snapback]
I would have Williams at #1 and Margarito at #2.

Thats how I have it!
Mean Mister Mustard

Considering Williams beat Margarito I'd say that too, but Margarito did beat Cotto while Williams got outboxed by Quintana. Even though Williams got the win in the rematch the Cotto win was more spectacular.
King Eugene
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 11 2008, 10:09 PM) [snapback]400162[/snapback]
3king3, I noticed that you added the RJJ gif...

That combo he finished off Vinny was something serious!!!!!

Yes it was...I pop in that DVD every now and then just for the entertainment. Whats so bad about it is, after the fight he cried cause he thought he hurt him.
King Eugene

Thats how I got it! Just cause Williams holds a win over him.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 11 2008, 10:33 PM) [snapback]400169[/snapback]
I look at it this way. Sure Cotto was a higher p4p fighter then Williams, but as a welterweight I don't think Cotto had any higher claim as a top welter then any other belt holders.
Williams holds a recent win over Margarito. Yes, Williams lost to Quintana but he avenged that loss in spectacular fashion so I can't hold that against him. Only reason I have Williams a notch higher. Holds a recent win over Margarito and has avenged his only loss in brutal fashion.

I think Cotto is a more accomplished Welterweight than Williams with wns over Judah and Mosley. But at the end of the day this guys have to fight one another to see who is the champ.

And if I were Williams, I'd stay the hell away from Luiz Collazo and Quintana, before fighting Margarito.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(3King3 @ Aug 12 2008, 02:35 AM) [snapback]400171[/snapback]
Yes it was...I pop in that DVD every now and then just for the entertainment. Whats so bad about it is, after the fight he cried cause he thought he hurt him.

He cried because his testes had shrunk from all the roids he was taking & roids can make you emotionally unstable.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Aug 11 2008, 10:42 PM) [snapback]400174[/snapback]
He cried because his testes had shrunk from all the roids he was taking & roids can make you emotionally unstable.

LOL.

I didn't even know he cried. I mean I know he cried after the Olympics and he looked like he wanted to after Johnson knocked his ass out after slapping him around. But I didn't know he cried after the Paz fight. He must have been crying of laughter from Paz's comments that the reason he lost the fight was because of a Caffeine Rush passing.
King Eugene
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Aug 11 2008, 10:42 PM) [snapback]400174[/snapback]

STEVENSKI IS THE.........
Method

You favored the Mayweather / Baldo fight over Mayweather / Margarito. Do you wish you could take that back?
D-MARV
QUOTE(Method @ Aug 12 2008, 09:58 AM) [snapback]400227[/snapback]
You favored the Mayweather / Baldo fight over Mayweather / Margarito. Do you wish you could take that back?

There's a big difference! First, Floyd never lost... he didn't have to go back and beat a guy that beat him. Second, Baldomir was considered the linear champ at the time! Baldo wasn't the best fighter out there but stilll... he was considered the welterweight champ.
Big Slim Sweet
It should also be noted that Clottey isn't just some guy Margarito beat. There were and still are a lot of people out there who believe Clottey would have won that fight had he not hurt both hands. In fact before Tony got the big opportunity against Cotto there were still some folks pointing to his 'unfinished business' with Clottey as a reason he shouldn't get the chance to move on to bigger and better. So a Clottey rematch is not without some merit here.

I also question the notion that there's not enough money in a fight with Mosley for Tony to seriously consider. If Shane looks great next month against Mayorga I can see a Margarito-Mosley fight as a PPV with a payday for Tony in the $5 mil range. And for Tony, a win over Shane would be more than just about the $. He would have the chance to add a sure first ballot HOFer to his resume. That counts for something as well.

But otherwise I agree that a rematch with Williams is the BEST fight at WW right now, and needs to happen no later than 2009 assuming neither man loses first.

As for who's #1 and #2, that's debatable, and both sides have a good case. I'd favor Margarito # 1 right now because A) his loss to Paul was very close (closer I think than a lot of people here seem to be remembering) and cool.gif Paul lost since to a fringe contender. Yeah he looked spectacular in the rematch but that loss did take a little of the shine off him. Remember how easily Cotto dispatched Quintana? Now compare what Margarito did to Cotto with Paul's two fights with Carlos. Either way though like I said both guys have a case.
Method
There's a big difference! First, Floyd never lost... he didn't have to go back and beat a guy that beat him. Second, Baldomir was considered the linear champ at the time! Baldo wasn't the best fighter out there but stilll... he was considered the welterweight champ.

Linear Schminear. Baldomir is GARBAGE, and a lot of people gave Floyd the "If it makes dollars..." pass.

I have no problem with Margarito looking for the most money right now. If it becomes habitual pattern, the stance will likely change.

I had his fight with Williams a draw, and could have seen it for Marg by a point.

Williams acts as if he kicked that ass from pillar to post, and that's just not the way it was. They'll fight again. Williams got the "W". He needs to stop acting like Mosley after the first DLH fight. You win the fight and then run around campaigning for the rematch.

Act "as if", for christ's sake.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 12 2008, 10:25 AM) [snapback]400231[/snapback]
Yeah, but you can also say. Look how Williams stood infront of Margarito, outworked him early and then took his best later in the fight and still never looked getting close to stopped and then see what Margarito did to Cotto.

Oh for sure. I was more just saying that you have to dock Williams a bit for that first Quintana fight, no matter how great he looked the second time around.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.