Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Larry Merchant and HBO ?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
U.S. Champ
What's up fellas been awhile. I have a question for all knowledgeable boxing fans. While watching some old Mayweather Jr fights I couldn't help but be extremely annoyed by Larry Merchant's undeniable hate for Pretty Boy which happened to be on the network PBF is employed by HBO. I mean seriously what does Floyd have to do to get his earned respect as the best P4P from that man. How can you be employed that long and not even give the best in the sport an ounce of credit that, really has me thinking. Even if you hate the man you can't just avoid the fact that he's the best boxer out there thats just not fair to fans and to keep your job in spite of that is a real head scratcher. Imagine someone dogging out Jordan during his Championship run or saying Tom Brady is an average Quarterback who got lucky and won 3 rings not saying Floyd is either but he was the best the sport had to offer during his tenure. I would like to here some real opinions on this one despite your Like or Dislike of PBF.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(U.S. Champ @ Aug 11 2008, 08:17 PM) [snapback]400137[/snapback]
What's up fellas been awhile. I have a question for all knowledgeable boxing fans. While watching some old Mayweather Jr fights I couldn't help but be extremely annoyed by Larry Merchant's undeniable hate for Pretty Boy which happened to be on the network PBF is employed by HBO. I mean seriously what does Floyd have to do to get his earned respect as the best P4P from that man. How can you be employed that long and not even give the best in the sport an ounce of credit that, really has me thinking. Even if you hate the man you can't just avoid the fact that he's the best boxer out there thats just not fair to fans and to keep your job in spite of that is a real head scratcher. Imagine someone dogging out Jordan during his Championship run or saying Tom Brady is an average Quarterback who got lucky and won 3 rings not saying Floyd is either but he was the best the sport had to offer during his tenure. I would like to here some real opinions on this one despite your Like or Dislike of PBF.

Larry Merchant likes guys who fight in phone booths, that's no secret. HBO does have Mayweather under contract but I'm willing to bet they don't like him. It's the same thing with Jones Jr. They had to have him because he was the best P4P, but hen he started getting his ass knocked out they let him go.
caneman

Larry is old school & also likes fighters more than pure boxers...kinda opposite of many on these boards. Let me tell you, when an old school guy hears someone(PBF)say he is better than Sugar Ray Robinson, he better be willing to prove it...hell to this point he ain't better than SRL. In fact as far as history goes IMO PBF ain't even Gene Fulmer or Dick Tiger great....sure he has the skills, NO FREAKING DOUBT about it. Larry doesn't wanna just hear it, he wants to see it just like I do. If you seen PBF fight williams,Cotto &/or Margarito, he(Larry)& many others would give him props as the all time great PBF says he is. He's got the skills but IMO that don't make him an all time great...fighting does that, not just saying you are!!!! You know?
barackobama

First off, Larry Merchant is a "hater" to the tenth power ESPECIALLY when it comes to African-American fighters who are boisterous, loud, and arrogant. Larry would prefer Floyd to be meek, quiet, and in a shell so to speak. It's a historical thing I won't get into right now.

Floyd will NEVER get the respect he deserves until he has fully walked away from the sport. It's a tough pill to swallow for Americans when dealing with an arrogant African-American. Merchant is no different from the general public that despises Mayweather for what? His confidence. Merchant is a joke.

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(barackobama @ Aug 11 2008, 08:45 PM) [snapback]400140[/snapback]
First off, Larry Merchant is a "hater" to the tenth power ESPECIALLY when it comes to African-American fighters who are boisterous, loud, and arrogant. Larry would prefer Floyd to be meek, quiet, and in a shell so to speak. It's a historical thing I won't get into right now.

Floyd will NEVER get the respect he deserves until he has fully walked away from the sport. It's a tough pill to swallow for Americans when dealing with an arrogant African-American. Merchant is no different from the general public that despises Mayweather for what? His confidence. Merchant is a joke.

Don't forget boring.

Seriously, Merchant only likes head on fighters and only gives respect to punchers. In the DLH-Whitaker fight he kept asking why DLH doesn't just walk through him. It's because that's what Whitaker wanted so he could counter him. It's like that thought never entered Merchant's mind. He's still the best though. Just not at judging a good gameplan.
STEVENSKI
Larry is spot on & I for one love him. He is no network bozo who toes the company line. He a man who speaks his mind not a mindless sheep or cheerleader.

Some of Floyds fans can't understand that & actually believe the crap Floyd spouts.
caneman

I don't believe that even from ass hole Larry & if anyone despises PBF I would be willing to bet it's for the reasons I listed above. Hell bro, I'd love to see PBF prove he is the greatest of all time cause I am a true fan of the sport. All I'll say is it takes more than talk & skills to be the best ever & when you claim you are the best ever & don't back it up with action, you better be ready for the back lash that comes from that! Oh that just makes us haters huh? laugh.gif
D-MARV
Larry likes the fighters... nothing wrong with that!

I like the boxers... nothing wrong with that either!
King Eugene
Larry likes few BOXERS and all FIGHTERS. If your not willing to go in head first and try to walk through punches he will give you little to no respect. But you cant blame him though, he came up when boxing consisted of many head first fighters. MOST of the good boxers now days are boxers and not fighters meaning they are defense and safety first instead of head on try to walk through punches to deliver a punch type fighters. The boxers are the type of fighters that have longer careers like Jones, Hopkins, Calzaghe, Winky, Shane (sometimes) and Tarver. I could name more but you get my point. So I dont knock him for it one bit...he just hasn't evolved a long with boxing. I mean hey, he's an old guy with his old ways!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Aug 11 2008, 10:29 PM) [snapback]400168[/snapback]
Larry likes few BOXERS and all FIGHTERS. If your not willing to go in head first and try to walk through punches he will give you little to no respect. But you cant blame him though, he came up when boxing consisted of many head first fighters. MOST of the good boxers now days are boxers and not fighters meaning they are defense and safety first instead of head on try to walk through punches to deliver a punch type fighters. The boxers are the type of fighters that have longer careers like Jones, Hopkins, Calzaghe, Winky, Shane (sometimes) and Tarver. I could name more but you get my point. So I dont knock him for it one bit...he just hasn't evolved a long with boxing. I mean hey, he's an old guy with his old ways!

Plus he has to interview Mayweather before his fights. So by fight time I'm pretty sure he's cranky. Who wouldn't?
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 11 2008, 10:35 PM) [snapback]400170[/snapback]
Plus he has to interview Mayweather before his fights. So by fight time I'm pretty sure he's cranky. Who wouldn't?

Unless you liked him who wouldnt be? LOL
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Aug 11 2008, 11:22 PM) [snapback]400185[/snapback]
Unless you liked him who wouldnt be? LOL

I'm pretty sure his mother is the only one who comes close to even stand him.
Vodoo
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 11 2008, 09:01 PM) [snapback]400158[/snapback]
Larry likes the fighters... nothing wrong with that!

I like the boxers... nothing wrong with that either!
Cosign! Also like Stevenski says LM speaks his mind and I love him for that. He used to kind of annoy me with his almost always negative views but seeing as how the guy probably got released by HBO for being so outspoken, I will miss him dearly and always have the utmost respect for him.
Method

Welcome Back, Reg_Dumb.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(barackobama @ Aug 11 2008, 07:45 PM) [snapback]400140[/snapback]

Actually Larry always loved James Toney. James is a black man, boisterous, loud, and arrogant as all fuck. Difference between Lights Out and Pretty Boy is that James was always, always ready and willing to step into the ring with whoever, and proved that time and time again.
worldsapart509
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Aug 12 2008, 08:06 AM) [snapback]400230[/snapback]
Actually Larry always loved James Toney. James is a black man, boisterous, loud, and arrogant as all fuck. Difference between Lights Out and Pretty Boy is that James was always, always ready and willing to step into the ring with whoever, and proved that time and time again.

I've been watching boxing on HBO for a long, long time and Merchant use to be a Floyd Jr. nut-hugger up until the Slave Wage remark. Also, Larry was always more a fan of the slick, punch and get out type boxer. It wasn't until the first MAB/Morales fight that Merchant starting showing more of an appreciation for the toe to toe fighter.

It was during MAB/Morales fight when I first heard him say "I am humbled". All you have to do is go back to the first Chavez/Taylor fight and listen to those guys praise everything Taylor would throw. Shoot, even during the last 16 seconds of the fight when Taylor is getting his ass severely kicked they had no praise for Chavez. Taylor gets put down with a huge right and they had nothing to say, it was as if nothing had happened, absolute silence.

Go watch that last round and you'll know what I'm talking about.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.