Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greatest Left Hook...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
Just wanna help keep the forum going!!! I noticed there has been some steady traffic since Cotto-Margarito... thumbsup_anim.gif

Who had the best left hook ever? There were lots of great ones but Im going with Roy Jones Jr.

He threw it from any angle with speed, accuracy and power. He has put many to sleep and has paralyzed a few as well!

I would also like to mention Joe Frazier, Oscar De La Hoya, Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Robinson, Julio Cesar Chavez, Tommy Morrison, and many more but I don't feel like listing everyone!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 11 2008, 10:18 PM) [snapback]400164[/snapback]
Just wanna help keep the forum going!!! I noticed there has been some steady traffic since Cotto-Margarito... thumbsup_anim.gif

Who had the best left hook ever? There were lots of great ones but Im going with Roy Jones Jr.

He threw it from any angle with speed, accuracy and power. He has put many to sleep and has paralyzed a few as well!

I would also like to mention Joe Frazier, Oscar De La Hoya, Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Robinson, Julio Cesar Chavez, Tommy Morrison, and many more but I don't feel like listing everyone!

It's a little hard to say who had THE best. Jones, I always felt, has a better left hook than right hand and it was explosive. Too bad he couldn't throw it against Tarver.

Trinidad has to have the most effective left hook in the past few years. Especially at 147 and 154 where guys would fold after tasting it once.

Today's fighters with great left hooks are Cotto, Margarito, Juan Manuel Marquez, the Peterson brothers have some good left hooks.
King Eugene
Roy had that devastating left hook in his prime! So that one is the best to me "of course"

I like Trinidads left hood combo, body then head!

Frazier had a mean one!

Damn near any punch Tyson threw was liable to hospitalize ya.

DLH had a pretty nice one TOO
Mean Mister Mustard
Reuben Olivares.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 11 2008, 09:18 PM) [snapback]400164[/snapback]

I like the topic but you can only list fighters who had amazing left hooks and not pick who had the best..I like Ray Robinson,Mickey Ward,Roy Jones,Diego Corrales---very very short left hook--he threw it perfectly,Tyson,Jerry Quarry,Gerry Cooney,Joe Frazier,and I'm very surprised noone so far has said Evander Holyfield(in my opinion,he might have the best left hook..George Foreman would agree)..It's sooo hard to decide on who had the best,since there are soo many factors like technique,speed,power,effectiveness,how accurate,and so on..Andre Berto has to be in this group after throwing 5 in a row with lightning speed..W. Klitchko deserves to be in this group too I think even though its not the best but is really effective and accurate..Well after saying all this,I would say the top 5 best left hookers are Evander Holyfield(closest to #1 of anyone),Roy Jones Jr.(he would blind you with his speed then get ya with it,it didn't matter if he put power on it cause most of the time ya didn't see it coming and that's what knocked out soo many people..Speed adds ALOT of power..Roy made it almost impossible to block the shot unless your hand was already in position to block it before he threw it..haha),Diego Corrales(I loved how short his were,the shorter=faster and soooo much harder to see),Mickey Ward(THE IRISH LEFT HOOK TO THE BODY!!yesssss sirrr),and Ray Robinson(The knock out of Fullmer says it all)..That's my top 5 in no specific order..Ya could put Tyson in the mix otherwise he'd be number 6..The power and speed he had on it was insane but Holyfield's left hook was all around better..Holyfield could throw sharp,crisp,very short left hooks on the inside that ate everyon up when in-fighting with him..He mastered the left hook by being able to throw it any angle,any distance,and basically in any situation..It was sooo effective and could knock you out to the head or body..Let me know what you all think..
Blaze
Warlord
Joe Frazier immediately comes to mind for a guy with a good left hook.

Gay La Hoya had a nice left hook as well, especially when he was still fighting around 140-147lbs.

Holyfield had a nice counter left hook, but as far as it being a pure weapon of offense I don't think it really stands up to the power of, say, a Joe Frazier left hook. But as we all know, it's not how hard you punch that counts, it's how, and more importantly, when you punch that really counts. That's why I'd agree with anyone ranking Holy high on this list. A true master of the sport.
BigG
Joe Frazier and Tito
Warlord
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 11 2008, 11:32 PM) [snapback]400197[/snapback]
Joe Frazier and Tito

The Tito sporting illegal wraps definitely had a monster left hook.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Warlord @ Aug 11 2008, 11:31 PM) [snapback]400195[/snapback]
Joe Frazier immediately comes to mind for a guy with a good left hook.

Gay La Hoya had a nice left hook as well, especially when he was still fighting around 140-147lbs.

Holyfield had a nice counter left hook, but as far as it being a pure weapon of offense I don't think it really stands up to the power of, say, a Joe Frazier left hook. But as we all know, it's not how hard you punch that counts, it's how, and more importantly, when you punch that really counts. That's why I'd agree with anyone ranking Holy high on this list. A true master of the sport.

I totally forgot to mention De La Hoya..He is up there with the best when it comes to left hooks..Frazier's left hook is classic for sure..He gave Ali a golf ball sized swelling after their first fight on his jaw which I bet would insanely painful..hahaha..Also,that's a really good way of describing Holy's left hook..He definitely is a master of the sport..He had every punch a fighter could want,amazing jab,great straight right,great left hook,and a great right uppercut(he split his glove wide open on Burt Cooper's face with a right uppercut and had to get a replacement glove after that happened)..Very few heavyweights have left uppercuts that stand out though..Ali had the best left uppercut hands down at heavyweight..No one could use it as such a weapon as he did..Left uppercut,straight right hand!!Ali mastered that..We call that in the gym the rise and chop down cause ya lift the person's head up out of their guard and the right hand is meant to put em down..Back to the subject though,I do think Holy had a lot more power then people thought in his left hook though based off of what George Foreman said years after they fought..I can remember Holyfield landing 5 left hook combo on Riddick Bowe that was real crazy..He didn't put Bowe down,but I had to rewind that atleast 5 times..Holy had his share of knock outs with his left and right..You gotta also remember that Frazier was fighting guys around his weight and Holyfield was fighting guys 30-50 lbs more then him sometimes..Holyfield's prime weight at Heavyweight was 205-210..When he got older he moved up to 220 which is still small for a heavyweight..I do think though that the bigger your legs are,the more of a punch you can absorb which is why Holy didn't knock out the bigger guys as much in my opinion as he did with guy around his own weight..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Warlord @ Aug 11 2008, 11:48 PM) [snapback]400198[/snapback]
The Tito sporting illegal wraps definitely had a monster left hook.

HAHAHAHAHA...No doubt man..
kidbazooka1
Frazier, DLH and Tito had brutal hooks upstairs.

Chavez and Olivares had the most lethal hooks to the body that I've ever seen.
Warlord
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 11 2008, 11:58 PM) [snapback]400199[/snapback]
I totally forgot to mention De La Hoya..He is up there with the best when it comes to left hooks..Frazier's left hook is classic for sure..He gave Ali a golf ball sized swelling after their first fight on his jaw which I bet would insanely painful..hahaha..Also,that's a really good way of describing Holy's left hook..He definitely is a master of the sport..He had every punch a fighter could want,amazing jab,great straight right,great left hook,and a great right uppercut(he split his glove wide open on Burt Cooper's face with a right uppercut and had to get a replacement glove after that happened)..Very few heavyweights have left uppercuts that stand out though..Ali had the best left uppercut hands down at heavyweight..No one could use it as such a weapon as he did..Left uppercut,straight right hand!!Ali mastered that..We call that in the gym the rise and chop down cause ya lift the person's head up out of their guard and the right hand is meant to put em down..Back to the subject though,I do think Holy had a lot more power then people thought in his left hook though based off of what George Foreman said years after they fought..I can remember Holyfield landing 5 left hook combo on Riddick Bowe that was real crazy..He didn't put Bowe down,but I had to rewind that atleast 5 times..Holy had his share of knock outs with his left and right..You gotta also remember that Frazier was fighting guys around his weight and Holyfield was fighting guys 30-50 lbs more then him sometimes..Holyfield's prime weight at Heavyweight was 205-210..When he got older he moved up to 220 which is still small for a heavyweight..I do think though that the bigger your legs are,the more of a punch you can absorb which is why Holy didn't knock out the bigger guys as much in my opinion as he did with guy around his own weight..

Pound for pound Holyfield was a murderous puncher, no doubt, but he wasn't a one-punch knockout artist, and at heavyweight he definitely had to put his punches together in order to really impose his will. Even though he didn't have one-punch knockout power, he still packed enough that he had fight-changing power. Just talking about Holyfield now reminds me why I loved the guy so much. He was great because he outworked, outgutted, outhearted his opponents. He could never just rely on natural talent the way other fighters do, he had to work for it. And work for it he did.

That's what drives me insane about assholes like Zab Judah, who squander what talent they have until it is too late. Can you imagine what kind of fighter Mike Tyson could've been, if he'd only had half the dedication and will-power that Holyfield had?

Or even more frightening, what if Roberto Duran had actually taken his training seriously? What if he'd been as dedicated as Rocky Marciano, Evander Holyfield, or even Floyd Mayweather, Jr? As great as it already is, where would Duran's legacy be right now if he'd actually put forth the effort in his prime to train and focus himself 100% to his craft?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I guess he won't make most people's list as he wasn't a great fighter (although he did build a halfway decent career out of it) but the best left hook I've ever seen thrown was the one Tua caught Ruiz with on the way down.

That was SICK!

Whenever I need to cheer myself up I pop on to YouTube and have a chuckle.

I believe it's one of the most watched boxing clips on the site.

In fact I'm off to watch it now.....
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(the ollie reed fan club @ Aug 12 2008, 04:10 AM) [snapback]400214[/snapback]
I guess he won't make most people's list as he wasn't a great fighter (although he did build a halfway decent career out of it) but the best left hook I've ever seen thrown was the one Tua caught Ruiz with on the way down.

That was SICK!

Whenever I need to cheer myself up I pop on to YouTube and have a chuckle.

I believe it's one of the most watched boxing clips on the site.

In fact I'm off to watch it now.....

I just watched that clip.

Ruiz took about three BIG left hooks from Tua. Man, what a knockout.

Fair play for Ruiz to come back after that horrendous knockout. That KO was enough to make most fighters quit.

Can't beleive Ruiz is only 24 years of age. He looks about 37 laugh.gif
Big Slim Sweet
David Tua's left hook may have been the most powerful punch in the history of boxing, though I'm not sure you'd say he necessarilly had the BEST left hook, in terms of technique, knowing when to throw it, etc.. Though not as famous as his blow-out of Ruiz, the left hook Tua nailed Darrell Wilson with later that year was, to me, a more perfect single shot.

Glad Holyfield is getting mentioned here. He dropped Ray Mercer with a left hook. That's all anyone needs to know about that.

For people talking about Roy Jones, you probably should also give honorable mention to Razor Ruddock. That left hook/uppercut hybrid he called the RUDDOCK SMASH was, despite the corny name, pretty hellacious. Basically it was the same punch Roy murdered Montell Griffin with.

My guess is most historians would probably list Robinson, Frazier, Marciano & Dempsey. I think Trinidad belongs in that very elite group as well.

One of the few things Jim Lampley's ever said that I agree with - If you were going to bless a fighter with one single gift, it would be a perfect left hook.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Aug 12 2008, 03:08 PM) [snapback]400265[/snapback]
David Tua's left hook may have been the most powerful punch in the history of boxing

Glad Holyfield is getting mentioned here. He dropped Ray Mercer with a left hook. That's all anyone needs to know about that.

Most powerful punch in the history of boxing??George Foreman definitely had more power than Tua..You could say that Tua probably had the biggest legs you've ever seen in the history of boxing..hahaha..Which is how he generated sooo much power in his punches cause he'd crouch down and explode like Tyson..

The comment about Ray Mercer is soo true..Lennox was never able to drop Mercer and no one else could either..If someone brings up his MMA fight,thats bullshit..That fight should of never happened..Mercer was 40+ in that fight and even though I don't wanna say it about him since I like Mercer a lot,he is kinda punchy(not like Riddick Bowe though)..Mercer has been through a lot really rough fights..Holyfield made Riddick Bowe punch drunk for life,which is really sad but true..Ray Mercer in his prime I think would of won the MMA fight easy..That fight was just for money if you ask me..
rusty_trombone
So many guys had really good left hooks. It's hard to judge them, as long as you have one punch ko power with it, i guess you're on the short list.
The Boxing Fan
Sure Dela hoya has a great left hook considering he is a Southpaw fighting conventional thumbsdown_anim.gif
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(The Boxing Fan @ Aug 12 2008, 07:29 PM) [snapback]400286[/snapback]
Sure Dela hoya has a great left hook considering he is a Southpaw fighting conventional thumbsdown_anim.gif

He's the first one in history to do that rolleyes.gif
The Boxing Fan
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Aug 12 2008, 07:30 PM) [snapback]400287[/snapback]
He's the first one in history to do that rolleyes.gif

Oh i know he isn't
Also Tua knocking David Izon was awful also
King Eugene
WOW I'm Suprised no one has mentioned THE GREAT Jeff "LEFT HOOK" Lacy! LMBO
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(The Boxing Fan @ Aug 12 2008, 06:29 PM) [snapback]400286[/snapback]

Yeah,he cheated..
PR316
If we want to take into consideration power, speed, and accuracy, then it has to be Robinson, for sure. Even though limited footage of the man at welterweight exists, you could see it not only there but even in his middleweight fights against Lamotta, Turpin, and Graziano. The man was just absolutely brilliant. He could throw it from long distance, short distance, he could throw about 5 in a row, all compact, all brutal. I still don't know how Lamotta did not fall. That 11th round alone was brutality, while the 12th and 13th were just torture.

Frazier too. Anybody who knocks down Muhammad Ali has to be mentioned.
STEVENSKI
Joe Louis had a textbook left hook. Short compact & accurate.
BigG
Good call STEVENSKI. All those left hooks he landed on Max Baer were brtual. Baer had a pretty good chin to stand up to a beating like that.
STEVENSKI
I will go for placement & technique over sheer power any day. That said the three best left hookers I have seen have all had serious power. SRR, Louis & Frazier.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 12 2008, 04:43 PM) [snapback]400274[/snapback]
Most powerful punch in the history of boxing??George Foreman definitely had more power than Tua

That's debatable. Tua may have only been a B fighter but for pure one punch power I'd say he stands alongside anyone in history.
Spyder
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 12 2008, 05:43 PM) [snapback]400274[/snapback]
Most powerful punch in the history of boxing??George Foreman definitely had more power than Tua.

I think that Earnie Shavers would argue his spot ahead of either one of those guys.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Spyder @ Aug 13 2008, 12:34 PM) [snapback]400372[/snapback]
I think that Earnie Shavers would argue his spot ahead of either one of those guys.

That's a good call Spyder..I definitely agree with you about that..I was simply sayin that I thought Foreman had more power than Tua..Shavers probably was the biggest puncher at heavyweight ever..
D-MARV
Shavers was a hard hittin MoFo
Big Slim Sweet
As was/is Tua.

I thought this thread was about left hooks?
D-MARV
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Aug 14 2008, 11:40 AM) [snapback]400514[/snapback]
As was/is Tua.

I thought this thread was about left hooks?

It Is! I just had to give shavers his props!

you know Rocky Juarez has a decent left hook!
Asian Sensation
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 12 2008, 12:58 AM) [snapback]400200[/snapback]
HAHAHAHAHA...No doubt man..

I dunno, but to help move it along here are some groovy hooks.

Asian Sensation

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Asian Sensation @ Aug 15 2008, 04:59 PM) [snapback]400740[/snapback]

Ohhhhhh yeah,everyone must of forgot that KO..I've been watchin Darnell Wilson since his ballroom boxing days..He definitely needs to be on the list of great left hooks..When he lands it,someone is gettin messed up..Only if he had better boxing skills to fight the elites,he'd be a major force at cruiserweight..Wilson Vs. Mormeck would be sweet...There's another guy who has a insane left hook,Jean Marc Mormeck..The thudding sounds of basically any of his punches tells it all..I wish Mormeck and Haye had a rematch before Haye went to heavyweight..
thehype
Ray Robinson!
Asian Sensation
Left hooks, left hooks, the best punch in boxing because when thrown short or right after a right hand the opponent never sees it.

Bob Foster, light-heavyweight champion during the late 60s and early 70s had one of the best left-hooks I've ever seen. He was long and rangy, like a 175 pound Tommy Hearns. His left hook was just lights out. His knockouts of Dick Tiger and Mike Quarry were ridiculous.

David Tua is a classic example of a one-trick pony. But when you have a left hook like his, it can get you places. His hook was just plain heavy, it didn't matter if you saw it coming because it was a wrecking ball.

Tito's hook was a bludgeoning instrument, it wasn't crisp and short like Foster's so you often times saw it, hence the lack of one-punch KOs in his career. It was heavy as hell and if he caught you clean, you were hurt bad.

I always like Rocky Juarez's hook because he was so low to the ground, just primed to turn one big hook over all the time. He would bend that knee and come up with a hook and hurt a lot of people.
GMAN73
QUOTE(Asian Sensation @ Aug 16 2008, 10:50 AM) [snapback]400858[/snapback]
Left hooks, left hooks, the best punch in boxing because when thrown short or right after a right hand the opponent never sees it.

Bob Foster, light-heavyweight champion during the late 60s and early 70s had one of the best left-hooks I've ever seen. He was long and rangy, like a 175 pound Tommy Hearns. His left hook was just lights out. His knockouts of Dick Tiger and Mike Quarry were ridiculous.

David Tua is a classic example of a one-trick pony. But when you have a left hook like his, it can get you places. His hook was just plain heavy, it didn't matter if you saw it coming because it was a wrecking ball.

Tito's hook was a bludgeoning instrument, it wasn't crisp and short like Foster's so you often times saw it, hence the lack of one-punch KOs in his career. It was heavy as hell and if he caught you clean, you were hurt bad.

I always like Rocky Juarez's hook because he was so low to the ground, just primed to turn one big hook over all the time. He would bend that knee and come up with a hook and hurt a lot of people.

Two fighters who are often overlooked that threw beautiful left hook's are Donald Curry and Mike McCallum. Both had perfect form and took a lot of the top 147-175 pound fighters from 1982-1992. IMO of course. clapping.gif
clays777
I can't believe no one said Donald Curry. Curry had a beautiful left hook, sharp, fast, and powerful.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Asian Sensation @ Aug 16 2008, 10:50 AM) [snapback]400858[/snapback]

Jab is the best punch in boxing..To have a good straight or left hook or uppercut is a bonus..A southpaw can make the best look hooker a bum and one fight in particular shows this very graphically..Chris Byrd Vs. David Tua..Tua looks like a fool in this fight for real!!Most of you don't like Chris Byrd or want to give him props but all this talk of Tua makes me have to bring this up..When I am sparring a southpaw,I have yet to land a left hook(which isn't my best punch,I'm more of a jab,straight right,and uppercut kinda guy)..The angle is to ackward and the best chance you have of landing it is when a southpaw jabs and you slip and counter..Byrd exposed Tua more than anyone ever had..All he had to do is block the left hook and he wins the fight..You always want to end a combo on a left hook(for right handers) because if you throw it correctly(short and turned over),it is the best way not to get countered..People who throw hooks on the outside can get KO'ed real quick if they aren't careful..A jab is the best punch and most effective punch because you can use it for offense or defense..You can use your jab to setup any punch you want to throw and it can be used as a major weapon(I use mine as a weapon)..You can control fights with your jab,but not your left hook..Look back in history and even today and you'll see the best jabbers win..Lennox Lewis,Ali,Larry Holmes are 3 of the best jabbers that used their jab for all the reasons you should and dominated plenty of people with it and always were able to land any of their other punches because of it too..
D-MARV
the Jab is the most importan punch in the book. Ask WInky Wright!!!
GMAN73
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 24 2008, 06:09 PM) [snapback]401763[/snapback]
Jab is the best punch in boxing..To have a good straight or left hook or uppercut is a bonus..A southpaw can make the best look hooker a bum and one fight in particular shows this very graphically..Chris Byrd Vs. David Tua..Tua looks like a fool in this fight for real!!Most of you don't like Chris Byrd or want to give him props but all this talk of Tua makes me have to bring this up..When I am sparring a southpaw,I have yet to land a left hook(which isn't my best punch,I'm more of a jab,straight right,and uppercut kinda guy)..The angle is to ackward and the best chance you have of landing it is when a southpaw jabs and you slip and counter..Byrd exposed Tua more than anyone ever had..All he had to do is block the left hook and he wins the fight..You always want to end a combo on a left hook(for right handers) because if you throw it correctly(short and turned over),it is the best way not to get countered..People who throw hooks on the outside can get KO'ed real quick if they aren't careful..A jab is the best punch and most effective punch because you can use it for offense or defense..You can use your jab to setup any punch you want to throw and it can be used as a major weapon(I use mine as a weapon)..You can control fights with your jab,but not your left hook..Look back in history and even today and you'll see the best jabbers win..Lennox Lewis,Ali,Larry Holmes are 3 of the best jabbers that used their jab for all the reasons you should and dominated plenty of people with it and always were able to land any of their other punches because of it too..

A jab is a complete necessity, but Ali got beat by the quinnessential left hooker in Frazier(and that was all he had) and if not for cuts might have lost to Henry Cooper, who had one hell of a left hook.

A great left hooker can go an awful long way in boxing, even when they lack an abundance other skills. See Trinidad and Eduardo Lausse and the aforementioned Frazier/Cooper if you don't believe me. thumbsup_anim.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 24 2008, 09:54 PM) [snapback]401788[/snapback]
the Jab is the most importan punch in the book. Ask WInky Wright!!!

Winky of all people know that..haha..W. Klitchko too!!I think the Ibragimov fight was soo impressive to see 1 heavyweight champ dominate another completely solely on their jab..It may have been boring to 95+% of people but I liked it..Klitchko could of tried a little harder to get him outta there,but the jabathon was amazing..When you hear of fighters converting from righty to lefty or lefty to righty(rare) is mostly based on having a better jab..Hell,even Bruce Lee did it!!haha..To have your best hand in front can give ya plenty of advantages..
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 24 2008, 11:05 PM) [snapback]401793[/snapback]
Winky of all people know that..haha..W. Klitchko too!!I think the Ibragimov fight was soo impressive to see 1 heavyweight champ dominate another completely solely on their jab..It may have been boring to 95+% of people but I liked it..Klitchko could of tried a little harder to get him outta there,but the jabathon was amazing..When you hear of fighters converting from righty to lefty or lefty to righty(rare) is mostly based on having a better jab..Hell,even Bruce Lee did it!!haha..To have your best hand in front can give ya plenty of advantages..

LOL... thats so true. I started boxing a 2 months ago and I decided to convert to southpaw so that my Jab would be stronger!!!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(GMAN73 @ Aug 24 2008, 10:01 PM) [snapback]401791[/snapback]
A jab is a complete necessity, but Ali got beat by the quinnessential left hooker in Frazier(and that was all he had) and if not for cuts might have lost to Henry Cooper, who had one hell of a left hook.

A great left hooker can go an awful long way in boxing, even when they lack an abundance other skills. See Trinidad and Eduardo Lausse and the aforementioned Frazier/Cooper if you don't believe me. thumbsup_anim.gif

A great straight right or uppercut can go a awful long way in boxing too..What's your point??Are you saying you think a left hook is the best punch in boxing??Ali was away from boxing for 3 years,came back and had 2 fights and after only being back in the ring for 6 months,he fought Frazier(not to take away anything from Frazier but this may of been a factor)..Also,Frazier had more than just a left hook,a left hook is just what he's known for since it was his best punch obviously..Frazier also had a good uppercut and his straight also buzzed quite a few people too..The left hook was the most common punch for him to throw and was his KO punch but it definitely was not his only weapon..Even though Frazier was real short for a heavyweight he showed a good jab when in range..You must not know Joe Frazier too well to say that a left hook was all he had..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 24 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]401796[/snapback]
LOL... thats so true. I started boxing a 2 months ago and I decided to convert to southpaw so that my Jab would be stronger!!!

My trainer wants me to convert but I'm not going to..He said my southpaw jab is harder than most peoples straight right..He also said he thinks one jab would equal one broken nose if I fully converted..hahaha..I like being righty more though..My defense is better righty than lefty even though I still need to get better defensively..I love to jab a lot but more with my left than right since my left is a faster jab..Also,no one wants anything to do with my straight right since everyone has been left bloodied or floored(and some broken ribs) by it in sparring..Never on purpose though..To tell ya the truth though,I rarely throw my straight right anymore in sparring cause I don't want anyone getting hurt(kinda weird,I know)..I'm a boxer in the ring,not a brawler..I jab A LOT and use a lot of footwork too..I usually work uppercuts in sparring and I've been trying to get my left hook goin more in sparring..It's a good left hook but I've been sparring a lot of southpaws soo it's not really the easiest punch to land..haha..Using my power aggressively isn't my thing either,I'm controlled in the ring and always set things up..My speed is normal/a little above normal for a heavyweight(200 lbs)..How would you break your self down Damarv??Have ya sparred yet or are ya still pickin up the basics??
D-MARV
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 25 2008, 12:24 AM) [snapback]401805[/snapback]
My trainer wants me to convert but I'm not going to..He said my southpaw jab is harder than most peoples straight right..He also said he thinks one jab would equal one broken nose if I fully converted..hahaha..I like being righty more though..My defense is better righty than lefty even though I still need to get better defensively..I love to jab a lot but more with my left than right since my left is a faster jab..Also,no one wants anything to do with my straight right since everyone has been left bloodied or floored(and some broken ribs) by it in sparring..Never on purpose though..To tell ya the truth though,I rarely throw my straight right anymore in sparring cause I don't want anyone getting hurt(kinda weird,I know)..I'm a boxer in the ring,not a brawler..I jab A LOT and use a lot of footwork too..I usually work uppercuts in sparring and I've been trying to get my left hook goin more in sparring..It's a good left hook but I've been sparring a lot of southpaws soo it's not really the easiest punch to land..haha..Using my power aggressively isn't my thing either,I'm controlled in the ring and always set things up..My speed is normal/a little above normal for a heavyweight(200 lbs)..How would you break your self down Damarv??Have ya sparred yet or are ya still pickin up the basics??

No I haven't sparred yet... But style wise I 'll end up having a style similar to Winky. I like to jab alot and I keep a high guard, but I still have a long way to go. I'm still working on the basics.
GMAN73
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 24 2008, 10:58 PM) [snapback]401804[/snapback]
A great straight right or uppercut can go a awful long way in boxing too..What's your point??Are you saying you think a left hook is the best punch in boxing??Ali was away from boxing for 3 years,came back and had 2 fights and after only being back in the ring for 6 months,he fought Frazier(not to take away anything from Frazier but this may of been a factor)..Also,Frazier had more than just a left hook,a left hook is just what he's known for since it was his best punch obviously..Frazier also had a good uppercut and his straight also buzzed quite a few people too..The left hook was the most common punch for him to throw and was his KO punch but it definitely was not his only weapon..Even though Frazier was real short for a heavyweight he showed a good jab when in range..You must not know Joe Frazier too well to say that a left hook was all he had..

Frazier had one of the biggest heart's in boxing history, decent enough hand speed, and tremendous stamina. I have watched film after film of Joe Frazier and never saw him wobble anyone with his right hand, his jab was at best mediocre, he led with the left hook, he dug it to the body, he closed the show with it, and he threw it in bunches. But JF fought 37 times as a pro, and was totally used up at 30. The reason IMO of course, was he was wholly one-dimensional, his whole gameplan was to land his left hook as often as possible, and if that didn't work he tried again and again.

Ali outsmarted him and Foreman dismantled him. Other than that: his one-dimension was a damn effective one for a while. thumbsup_anim.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 25 2008, 05:02 AM) [snapback]401832[/snapback]
No I haven't sparred yet... But style wise I 'll end up having a style similar to Winky. I like to jab alot and I keep a high guard, but I still have a long way to go. I'm still working on the basics.

Keep workin at it and never give up..If you're going to use a high guard make sure to keep your elbows tight to your body..My style is similar to Lennox Lewis with the movement of Ray Robinson(of course no where near as fast or light on my feet up I'm trying)..I'm 200 lbs so of course my foot work is no where near as good as his..I watch tapes of Ray Robinson while shadow boxing to help pick up some moves and stuff..I find watching someone you really want to look like(but not copy) helps sooo much while shadow boxing..W. Klitchko helped make my jab complete..My trainer told me what he wanted to see from my jab and I watched a lot of Klitchko using his jab and its weird but my jab became 100 times better..My jab is a serious weapon now..Same thing happened with my left hook,I watched a lot of Diego Corrales fights and watched him throw his left hook on the inside..So I highly suggest ya watching your fav. fighters while shadow boxing,Winky would be a perfect guy to watch while shadowing since he boxes and doesn't brawl..
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(GMAN73 @ Aug 25 2008, 11:42 AM) [snapback]401853[/snapback]
Frazier had one of the biggest heart's in boxing history, decent enough hand speed, and tremendous stamina. I have watched film after film of Joe Frazier and never saw him wobble anyone with his right hand, his jab was at best mediocre, he led with the left hook, he dug it to the body, he closed the show with it, and he threw it in bunches. But JF fought 37 times as a pro, and was totally used up at 30. The reason IMO of course, was he was wholly one-dimensional, his whole gameplan was to land his left hook as often as possible, and if that didn't work he tried again and again.

Ali outsmarted him and Foreman dismantled him. Other than that: his one-dimension was a damn effective one for a while. thumbsup_anim.gif

All those things ya said are for the most part true..His game plane was to land the left hook as much as possible since it was so effective for him and he always found a way to get it in there..I said he buzzed some people with his straight right,not almost got a knock down off it..I can recall him blasting Ali with a straight right in their first fight and Ali looked like that one buzzed him a little..Heres a pretty sweet video I just found of Frazier..Watch for his right hand punches and jab(not a whole lot,but you'll get the point)..If his jab is at best mediocre than would you be saying that the left hook isn't all he had?? thumbsup_anim.gif

Frazier---Superbeast
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.