Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cut to the Chase: It's Time for Instant Replay
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Asian Sensation
Cut to the Chase: It's Time for Instant Replay
By Ryan Songalia

There was a time when the referee was said to have the best seat in the house in a boxing fight. Yet more and more you wonder if refs should clock in from the comfort of a couch and an HD television.

Recent events in the sport beckon the call for increased competency training for a select group of refs that seem incapable of identifying one of the most prevalent mishaps in the sport, accidental head butts.

Admittedly, boxing referees have one of the hardest jobs in sports. Boxing fights move faster than most sports that don't start with a gun shot and can end at any moment. Officials are subject to the same human fallibility that burdens the rest of mankind.

But when a clear injustice such as the one that Anthony Thompson experienced last night against Ishmail Arvin at the Ibiza Night Club in Washington, DC, occurs, where does the accountability fall?

Rebounding from a pivotal loss against Yuri Foreman last year, Thompson was in the driver's seat all night, had dropped Arvin twice in the third round and appeared on his way to an impressive victory. In that same round a clash of heads occurred leaving Thompson with a nasty gash that gradually began to swell horrifically.

After the eighth round it was abundantly clear that Thompson's cut was too severe to allow the action to continue.

Typical protocol dictates that after four rounds, if an accidental head butt occurs that produces a gash that severely impairs the injured fighter's vision, the fight goes to a technical decision and whoever has won the most rounds takes home the victory.

Now that's what should have happened.

Instead what did happen was a textbook example of injustice. Referee Malik Waleed ruled the cut a product of a punch, though one would be hard-pressed to find a notable blow landed by Arvin. Thompson now returns to Philadelphia with a TKO loss.

Listening to Thompson plead to the referee "Please, don't do this to me" just breaks your heart. A man who had been inactive for more than a year looking to get back in the swing of things should be concerned with ring rust, not the incapacity of the commission; the same commission that allowed the timekeeper to ring the bell at the 2:00 mark of the second round when the house fighter Mike Anchondo was in dire straits against Darling Jiminez last year.

Upon the announcement of the farcical result, Arvin had the audacity to exclaim "What!" as if he had somehow accomplished some amazing feat. Arvin has about as much to be proud of after this last fight as Francisco Lorenzo had after the Humberto Soto fight.

Just two weeks ago Joshua Clottey had a TKO win taken away from him against Zab Judah when a cut that was shown to be the result of a vicious uppercut was incorrectly attributed to a head clash. Clottey exalted in celebration when Judah copped out, only to discover that he still had to contend with Las Vegas judges. For his sake, the officials brought their A-games and raised the correct arm.

These examples and more once again ask the question: Why hasn't the sport adapted to technology and implemented instant replays?

The WBC recently agreed to test out video replays on a trial basis. When the WBC is ahead of the rest of the boxing world, the red flag for reform is at full-staff. WBC representative Mauricio Sulaiman said that replays could help determine whether cuts were caused by butts, whether a punch was low, or whether a shot came after the bell, among other uses.

"It can help in cases when the audience in the arena and whole world is watching on television realizes that something has happened that was not correctly called by the referee, who might have missed it, because his vision was obscured."

Under the guidelines of the provisional program, a call can be overturned if a three-party panel comes into unanimous agreement that an error in judgment had occurred. The panel would be comprised of a WBC official, a local commission representative and a monitor supervisor. Hopefully a similar program becomes standard in the sport.

Luckily for Thompson, ESPN and their crew were on hand to record the cut and the commission, in all of their ineptitude, fumbling an issue that could potentially ruin a talented fighter's career.

An appeal is expected from Thompson's camp and video evidence will unveil a truth that will hang over Malik Waleed's tenure for a long time. Hopefully the commission will right their wrong and revise the record books.

-ryansongalia201@aol.com
King Eugene
Damn that sucks!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Asian Sensation @ Aug 16 2008, 12:31 AM) [snapback]400776[/snapback]
Cut to the Chase: It's Time for Instant Replay
By Ryan Songalia

There was a time when the referee was said to have the best seat in the house in a boxing fight. Yet more and more you wonder if refs should clock in from the comfort of a couch and an HD television.

Recent events in the sport beckon the call for increased competency training for a select group of refs that seem incapable of identifying one of the most prevalent mishaps in the sport, accidental head butts.

Admittedly, boxing referees have one of the hardest jobs in sports. Boxing fights move faster than most sports that don't start with a gun shot and can end at any moment. Officials are subject to the same human fallibility that burdens the rest of mankind.

But when a clear injustice such as the one that Anthony Thompson experienced last night against Ishmail Arvin at the Ibiza Night Club in Washington, DC, occurs, where does the accountability fall?

Rebounding from a pivotal loss against Yuri Foreman last year, Thompson was in the driver's seat all night, had dropped Arvin twice in the third round and appeared on his way to an impressive victory. In that same round a clash of heads occurred leaving Thompson with a nasty gash that gradually began to swell horrifically.

After the eighth round it was abundantly clear that Thompson's cut was too severe to allow the action to continue.

Typical protocol dictates that after four rounds, if an accidental head butt occurs that produces a gash that severely impairs the injured fighter's vision, the fight goes to a technical decision and whoever has won the most rounds takes home the victory.

Now that's what should have happened.

Instead what did happen was a textbook example of injustice. Referee Malik Waleed ruled the cut a product of a punch, though one would be hard-pressed to find a notable blow landed by Arvin. Thompson now returns to Philadelphia with a TKO loss.

Listening to Thompson plead to the referee "Please, don't do this to me" just breaks your heart. A man who had been inactive for more than a year looking to get back in the swing of things should be concerned with ring rust, not the incapacity of the commission; the same commission that allowed the timekeeper to ring the bell at the 2:00 mark of the second round when the house fighter Mike Anchondo was in dire straits against Darling Jiminez last year.

Upon the announcement of the farcical result, Arvin had the audacity to exclaim "What!" as if he had somehow accomplished some amazing feat. Arvin has about as much to be proud of after this last fight as Francisco Lorenzo had after the Humberto Soto fight.

Just two weeks ago Joshua Clottey had a TKO win taken away from him against Zab Judah when a cut that was shown to be the result of a vicious uppercut was incorrectly attributed to a head clash. Clottey exalted in celebration when Judah copped out, only to discover that he still had to contend with Las Vegas judges. For his sake, the officials brought their A-games and raised the correct arm.

These examples and more once again ask the question: Why hasn't the sport adapted to technology and implemented instant replays?

The WBC recently agreed to test out video replays on a trial basis. When the WBC is ahead of the rest of the boxing world, the red flag for reform is at full-staff. WBC representative Mauricio Sulaiman said that replays could help determine whether cuts were caused by butts, whether a punch was low, or whether a shot came after the bell, among other uses.

"It can help in cases when the audience in the arena and whole world is watching on television realizes that something has happened that was not correctly called by the referee, who might have missed it, because his vision was obscured."

Under the guidelines of the provisional program, a call can be overturned if a three-party panel comes into unanimous agreement that an error in judgment had occurred. The panel would be comprised of a WBC official, a local commission representative and a monitor supervisor. Hopefully a similar program becomes standard in the sport.

Luckily for Thompson, ESPN and their crew were on hand to record the cut and the commission, in all of their ineptitude, fumbling an issue that could potentially ruin a talented fighter's career.

An appeal is expected from Thompson's camp and video evidence will unveil a truth that will hang over Malik Waleed's tenure for a long time. Hopefully the commission will right their wrong and revise the record books.

-ryansongalia201@aol.com

Hey, aren't you the dude who used to posts pics of himself witha cap 2 sizes too big? What's been happening man? You stopped posting for a while there.
hardhead
A travesty what happened last night. Makes me sick!!! Here Thompson was already talking about how fucked up the amateur scoring system was. To top it off Arvin was practically in his own backyard and the fucking commissioners( fuckers looked suspicious from the jump) even though they all had watched the cut open up from a headbutt about 3 fucking times over instant replay, still didn't want to make the right call. Even after the ref admitted he had made a mistake(I don't hold him at fault because refs miss calls like that all the time, at least he was willing to look at the replay first and actually admit he made a mistake, can't say the same about the DC commission). They basically looked at the replay saw that the ref initially made the wrong call(only a blind man could not see it) and still went with the decision that the cut was caused by a punch. Pathetic!!!! Hopefully this shit gets overturned like in the Lorenzo/Soto fight.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 16 2008, 01:00 AM) [snapback]400779[/snapback]
Hey, aren't you the dude who used to posts pics of himself witha cap 2 sizes too big?

LMAO Man you are crazy! taunt.gif
BGv2.0
Man SOMETHING has to give!

I've been a boxing fan for MANY MANY years and the last few months in regard to inexcusable BULLSHIT calls by refs, doctors and commish officials has been mind numbing!

Why....all of the sudden...are BASIC SIMPLE calls being screwed up?

One theory I have is that with boxing's steady decline and MMA's climb in popularity.....I'm starting to wonder if the people that are entering the field in various positions are simply causal fans with no REAL KNOWLEDGE of the sport.

We have all seen bad calls by judges...questionable stoppages by refs......all of these things are part of the sport....have been for years.

BUT WHY...out of the blue are we getting screwed up calls on the simplest of issues such as going to score cards or not in relation to clear headbutts?

IF it is simple inexpericance and ignorance of the rules.....that can be worked on.....BUT....some of it makes you think other things are at play...and that is a much bigger problem. Boxing and dirty behind the scenes BS have ALWAYS gone hand and hand.....BUT...when it gets so bad that the dirty players are so brazen to just do things in plain sight....man.....we are beyond needing regulation at that point.

Here lately it seems as if the Bush Administration runs the boxing ring.......
Landiz_Tha Don
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 15 2008, 11:03 PM) [snapback]400785[/snapback]

I've been a boxing fan for MANY MANY years and the last few months in regard to inexcusable BULLSHIT calls by refs, doctors and commish officials has been mind numbing!

One theory I have is that with boxing's steady decline and MMA's climb in popularity.....I'm starting to wonder if the people that are entering the field in various positions are simply causal fans with no REAL KNOWLEDGE of the sport.

We have all seen bad calls by judges...questionable stoppages by refs......all of these things are part of the sport....have been for years.

BUT WHY...out of the blue are we getting screwed up calls on the simplest of issues such as going to score cards or not in relation to clear headbutts?

IF it is simple inexpericance and ignorance of the rules.....that can be worked on.....BUT....some of it makes you think other things are at play...and that is a much bigger problem. Boxing and dirty behind the scenes BS have ALWAYS gone hand and hand.....BUT...when it gets so bad that the dirty players are so brazen to just do things in plain sight....man.....we are beyond needing regulation at that point.

MAN FUK ALL THIS MMA SHIT, IF U LOVE BOXING LIKE I DO STICK TO THAT SHIT BUT IF U DONT THEN FUK U AND THAT MMA SHIT. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

FUK U IF YOU LIKE MMA.

Landiz_Tha Don

Peace!
Jack 1000

Good points,

And to add that I am in support of how the WBC is experimenting with Instant Replay. It's also great that the three member panel has to agree unanimously for any original call to be overturned. However, this doesn't take away from corrupt or biased officiating, which is built into the system, it always has been.

The problem is that the veteran commissioners and judges are now for the most part retired or dead. Because of boxing's decreased popularity in recent years, there appears to be less funding to support it than in the past. While their are exceptions, you don't have the quality training and experience as before. Nevada's own director, one of the best, Marc Ratner, went with the money and interest to head up MMA contests. This may be a sign of things to come. And that sign is not a good omen for boxing.

Jack
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Landiz_Tha Don @ Aug 16 2008, 07:34 AM) [snapback]400789[/snapback]
MAN FUK ALL THIS MMA SHIT, IF U LOVE BOXING LIKE I DO STICK TO THAT SHIT BUT IF U DONT THEN FUK U AND THAT MMA SHIT. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

FUK U IF YOU LIKE MMA.

Landiz_Tha Don

Peace!

Man you are one fucking grade A idiot. MMA is good & so is boxing. People with such a narrow viewpoint miss out on a lot in life.
STEVENSKI
It takes one to know one Stan.
Imperius3
I'm sick of this bullshit too. Hopefully last night's fight is reviewed, and the correct call will be made.
The CEO
Hey, aren't you the dude who used to posts pics of himself witha cap 2 sizes too big?

LOL!!

yeeeeaaaah.....with the clip on necktie.....
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Aug 16 2008, 10:12 AM) [snapback]400838[/snapback]
LOL!!

Well I don't remember that but is this the guy?
Romulus9
What happened last night was a disgrace. The worst part of it all is the fact that the officials saw ESPN's replay and just didn't seem to care. They knew all along what call they were going to make and stuck to it. At least the referee saw his error and admitted it.

Shady, stupid behavior. Did any of us REALLY expect any different from DC?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Aug 16 2008, 02:03 AM) [snapback]400785[/snapback]

It is true that it SEEMS as if the errors are getting more and more stupid. I don't know.

But what I can tell you about Refs and Judges is that in order to get the big bouts most of them have to play ball with the Alphabet groups and Judges.
The CEO
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 16 2008, 10:55 AM) [snapback]400849[/snapback]
Well I don't remember that but is this the guy?

Yep. You nailed him...lol

He kept posting articles and pics of himself, and we ganged on him...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Aug 16 2008, 11:08 AM) [snapback]400852[/snapback]

Nailed him? I just wanted to know if this was the guy.
Asian Sensation
Hey, aren't you the dude who used to posts pics of himself witha cap 2 sizes too big? What's been happening man? You stopped posting for a while there.

You mean this guy?

Yeah, I like a loose fitting hat, not into cranial pressure. I didn't realize this was the same forums from BTalk to sign in.
Asian Sensation
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Aug 16 2008, 11:08 AM) [snapback]400852[/snapback]

Awesome man, way to go.
Asian Sensation
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Aug 16 2008, 10:12 AM) [snapback]400838[/snapback]
LOL!!

I'm not the double windsor master, but I have enough decency to tie my own tie.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Asian Sensation @ Aug 16 2008, 11:37 AM) [snapback]400854[/snapback]
You mean this guy?

Yeah, I like a loose fitting hat, not into cranial pressure. I didn't realize this was the same forums from BTalk to sign in.

Yeah. I see you still wear them too big lol.

So what's been up. Why did you stop posting here?
Asian Sensation
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 16 2008, 11:41 AM) [snapback]400857[/snapback]
Yeah. I see you still wear them too big lol.

So what's been up. Why did you stop posting here?

Nah, that picture is old. My girl won't let me wear fitteds anymore, now it's strictly suits.

I didn't know where to go for posting anymore since BTalk didn't have a forum anymore. I didn't realize FightHype was the forum.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Asian Sensation @ Aug 16 2008, 11:53 AM) [snapback]400859[/snapback]
Nah, that picture is old. My girl won't let me wear fitteds anymore, now it's strictly suits.

I didn't know where to go for posting anymore since BTalk didn't have a forum anymore. I didn't realize FightHype was the forum.

Ah ok.
The CEO
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 16 2008, 11:30 AM) [snapback]400853[/snapback]
Nailed him? I just wanted to know if this was the guy.

You knew it was him, Mister Nice Guy.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Aug 16 2008, 12:09 PM) [snapback]400862[/snapback]
You knew it was him, Mister Nice Guy.

No I didn't C.E.O of Evil.

Well I mean I had a hunch, I mean how many posters have we had that were asian and posted thier articles all the time?

Anyway his article on the twin brothers was an interesting read.
Asian Sensation
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 16 2008, 12:19 PM) [snapback]400864[/snapback]
lol. I don't remember him being bad or anything. Just an up and coming writer that posted a shit load of articles and pics.

I like to think of myself as a good guy, though others might disagree. I hope no one gangs up on me and pwns me into major LOLage like a mayjor n00b.
The CEO
You may be a good guy and all...but on your first tour here, the consensus was that you were annoying....you weren't appreciated....we'll see what happens this time....

If you're trying to get a job or want exposure for your work, why don't you just email Hype with your material and ask him straight up....

and FYI...this forum isn't like the others....this is a smart board....you better come correct if you want respect.
Asian Sensation
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Aug 16 2008, 01:34 PM) [snapback]400869[/snapback]
You may be a good guy and all...but on your first tour here, the consensus was that you were annoying....you weren't appreciated....we'll see what happens this time....

If you're trying to get a job or want exposure for your work, why don't you just email Hype with your material and ask him straight up....
and FYI...this forum isn't like the others....this is a smart board....you better come correct if you want respect.

Exposure? No thanks, I'm happy with my job at BoxingScene. Hype is cool peoples in my book, I'm sure he thinks the same of me.

Smart forum, you mean like no nuthuggers? Excellent.
TheWhiteBuffalo
My recollection is that Asian Infestation was using the boxingtalk board as his own personal daily blog.

He might be a cool cat, but back in the day it was totally ANNOYING.

.....I was afraid that he would gradually work his way up to posting pictures of family trips, picnics and his Uncle Lee's new tractor....
Asian Sensation
QUOTE(TheWhiteBuffalo @ Aug 16 2008, 03:48 PM) [snapback]400875[/snapback]
My recollection is that Asian Infestation was using the boxingtalk board as his own personal daily blog.

He might be a cool cat, but back in the day it was totally ANNOYING.

.....I was afraid that he would gradually work his way up to posting pictures of family trips, picnics and his Uncle Lee's new tractor....

Don't forget PacLand as well.

Sensational=Teh Ghey!! LOL PWNAGE!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.