Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Boxer Gunned Down!!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Boxingjunkie
Promising boxer gunned down in Bronx

Updated: August 16, 2008, 8:26 PM EST 5
NEW YORK (AP)

Police say a promising New York City boxer is dead after being shot during a fight in the Bronx.

Ronney Vargas was gunned down about 3:30 a.m. Saturday after the dispute with a group of men who fled the scene in a white car.

Police say the 20-year-old Vargas was shot once in the torso. The three-time Golden Gloves champion was pronounced dead at the hospital.

No arrests have been made.

The junior middleweight turned professional last year and was 8-0. He lived in the Bronx with his family.
STEVENSKI
Sad stuff indeed. Hope they catch the thugs that did this.
Mino
Damn, this kid was on the undercard of the Margarito- Cotto double header, and looked pretty good...The the reason I remember is because after the fight I was right next to him in the hallways and he was with atleast 10 dudes and all of them acting like assholes..And I remember saying to my wife Im gona remember this dude hope he gets good and I want to see him get hisface smashed in...To bad he went out the way he did but im really not surprised cuz he and his boys looked like big time trouble makers...Wasted Talent
BigG
looks like we lost a very good talent to the streets. RIP.
D-MARV
RIP
WolfishPromistah
What I read in reports is that the shooting possibly played out as the direct result of some supposed flirting between Vargas group and one, or both, of the girls accompanying the shooter(s). It is truly sad that this young guy, by what is known of him in the ring already, was possibly destined to be a future boxing superstar, which can now never be because of something so senseless like this. Rest in peace, young Ronny "Venezuela" Vargas.

We gotta be careful out there in "territory," fellas (wink).
FireStarter
QUOTE(Mino @ Aug 18 2008, 04:58 AM) [snapback]401029[/snapback]
Damn, this kid was on the undercard of the Margarito- Cotto double header, and looked pretty good...The the reason I remember is because after the fight I was right next to him in the hallways and he was with atleast 10 dudes and all of them acting like assholes..And I remember saying to my wife Im gona remember this dude hope he gets good and I want to see him get hisface smashed in...To bad he went out the way he did but im really not surprised cuz he and his boys looked like big time trouble makers...Wasted Talent

You have your facts wrong. The kid you saw was not Ronny Vargas. The 10 dudes acting like assholes were not his boys. He did not fight under Cotto-Margarito.

FenderDG3
QUOTE(FireStarter @ Aug 19 2008, 04:10 PM) [snapback]401192[/snapback]
You have your facts wrong. The kid you saw was not Ronny Vargas. The 10 dudes acting like assholes were not his boys. He did not fight under Cotto-Margarito.

I think he was talking about the card that had Margo vs. Cintron II and Cotto vs. Gomez on it. I'll have to check to see if he fought on that card, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to the Cotto-Margarito card.
FenderDG3
Just checked it out... he was referring the the Cotto-Gomez card and was correct about Ronnie fighting on the undercard. He said the Margarito-Cotto double header. Before telling somebody they don't have their facts right maybe you should read a post instead of just skimming it because he didn't say Margarito VS. Cotto.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(FireStarter @ Aug 19 2008, 09:10 PM) [snapback]401192[/snapback]

Why don't you just fuck off back to your message board. Oh thats right you closed it so you may as well ghost write some more B Artest articles about your deadbeat never will be fighters like Shitty Shay.
FenderDG3
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Aug 19 2008, 09:47 PM) [snapback]401219[/snapback]
Why don't you just fuck off back to your message board. Oh thats right you closed it so you may as well ghost write some more B Artest articles about your deadbeat never will be fighters like Shitty Shay.

LMAO
Mino
QUOTE(FenderDG3 @ Aug 19 2008, 06:05 PM) [snapback]401199[/snapback]
Just checked it out... he was referring the the Cotto-Gomez card and was correct about Ronnie fighting on the undercard. He said the Margarito-Cotto double header. Before telling somebody they don't have their facts right maybe you should read a post instead of just skimming it because he didn't say Margarito VS. Cotto.

Thank u for clearing that up...I was referring to the Card in AC co-featuring Cotto and Margarito...PPL need to read shit right b4 they talk shit.....
caneman
QUOTE(Mino @ Aug 20 2008, 09:10 PM) [snapback]401284[/snapback]
Thank u for clearing that up...I was referring to the Card in AC co-featuring Cotto and Margarito...PPL need to read shit right b4 they talk shit.....

but but talking shit is the american way bro focus.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Mino @ Aug 21 2008, 01:10 AM) [snapback]401284[/snapback]

Man thats Greg Fucking Leon you are talking about bro. He is the biggest piece of trash in the boxing news world. Have some respect for the lil ho.
Mino
QUOTE(caneman @ Aug 20 2008, 09:25 PM) [snapback]401286[/snapback]
but but talking shit is the american way bro focus.gif

OK...talk shit all u like no prob here, but atleast have a clue about what u are talking about..that would help a lil bit
Boxingjunkie
Former boxing champ Secovic stabbed to death

Updated: August 26, 2008, 1:08 PM EST Comment

VIENNA, Austria (AP) - Edip Secovic, a former WAA boxing champion, died early Tuesday in a knife fight at his own pub. He was 50.

The body of the Serbia-born Austrian boxer was found around 6 a.m. on the sidewalk in front of the pub in a southern Vienna district, police said.

Secovic won the WAA super middleweight world title in 1988 and added a European title in the same category a year later. He was Austria's most successful boxer winning 30 of his 40 professional fights before retiring in 2002.

Nicknamed the "Serbian Bull," Secovic was Serbia's junior champion before moving to Austria to start a professional career in 1980.

He won the 1983 Austrian middleweight title and became world champion five years later after beating Bryan Grant of the United States in a first-round knockout.

After retiring, Secovic worked as a boxing coach and opened The Champ's Pub in Vienna. The fight started inside this pub Tuesday and continued outside, police said. Secovic was stabbed four times in the chest and neck, with several witnesses reporting they saw two men fighting.

Police found a knife and later arrested a 26-year-old Russian national who had blood on his clothes. The man said he had been inside the pub but could not remember what happened, police said.

Secovic is survived by his wife, Mira, and their three children, Bernhard, Emir and Anita.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.