Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mainstream music today
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
BigG
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/char...llboard+Hot+100

*Sigh*

Everything here except Chris Brown's "Forever" is garbage. Man what is music coming to.

Disturbia by Rihanna at #1? Not feeling that...

Crush by David Archuleta at # 2? Cheesy pop bubblegum crap...
BigG
True Fitz. Kanye gets played alot and is actually one of the most famous alive today and I love his work...but alot of the most popular shit today seems so Disney...I guess I'm just strictly a Hip-Hop/RnB guy but I do like the occasional Rock hit. I liked Linkin' Park. But listen to # 2...that sounds like something only a teenage girl would listen to lol.
BigG
Fitz if you liked Homecoming you'll feel his albums. Homecoming is not even a top 20 track of his. Check out "I Wonder", "Good Life", "Champion", "Flashing Lights", "Bittersweet" from his new album. Kanye is really a breathe of fresh air compared to the other mainstream hip hop artists (Soulja Boy, T.I, Rick Ross, Young Joc, Hurrican Cris, Flo Rida).
blackbelt2003
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 23 2008, 05:04 AM) [snapback]401587[/snapback]
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/char...llboard+Hot+100

*Sigh*

Everything here except Chris Brown's "Forever" is garbage. Man what is music coming to.

Disturbia by Rihanna at #1? Not feeling that...

Crush by David Archuleta at # 2? Cheesy pop bubblegum crap...

LOL, 'what is music coming to?' spoken by a hip hop/r n b head? LOL, now that's irony!

Look man, you know I'm a true head when it comes to hip hop, but in reality, hip hop has no place in the music industry when you have true musicians putting stuff out. Musically, hip hop cannot even begin to compare to some of the rock giants.

I'm sure all of the real musicians, singing and playing instruments, started saying 'what is music coming to?' way back when NWA and Public Enemy started hitting the charts.

Hip hop is a genre outside of music. Done properly, it's a wonderful, beautiful, creative art form...but not for it's musical capabilities.

Black
D-MARV
Kanye West is a very good artist. He has yet to put out a whack album. I don't listen to a a lot of rap because I dont appreciate alot of whats going on. I do listen to Kanye, Nas, AZ, Jay Z, Mod Def, Common, and Lil Wayne (haha, I just like his talent). It just seems like anyone can make a one hit wonder now-a-days!

Im an old school guy myself! Donny Hathaway (HU, stand up!!!!), Al Green, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye! I listen to them a lot
Byrd Man
Two Words: THE ROOTS.

An ACTUAL band. They play their own instruments, and are one of the best Hip Hop acts out there.
KookedKrack
keyword is MAINSTREAM but there is good music everywhere you just have to know where to look
Douchebag
QUOTE(KookedKrack @ Aug 23 2008, 12:09 PM) [snapback]401618[/snapback]
keyword is MAINSTREAM but there is good music everywhere you just have to know where to look

Let me find out you where one of the crazy Joe Budden fans that used run around in Reason. LMAO.
BigG
QUOTE(blackbelt2003 @ Aug 23 2008, 09:51 AM) [snapback]401603[/snapback]
LOL, 'what is music coming to?' spoken by a hip hop/r n b head? LOL, now that's irony!

Look man, you know I'm a true head when it comes to hip hop, but in reality, hip hop has no place in the music industry when you have true musicians putting stuff out. Musically, hip hop cannot even begin to compare to some of the rock giants.

I'm sure all of the real musicians, singing and playing instruments, started saying 'what is music coming to?' way back when NWA and Public Enemy started hitting the charts.

Hip hop is a genre outside of music. Done properly, it's a wonderful, beautiful, creative art form...but not for it's musical capabilities.

Black

I agree...but my point was every song on the top 10 billboard charts is so Disney,bubblegum pop bullshit..I just cant vibe to that. I mean Soulja Boy is even making the top 10 and he is garbage to the fullest. Sean Kingston? I just cant vibe to those artists but thats just me..I wasn't comparing any rapper to giant rock bands.
rusty_trombone
yo, who doesn't want to superman some hoes? get with it george.
The CEO
I bet this ho is Supermanable....

STEVENSKI
Personally I hate Hip Hop. Not because it is ghetto or anything like that but because it is FAKE & potrays a wannabe thug mentality.

Byrd Man
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Aug 23 2008, 11:41 PM) [snapback]401684[/snapback]
Personally I hate Hip Hop. Not because it is ghetto or anything like that but because it is FAKE & potrays a wannabe thug mentality.

Stop listening to the radio and watching the video channels. Get out and hear REAL hip hop, and see that it's not about that. At least not all of it.

That's like saying "I hate Rock music because it's all about drugs and whores"
D-MARV
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Aug 23 2008, 11:41 PM) [snapback]401684[/snapback]

Some form of Hip Hop does exactly what your saying! But you need to get out and do some research and you'll see that some cats out there really have skills and spit about some real life stuff!
BigG
I dont thinK STEVENSKI's heard much good hip hop. Hes probably only been exposed to 50 cent and artists like that. But Nas, Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, Joe Budden, Immortal Technique, Rakim (I can go on) are great hip hop and great music artists. I'm not gonna compare them to great rock bands but these guys really got messages in their track particularly Nas which is why he's the GOAT and highly respected.

Then you have the unknown guys like Cage (best white rapper besides Eminem) who really spit some crazy shit in his 2 albums..

But Soulja Boy with "She got a got a donk *claps* She got a donk" is way more popular lol.
Byrd Man
For those thinking that hip hop is all about "thug" mentality and not about anything.

Joe Budden - Three Sides to a Story.

Pay attention to the lyrics as this tells a story from three different perspectives about one big situation.

1. The guy who just got out of jail and is trying to go straight. 2. his sister who is hiding a dark secret that has the potential to REALLY fuck shit up. 3. His mother's boyfriend who also is harboring a dark secret.

One of the best hip hop tracks I've ever heard.

D-MARV
What's Joe Buddens' best album???
Byrd Man
His first album was pretty good. Just called "Joe Budden". Mood Musik 3 is pretty good as well.

His first album had the hit "Pump It up" *video below*

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 24 2008, 12:45 PM) [snapback]401720[/snapback]
Some form of Hip Hop does exactly what your saying! But you need to get out and do some research and you'll see that some cats out there really have skills and spit about some real life stuff!

Yeah the real stuff from the streets is good & has feeling & a dose of reality. It will never get airplay & I like it like that as it keeps it underground but there is plenty of punk muthafuckers like Jay Z & co who rap about bullshit they never did & make millions out of being fakes.

BigG

Joe rhyming over Broken Wings beat...so good..
D-MARV
Joe be killing it'

SOOO Underrated!!!!
BigG

And how can you not love old school Redman everything he released was awesome.
BigG
This isn't really an actual track on any album...He just simply rhymed over the beat
ROLL DEEP
Why has this thread turned into a rap debate? laugh.gif

Mainstream music will always be ahit and miss affair.

Normally, the charts will be full of 'watered down' versions of the various genres of music. For instance, in England, a lot of the electro house thats gets in the charts is hardly played if you go to a proper electro house club and the hardcore fans of that music hate the songs that are in the charts.

Same as Hip-hop heads. They normally love rap, but the stuff that gets released in the charts normally sucks ass and isn't a true representation of their beloved genre (Lil Wayne..... *shudders*)

Its pretty much the same with all forms of music. If it's too 'out there' or too controversial then it won't appeal to the masses, which means no 's....or $$$$'s.

Thats why you have cheesy shit r'n'b, plastic happy dance tracks, and corny rock songs that litter the charts, whilst the true forms of that genre normally get left for the real fans.

Sometimes good songs ARE released in the charts and make it.....but because so much rubbish is released, people are scared to say they like it, which in turn has formed the 'music snobs'.
BigG
ROLL our boy Canibus with his mad scientist voice will never reach the charts.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 25 2008, 05:05 AM) [snapback]401833[/snapback]
ROLL our boy Canibus with his mad scientist voice will never reach the charts.

Yeah, I know thumbsdown_anim.gif

How can Lil Wayne, talking about sucking lollipops in stupid, retarted voices or whatever the fuck he talks about but Canibus, talking about the mad, crazy shit he does, not?

Damn masses. Ah, well.

On another note, some mainstream artsits are real good. First one that comes to mind is Amy Winehouse. I know shes a fuck up, but one of the most talented singers/songwriters in a LOOOOOONG time. Her material is awesome, imo.
blackbelt2003
A lot of chart stuff is amazing...Foo Fighters, Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, The Editors, Muse, all of those rock guys make incredible tracks that are also consumer-friendly.

It's only the R&B/hip hop side that is let down so badly by commercial misrepresentation.

Black
BigG
I totally agree with that. And the cheesy pop too...that just sucks but I understand why its on top. I just listen to Soulja Boy, Flo Rida, Nelly, Black Eyed Peas, Bow Wow, Young Joc, Rick Ross, T.I, and the list goes on and it's just garbage. It's all about the beats with them. Usually they got 1 club banger that gets played on radios, vid gets shown on MTV and then the rest of the album is trash. I like Chris Brown though...

The only mainstream hip-hop thats good is Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Game, Jay-Z (but even he hasnt been releasing good shit lately IMO), and yes Nas. Lil Wayne actually has some decent tracks but has alot of shitty ones. The rest you just gotta look up (Royce, Budden etc)
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 26 2008, 10:56 AM) [snapback]401988[/snapback]
I totally agree with that. And the cheesy pop too...that just sucks but I understand why its on top. I just listen to Soulja Boy, Flo Rida, Nelly, Black Eyed Peas, Bow Wow, Young Joc, Rick Ross, T.I, and the list goes on and it's just garbage. It's all about the beats with them. Usually they got 1 club banger that gets played on radios, vid gets shown on MTV and then the rest of the album is trash. I like Chris Brown though...

The only mainstream hip-hop thats good is Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Game, Jay-Z (but even he hasnt been releasing good shit lately IMO), and yes Nas. Lil Wayne actually has some decent tracks but has alot of shitty ones. The rest you just gotta look up (Royce, Budden etc)

I disagree BigG!!!! Nelly and T.I are more than just Commerccial!!!!
Nelly's Country Grammer was a very underrated album!
BigG
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 25 2008, 02:07 AM) [snapback]401774[/snapback]
That's what I was saying before about DJ's. They take music from songs that were already good and then make adjustments.

Oh I forgot to tell you fitz I'm not sure about your hiphop knowledge though I remember you saying you were a big fan of THEE GAYEST GROUP EVER Black Eyed Peas haha.gif
BigG
One mainstream band I've grown to like recently is Coldplay....some of their songs are pretty good!

When I was ripping on Mainstream music, I was ripping on guys like Jonas Brothers, Soulja Boy, Miley, Sean Kingston, Fergie...that's just garbage.
ROLL DEEP
Coldplay are bad ass.

Love their music.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 20 2008, 09:51 PM) [snapback]412141[/snapback]
One mainstream band I've grown to like recently is Coldplay....some of their songs are pretty good!

When I was ripping on Mainstream music, I was ripping on guys like Jonas Brothers, Soulja Boy, Miley, Sean Kingston, Fergie...that's just garbage.

Coldplay? Did you mean U3?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.