Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which era was better??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JonnyBlaze
I actually brought this up in another topic about wanting to know what you all thought about which of these 2 eras were better in boxing..The Sugar Ray Robinson,Carmen Basilio,Gene Fullmer,Jake Lamotta or the Sugar Ray Leonard,Tommy Hearns,Marvin Hagler,Roberto Duran era...Of course there are plenty of fighters I left out for each era but those 4 for each give ya a good comparison right away..It's a real tough decision for me,but might not be for others of you.. Also,if you think a different era is better than one of those for these weights speak up!!
King Eugene
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 26 2008, 10:26 PM) [snapback]402050[/snapback]
I actually brought this up in another topic about wanting to know what you all thought about which of these 2 eras were better in boxing..The Sugar Ray Robinson,Carmen Basilio,Gene Fullmer,Jake Lamotta or the Sugar Ray Leonard,Tommy Hearns,Marvin Hagler,Roberto Duran era...Of course there are plenty of fighters I left out for each era but those 4 for each give ya a good comparison right away..It's a real tough decision for me,but might not be for others of you.. Also,if you think a different era is better than one of those for these weights speak up!!

Hell I wasn't born until the EARLY 80's so damn near all those fighters I watched fight on Classics and replays. I dont feel like I've been around long enough to make an even credible opinion on that. I'll just say I enjoyed what I saw, I appreciate the foundation they've layed for boxing today, and its good to see these fighters are still getting the respect they deserve for what all they have done for boxing! thumbsup_anim.gif
GMAN73
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 26 2008, 09:26 PM) [snapback]402050[/snapback]

My favorite era for middleweights: 1991-1995
Michael Nunn, Iran Barkley, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Darrin Van Horn, Frankie Liles, Julian Jackson, James Toney, Reggie Johnson, Roy Jones Jr., Mike McCallum, Sumbu Kalambay, Gerald McClellan, Bernard Hopkins, Thomas Tate, Herol Graham, Steve Collins, Michael Watson,Terry Norris, Gianfranco Rosi, Vinny Pazienza, John David Jackson, Verno Phillips, Carl Daniels, and Aaron Davis.

* They were all active and fighting one another for a 7 year span, the deepest pool I have ever seen at or around 160.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(GMAN73 @ Aug 27 2008, 02:51 PM) [snapback]402184[/snapback]
My favorite era for middleweights: 1991-1995
Michael Nunn, Iran Barkley, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Darrin Van Horn, Frankie Liles, Julian Jackson, James Toney, Reggie Johnson, Roy Jones Jr., Mike McCallum, Sumbu Kalambay, Gerald McClellan, Bernard Hopkins, Thomas Tate, Herol Graham, Steve Collins, Michael Watson,Terry Norris, Gianfranco Rosi, Vinny Pazienza, John David Jackson, Verno Phillips, Carl Daniels, and Aaron Davis.

* They were all active and fighting one another for a 7 year span, the deepest pool I have ever seen at or around 160.

This was a great era but I've decided my favorite was Sugar Ray Robinson's era for middle and welterweight..Sugar Ray Robinson,Gene Fullmer,Carmen Basilio,Jake La Motta,Rocky Graziano,Dick Tiger,Benny Paret,Emile Griffith,Rubin Carter,Tony Demarco,Johnny Saxton...Everyone fought everyone back then..

Jones and McCallum should have fought in 1991 I think and not in 1996..McCallum put up a fight but I would of really liked to have seen them fight when McCallum was 5 years younger..That would of been a amazing year for McCallum if he fought Roy Jones then..He would of had a draw with James Toney and a great fight with Jones..Too bad it didn't happened earlier instead of Roy fighting a older,but still very smart McCallum..I also would of wanted to see Iran Barkley Vs. McCallum..It would of been a really fun fight to see like the Barkley/Toney fight..McCallum UD win for sure in my mind over Barkley..
GMAN73
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 27 2008, 04:46 PM) [snapback]402208[/snapback]
This was a great era but I've decided my favorite was Sugar Ray Robinson's era for middle and welterweight..Sugar Ray Robinson,Gene Fullmer,Carmen Basilio,Jake La Motta,Rocky Graziano,Dick Tiger,Benny Paret,Emile Griffith,Rubin Carter,Tony Demarco,Johnny Saxton...Everyone fought everyone back then..

Jones and McCallum should have fought in 1991 I think and not in 1996..McCallum put up a fight but I would of really liked to have seen them fight when McCallum was 5 years younger..That would of been a amazing year for McCallum if he fought Roy Jones then..He would of had a draw with James Toney and a great fight with Jones..Too bad it didn't happened earlier instead of Roy fighting a older,but still very smart McCallum..I also would of wanted to see Iran Barkley Vs. McCallum..It would of been a really fun fight to see like the Barkley/Toney fight..McCallum UD win for sure in my mind over Barkley..

I think McCallum would have stopped Barkley late, Barkley was a little too reckless and MM would have picked him apart.

You forgot Kid Gavilan, Bobo Olson, Johnny Bratton, Tony Zale and Billy Graham.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(GMAN73 @ Aug 27 2008, 07:01 PM) [snapback]402236[/snapback]
I think McCallum would have stopped Barkley late, Barkley was a little too reckless and MM would have picked him apart.

You forgot Kid Gavilan, Bobo Olson, Johnny Bratton, Tony Zale and Billy Graham.

haha,no doubt I forgot them..There was just too many to name!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.