Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pac-DLH Official for Dec 6?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
BigG
EPSN is reporting it. DLH chose the biggest event...He will be too big for Manny.
D-MARV
Could be interesting...

Im pulling for PacMan
Douchebag
If Pac-Man pulls it out where do you rank him with the all time greats.
BigG
I don't like how Oscar looked in his last fight. He was getting tagged....Manny has been coming into fights at 146-148 pounds recently same as Steve Forbes..Oscar still got about 5-6 inches on him and he's so much bigger. I think DLH will stop Manny in the middle rounds.
Mean Mister Mustard
Say it ain't so.

Anyway, if it does happen expect DLH to miss with a lot of his combos. Pacquiao's defense is very good now and his footwork gets him out of trouble a lot. DLH should go to the body to slow him down.
The CEO
Good....maybe this will make more educated fans hate DLH after he beats up the former Light Strawweight in Pacquiao....lol
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Aug 27 2008, 12:36 PM) [snapback]402153[/snapback]
If Pac-Man pulls it out where do you rank him with the all time greats.

Greatest p4p of all time.

laugh.gif
Spyder
This fight sounds more like a circus than an actual bout.
Jack 1000
My question is,

Why was it originally called off and now rumored to be back on? Are they that desperate for a Delahoya win?

Jack
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Aug 27 2008, 02:12 PM) [snapback]402177[/snapback]
My question is,

Why was it originally called off and now rumored to be back on? Are they that desperate for a Delahoya win?

Jack

The reason they give is that it was over the split. But really it was DeLaHoya stalling in hopes that Mayweather would change his mind.
Imperius3
From a financial standpoint, this does make the most sense. Pac does have a bigger fanbase than Margarito.

Am I disappointed? A little.

I'm gonna try to be positive about it though. Pacquiao has been coming in at the welterweight limit his past couple of fights. He's a young, ferocious little beast. But DLH's size and strength might be too much to overcome. It could be a great fight. And hey, who can say for sure DLH will really retire after this fight?
Spyder
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Aug 27 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]402180[/snapback]
who can say for sure DLH will really retire after this fight?

Seriously, DLH's retirement fight is guaranteed to make bank...now imagine if he has TWO!!
rusty_trombone
What did the money split end up being?
hardhead
Obviously I think this fight will sell very well( It's DLH he might not be as big a draw as he used to but still the biggest draw in the sport) and be a very successful event, HOWEVER I think it's all going to backfire on the sport(and Oscar) when the fight turns out to be a one sided beat down and the people that ordered it(not hard core boxing fans who either don't buy it or do buy it knowing what's going to happen but to big of an event to pass up) and the media will jump all over Boxing for making a mismatch and cheating the fans, same old same old etc etc. Basically when all the smoke clears I think it's going to hurt the sport more than it helped.

The ONLY way this can be good for Boxing is if Pacquiao beats DLH(or it's a very close competitive fight which then negative focus will be DLH) on but I just don't see that remotely close to happening. Of course I hope I'm wrong and Pacquiao miraculously whips DLH's ass but to me that's wishful thinking.
hardhead
Basically I think this fight is a fucking joke. thumbsdown_anim.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif
treyes7123
This will be the first time that I'll be rooting for Manny when he has fought a Mexican. I have no respect for DLH because he should be fighting Margarito. I hope Roach is right about Manny being able to beat DLH.
BoxingStill#1
I actually see this being a tough night for DLH........the ONLY advantage he will have is his size.....and the fact that Pacman cant hurt him.

Pacman was the "most money for the least risk"........

BoxingStill#1
65/35
salvador
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Aug 27 2008, 03:34 PM) [snapback]402180[/snapback]
From a financial standpoint, this does make the most sense. Pac does have a bigger fanbase than Margarito.

Are you sure? I thought that I read (here) that Cotto-Margarito did 500K PPV buys. I don't think Manny has ever approached that number. I could be very wrong.

I think that DLH Margarito would generate much more excitement with the media and with the Mexicans, and I really think the event would be much bigger - not to mention more legit.

And I don't think that Margarito would have the balls to even ask for 40%. I suspect that if DLH offered him $7MM, Marg would be there all day.

I think DLH just doesn't want to fight Marg. It's amazing to think that DLH is the same guy who stepped in the ring with BHop, Quartey, Tito, ect.

PR316
De La Hoya via controversial, possibly undeserved decision. He's old and shot now so this will be competitive. 7 years ago this isn't even close. Oscar ices him. He ain't stopping Pacquiao. Not fast enough anymore. But he'll pull it out in the end.
hardhead
QUOTE(salvador @ Aug 27 2008, 08:24 PM) [snapback]402194[/snapback]
Are you sure? I thought that I read (here) that Cotto-Margarito did 500K PPV buys. I don't think Manny has ever approached that number. I could be very wrong.

I think that DLH Margarito would generate much more excitement with the media and with the Mexicans, and I really think the event would be much bigger - not to mention more legit.

And I don't think that Margarito would have the balls to even ask for 40%. I suspect that if DLH offered him $7MM, Marg would be there all day.

I think DLH just doesn't want to fight Marg. It's amazing to think that DLH is the same guy who stepped in the ring with BHop, Quartey, Tito, ect.

I agree for the most part, I think Margarito/DLH is an easy sell and invokes much more excitement among the hard cores and mexicans/mexican americans etc as it does the casual(who I would guess at the most know Pacquiao a little more than Margarito but not that much to where it's substantial because the Cotto fight lifted Margarito's name up a little recently). Shit if they actually promoted a little bit(DLH has that kind of pull with the media) it would be even better and that fight is way more competitive than Pacquiao/DLH. It also sets up the winner facing Williams in another competitive big fight for the division and the sport.

Pacquiao/Marquez actually did well, around 400,000 and some change but the Pacquiao/Diaz was something like around 100,000 if I remember correctly.

I want to be optimistic and wish for the best but I just cannot do that for some reason. I've lost pretty much most of the respect I've had left for DLH.
salvador
QUOTE(PR316 @ Aug 27 2008, 04:34 PM) [snapback]402195[/snapback]
De La Hoya via controversial, possibly undeserved decision. He's old and shot now so this will be competitive. 7 years ago this isn't even close. Oscar ices him. He ain't stopping Pacquiao. Not fast enough anymore. But he'll pull it out in the end.

Manny doesn't run like Floyd, and Oscar will eat as many straight left hands as he needs to in order to land his left hook to the body. Manny gets ko'd in 6.

I really hope Merchant is there to ask Oscar some tough questions after the fight.

Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(hardhead @ Aug 27 2008, 02:57 PM) [snapback]402187[/snapback]
Basically I think this fight is a fucking joke. thumbsdown_anim.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif

+1
rusty_trombone
The opponent for DLH's retirement fight has been named:

Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(BoxingStill#1 @ Aug 27 2008, 03:08 PM) [snapback]402191[/snapback]
and the fact that Pacman cant hurt him.

Hmmmmmm

I'n not so sure....
Douchebag
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Aug 27 2008, 04:59 PM) [snapback]402201[/snapback]
Hmmmmmm

I'n not so sure....

DLH has a great chin. If he could avoid being hurt by head shots from guys like Trinidad, B-Hop, Vargas, Chavez, Gatti etc. He isn't going to be hurt by Pacquiao.
hardhead
QUOTE(salvador @ Aug 27 2008, 08:43 PM) [snapback]402198[/snapback]
Manny doesn't run like Floyd, and Oscar will eat as many straight left hands as he needs to in order to land his left hook to the body. Manny gets ko'd in 6.

I really hope Merchant is there to ask Oscar some tough questions after the fight.

Fuck Larry, give me Jim Grey...:lol:Don't get me wrong Larry is a fucking dog on the post fight interviews but Grey is a whole nother animal!!! laugh.gif
salvador
QUOTE(hardhead @ Aug 27 2008, 05:18 PM) [snapback]402204[/snapback]
Fuck Larry, give me Jim Grey...:lol:Don't get me wrong Larry is a fucking dog on the post fight interviews but Grey is a whole nother animal!!! laugh.gif

I have to believe that after a few drinks, Larry's disgust at this matchup will be the most interesting spectacle of the night. I can easily see Larry just deciding that his career at HBO is over anyway, that he's getting pushed out by Kellerman, and that he might as well go out on his shield and go after the Golden Boy.

I love Grey, but he just doesn't have the same conviction/venom/severe drinking problem. Maybe he needs to take up Vodka!
hardhead
QUOTE(salvador @ Aug 27 2008, 09:27 PM) [snapback]402205[/snapback]
I have to believe that after a few drinks, Larry's disgust at this matchup will be the most interesting spectacle of the night. I can easily see Larry just deciding that his career at HBO is over anyway, that he's getting pushed out by Kellerman, and that he might as well go out on his shield and go after the Golden Boy.

I love Grey, but he just doesn't have the same conviction/venom/severe drinking problem. Maybe he needs to take up Vodka!

Yea, I have to say that Larry probably will more than likely come hard, and with more passion/venom than anyone, if this shit ends up being a one sided beat down or a let down of some sort. That probably will be one of those classic Larry moments for sure but in a good way because everybody else will feel the same way..haha I just know with grey you know he's going straight to dick/jerk mode no matter what..haha
JonnyBlaze
I hope this fight doesn't happen..De La Hoya only wants him cause he's #1 P4P and wants to bring Pac-man outta his weight range to beat the new #1 P4P..Just like he did with Mayweather..De La Hoya knows he can do this to all the P4P champs because money will persuade any fighter these days.."The big payday" is what this fight should be called..Yeah,Pac-man makes a lot in each of his fights,but not like this fight(no matter what the split is I bet)..

Pac-man may have came into a fight at around 145 but that is the day of the fight after adding on a bunch of weight..If Pac-man comes in around that,all the water weight and eatting could bring him around 150+ which I think is wayyy too much for him at this time..He needs to slowly build up and not just shoot up..If this fight is happening it should take place in over a year to let Pac-man adjust to the weight change and not just 4 months!!
FenderDG3
I don't think Manny will be able to bring his power up with him all the way to 147, but with his speed I could see him out boxing DLH for 12 rounds. That is if Manny can stay away from DLH's left hook. My heart is telling me that Manny will win a UD, but my head is telling me to pick DLH TKO 8.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(FenderDG3 @ Aug 27 2008, 05:29 PM) [snapback]402212[/snapback]
I don't think Manny will be able to bring his power up with him all the way to 147, but with his speed I could see him out boxing DLH for 12 rounds. That is if Manny can stay away from DLH's left hook. My heart is telling me that Manny will win a UD, but my head is telling me to pick DLH TKO 8.

Pac-man has a good chance of nothing getting hit with the left hook or at least too much..Southpaws are the hardest fighters to land left hooks on..Its funny how a southpaw is soo much more deadly if they have a good right hook against rightys but its the opposite for the righty..I know I have serious problems landing left hooks on southpaws but I'm not the best left hooker anyway..Chris Byrd vs. David Tua is a good example of a real good left hooker vs. a southpaw..Although,Chris Byrd is just plain hard to hit period..
FenderDG3
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Aug 27 2008, 05:39 PM) [snapback]402215[/snapback]
Pac-man has a good chance of nothing getting hit with the left hook or at least too much..Southpaws are the hardest fighters to land left hooks on..Its funny how a southpaw is soo much more deadly if they have a good right hook against rightys but its the opposite for the righty..I know I have serious problems landing left hooks on southpaws but I'm not the best left hooker anyway..Chris Byrd vs. David Tua is a good example of a real good left hooker vs. a southpaw..Although,Chris Byrd is just plain hard to hit period..

Good point. I brought that up because other than just getting bullied or pushed around the ring, DLH's left hook is the only thing I could think Manny would be worried about. I'm sure everybody know's DLH is only going to use his jab for the first few rounds.
King Eugene
I'm assuming for DLH this fight isnt for the fans (despite what he says), this is for one last big cash out/high payday and low risk. They dont give a damn about the fans on this one, they want that money and with both of their names they know people are going to buy it even though they dont agree with the matchup. I mean be real, your last fight of your career you would want it to be a big one but not tooooooooooo risky. Who the hell wants to risk getting knocked out their last go around when you can get paid more with less risk. I'd rather see him fight Margarito or P. Will but I cant knock him for it.

I say to hell with it, he bad enough to step up, talk junk, and take that risk for that money then knock his ass out!
hardhead
I don't see Manny being able to fuck with DLH's jab, that shit will be stinging Pacquiao's head first ass, people talk about Forbes and how DLH couldn't knock him out and touch him a whole lot but when it comes to slickness and defense: Forbes>>>>>>>>Pacquiao. Pacquiao is not hard to hit at all, but he overwhelms fighters with speed and power but at 147 I don't see him carrying his power, and his speed will not be enough to where DLH will be caught off guard and be puzzled(that's where the jab comes in) IMO of course. I think this is a gross mismatch(even with this version of DLH). I thought manny looked excellent against Diaz, his footwork was much improved from the Marquez fight, he looked comfortable and strong and looked like the active swarming Manny of old but at the same time it was David Diaz, tough hard nosed fighter with tons of heart and desire but not even close to being the best fighter at 135(I thought a faded Morales beat him by decision). Moving up and fighting DLH who is much bigger, stronger and skilled himself is going to be a VERY tall task for the smaller man and that's putting it lightly.

Like I said I will pull for Manny(it would be INCREDIBLE if he won) but I just can''t see this shit anything other than a one sided beating.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(FenderDG3 @ Aug 27 2008, 05:48 PM) [snapback]402217[/snapback]
Good point. I brought that up because other than just getting bullied or pushed around the ring, DLH's left hook is the only thing I could think Manny would be worried about. I'm sure everybody know's DLH is only going to use his jab for the first few rounds.

If DLH uses his jab and keeps it going the whole fight,that will be his best weapon for sure..I hate when DLH decides to use his jab in the beginning and abandon it..Why the hell does he fight righty then??Some might just for his left hook but DLH's jab is his best punch..What would be pretty cool is if DLH decides to switch to southpaw and use his left with more power than just his jab if he can't land his left hook..You are right though,DLH is going to use his size to try to bully Pac-man..I hope DLH is sparring a lot and working on countering Pac-man's jab with his left hook..He doesn't have the best sparring options though(no one can replicate Pac-man,especially outta a southpaw stance)..
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(The Conscience @ Aug 27 2008, 04:03 PM) [snapback]402203[/snapback]
DLH has a great chin. If he could avoid being hurt by head shots from guys like Trinidad, B-Hop, Vargas, Chavez, Gatti etc. He isn't going to be hurt by Pacquiao.

If this fight takes place @ 147 lbs then I can see Paquiao putting the hurt on a weight drained de la Hoya....
Imperius3
QUOTE(salvador @ Aug 27 2008, 03:24 PM) [snapback]402194[/snapback]

It seems Pac has a bigger fanbase. When I talk to people on the street, most seem to be more familiar with Pac than Margarito. Could be wrong though. And I agree, DLH-Margarito would still be a huge event and much much more legit.

Maybe DLH feels he deserves a break after all the tough challenges he's had (like moving up to fight Hopkins). But c'mon now...why not finish your career like you started it. Go out guns blazing. DLH would be remembered for a long time if he went out against Margarito...especially if he won.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Spyder @ Aug 27 2008, 02:27 PM) [snapback]402169[/snapback]
This fight sounds more like a circus than an actual bout.

That's exactly what it is Spyder ..... A CIRCUS.

In any case, I'm going to pray the Pac-Man knocks DLH out.
King Eugene
When its all said and done DLH is going to literally beat him up and make a whole lot of money doing it. You will all watch it eventually. Hell if you dont pay for it or go somewhere and watch it for free, or wait for it to come on for free the next weekend. If you hate the fight so much start a boycott!

And weather he fights Pac-man or Margarito he will always be remembered as one of the greats.
Jack 1000
It's bad for one reason only, the weight disparity. But Oscar could have done worse, a lot worse. At least Manny always comes to fight and is a pressure fight. We won't be subjected to another waltz, (i.e Mayweather-Delahoya II) or a Mayweather infomercial. (Delahoya-Forbes.) It sucks that Oscar isn't fighting Margarito. But I think he sees this as much too big a risk for his farewell fight. People are interested in this fight for the significance of it being Oscar's final fight, more than the issues of the difference in weight. The casual boxing fan (and their are few left) sees the event of Oscar's final fight against a very proven champion. That's not too bad.

I think Oscar wins because of the weight in the late rounds. But at least Manny Pacquiao will go down swinging. The most important element? At what weight will they contest this fight?

Jack
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Aug 28 2008, 09:14 PM) [snapback]402384[/snapback]
It's bad for one reason only, the weight disparity. But Oscar could have done worse, a lot worse. At least Manny always comes to fight and is a pressure fight. We won't be subjected to another waltz, (i.e Mayweather-Delahoya II) or a Mayweather infomercial. (Delahoya-Forbes.) It sucks that Oscar isn't fighting Margarito. But I think he sees this as much too big a risk for his farewell fight. People are interested in this fight for the significance of it being Oscar's final fight, more than the issues of the difference in weight. The casual boxing fan (and their are few left) sees the event of Oscar's final fight against a very proven champion. That's not too bad.

I think Oscar wins because of the weight in the late rounds. But at least Manny Pacquiao will go down swinging. The most important element? At what weight will they contest this fight?

Jack

I agree dude..Oscar could have done a lot worse..I think if this is his last fight this fight would be more entertaining and all around better than a Mora fight..I am not a Mora fan at all soo maybe it's because of that..

This fight is just a money fight I think..Also,it is soo obvious that DLH has a obsession with beating a #1 P4P fighter before his career is over..I bet he is a lot happier he is fighting Pac-man than Mayweather since he can actually win this one..I hope they have this fight as low as Oscar can get down to..If Oscar could make 140,which I doubt,this would actually be a lot better of a fight than if it's at 147..The least amount of weight classes Pac-man jumps,the better..My bet is the fight will be at 147..
JaRaNDa
This is what I posted a month or so regarding this fight and wanted to bring it up again as I STILL feel the exact same way, now evan more now that the circus show has been signed!!

This is one big fuckin joke! How can either side have the nerves to anounce to the media that they are actually discussing this as a potential fight!! This is clearly to claim a fuck load of cash for both fighters considering DLH and Pacquaio are the biggest boxers in the world!!

This is an insult to boxing! not only will I loose a ton of respect for De La Hoya as a fighter but also as a promoter! This is the guy that will take over boxing for real once King & Arum are out (next 10 years?) and if these are the type of decisions he will be making I got question weather he really is good for boxing? DLH said he wanted to go out with a bang and is going to do so by leaving the sport by fighting fighters 2 & 4 divisions smaller than him in his last 2 fights?

Pacman-Hatton imho is even a stupid fight to think about considering the weight difference! But most importantly the reason this pisses me off is we are getting robbed of great/important fights in each fighters respected divisions!! Pac-Man just moved up and is in questionably the deepest division in the sport at the moment and he is going to claim a title as a champ and not fight any of the top or best guys there?

I know DLH started his career at 130 but lets remember Manny started at 106 !!! Manny has once fought at 106 while DLH has fought at 160! how is this evan a discussion?? Many people in boxing have the mentality that by moving up divisions adds significance to the fight or thier career but most the times it's not the case anymore! Hopkins is a good example of a fighter staying at the one division and cleaning up, no one had doubts on who the best middleweight was from mid 90's to mid 00's! Exception of latley as he is older & it's understandable he has moved weight because his body is no longer how it used to in his prime!

I don't think anyone around 140 should come into either fighters mind! Here are a list of fights I feel would be more worthy, realistic, competative and apropriate for each fighters...
DLH-Margarito
DLH-Trinidad II
DLH-Cotto
DLH-Williams
DLH-Clottey
DLH-Mora?
DLH-Pavlik?
DLH-Wright?

Pacquiao-Marquez III
Pacquiao-Marquez III
Pacquiao-Marquez III
Pacquiao-Guzman
Pacquiao-Casamayor
Pacquiao-Valero
Pacquiao-Campbell
Pacquiao-Diaz
Pacquiao-Katsidis

Fuck both fighters for even thinking and speaking of this fight to the media!

Pac-man should not let off the loose, he is just as big of a money slut as DLH based on the fights I listed above!! How can either fighter say they want to fight the best and take this fight? DLH saying he wanted to go out with '3 fights' fighting the best?? Forbes??? pacman?? please the dude is a fucking little boy next to him!!! DLH has in no way shape or form back his words up regarding how he wants to leave the sport!!!
Only result this fight deserves is DLH KO Pac-man COLD in the first 10secs on the fight with the crowd left booing! or this to be a soft DLH-Hopkins style fight with it going the distance and the crowd starting a riot!!
Chi-Town
I've been converted!!! LOL

Let me start off by saying that I, like MANY others, believe this fight is a farce and a total mismatch. I will also go on record as saying that up until the events of the last few months, I was a very big DeLaHoya fan and supporter. The way he has blatently ducked Margarito to fight the smallest guy he's fought in over 10 years has completely turned me off to him. What I find even more dispicable is the way he has treated Margarito. I'm not Mexican, but if I were I think I would be very offended by the fact that in the biggest Mexico vs. Puerto Rico fight of the 2000s, this jag off comes out and publicly states he's pulling for Cotto...are you fuckin serious?! That's like me saying I hope the Packers beat the Bears in the NFC Championship or some crazy shit like that.

In any event, I read something very interesting yesterday, I peruse so many boxing sites every day that I'm not exactly sure where I read it, maybe Doug Fisher. Anyway, Freddy Roach is quoted as saying that at the beginning of camp for the Mayweather fight, Ivan calderon was brought in as the chief sparring partner and was basically getting in Oscar's ass! Maybe Pac has some kind of chance in this thing if that's true.
Spyder
Yes Oscar is much bigger. Yes it is a money fight. Yes both fighters could be fighting better fights.

But I think the biggest question in this whole thing is...

Why does Manny hate Mexico so much?!

laugh.gif

I mean, he targets and destroys every great mexican fighter that will agree to fight him. Maybe he had a piece of that Chorizo that tried to assassinate The C.E.O.

laugh.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Spyder @ Aug 29 2008, 03:39 PM) [snapback]402459[/snapback]
Yes Oscar is much bigger. Yes it is a money fight. Yes both fighters could be fighting better fights.

laugh.gif

I mean, he targets and destroys every great mexican fighter that will agree to fight him. Maybe he had a piece of that Chorizo that tried to assassinate The C.E.O.

laugh.gif

Ha!

hardhead
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Aug 29 2008, 08:37 AM) [snapback]402420[/snapback]
This is what I posted a month or so regarding this fight and wanted to bring it up again as I STILL feel the exact same way, now evan more now that the circus show has been signed!!
Pac-man should not let off the loose, he is just as big of a money slut as DLH based on the fights I listed above!! How can either fighter say they want to fight the best and take this fight? DLH saying he wanted to go out with '3 fights' fighting the best?? Forbes??? pacman?? please the dude is a fucking little boy next to him!!! DLH has in no way shape or form back his words up regarding how he wants to leave the sport!!!
Only result this fight deserves is DLH KO Pac-man COLD in the first 10secs on the fight with the crowd left booing! or this to be a soft DLH-Hopkins style fight with it going the distance and the crowd starting a riot!!

I totally agree. I was REALLY looking forward to seeing Manny fight at 135 and take on guys like Cassamyor, Campbell, Diaz, Katsidis etc. Hopefully regardless of the outcome Manny goes back down to 135.
The CEO
QUOTE(Spyder @ Aug 29 2008, 03:39 PM) [snapback]402459[/snapback]

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif
JaRaNDa
hardhead - I totally agree. I was REALLY looking forward to seeing Manny fight at 135 and take on guys like Cassamyor, Campbell, Diaz, Katsidis etc. Hopefully regardless of the outcome Manny goes back down to 135.

Yeah but even if this is the case and moves back down to fight them what good is that? He would only be hurting himself by moving up to welter to only move back down 2 divisions again, it won't be the same now cuz manny would have hurt himself too much at this point! That's what burns me inside the most we won't ever see those fights or a least not to the potential it could have reached now! I think this is a really bad move for Manny's career in the long run!
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Aug 30 2008, 11:02 PM) [snapback]402607[/snapback]
Yeah but even if this is the case and moves back down to fight them what good is that? He would only be hurting himself by moving up to welter to only move back down 2 divisions again, it won't be the same now cuz manny would have hurt himself too much at this point! That's what burns me inside the most we won't ever see those fights or a least not to the potential it could have reached now! I think this is a really bad move for Manny's career in the long run!

Not necessarilly. Manny's been coming into fights at around 147 the last couple of years anyway so the only difference for him this time should be that he doesn't have to melt down to make weight in the final days leading up. If he gets beat up as most expect him to he still could go back down to lightweight for some of those fights. If he somehow wins however then it would be tough to see him dropping back, considering there would be much bigger money fights for him at welter, particulary PBF, who would no doubt pole-vault himself out of retirement for the opportunity to fight Pacman.

I don't think you can fault Manny at all for this move. We've been saying for years here, everyone gets a pass for the chance to fight Oscar. The money and exposure is once-in-a-lifetime. Plus he's going up two weight divisions to take on a likely first-ballot HOFer who some fans - inexplicably IMO - still regard as one of the best in the sport. Let's not forget that a little over a year ago Oscar actually won - again, inexplicably IMO - one of the scorecards against Mayweather. And more than a few fans agreed. This is not a bitch move by Manny at all.

Oscar, however, comes off looking like a fucking disgrace. And to think he's actually trying to act like this is his ticket into the Mexicans fans hearts. Pacman could very well prove to be a tough fight for him. That will never erase the way he shamelessy ducked Antonio Margarito, a fighter who embodies everything the Mexican fans love about their fighters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.