Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oscar De La Puta: Taking the easy way out.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Landiz_Tha Don
Oscar De La Puta leave like a champ and fight Margarito or leave like a chump and fight Pacman.

You fought a past prime Julio Cesar Chavez even though you knew you were going to lose every Mexican/Mexican-Americans respect.

You not only fought him once but twice even though you knew you were going to lose all of the Mexicans respect.

Man up and give Margarito a chance, like JCC gave you a chance. Then all Mexicans would respect you.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20080...r2830806500.jpg

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=17026&more=1

Landiz_Tha Don

Peace!
King Eugene
I say end your career how you want to end it. If Oscar wants to fight for more money and less risk then go ahead. Hell its his last fight, why risk being permanently injured for life in your very last fight. This is more like a victory lap...he has nothing else to prove. Look at all the tremendous fights he has given the fans in the past. People make it seem like this one fight will really defy his career. No matter what anybody says they can not take away what that man has done. Dont get me wrong, I'm not a fan but I am a man that understands. This is a dangerous sport and he isnt getting any younger. So when I hear and read when people say he is taking the easy way out, I disagree and say he's taking the smart and safe way out.

And this passing the torch stuff is kind of ridiculous to me. This aint the damn Olympics, you dont have to lose to a fight to an up and coming fighter to defy your career as over. Thats BS to me, there are a lot of other ways you can help the new up and coming fighter out instead of having to get into a fight with him and lose to him.

I think it so stupid when people say in order to be considered a great you have to lose a fight and then avenge that lost in order to be considered Great. LOL dumbasses! Prime examples of how people swear Mayweather and Calzaghe arent all that good cause they haven't lost yet so we cant see what type of fighter they really are as far as their heart, will, and determination to be great. Hell Roy got his ass KO'd twice and hit damn near rock bottom, did he avenge his loses NO, even though he tried to with one of them but you cant tell me he still isnt an all time great from what he did previously! offtopic.gif yea I know but I had to get it out while it was all going through my mind.

So back to the initial Topic DLH is still a Champ and not a Chump to me.
D-MARV
I think "Someone" needs to forget about Margarito-De La Hoya!!!! Margarito better get his mind right for Clottey...

Oscar make that paper!!!! You still aint shit but you'll have a pocket full of money. LOL
GMAN73
In 25 years Oscar DeLaHoya will be mentioned in the same breath as Sugar Ray Leonard, where Antonio Margarito will be likened to Pipino Cuevas or Carlos Palomino. SRL never fought Palomino or Cuevas and no one ever brings that up, and if DLH never fights Cotto or Margarito, no one will remember that either.

Oscar DeLaHoya is a legend of the sport already, And fighting AM will neither help or hurt his standing as an all-time great.

King Eugene
QUOTE(GMAN73 @ Aug 27 2008, 10:01 PM) [snapback]402248[/snapback]
fighting AM will neither help or hurt his standing as an all-time great.

not at all!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(GMAN73 @ Aug 27 2008, 09:01 PM) [snapback]402248[/snapback]
Oscar DeLaHoya is a legend of the sport already, And fighting AM will neither help or hurt his standing as an all-time great.

This is how I feel about Mayweather Jr..I don't like Floyd outside of the ring and I think that's why everyone hates on him so much..I just like his skill..

I also feel this way about DLH..He has done enough in boxing and he just wants to make a event outta his last fight..DLH is obsessed with being on PPV..
BigG
Too be honest, I'm not too mad at it. Margarito and his fans are probably mad but to me its like who gives a shit who DLH fights in his retirement...don't really care. He could have fought Mora, Tito..it wouldn't have mattered to me.

Hopefully Pacquiao moves back down and continues his business at 135 after this fight.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 27 2008, 10:45 PM) [snapback]402264[/snapback]
Too be honest, I'm not too mad at it. Margarito and his fans are probably mad but to me its like who gives a shit who DLH fights in his retirement...don't really care. He could have fought Mora, Tito..it wouldn't have mattered to me.

Hopefully Pacquiao moves back down and continues his business at 135 after this fight.

I think I'd rather see a Pac-man/DLH fight than Mora for DLH's last fight..It'd be crazy if Pac-man shows to be a true force at welter,but I don't think so..I don't think Pac-man will be able to take welterweight punches too well..
Landiz_Tha Don
QUOTE(3King3 @ Aug 27 2008, 06:23 PM) [snapback]402244[/snapback]
I say end your career how you want to end it. If Oscar wants to fight for more money and less risk then go ahead. Hell its his last fight, why risk being permanently injured for life in your very last fight. This is more like a victory lap...he has nothing else to prove. Look at all the tremendous fights he has given the fans in the past. People make it seem like this one fight will really defy his career. No matter what anybody says they can not take away what that man has done. Dont get me wrong, I'm not a fan but I am a man that understands. This is a dangerous sport and he isnt getting any younger. So when I hear and read when people say he is taking the easy way out, I disagree and say he's taking the smart and safe way out.

And this passing the torch stuff is kind of ridiculous to me. This aint the damn Olympics, you dont have to lose to a fight to an up and coming fighter to defy your career as over. Thats BS to me, there are a lot of other ways you can help the new up and coming fighter out instead of having to get into a fight with him and lose to him.

I think it so stupid when people say in order to be considered a great you have to lose a fight and then avenge that lost in order to be considered Great. LOL dumbasses! Prime examples of how people swear Mayweather and Calzaghe arent all that good cause they haven't lost yet so we cant see what type of fighter they really are as far as their heart, will, and determination to be great. Hell Roy got his ass KO'd twice and hit damn near rock bottom, did he avenge his loses NO, even though he tried to with one of them but you cant tell me he still isnt an all time great from what he did previously! offtopic.gif yea I know but I had to get it out while it was all going through my mind.

Thats your opinion, and im alright with it.
But you just dont see what hes been about these past 5-7 yrs. Give me more, more, more, and more money. Shit he aint taking my money.
He doesnt care about the fans. What about those three fights he was going to give his fans that were supossedly going to be fight of the year candidates??? Give me a break he fought Forbes!!! and now a former Straweight!!!
Oscar De La Puta your a CHUMP!!!

Landiz_Tha Don

Peace!
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(Landiz_Tha Don @ Aug 27 2008, 11:29 PM) [snapback]402273[/snapback]
He doesnt care about the fans. What about those three fights he was going to give his fans that were supossedly going to be fight of the year candidates??? Give me a break he fought Forbes!!! and now a former Straweight!!!

haha..You make it sound sooo much worse than it already does sound with the former straweight comment..That's a big blow to deliver to this discussion..Forbes was meant for a tune-up in my opinion,which he needed..
kidbazooka1
Fighting Manny is a no win situation if Oscar wins like most believe he would he would have just beaent up on a little guy but if he losses his legacy will be tarnished forever unlike if he lost to Margarito.

Oscar is all about the money now he thinks he's gonna have an easy outing with Manny but greed might just comback and bight him in the ass.
Vodoo
QUOTE(3King3 @ Aug 27 2008, 08:23 PM) [snapback]402244[/snapback]

I can almost agree with this train of thought but there is one thing that bothers me. The weight class. You want an easy fight on your way out, fine with me. I ain't paying for it regardless of who he fights anyway. However, when you fight a guy 4 weightclasses lower than where you currently campaign, you deserve to be criticized. Badly. This isn't a fight, it's an exhibition and the only slight care I have regarding it, is hoping Pac somehow does the impossible and beats the living crap out of Oscar.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Vodoo @ Aug 28 2008, 01:09 AM) [snapback]402280[/snapback]
I can almost agree with this train of thought but there is one thing that bothers me. The weight class. You want an easy fight on your way out, fine with me. I ain't paying for it regardless of who he fights anyway. However, when you fight a guy 4 weightclasses lower than where you currently campaign, you deserve to be criticized. Badly. This isn't a fight, it's an exhibition and the only slight care I have regarding it, is hoping Pac somehow does the impossible and beats the living crap out of Oscar.

Oh I agree with the weight part. He should atleast fight someone with a some what credible name not far from his weight class. I feel Pac is too small too but hey he felt he was the next biggest name out there. If you think about it all he has been looking for lately was big names, thats why he wanted to fight Mayweather again. If Pac whoops him I'll be laughing like hell tho.

I think some people are taking this just a little tooooooooo serious. Dont get me wrong I'm a big time boxing fan but at the end of the day its all entertaiment and all we are getting from it is Entertainment. No money or anything else but entertainment. So its going to be entertaining to me to see what just may happen. Weather its a big bully beating up one of the little kids or a David vs. Goliath type situation where the least suspected happens.

He should have picked another Steve Forbes type/caliber fighter tho. WALTER "TWO GUNS" WRIGHT in my opinion. LOL Hell whatever happen to him anyway?
King Eugene
QUOTE(Landiz_Tha Don @ Aug 28 2008, 12:29 AM) [snapback]402273[/snapback]
Give me a break he fought Forbes!!!

Forbes use to be a Lightweight Champ and a Contender finalist! LMBO
EpTXCHAMP
I think some people r being a lil harsh on DLH. the guy has sealed his legacy and hasnt backed down from anyone he fought Pernell when he could've avoided him,tito, gave shane a rematch, and fought vargas so I think he's earned a pass or two. Would I have liked to see him fight P-will,margarito or cotto instead of course the majority of the boxing world would but at least pac is a step up from forbes. Bottom line we all know DLh wanted to go out with a winnable fight that would make money and this is it.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Aug 28 2008, 01:15 AM) [snapback]402286[/snapback]
I think some people r being a lil harsh on DLH. the guy has sealed his legacy and hasnt backed down from anyone he fought Pernell when he could've avoided him,tito, gave shane a rematch, and fought vargas so I think he's earned a pass or two. Would I have liked to see him fight P-will,margarito or cotto instead of course the majority of the boxing world would but at least pac is a step up from forbes. Bottom line we all know DLh wanted to go out with a winnable fight that would make money and this is it.

Paul Williams would be a sweet fight for DLH..I'd wanna see how he'd handle that fight..That fight would be the only one he'd agree to of the 3 you named.."I won't fight a mexican again""I won't fight a PR again"----come on..I don't understand that shit..Then he'll say he promised his wife..Well he should be looking for a good fight instead of not fighting someone cause they are a certain ethnicity..That's not the sign of a true champ..This is his last fight though,so he should just go for a fight that makes dollars..He'll never go broke because of Golden Boy Promotions and his great stable hes got on there(he better start pickin up more young guys since the very top guys in the stable are at the end of their career)..Still for his last fight,why not fight a smaller guy who has the #1 P4P ranking..hahaha..He is a smart business man!!

Don't get me wrong though,I really like DLH and he's a great fighter..I've always liked watching his fights..
Mean Mister Mustard
This is why promoters keep making and putting crappy fights on PPV. Because there are boxing "fans" so gullible out there who will buy anything and never want to criticize fighters.

Wake up! Us boxing fans are the consumers, we make these guys rich and if there is a fight being made that we don't likr we should voive our opinions and complain. I know if DLH-Pac man comes off it's going to make dollars regardless of whether I buy it or not. But it would be nice to know that more fans would be outraged to pay up to 60 dollars to see a 35 year old nitpicker taking on a recent lightweight.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 28 2008, 11:49 AM) [snapback]402301[/snapback]
This is why promoters keep making and putting crappy fights on PPV. Because there are boxing "fans" so gullible out there who will buy anything and never want to criticize fighters.

Wake up! Us boxing fans are the consumers, we make these guys rich and if there is a fight being made that we don't likr we should voive our opinions and complain. I know if DLH-Pac man comes off it's going to make dollars regardless of whether I buy it or not. But it would be nice to know that more fans would be outraged to pay up to 60 dollars to see a 35 year old nitpicker taking on a recent lightweight.

I get what your saying but why should people be outraged golden boy isnt holding a gun to peoples head and making them buy it! If you dont like the fight dont buy it or do what i do go to a bar or jus get a bunch of friends to pitch in only pay like 5-10 bucks a pop. Would I have like DLH to fight margs yes but at least this fight is better than mora or forbes. heck this fight will prob even have more action than his fight with mayweather all I'm saying is it could be worse glare.gif
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 28 2008, 12:49 PM) [snapback]402301[/snapback]

Wake up! Us boxing fans are the consumers, we make these guys rich and if there is a fight being made that we don't like we should voice our opinions and complain. I know if DLH-Pac man comes off it's going to make dollars regardless of whether I buy it or not. But it would be nice to know that more fans would be outraged to pay up to 60 dollars to see a 35 year old nitpicker taking on a recent lightweight.

I agree with Mustard,

I am sure that Lampley is already practicing the pom pom routines for the countdown show. But at this point, its not about legacy and all that shit. It's an easy win against a smaller superstar fighter for the money so Oscar can go out and look good. People will be watching just because it's Oscar's farewell fight. HBO PPV has too much of cash cow in him to go out on a high risk match. They need him to win so Lampley can write a farewell soliloquy. My hope is that Merchant might bash this fight on the air for the mismatch that it is. I wonder if he will do that? If Larry gets reprimanded, so be it, he won't be around too much longer. They are just waiting for the time to get "I never met a slick elusive boxer I didn't like or HBO contracted fighter that I didn't like" Kellerman in there full time, so we will be stuck with two pom-pom girls whenever the "HBO guy" is fighting.

Thank God for Al Bernstein and Showtime. But if they were really smart, Delahoya's GBP would put this on commercial TV in prime time and think of it more as an event than a fight. Properly promoted the ratings would be huge and at least people in the mainstream would be talking boxing again. It's sort of like Ali-Spinks II. That was the last big fight that Ali could win because his prime had long past. Critics say that he put forth a half-assed effort in the first fight to do just enough to lose so that he could get a rematch. However, I remember that the 15th round in the first fight was really good where they both gave it there all.

I believe that we have to view Delahoya-Pacquiao for what it is, Oscar's final fight with almost a certain win against a big name smaller opponent. This is more of an event than a competitive fight.

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 28 2008, 12:49 PM) [snapback]402301[/snapback]

Wake up! Us boxing fans are the consumers, we make these guys rich and if there is a fight being made that we don't like we should voice our opinions and complain. I know if DLH-Pac man comes off it's going to make dollars regardless of whether I buy it or not. But it would be nice to know that more fans would be outraged to pay up to 60 dollars to see a 35 year old nitpicker taking on a recent lightweight.

I agree with Mustard,

I am sure that Lampley is already practicing the pom pom routines for the countdown show. But at this point, its not about legacy and all that shit. It's an easy win against a smaller superstar fighter for the money so Oscar can go out and look good. People will be watching just because it's Oscar's farewell fight. HBO PPV has too much of cash cow in him to go out on a high risk match. They need him to win so Lampley can write a farewell soliloquy. My hope is that Merchant might bash this fight on the air for the mismatch that it is. I wonder if he will do that? If Larry gets reprimanded, so be it, he won't be around too much longer. They are just waiting for the time to get "I never met a slick elusive boxer I didn't like or HBO contracted fighter that I didn't like" Kellerman in there full time, so we will be stuck with two pom-pom girls whenever the "HBO guy" is fighting.

Thank God for Al Bernstein and Showtime. But if they were really smart, Delahoya's GBP would put this on commercial TV in prime time and think of it more as an event than a fight. Properly promoted the ratings would be huge and at least people in the mainstream would be talking boxing again. It's sort of like Ali-Spinks II. That was the last big fight that Ali could win because his prime had long past. Critics say that he put forth a half-assed effort in the first fight to do just enough to lose so that he could get a rematch. However, I remember that the 15th round in the first fight was really good where they both gave it there all.

I believe that we have to view Delahoya-Pacquiao for what it is, Oscar's final fight with almost a certain win against a big name smaller opponent. This is more of an event than a competitive fight.

Jack
Jack 1000
Sorry for the multiple posts,

The board chocked up for a few seconds.

Jack
salvador
What a total disappointment.

ROLL DEEP
If DLH wants to fight Pac in his last fight......and Pac is willing to sign and move up in weight and fight the 'naturally' bigger man, then so be it....who cares?

I'd like to see DLH fight someone else other then Pac, but it's not the worse thing that could happen.

It's his last fight, then he's OUT. Whether you like him or loathe him (I personally like DLH) he's brought boxing to the forefront and entertained us with some brilliant fights.

If Pac signs and agrees to moving up and DLH signs and agrees to be put in a no win situation, then so be it....lets see a decent scrap!!!!!

Whether you think the fight is right or wrong, it is an interesting match up.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Aug 28 2008, 02:41 PM) [snapback]402312[/snapback]
If DLH wants to fight Pac in his last fight......and Pac is willing to sign and move up in weight and fight the 'naturally' bigger man, then so be it....who cares?
I'd like to see DLH fight someone else other then Pac, but it's not the worse thing that could happen.
It's his last fight, then he's OUT. Whether you like him or loathe him (I personally like DLH) he's brought boxing to the forefront and entertained us with some brilliant fights.
If Pac signs and agrees to moving up and DLH signs and agrees to be put in a no win situation, then so be it....lets see a decent scrap!!!!!

I agree Roll,

While I believe the fight is still a mismatch because of the weight difference, Oscar could have done 100% worse than this for a final fight. It's still Manny Pacquaio, who is a great champion. Not like they picked some guy just to be a Mayweather infomercial (i.e Forbes.) I am not found of the fight. But at least we are going to see a potential slug-fest rather than another waltz that would have been a Mayweather rematch.

Jack
GMAN73
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Aug 28 2008, 02:41 PM) [snapback]402312[/snapback]

Great post. I think it will be one hell of a fight. Just like I think Pavlik-Hopkins is going to be interesting as well.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(GMAN73 @ Aug 28 2008, 01:15 PM) [snapback]402317[/snapback]
Great post. I think it will be one hell of a fight. Just like I think Pavlik-Hopkins is going to be interesting as well.

I think the build up to the fight is going to be great... but during the actual fight I bet one of 2 things happen... Manny comes in overweight and undertrained (since he has to actually try to keep weight on this time rather than drain it all off) and loses the fight pretty easily. Or Oscar comes in severely dehydrated and looks even worse then he did against Steve Forbes
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Aug 28 2008, 04:32 PM) [snapback]402318[/snapback]
I think the build up to the fight is going to be great... but during the actual fight I bet one of 2 things happen... Manny comes in overweight and undertrained (since he has to actually try to keep weight on this time rather than drain it all off) and loses the fight pretty easily. Or Oscar comes in severely dehydrated and looks even worse then he did against Steve Forbes

That's an interesting question concerning the weight. If Pacquiao puts on muscle then is he planning to stay and continue his career in the 140-154 region? Because as we all know, shedding muscle is a pain in the ass for boxers. So what's the plan for Pacquiao against DLH? Maybe he'll negociate it in the contract that he can come in weighing what he wants as long as it's under 154. If that is the case maybe he vomes in weighting 140 pounds.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(GMAN73 @ Aug 27 2008, 09:01 PM) [snapback]402248[/snapback]
In 25 years Oscar DeLaHoya will be mentioned in the same breath as Sugar Ray Leonard

Not...
D-MARV
25 years Oscar WILL be named among the all time greats!!!!! Thats just how it is!
The CEO
In 25 years, I will be telling my grandchildren what a fake ass, big fight losing bitch Oscar was......
D-MARV
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Aug 28 2008, 06:23 PM) [snapback]402329[/snapback]
In 25 years, I will be telling my grandchildren what a fake ass, big fight losing bitch Oscar was......

That may be true but too many casual fans think Oscar is some type of all time great.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 28 2008, 07:19 PM) [snapback]402338[/snapback]
That may be true but too many casual fans think Oscar is some type of all time great.

So you consider yourself a casual fan?

I'm kdding. Seriously props to DLH for taking on the best. But remember he didn't beat the best.

Leonard beat Hearns, Duran, Benitez, Hagler. Those are the best names on his resume. Now compare that to DLH's wins.

Whitaker, Quartey, Vargas, and let's be generous and add Trinidad as a win. Does that earn him a spot alongside Leonard? Not even close.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 28 2008, 07:29 PM) [snapback]402340[/snapback]
Whitaker, Quartey, Vargas, and let's be generous and add Trinidad as a win. Does that earn him a spot alongside Leonard? Not even close.

Especially considering DLH's wins against Quartey and Whitaker were.......tenuous.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 28 2008, 07:29 PM) [snapback]402340[/snapback]
So you consider yourself a casual fan?

I'm kdding. Seriously props to DLH for taking on the best. But remember he didn't beat the best.

Leonard beat Hearns, Duran, Benitez, Hagler. Those are the best names on his resume. Now compare that to DLH's wins.

Im a hardcore fan!!!! I know the Oscar isn't an all time great. Im saying that many casual fans "think" Oscar was one of the all time greats.

But Oscar is/was one helluva fighter. I give him props!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 28 2008, 08:32 PM) [snapback]402356[/snapback]
Im a hardcore fan!!!! I know the Oscar isn't an all time great. Im saying that many casual fans "think" Oscar was one of the all time greats.

But Oscar is/was one helluva fighter. I give him props!

Yeah casual fans still think he's in his prime. De La Hoya is good. But he always seemd to squeak by in his important fights or came short. That's why I don't think he'll really ever be a GOAT. One of the best in his era but there a are a lot of fighters ahead of him.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 28 2008, 08:44 PM) [snapback]402359[/snapback]
Yeah casual fans still think he's in his prime.

LOL... funny but true!
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Aug 28 2008, 05:23 PM) [snapback]402329[/snapback]

+1

Trinidad, Whitaker, Hopkins, hell even Roy Jones all have 10x the cojones of the Golden Girl. Oscar and ATG? Not even close. The best fighter he ever clearly beat, who was in his prime, was Fernando Vargas.

'nuff said...
JaRaNDa
I don't care what the fuck De La Hoya did in the past he is going out of the sport as a fucking money hungry prostitute bitch!!! He can fool the casual noob'd out fans but anyone who knows a thing about boxing should know this is a fucking joke of a fight!! FIGHTING PACMAN????
How about...
DLH-Margarito
DLH-Trinidad II
DLH-Cotto
DLH-Williams
DLH-Clottey
DLH-Mosley?
DLH-Taylor?
DLH-Wright?
NEVER though I'd say it but..FUCK even DLH-Mayweather II!

Who cares about DLH the 'boxer' lets keep in mind this is DLH the 'promoter' that made this choice! the same guy that will be taken over the boxing world soon will be makin these type of fights??????
FUCK DLH!!!
D-MARV
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Aug 29 2008, 04:23 AM) [snapback]402418[/snapback]
I don't care what the fuck De La Hoya did in the past he is going out of the sport as a fucking money hungry prostitute bitch!!! He can fool the casual noob'd out fans but anyone who knows a thing about boxing should know this is a fucking joke of a fight!! FIGHTING PACMAN????
How about...
DLH-Margarito
DLH-Trinidad II
DLH-Cotto
DLH-Williams
DLH-Clottey
DLH-Mosley?
DLH-Taylor?
DLH-Wright?
NEVER though I'd say it but..FUCK even DLH-Mayweather II!

Who cares about DLH the 'boxer' lets keep in mind this is DLH the 'promoter' that made this choice! the same guy that will be taken over the boxing world soon will be makin these type of fights??????
FUCK DLH!!!

You're mad because Manny has to move up 2 weight classes to fight Oscar, yet, You wouldn't mind seeing Oscar move up 2 or even 3 weight classes to fight Winky or Taylor?

We all know that Oscar should win... But Is this fight really that bad. It's gonna generate big bucks attract a lot of international attention and probably transfer lot of casual fans into hardcore fans. Come on now, this fight isn that bad... is it?
JaRaNDa
damarvelous1 Today, 10:33 AM - You're mad because Manny has to move up 2 weight classes to fight Oscar, yet, You wouldn't mind seeing Oscar move up 2 or even 3 weight classes to fight Winky or Taylor?

I know what your trying to say but the difference is DLH, Winky & Taylor have all fought in the same division before! besides it's not like i want those fight I just feel it would be alot better than a fight with pac, that's all!
Yes he has to move 2 weight classes and that's alot, especially when you take into account how naturally small(er) pacman is and lets not forget he just moved upto 135 in just his last fight! what about fighting the best guys in his own division which is argubly the deepest divion in the sport to prove he is the best??
What was wrong with giving Marquez a rematch?? there was no reason not to! 1st two fights were controversial and were both considered by many FOTY, they would have earned evan more money the last 2, Pac being p4p#1-2 knew he was beat but because there is no rematch that title still sticks with him! it's not like the fans would have been against the fight..most were demanding it!!
Instead he will be fighting Oscar for the $$$$. Don't get me wrong it's not like de la hoya is'nt dangerous for pacman because he is a big threat! but something tells me DLH won't be looking to KO (which imho he can easily get!) pacman and will go the distance!
WolfishPromistah
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Aug 28 2008, 07:19 PM) [snapback]402338[/snapback]

That's what I hate, though, see? It's that casual fans are goin' -- yet again -- like damned sheep to slaughter. Manny f__ Paquioa? There's no way to justify that shyt, not when 147 is stacked with heavier artillery to go out with a potential win against, ESPECIALLY Margarito since Dela is talking about the Mexican celebration. There's no excuse for what people're getting. Seriously, I won't be watching this one.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Fitz @ Aug 29 2008, 03:01 AM) [snapback]402416[/snapback]
Stupid. Roy Jones having more balls than Oscar? Hahaha. That's pretty funny. Trinidad? Not saying Trinidad doesn't have them, but he is the one that quits from boxing when ever he loses.

Did I stutter? Yes, even Reluctant Roy has more stones than the Golden Girl. @ the very least, Roy doesn't go looking for fights with guys 2-3 divisions under him and had balls enough to go up to *HW* and win a title without laying down on the first cleanly landed body shot. Roy also had balls enough to *move up* and fight an undefeated James Toney who was P4P #1 AND in his prime @ the time. Has the Golden Girl ever moved up in weight to fight a P4P fighter in his prime? Chavez, Whitaker, and Hopkins were ALL ole' men - and the Golden Girl arguably lost to two of those three. And Yes, Oscar moved up to fight Vargas - but Vargas had already been brutally KO'ed by....

IIRC, didn't the Golden Girl spend the last three rounds running from Trinidad? Yeah, Trinidad has more stones than the Golden Girl. As I recall, it took Hopkins 11 rounds to beat the fight out of Trinidad. The Golden Girl, OTOH, laid down in front of Hopkins with the first cleanly landed body shot. Oh yeah, didn't Trinidad fight Winky Wright? Why then is the Golden Girl fighting a FEATHERWEIGHT? I know Wright is available, why hasn't the Golden Girl said his name?

Trinidad > The Golden Girl

Jones > The Golden Girl
Chi-Town
I've been converted!!! LOL

Let me start off by saying that I, like MANY others, believe this fight is a farce and a total mismatch. I will also go on record as saying that up until the events of the last few months, I was a very big DeLaHoya fan and supporter. The way he has blatently ducked Margarito to fight the smallest guy he's fought in over 10 years has completely turned me off to him. What I find even more dispicable is the way he has treated Margarito. I'm not Mexican, but if I were I think I would be very offended by the fact that in the biggest Mexico vs. Puerto Rico fight of the 2000s, this jag off comes out and publicly states he's pulling for Cotto...are you fuckin serious?! That's like me saying I hope the Packers beat the Bears in the NFC Championship or some crazy shit like that.

In any event, I read something very interesting yesterday, I peruse so many boxing sites every day that I'm not exactly sure where I read it, maybe Doug Fisher. Anyway, Freddy Roach is quoted as saying that at the beginning of camp for the Mayweather fight, Ivan calderon was brought in as the chief sparring partner and was basically getting in Oscar's ass! Maybe Pac has some kind of chance in this thing if that's true.
hardhead
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 29 2008, 12:44 AM) [snapback]402359[/snapback]
Yeah casual fans still think he's in his prime. De La Hoya is good. But he always seemd to squeak by in his important fights or came short. That's why I don't think he'll really ever be a GOAT. One of the best in his era but there a are a lot of fighters ahead of him.

Agreed, he's not an ATG(because while he has taken on everybody he has come up short in almost every big fight of the last several years) but he's up there as one of the greats of his era.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(hardhead @ Aug 29 2008, 06:43 PM) [snapback]402474[/snapback]
Agreed, he's not an ATG(because while he has taken on everybody he has come up short in almost every big fight of the last several years) but he's up there as one of the greats of his era.

That is how it is.
WolfishPromistah
Teddy Atlas said all that tonight, Mean Mr Mustard, after some dude named Korzin beat some guy named Borngod. I was happy Teddy put it out there straight for everyone because he made it clear that his opinion is Oscar's career greatness "really" only comes from his PPV numbers, for he has truly LOST every significantly BIG fight he's been in, or just made it by half a small hair's worth of luck, yet people STILL continually pay to see him.

Of course, since viewers keep shelling out for that fascicle fake me out meal that Oscar just KEEPS feeding us, Teddy added, after his criticism of Delahoya for this repetitive bull, that he gives his pick for Manny to win, which I personally think is just for sake of Teddy's hope because of how Oscar's revealed game keeps working.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Aug 29 2008, 11:37 PM) [snapback]402498[/snapback]
Teddy Atlas said all that tonight, Mean Mr Mustard, after some dude named Korzin beat some guy named Borngod. I was happy Teddy put it out there straight for everyone because he made it clear that his opinion is Oscar's career greatness "really" only comes from his PPV numbers, for he has truly LOST every significantly BIG fight he's been in, or just made it by half a small hair's worth of luck, yet people STILL continually pay to see him.

Of course, since viewers keep shelling out for that fascicle fake me out meal that Oscar just KEEPS feeding us, Teddy added, after his criticism of Delahoya for this repetitive bull, that he gives his pick for Manny to win, which I personally think is just for sake of Teddy's hope because of how Oscar's revealed game keeps working.

Did he really say that? If so good for him. DLH has successfully duped some people into believing that he's somehow ATG, even some good boxing wirters. For example, now that his career is nearing the end many scribes are turning on the machine and they slip into their articles that anyone who disagrees that DLH is ATG is a HATER. Well it doesn't surprise me that many of them say that. DLH is the most famous boxer who is still alive and also one of the most famous aof all time. So if these boxing writers badmouth him chances are DLH won't speak to them next time they need a quote from him.

Goldie will get into the tha hall of fame, with today's standards he deserves to. And some people will keep calling him an all time great. I really don't care but it is interesting how far clever marketing can take some people.
BigG
Thinking about the fight more who knows how Oscar will deal with Pacs speed..remember Pacquiao is at least as big Forbes. In his last fight, he weighed about 148 pounds..1 pound above the Welterweight limit.
salvador
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Aug 30 2008, 01:48 AM) [snapback]402504[/snapback]
Thinking about the fight more who knows how Oscar will deal with Pacs speed..remember Pacquiao is at least as big Forbes. In his last fight, he weighed about 148 pounds..1 pound above the Welterweight limit.

Unless he learns to use his speed to box like Floyd in the next few months, potshotting from the outside, Pacquiao has no chance. If he comes straight in against Oscar, Oscar will land his left hook to the body until Manny goes down.

Manny's style is tailor made for Oscar - a straight forward (however fast) fighter who is too small to take Oscar's shots and too small to hurt Oscar. I'm not even sure that Manny can take Oscar's jab.

This fight is an embarassment to boxing.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(salvador @ Aug 30 2008, 11:44 AM) [snapback]402533[/snapback]
Unless he learns to use his speed to box like Floyd in the next few months, potshotting from the outside, Pacquiao has no chance. If he comes straight in against Oscar, Oscar will land his left hook to the body until Manny goes down.

Manny's style is tailor made for Oscar - a straight forward (however fast) fighter who is too small to take Oscar's shots and too small to hurt Oscar. I'm not even sure that Manny can take Oscar's jab.

This fight is an embarassment to boxing.

I agree that it's an embarassment, how big is the question. But regarding Pacquiao's style, he has become harder to hit than before. He uses his legs very well to get in and out and while he is not Mayweather type slick, he is pretty slippery now. The only problem is the size. DLH as we all know is bigger and his reach will play a big factor in how Pacquiao is able to defend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.