Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul Williams vs. Andy Kolle next?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
Hahaha..wtf..what a mismatch even if its Paul's first fight at Middleweight. Andy Kolle is the guy that got HIS ASS WHOOPED by Andre Ward about 2 years ago..
The Original MrFactor
I think its a good matchup for Williams for a keep busy fight. Its also a look at what he may look like at 160. For as much as Pavlik chases the Calzaghe match, Paul Williams is chasing a Pavlik match.

Paul may have more trouble with this matchup than you may think. 1 Andy Kolle is a southpaw. Paul has trouble with Southpaws. 2 Andy Kolle is much bigger guy than Paul is used to facing. Paul already has a knock on him about his power and the fact that he takes too many punches. I think its an interesting match that I'll definately be tuning in for. Williams is an exciting fighter.
BigG
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Sep 3 2008, 08:24 AM) [snapback]402939[/snapback]
I think its a good matchup for Williams for a keep busy fight. Its also a look at what he may look like at 160. For as much as Pavlik chases the Calzaghe match, Paul Williams is chasing a Pavlik match.

Paul may have more trouble with this matchup than you may think. 1 Andy Kolle is a southpaw. Paul has trouble with Southpaws. 2 Andy Kolle is much bigger guy than Paul is used to facing. Paul already has a knock on him about his power and the fact that he takes too many punches. I think its an interesting match that I'll definately be tuning in for. Williams is an exciting fighter.

Nah man if Williams losses, it would be terrible for him. Kolle is nothing special and like I said, he made Andre Ward look like a prime Roy Jones Jr. Williams is going to drill this guy....
caneman
I think it's interesting that he is moving up & good to see he is staying busy! I really wanted to see the rematch with Margarito since the DLH fight couldn't be made but oh well! Williams sure has the frame to move up!
dj necrogenic
I will hopefully be going to this fight. Chris Arreola is on the card as well.Im shocked though that Williams is moving up so much in weight.. Why not try 154 first?
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 3 2008, 10:33 AM) [snapback]402957[/snapback]
Any reason as to why he is moving to 160? I swear I never heard of any of this, I assumed he was still fighting and will continue to fight at 147. I only thought he was moving to 160 if the Pavlik fight went ahead.

He's moving up to make a run at Pavlik's titles. However, he's repeatedly said that he can "Easily" move back down to 147. Maybe at 26 or 27 thats an easy thing to do. I'm sure we'll find out. After his 30th birthday that will become increasingly more difficult.
Big Slim Sweet
Supposedly this is just a stay busy fight for him and he's got a 147 defense on for November against Collazo. I'm sure he also wants to see how he looks at the higher weight though as he'll no doubt be moving up for good in the not too distant future.

This sort of thing isn't unprecedented, although it's getting more rare in boxing these days. Both James Toney when he was middleweight champ and Jose Luis Castillo when he was lightweight champ would take stay busy fights at higher weights. Of course, considering the weight issues those two had later in their carrers I guess you can read into that how you like.
BoxingStill#1
[quote name='Big Slim' date='Sep 3 2008, 02:06 PM' post='402979']
Supposedly this is just a stay busy fight for him and he's got a 147 defense on for November against Collazo.

When is this fight suppose to take place? Isnt Nov like only too months away?........Dose'nt sound realistic to me
King Eugene
Yea he has a title defense in Nov.
streetlion1
I hope im not the only one who thinks this is a bad idea. PW wont last long as a middleweight unless he seriously shores up his defensive skills! I mean he got rocked as a welter...he may win this fight but we'll see what happens if he does get a fight with a guy like Pavlik..say goodnight PW.
D-MARV
I dont give a fu*K. PWILL Vs Kelly Pavlik would be "Fight of the Year". I promise you that!
D-MARV
By the way, what ever happen to PWill- Winky! I know they were in discussion. Did Winky ask for 25 million?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Big G, don't call it a mismatch just quite yet, you don't know Andy Kolle that well. Andy has imporved a ton in the last two years, and beat Vanda who just gave Chavez Jr. hell. Williams is moving up TWO whole weight classes to fight a Natural middleweight. Williams can't take the pressure either, as he got pushed around in rounds 5-12 against Margarito and seemed stunned a few times in the first fight against Quintana. If Kolle can put that pressure on and land some of those big southpaw hooks and straight lefts it could be something. I expect the size to be a pretty big deal. I'm just stunned that Williams would take a fight two weight classes above his normal weight class, and against a southpaw. Looking forward to this fight.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 4 2008, 01:51 AM) [snapback]403033[/snapback]
By the way, what ever happen to PWill- Winky! I know they were in discussion. Did Winky ask for 25 million?

I think it was $50 million & PW had to sign a lifetime record deal exclusive to Winky's record label.
Fitz
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 4 2008, 11:49 AM) [snapback]403031[/snapback]
I dont give a fu*K. PWILL Vs Kelly Pavlik would be "Fight of the Year". I promise you that!

Maybe not this year. This year has had some damn good fights.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 4 2008, 12:24 AM) [snapback]403054[/snapback]
Maybe not this year. This year has had some damn good fights.

True that... BUt it would be a helluva fight for like 5 or 6 rounds until Pavlik KOs him!!!!! probably up there with Hagler Hearns!
streetlion1
Paul Williams and Kelly Pavlik would not be fight of the year! Kelly dominates Williams no question. I cant really see PW being a top middlewieght with his chin and defense being so suspect.
Fitz
I would love to see Williams-Pavlik. Williams is shown very little respect by fans in this match up. Pavlik has way too much respect, period.
Big Slim Sweet
I think a Pavlik-Williams fight would be terrific. My feeling is that Paul just might make a better middleweight than he does a welterweight. Adding some meat to that frame could help him absord shots.

But wait, why is it somehow a given with some people that P-Will's chin is suspect?
EpTXCHAMP
i dont see p-will going back to welter unless its against margs or someone worth it. as much as they dont dont like to admit it, it has to kill paul to make 147.
I give goosen props they jus skipped him past 154 to 160 and against a legit guy not a punching bag. that being said I like paul by UD and hopefully moving onto pavlik or margs
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 3 2008, 06:23 PM) [snapback]402993[/snapback]
Sounds like a stupid idea to me. I don't see the point to go there and fight a bum when you plan to come back down to defend you're title anyways. Don't understand temporary moves, unless you are fighting someone worth my money. Why not just move up to 154 then? I really like Williams, so I hope it works out for him.

maybe he's getting advice from gleon.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Sep 4 2008, 12:36 PM) [snapback]403140[/snapback]
maybe he's getting advice from gleon.

thumbsup_anim.gif
JonnyBlaze
I really like Williams and I really like Pavlik but I would have to say Pavlik KO's him within 8..I don't know why anyone would say Williams chin is suspect but everyones chin has to be suspect against Pavlik..Good match-up and it'd be a great fight but I gotta give it to Pavlik..I don't see anyone beating Pavlik for a long time..He is more versatile than he is given credit..Williams may throw a lot of punches but if he fights Pavlik,he better stick to more boxing and less punches..Williams will be a lot different at middle since his height won't be as much of a factor,especially against Pavlik..
Fitz
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Sep 5 2008, 03:08 AM) [snapback]403134[/snapback]
I think a Pavlik-Williams fight would be terrific. My feeling is that Paul just might make a better middleweight than he does a welterweight. Adding some meat to that frame could help him absord shots.

But wait, why is it somehow a given with some people that P-Will's chin is suspect?

Pretty much my thoughts, especially on the chin part. Man, he took Margarito's shots for 12 rounds easy, and never once looked hurt. His chin should not be questioned. But people really aren't giving Williams a chance at all and I have no idea why. I don't think it's a certainty that Williams would beat Pavlik, but I think it's not too far off a pick 'em. Just mainly on whether how Williams handles the move up to 160, but he is shown very, very little respect.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Sep 4 2008, 01:08 PM) [snapback]403134[/snapback]

Great Points!!!!

I have never seen PWill hurt... where does the notion that he has a suspect chin come from?
salvador
I hate pointing out the obvious, but the reason Paul is so dominant at ww is that he has all the physical advantages. He loses most of those advantages when he goes up to mw to fight Pavlik. Generally speaking, Williams has a 10 inch reach advantage and a 6 inch height advantage over mose wws. Against Pavlik, who's almost 6'3" himself, Williams only advantages would be a higher workrate and a 7 inch reach advantage. Pavlik's advantages, on the other hand, are that his punches are harder, straighter, and more accurate and he has more tenacity.

The kind of guy at mw who beats a straightforward fighter like Pavlik is a speedster with great boxing skills, and that ain't Williams.

Pavlik by ko.

BoxingStill#1
QUOTE(salvador @ Sep 5 2008, 10:01 AM) [snapback]403241[/snapback]
I hate pointing out the obvious, but the reason Paul is so dominant at ww is that he has all the physical advantages. He loses most of those advantages when he goes up to mw to fight Pavlik. Generally speaking, Williams has a 10 inch reach advantage and a 6 inch height advantage over mose wws. Against Pavlik, who's almost 6'3" himself, Williams only advantages would be a higher workrate and a 7 inch reach advantage. Pavlik's advantages, on the other hand, are that his punches are harder, straighter, and more accurate and he has more tenacity.

The kind of guy at mw who beats a straightforward fighter like Pavlik is a speedster with great boxing skills, and that ain't Williams.

Pavlik by ko.

Agreed,......except the accuracy part.....PW has proven to have metionable accuracy....
streetlion1
Now that I think about it...alL this Pavlik-PW talk is way too premature! PAVLIK WILL LOSE TO B-HOP....the question is will PW still want to fight Kelly after that?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Sep 5 2008, 05:23 PM) [snapback]403291[/snapback]
Now that I think about it...alL this Pavlik-PW talk is way too premature! PAVLIK WILL LOSE TO B-HOP....the question is will PW still want to fight Kelly after that?

I think Pavlik will beat Hopkins..I don't know why everyone says Pavlik is a straight forward fighter because he is versatile..He can box when he wants and is a hell of a fighter when he fights..Pavliks jab is amazing..He has all the punches in the book,some are just more effective than others..
streetlion1
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 5 2008, 05:25 PM) [snapback]403296[/snapback]
I think Pavlik will beat Hopkins..I don't know why everyone says Pavlik is a straight forward fighter because he is versatile..He can box when he wants and is a hell of a fighter when he fights..Pavliks jab is amazing..He has all the punches in the book,some are just more effective than others..

I know Pavlik is good but that doesnt change the fact that he is a 1-2 fighter who cant move very well and is tailor made for B-Hops style..
BigG
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 5 2008, 11:25 PM) [snapback]403296[/snapback]

Agreed. Pavlik has a nice jab. But the thing is, he'll have no choice but to be one dimensional against BHOP, because he certainly can't outbox him.
Fitz
Yeah, well Pavlik might not be one dimensional, I just don't think all of these 'so called' dimensions are that great.
King Eugene
QUOTE(EpTXCHAMP @ Sep 4 2008, 03:23 PM) [snapback]403138[/snapback]
i dont see p-will going back to welter unless its against margs or someone worth it. as much as they dont dont like to admit it, it has to kill paul to make 147.

His last two fights he weighed in at 145 and 143. It aint killing him that bad. He said he walks around at 150 something.
BoxingStill#1
I just dont like him in the WW division............ But I think we are all going to see an 'average' fighter from PW @ higher wieghts.....
dbdbdb
This is what happens when mandatory fights don't happen. Many in the WW division, if they have a choice, will not fight Margarito or Williams.

So, what's a guy to do to stay active?

Move up in weight where he can get a fight.

Both Williams and Margarito is going to have the same problem, where there just aren't many, if any takers. I think a better move would have been the 154lb division. But hey, if Williams thinks he can carry the weight and still be effective, then he may be able to make some noise. He definately has the frame to put on some weight and if he can better his technique and power along with the added weight .......... Watch Out!!!!!!
STEVENSKI
I can't believe all the disrespect that Pavlik gets round here. He has beaten every man he faced & smacked the fuck out of the guy who holds two wins over Hopkins. Pavlik is not all that & one dimensional getting no respect yet PW is the saviour of boxing? I have never been very impressed with PW & have always thought of him as a poor mans Hearns without the pop. Williams does not have the pop to keep a fighter like Pavlik off him & whilst he walked through Margaritos punches Marg is not a "big" puncher he gets his men on attrition & if he faces a legit puncher the calibre of Pavlik at 160 he will catch a hurtin like he never felt before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.