Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NFL, NRL (Rugby) and AFL (Aussie Rules Football) fans
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Fitz
I don't follow NFL or NRL, but I'm aware they have some similar type of garbage fixture that AFL have.

First off, I love AFL and follow it, but there is one thing I despise about the game and I know your codes have the same garbage.

AFL have 16 teams and 22 rounds of football. Which means that teams play some teams during the season twice and other teams once. I know NRL have something similar. 16 teams and like 24 or 26 rounds and NRL, don't you guys have like 30 something teams, yet only have 18 rounds? lol.

Seriously, how the fuck is this a level playing field? I just don't see the logic in any of this. With NRL and AFL, there are teams that may miss out on playing in finals because they may play top teams twice and shit teams once. You play one team away, but never get to play them at home.
I imagine it's the same thing with NFL. I just don't understand how you can not play more than half the teams but still be considered the best.

There is always a select few like myself who say we need a 30 round season, but these so called experts always love to come up with the same tired old excuse that it's too demanding on players.
Hello? Simple solution, you rotate your list better and manage your team better. You don't play your players every single week, even if they aren't injured you rest them anyways. It will also show who the real good coaches are, know how to rotate your list and it will show depth. Even if you expand your playing list to have more rotations. I just don't understand why they think you need to play your best list every single week.
At the end of the day, it's probably why these football codes are not recognised internationally and will continue to only have respect in there own country. Soccer on the other hand have a level playing field. They have 20 teams and play 38 games a season (top sides and players play even more if they play in other cups and leagues in the season like Champions League and other Cups that each country have, also World Cup and Euro qualifiers go on during the season). They do not play there top players all the time, they rest players against weaker sides at times and it really shows who the good coaches are. Much more difficult for a coach that these other codes.
I love AFL, but I just don't understand how they can continue to have a fixture like this.

What about you guys? Stevenski thoughts on this regarding your code? Does this piss you off as much as it pisses me off?
STEVENSKI
What pisses me off more than anything is inconsistance in refereeing. Certain teams (Melbourne Storm are a prime example) are repeatedly allowed to be offside & wrestle in tackles.

The consistance & over reliance on video referees is ruining the game. A classic example was on Monday night a Gold Coast player fell into a tackle & got a forearm to the chin (not illegal as he fell into the tackle rather than the arm being raised to head height). After this minor incident another Gold Coast player grabbed the Manly player & started to punch him in the head & start a all in brawl. The end result is the Gold Coast were given the penalty for a "high tackle" & the player who escalated the incident & started the fight was rewarded with another set 10 out from the Manly try line.

GET RID OF THE VIDEO REFEREE ALL TOGETHER! Have two referees a offensive line referee to enforce the play the ball & ruck area a defence treferee to ensure players are onside.
Fitz
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Sep 5 2008, 09:10 AM) [snapback]403166[/snapback]
What pisses me off more than anything is inconsistance in refereeing. Certain teams (Melbourne Storm are a prime example) are repeatedly allowed to be offside & wrestle in tackles.

The consistance & over reliance on video referees is ruining the game. A classic example was on Monday night a Gold Coast player fell into a tackle & got a forearm to the chin (not illegal as he fell into the tackle rather than the arm being raised to head height). After this minor incident another Gold Coast player grabbed the Manly player & started to punch him in the head & start a all in brawl. The end result is the Gold Coast were given the penalty for a "high tackle" & the player who escalated the incident & started the fight was rewarded with another set 10 out from the Manly try line.

GET RID OF THE VIDEO REFEREE ALL TOGETHER! Have two referees a offensive line referee to enforce the play the ball & ruck area a defence treferee to ensure players are onside.

There will always be bad refereeing. See it in AFL all the time, they lack consistency every week, there seems to be confusion at times on how to interpret rules. But bad refereeing comes with all sports.
I really, really hate the fact that in this day and age having an unfair competition is possible. I love our sport, but if I were to go and try explain to a foreigner that some teams play teams twice and other teams once, I'm sure it would be difficult for them to take it seriously.
STEVENSKI
I agree. Some teams have a easy run to the finals compared to others. when you miss out on a top 8 spot because you played the top teams twice & the team that finished in front of you on point difference has not played the top teams twice it is very unfair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.