Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawson-Tarver
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mean Mister Mustard
I was reading the quotes from their conference and once again Tarver seems to have forgotten to take his meds. Either that or he's back on the pipe.

“Dawson had to step up and fight for life or death against Glen Johnson. I ran over Glen Johnson. I’m just going to let my record speak for itself.”
[/i]

I am one of those people who gives Dawson more credit for beating Johnson than others. I think he clearly won the fight, though it was close. What makes this quote funny is that Tarver never ran past Johnson. He lost the 1st fight and was holding on for dear life in the 12th round of their rematch. Again, Tarver likes to re-write history.

“It’s a shame that I have to be in this to prove anything. My game is so subtle that the critics have a hard time understanding it. The sophistication of my game is off the charts.”

Yes his game is so subtle. So subtle in fact that he actually won the 1st Jones fight, the first Johnson fight and the Hopkins bout. It's just that we were too stupid to see it. In fact he had to take his talent down a notch in the rematches against Jones and Johnson in order for us mortals to see it.

“There is one man that I fought and lost to and that was Bernard Hopkins. Everyone knows that it was an off-night for me.”

I thought it was because he was poisoned.

“I’m the Marvin Hagler of this era. I don’t get any respect. “

Marvin Hagler went years without losing and he defended his title 12 times. Tarver loses every once in while and is the opposite of Hagler, inconsistent.

He makes me laugh man. He's a good fighter but he truly believes he's a legend. Anyway this should be a great fight between to world class boxers.
BigG
People have criticized Dawson for his performance vs. Johnson but people forget Johnson beat Jones and Tarver and is basically the Margarito of the 175 pound division - you're not going to hurt him and you're going to get pressured for 12 rounds. Tarver is an easier fight for Dawson - style wise. Tarver is a counter puncher..can he outbox someone quicker and taller? Dawson is obviously not a Hopkins in there in terms of pure skill, but he is skilled himself and really quick with decent pop. We'll see. I'm really hyped up for this fight.
streetlion1
Yeah one of Tarvers best weapons has always been his mouth...and this is where it gets shut because he's going lazy2.gif at the hands of Chad Dawson.
Fitz
Tarver is absolutely horrible and excruciating to listen to.

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 4 2008, 11:37 AM) [snapback]403114[/snapback]
People have criticized Dawson for his performance vs. Johnson but people forget Johnson beat Jones and Tarver and is basically the Margarito of the 175 pound division - you're not going to hurt him and you're going to get pressured for 12 rounds. Tarver is an easier fight for Dawson - style wise. Tarver is a counter puncher..can he outbox someone quicker and taller? Dawson is obviously not a Hopkins in there in terms of pure skill, but he is skilled himself and really quick with decent pop. We'll see. I'm really hyped up for this fight.

I am very hyped up for this one as well. This and Campbell-Guzman.
D-MARV
LOL... Kinda like Tarver, except when he KO'd roy. I expect Tarver to win a close decision!
dj necrogenic
Tarver explaining his KO loss to Chad Dawson: I'm a legend of this sport, Im Ali, Robinson, and Hagler put together... Everyone knows I didnt get knocked out, Chad wasnt even hitting me, I just got really tired of watching him miss all the time, so I layed down and took a nap. I'm the real champ.. I'm the Peoples Champ. Everyone knows I'm the greatest fighter that ever lived, I beat Rocky Balboa for gods sake
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(dj necrogenic @ Sep 4 2008, 12:27 PM) [snapback]403125[/snapback]
Tarver explaining his KO loss to Chad Dawson: I'm a legend of this sport, Im Ali, Robinson, and Hagler put together... Everyone knows I didnt get knocked out, Chad wasnt even hitting me, I just got really tired of watching him miss all the time, so I layed down and took a nap. I'm the real champ.. I'm the Peoples Champ. Everyone knows I'm the greatest fighter that ever lived, I beat Rocky Balboa for gods sake

Haha. Now that you mention it, I am surprised he didn't mention Rocky.
Big Slim Sweet
Fuck it I like Tarver. If we can have posters proclaiming their man love for John Ruiz, then we should have posters praising Tarver as nothing less than a God.

You know what? He's arrogant yeah, but he's a funny dude. And if you read what he says without a chip on your shoulder you realize he usually makes a lot of sense.

His multiple excuses for the Hopkins loss were lame, but it's not like he's the first fighter to do that. These guys have ego's, it's hard for them to accept being beaten by a better man sometimes.

I did find the 'I ran right over Johnson' line a bit peculiar, though a lot of fans did feel AT deserved both decisions, however narrowly (notunlike Dawson).

Anyway, I too am very pumped for this fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Sep 4 2008, 01:04 PM) [snapback]403133[/snapback]
Fuck it I like Tarver. If we can have posters proclaiming their man love for John Ruiz, then we should have posters praising Tarver as nothing less than a God.

You know what? He's arrogant yeah, but he's a funny dude. And if you read what he says without a chip on your shoulder you realize he usually makes a lot of sense.

His multiple excuses for the Hopkins loss were lame, but it's not like he's the first fighter to do that. These guys have ego's, it's hard for them to accept being beaten by a better man sometimes.

I did find the 'I ran right over Johnson' line a bit peculiar, though a lot of fans did feel AT deserved both decisions, however narrowly (notunlike Dawson).

Anyway, I too am very pumped for this fight.

The thing about Tarver is sometimes he makes these outlandish comments but he does it with a face that tells you he's kidding. Other times however he does it in and it seems like he's being serious.

I liked how he looked against Woods, he was sharp and calculating and he showed people that he still has something in the tank.
BoxingStill#1
Tarver is intelligent when it comes to his speech....cant seem to execute in the ring though...Kinda one dementional...

He'd make a hell of commentator......
JonnyBlaze
Ya'll know I'm a big Tarver fan..I like his style a lot..He has had some off days in the last year but he is going to get a KO or UD in the Dawson fight..He is going to bring his A game for this fight I think..Glen Johnson beat Dawson in my opinion..

Johnson is the 175 lb. Margarito for sure,I've always thought that..Johnson has more skill then Margarito though..Tarver did really put it to Johnson in the second fight even though he did fade some at the end but he threw A LOT of punches..Johnson is robbed of more fights than anyone and I don't understand it..

Tarver is a legend in my opinion,he has never lost to the same fighter more than once and always wins the rematch/rematches..He is no Ali or Ray Robinson by far but you all should know that he gets crazy excited on the mic and says things that aren't true..He also is very good at hyping fights up soo gotta give him credit for that..I want a B-Hop/Tarver rematch to show the fight was a fluke on Tarvers part(whether he wins or loses,he will look better)..
FenderDG3
I'm not a big fan of Tarver, but I like the Tarver vs. Dawson match-up. I've only seen Dawson fight two or three times, but from what I have seen impressed me. Even the fight against Johnson impressed me. Every young champion needs that tough hard won fight to make them better, and I think Dawson learned a lot from that fight. I especially like this fight because the article on ESPN.com I read about it said that Showtime is going to air this fight along with the (tape delay I think) Sam Peter vs. Vitali Klitschko fight from Germany. Thus, it should be a good night of non-PPV boxing!!
King Eugene
Tarver is a pretty good fighter to me. I dont like the fact he beat Jones but you got to give the man credit for everything he has done. Legend.........not in my book but the only thing he'll be remembered for in the next 20 years will be knocking out and ATG Roy. But I still take nothing from a good boxer and entertainer when I see one and Tarver is one.

This may sound funny but I want Tarver to beat Dawson but I swear it would make my night to see Tarver get Knocked Smooth Out!
buford54
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 4 2008, 05:35 PM) [snapback]403160[/snapback]
Ya'll know I'm a big Tarver fan..I like his style a lot..He has had some off days in the last year but he is going to get a KO or UD in the Dawson fight..He is going to bring his A game for this fight I think..Glen Johnson beat Dawson in my opinion..

Johnson is the 175 lb. Margarito for sure,I've always thought that..Johnson has more skill then Margarito though..Tarver did really put it to Johnson in the second fight even though he did fade some at the end but he threw A LOT of punches..Johnson is robbed of more fights than anyone and I don't understand it..

Tarver is a legend in my opinion,he has never lost to the same fighter more than once and always wins the rematch/rematches..He is no Ali or Ray Robinson by far but you all should know that he gets crazy excited on the mic and says things that aren't true..He also is very good at hyping fights up soo gotta give him credit for that..I want a B-Hop/Tarver rematch to show the fight was a fluke on Tarvers part(whether he wins or loses,he will look better)..

I think the "legend" title is a bit premature.
It's one thing to lose a close decision (which I thought he won) against Glen Johnson.
It's another to get dominated for every minute of every round against Bernard Hopkins.
His name will be remembered for beating Roy Jones...but there are a lot of fighters who never lost to the same guy more than once who are not legends.
Styles make fights, and I think Hopkins wins 9 out of 10 fights against Tarver, just on style alone.
Taver was able to outbox Johnson because Johnson was the aggressor.
He was able to bully Roy, because Roy likes to go to the ropes and lay there.
But against someone with more skill and better defense, I think he loses.

Bhopreign
I like listening to Tarver too, I think he is very funny. I dont think he actually believes some of the things he says also. I dont think he was himself against Hopkins, neither do I think Clinton Woods was himself against Tarver, but I think it was because of Tarver taking his heart basically. Against Hopkins I think Tarver wasnt there as much mentally, different than with Woods and Tarver.

Chad Dawson has bad footwork but thats mainly because he is a natural right hander. He hasnt perfected his footwork fighting southpaw as some who have converted from orthodox. Tarver will have to be at or near his best to win a decision to win and he probably wont win unless its by KO. I think Tarver being a natural southpaw will further exploit Dawson's footwork, if I see how bad it is, Im sure Tarver sees it, with himself being a natural left hander and he knows Dawson is converted to that stance. Still Id favor Dawson in this match with a 60/40 edge.
BigG
I believe Tarver was himself vs. Hopkins, he just couldn't get off. Hopkins beat him in a chess match..roughed him good.
Method
Glenn Johnson is NOT the Margarito of the Lt Hvy division. Nope. He's tenacious, ad has tons of heart, but his offensive arsenal and power is not in the same class as Margarito.

...and that's taking nothing from Glenn. I like him But he's limited.

I like Tarver over Dawson, and in fact, am gonna lay some money on Tarver.

I thought Glenn BEAT Dawson, and, if he had any power, he would have definitely ended it within the distance. This is where I think Tarver has the edge. He has the power to catch and stop Dawson.
BigG
Glenn Johnson is NOT the Margarito of the Lt Hvy division. Nope. He's tenacious, ad has tons of heart, but his offensive arsenal and power is not in the same class as Margarito.

I agree about the offensive arsenal but what I meant was, you're not going to hurt Glen and you're definitely not going to stop him from pressuring you. He is the toughest guy around his weight. The only way you stop him, IMO, is if you beat him up round after round and FORCE someone to step in to halt it (ala Hopkins). In fact, I don't think anyone has even buckled Glen since the Hopkins fight.
Method
Yeah, I hear you. I agree.

For whatever reason, I like Tarver's chances over Dawson.

I got money ona few different things this weekend, both boxing and football, so we'll see how things shape up, and then I will likely lock in something on Tarver by Sun night, and, depending if those odds widen, maybe lay a little more down the line. Not looking to go all in on it, but just a little something.
King Eugene
I want to see a both of them get knocked out but I highly doubt its going to be Tarver so I give him the knod in this one.
BoxingStill#1
I think its a toss up really,.....niether one has a real advantage over the other....makes for a good fight.....
D-MARV
Tarver is highly skilled!!!! He will outbox and out smart Chad Dawson. I wouldnt be surprised to see Tarver KO him.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 6 2008, 04:05 PM) [snapback]403346[/snapback]
Tarver is highly skilled!!!! He will outbox and out smart Chad Dawson. I wouldnt be surprised to see Tarver KO him.

It might be a little hard for him to outbox Dawson.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 6 2008, 03:05 PM) [snapback]403346[/snapback]

Ya hit the nail on the head..Tarver has wayyyy more skilled than Dawson..Not even comparable..Dawson is a lot younger and will throw more punches,but Tarver will be landing the bigger shots I think..Tarver has shown he can throw a lot of punches but it all depends on his game plan for this fight..With Johnson,he knew he would have to fight and with Roy,he knew he wouldn't have to fight at a furious rate..I pick Tarver by UD like I said,but Tarver does have a good chance for a KO..Tarver will not be KO'd,I know that..I don't see anyone KOing him..

Also,what could make anyone think Tarver was himself against Hopkins??
1)Tarver lost a lot of weight and think his body didn't respond well..2)I found out from a friend who knows Tarver that Tarver was partying with some football team a days or two before the fight(I really hate that he did that but I still like him)..
I think they need to have a rematch either way..I hate to make excuses for fighters but they are facts and can cause ya to not be yourself in the ring..
D-MARV
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 6 2008, 04:09 PM) [snapback]403347[/snapback]
It might be a little hard for him to outbox Dawson.

It "WILL" be hard for Tarver! I didnt say it will be easy but the old man can do it. Chad is good, but I think his chin will fail him. He was rocked in every fight he had against a good opponent. Tarver might very well be the hardest puncher Dawson has ever fought. Once Tarver lands flush, I see Dawson either curling up or being KTFO!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 6 2008, 06:00 PM) [snapback]403350[/snapback]
It "WILL" be hard for Tarver! I didnt say it will be easy but the old man can do it. Chad is good, but I think his chin will fail him. He was rocked in every fight he had against a good opponent. Tarver might very well be the hardest puncher Dawson has ever fought. Once Tarver lands flush, I see Dawson either curling up or being KTFO!

After seeing Khan getting flattened today I'm inclined to agree with you. I give fighters chins too much credit.
BigG
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 6 2008, 08:59 PM) [snapback]403348[/snapback]
Ya hit the nail on the head..Tarver has wayyyy more skilled than Dawson..Not even comparable..Dawson is a lot younger and will throw more punches,but Tarver will be landing the bigger shots I think..Tarver has shown he can throw a lot of punches but it all depends on his game plan for this fight..With Johnson,he knew he would have to fight and with Roy,he knew he wouldn't have to fight at a furious rate..I pick Tarver by UD like I said,but Tarver does have a good chance for a KO..Tarver will not be KO'd,I know that..I don't see anyone KOing him..

Also,what could make anyone think Tarver was himself against Hopkins??
1)Tarver lost a lot of weight and think his body didn't respond well..2)I found out from a friend who knows Tarver that Tarver was partying with some football team a days or two before the fight(I really hate that he did that but I still like him)..
I think they need to have a rematch either way..I hate to make excuses for fighters but they are facts and can cause ya to not be yourself in the ring..

I like Tarver but what an idiot if that's true. Oh well, he was raped in that fight. IMHO, big diff. in skill between Hopkins and Tarver. That wasn't even a "prime" Hopkins. A prime Bernard Hopkins (late 90's, before Tito fight) would have probably stopped Tarver.

I thought Tarver looked bad because he didn't know how to deal with Hopkins movement and skill.

D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 6 2008, 08:06 PM) [snapback]403377[/snapback]
I like Tarver but what an idiot if that's true. Oh well, he was raped in that fight. IMHO, big diff. in skill between Hopkins and Tarver. That wasn't even a "prime" Hopkins. A prime Bernard Hopkins (late 90's, before Tito fight) would have probably stopped Tarver.

I thought Tarver looked bad because he didn't know how to deal with Hopkins movement and skill.

I believe Tarver really just had a OFF night! He had to lose a lot of weight and he was coming off his little "Hollywood" stint!

Prime Tarver Vs Prime Hopkins would be a little more competitive but BHOP would still win!
BigG
Man, prime Hopkins would beat the unholy shit out of Tarver...I mean, if a 41 year old roughed him up, god knows what the animal of the late 90's would do..
D-MARV
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 6 2008, 09:03 PM) [snapback]403384[/snapback]
Man, prime Hopkins would beat the unholy shit out of Tarver...I mean, if a 41 year old roughed him up, god knows what the animal of the late 90's would do..

NO I dont buy that! Prime Hopkins was roughing up 160 lbers! Prime Tarver Vs Prime Hopkins would not be as one sided as you think! It would be a boring counter punching contest in which Hopkins would win but not by the margin he won in their 2006 fight!
The CEO
I'm thinking Tarver's gonna put it on Dawson....
dbdbdb
Tarver is sickening to say the least. thumbsdown_anim.gif

To constantly mention that he is a legend is outlandish and just plain, devoid of reality. His only claim to fame is his one-shot wonder fight with RJJ and I attribute that to RJJ just being careless. If you review Tarver's record {Which he is soo proud off} it doesn't reflect any outstanding characteristics, which would justify his claims to fame. Most of his TKO fights was at the Blue Horizon over stiffs. And when he finally started fighting 12 rounders, his record became less than stellar.

Tarver suffers from delusions of grandeur and even though he is entertaining at times, it is annoying to constantly hear someone distort their past.

I like Dawson in this fight, not because I despise Tarver, but because Dawson has the skillset, height and talent to walk Tarver down and shut him up. Dawson's record is alot more consistant than Tarver's and that consistancy will be evident when he beats Tarver.

Tarver is no legend, not even remotely close, and he doesn't have a past worth mentioning {With the exception of the one-shot wonder fight}.

Dawson has had an outstanding career soo far and it shows no signs that it will be derailed by any pretenders to the throne.
!
STEVENSKI
Old Milk Dud is back at it. Man that dude needs to hit the pipes again as he is delusional anyway. I only have two Tarver fights I have enjoyed anyway. One was when he KTFO Roid & that had a lot more to do with Roy getting caned than anything & when Hopkins put a whoopin on him.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Sep 7 2008, 11:41 AM) [snapback]403539[/snapback]
Tarver is sickening to say the least. thumbsdown_anim.gif

To constantly mention that he is a legend is outlandish and just plain, devoid of reality. His only claim to fame is his one-shot wonder fight with RJJ and I attribute that to RJJ just being careless. If you review Tarver's record {Which he is soo proud off} it doesn't reflect any outstanding characteristics, which would justify his claims to fame. Most of his TKO fights was at the Blue Horizon over stiffs. And when he finally started fighting 12 rounders, his record became less than stellar.

Tarver suffers from delusions of grandeur and even though he is entertaining at times, it is annoying to constantly hear someone distort their past.

I like Dawson in this fight, not because I despise Tarver, but because Dawson has the skillset, height and talent to walk Tarver down and shut him up. Dawson's record is alot more consistant than Tarver's and that consistancy will be evident when he beats Tarver.

Tarver is no legend, not even remotely close, and he doesn't have a past worth mentioning {With the exception of the one-shot wonder fight}.

Dawson has had an outstanding career soo far and it shows no signs that it will be derailed by any pretenders to the throne.
!

Claim to fame is a one shot wonder??Learn about Tarver and watch his fights,then come on here and tell us what ya think..You obviously don't know his career..How is Dawson's record more consisitant??Compare their records and you'll see Tarver has been fighting at the top level for most of his career..Eric Harding,RJ,Glen Johnson are 3 of the many names hes fought..Dawson lost to Johnson in my opinion easy..Everyone booed the fight afterwards too because of the horrible decision.Glen Johnson could be a legend himself had he not been ruled against in most of his fights..Like I said,Johnson gets robbed in most of his fights..
dbdbdb
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 8 2008, 06:13 PM) [snapback]403633[/snapback]
Claim to fame is a one shot wonder??Learn about Tarver and watch his fights,then come on here and tell us what ya think..You obviously don't know his career..How is Dawson's record more consisitant??Compare their records and you'll see Tarver has been fighting at the top level for most of his career..Eric Harding,RJ,Glen Johnson are 3 of the many names hes fought..Dawson lost to Johnson in my opinion easy..Everyone booed the fight afterwards too because of the horrible decision.Glen Johnson could be a legend himself had he not been ruled against in most of his fights..Like I said,Johnson gets robbed in most of his fights..

Dude!!!!

#1 - I grew up on the 1600 block of Glenwood ave {That's North Philly for the non-Philly people} And spent many nights at the blue horizon where I saw both B-Hop & Tarver when they were starting out. I don't get emotionally involved with Bullshit fighter's say. I go by the facts.

#2 - {Boxingrec is your friend} The few note-worthy names that Tarver fought would include: RJJ, Johnson, Griffin and recently B-Hop. {ALL FIGHTERS HE LOST TO!!!!!!} That is four good names at best!!!!! The rest didn't even make a name for themselves, or their careers were soo short, no-one even remembers them. HOW IS THAT A SUCH A GREAT {WORTHY OF LEGENDARY STATUS} RECORD WHEN YOU ONLY FOUGHT AT BEST FOUR!!!! TOP FIGHTERS & LOST TO EACH OF THEM ???????

#3 - Chad Dawson has has 26 fights. UD = NINE, KO\TKO = SEVENTEEN, ONE = NC
{*** COMPARE THAT RECORD TO TARVER'S ***}

Like I said before, I don't know on WHAT basis, people are claiming that Tarver is soo great. If he hadn't got lucky with the wonder punch {Tarver vs RJJ} no-one would even know who he is.

THAT IS HIS ONLY, ONLY, ONLY CLAIM TO FAME .......... PERIOD!!!!!!!!

****** I challenge you to name anything note-worthy that Tarver has accomplished without mentioning the RJJ fight. ******

That should be easy-work for a LEGENDARY FIGHTER ........ RIGHT?????

So, I'm waiting for the list of accomplishments. dntknw.gif

I did a quick stat on Dawson VS Tarver: You tell me who's record is the most CONSISTANT,

Chad Dawson has has 26 fights. UD = NINE, KO\TKO = SEVENTEEN, ONE = NC

Tarver 27 fights, UD = Six, KO\TKO = nineteen, MD = one, SD = one, Loss = 4
caneman
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Sep 8 2008, 06:48 PM) [snapback]403635[/snapback]
Dude!!!!

#1 - I grew up on the 1600 block of Glenwood ave {That's North Philly for the non-Philly people} And spent many nights at the blue horizon where I saw both B-Hop & Tarver when they were starting out. I don't get emotionally involved with Bullshit fighter's say. I go by the facts.

#2 - {Boxingrec is your friend} The few note-worthy names that Tarver fought would include: RJJ, Johnson, Griffin and recently B-Hop. {ALL FIGHTERS HE LOST TO!!!!!!} That is four good names at best!!!!! The rest didn't even make a name for themselves, or their careers were soo short, no-one even remembers them. HOW IS THAT A SUCH A GREAT {WORTHY OF LEGENDARY STATUS} RECORD WHEN YOU ONLY FOUGHT AT BEST FOUR!!!! TOP FIGHTERS & LOST TO EACH OF THEM ???????

Like I said before, I don't know on WHAT basis, people are claiming that Tarver is soo great. If he hadn't got lucky with the wonder punch {Tarver vs RJJ} no-one would even know who he is.

****** I challenge you to name anything note-worthy that Tarver has accomplished without mentioning the RJJ fight. ******

I did a quick stat on Dawson VS Tarver: You tell me who's record is the most CONSISTANT,

Oh, you are from Philly too homie? I knew there was something I liked about you! lol! Back on point though...no one is as impressed with Milk dud as he is ///thread He is a legend in his own mind! rolleyes.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Sep 8 2008, 06:13 PM) [snapback]403633[/snapback]

I don't think Johnson beat Dawson "easy". It was a close competitive fight and it appears that Dawson won most of the middle rounds and was always doing something even in the rounds where Johnson was landing bombs. Many people booed the decision because of Johnson's strong finish and because he was the symapthetic veteran against the young undefeated lion.
caneman
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 8 2008, 07:19 PM) [snapback]403637[/snapback]
I don't think Johnson beat Dawson "easy". It was a close competitive fight and it appears that Dawson won most of the middle rounds and was always doing something even in the rounds where Johnson was landing bombs. Many people booed the decision because of Johnson's strong finish and because he was the symapthetic veteran against the young undefeated lion.

I wasn't outraged but felt Johnson could have got the nod in that fight myself! I feel sorry for the next guy that has to fight Johnson, TOO BAD it won't be RJJ!
BigG
I had the fight a draw. No problem with Dawson winning 7-5 or 6-5-1. Johnson could have probably won by that margin. It was a great fight and like Caneman said I feel sorry for whoever has to fight old man Glen Johnson next.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Sep 8 2008, 05:48 PM) [snapback]403635[/snapback]
Dude!!!!

First off, Tarver never lost to Griffin. He beat him up for roughly every second of every round and even put him on his ass at the final bell. BUT I'll assume you meant to write Harding in that paragraph, who was a good fighter you didn't name and who Tarver also lost to.

The fact is, with the exception of BHop, who is a true ATG, Tarver has beaten every man he's ever faced. He lost to Harding and Roy but trounced them emPHATically in the rematches. With the exception of BHop, Tarver has beaten every man he's ever faced the last time he ever fought them. That says a lot, IMO.

As far as the consistency of their records, that's a weak argument you're using and you should know it. Dawson's got a nice little record but he's only now just starting to face true tests. He's faced two legitimate opponents in his career - legit at the stages of their careers when he faced them - Adamek and Johnson. Both guys had him on queer street at different points in their fights. I like Chad but that is a serious concern if you ask me. His chin is unproven. Against a big puncher like Tarver (who even his fiercest critics will acknowledge can punch) that is potentially very worrisome.

Look, I understand guys not liking Tarver or not rooting for him cause of his big mouth, but give the man his due. He HAS faced tough competition throughout his career. Aside from Roy, Hopkins, Glen & Harding (those 4 guys account for 8 fights, btw), he's also beaten Griffin, Reggie Johnson & Clinton Woods (I recall many on these boards picking Woods to beat him earlier this year). Tarver has never taken the easy road in his career and his record does reflects that. I wouldn't go so far as to call the man a legend myself like Blaze did, but I will say I feel he's been a consistently underrated and underappreciated fighter throughout his career.

And just to address this one little tidbit...I'm TIRED of people trying to disregard AT by saying ALL he did was KO Jones. Guess what? He KO'd Jones at a time when folks thought Jones was not KOable. At a time when Jones was undefeated and considered by some to be one of the greatest fighters to have evefr lived. And he didn't just KO Jones, did he? He took his heart forever, and even Roy's biggest boosters can't deny that fact. So even if that were ALL Tarver ever did, it'd be a hell of a lot.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Sep 9 2008, 11:21 AM) [snapback]403712[/snapback]
First off, Tarver never lost to Griffin. He beat him up for roughly every second of every round and even put him on his ass at the final bell. BUT I'll assume you meant to write Harding in that paragraph, who was a good fighter you didn't name and who Tarver also lost to.

The fact is, with the exception of BHop, who is a true ATG, Tarver has beaten every man he's ever faced. He lost to Harding and Roy but trounced them emPHATically in the rematches. With the exception of BHop, Tarver has beaten every man he's ever faced the last time he ever fought them. That says a lot, IMO.

As far as the consistency of their records, that's a weak argument you're using and you should know it. Dawson's got a nice little record but he's only now just starting to face true tests. He's faced two legitimate opponents in his career - legit at the stages of their careers when he faced them - Adamek and Johnson. Both guys had him on queer street at different points in their fights. I like Chad but that is a serious concern if you ask me. His chin is unproven. Against a big puncher like Tarver (who even his fiercest critics will acknowledge can punch) that is potentially very worrisome.

Look, I understand guys not liking Tarver or not rooting for him cause of his big mouth, but give the man his due. He HAS faced tough competition throughout his career. Aside from Roy, Hopkins, Glen & Harding (those 4 guys account for 8 fights, btw), he's also beaten Griffin, Reggie Johnson & Clinton Woods (I recall many on these boards picking Woods to beat him earlier this year). Tarver has never taken the easy road in his career and his record does reflects that. I wouldn't go so far as to call the man a legend myself like Blaze did, but I will say I feel he's been a consistently underrated and underappreciated fighter throughout his career.

And just to address this one little tidbit...I'm TIRED of people trying to disregard AT by saying ALL he did was KO Jones. Guess what? He KO'd Jones at a time when folks thought Jones was not KOable. At a time when Jones was undefeated and considered by some to be one of the greatest fighters to have evefr lived. And he didn't just KO Jones, did he? He took his heart forever, and even Roy's biggest boosters can't deny that fact. So even if that were ALL Tarver ever did, it'd be a hell of a lot.

Big Slim, I'm not saying that Tarver doesn't deserve credit for what he's accomplished, no matter how small. And he deserves credit for beating each man he lost to the second time around. And those EIGHT fights with FOUR opponents take a big chunk out of his 27 total fights.

But for people to constantly state that he's "GREAT and or a Legend" is ludicris. That's the thing I have a problem with. Tarver's constantly saying that BS and some people believe it without really understanding the accomplishments NEEDED to be considered as such. And a true Great\Legend doesn't ever have to state it himself, it is recognized by all of his peers.

Many people focus on the Tarver vs RJJ fight as the pivot point because few if any even knew who he was prior to the fight. And after that fight is when Tarver HIMSELF, started the BullShit-RAP that he was GREAT and a LEGEND. Everyone gives him his due for that KO accomplishment, but let's not get carried away. Being a one-shot-wonder doesn't make Tarver Great and it doesn't make him a Legend. If that was the case every fighter with an upset win would be in the Hall Of Fame.

The reason people, including myself, come down hard on Tarver is because prior to what happened in the SECOND RJJ fight .... GREAT nor LEGEND .... was even in his vocabulary, he didn't claim to be either.

Now after he knocked out RJJ, he's all that .......... PLEASE!!!!! thumbsdown_anim.gif

And yes, I meant to write Harding, not Griffin.
Big Slim Sweet
No, I don't consider Tarver a legend either. Just a very good fighter whose verbose personality turns off many fans to a degree that they unfairly don't want to acknowledge this.

I do however think that his KO of Roy Jones was a legendary moment in boxing history. I mean, I can remember sitting there on my couch with my mouth hanging open for what felt like an hour after I watched it. What are the all-time most memorable moments in boxing history? Tarver KO Jones has to be right up there with any of them.
hardhead
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Sep 9 2008, 04:52 PM) [snapback]403724[/snapback]
No, I don't consider Tarver a legend either. Just a very good fighter whose verbose personality turns off many fans to a degree that they unfairly don't want to acknowledge this.

I do however think that his KO of Roy Jones was a legendary moment in boxing history. I mean, I can remember sitting there on my couch with my mouth hanging open for what felt like an hour after I watched it. What are the all-time most memorable moments in boxing history? Tarver KO Jones has to be right up there with any of them.

Not just that but also the whole "got any excuses tonight Roy" I'm a Roy fan but I have to admit that was classic.
The Boxing Fan
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 6 2008, 09:03 PM) [snapback]403384[/snapback]

Tarver is like Iran Barkley. Besides beating Hearns twice, what the hell has he done. Johnson is a good fighter but not a great fighter. Eric harding, Well we see what that is a bout. No rematch for Harding because Tarver may get out hustled again. Jones and I guess Johnson are his only claims to fame.
D-MARV
Tarver is getting no love on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has a very "GOOD" resume.

Wins over RJJ (Legend), Glen Johson, Montell Griffin, Eric Harding, Clinton Woods is pretty damn good in my opinion.

TARVER HAS A BETTER RESUME THAN CHAD DAWSON!
BigG
I agree with DM.. Tarver has a very good resume and he is an underrated fighter..but Chad Dawson will win.
D-MARV
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 9 2008, 07:12 PM) [snapback]403752[/snapback]
I don't even like Jones, but that Jones that Tarver beat isn't the Jones people loved to hate previously. Different fighter.

Look, as good as Hopkins is, he doesn't trash too many fighters these days with his work rate and age, but even he made Tarver look like the mediocre fighter that he is. Didn't that put anything into perspective? None of the names on the list are really good, most of them are ok-decent.

Im usually not one of excuses but the Tarver that fought BHOP was not the Tarver we know! He was flat from round 1! Credit to BHOP, but Tarver had loss alot of weight to fight Hopkins. He was coming down from 220!

His punches were slow, weak and he seemed zapped every since the 1st round
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Sep 9 2008, 07:18 PM) [snapback]403753[/snapback]
Im usually not one of excuses but the Tarver that fought BHOP was not the Tarver we know! He was flat from round 1! Credit to BHOP, but Tarver had loss alot of weight to fight Hopkins. He was coming down from 220!

His punches were slow, weak and he seemed zapped every since the 1st round

And Roy had just come down from a solid 199 lbs when he met Tarver. Had Roy fought Tarver before moving to heavy none of us would be talking about milk dud right now. Face it, Tarver caught Roy @ just the right time....
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 9 2008, 06:25 PM) [snapback]403745[/snapback]
Tarver has beaten ok competition at best. His resume isn't good, it's ok.

On Point Fitz thumbsup_anim.gif

He has the type of resume that five years from now, people will only remember the night Tarver hit the jackpot and got lucky against RJJ.

QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 9 2008, 06:38 PM) [snapback]403748[/snapback]
Johnson only ever became a 'good' win to have on your resume when he beat Jones after Tarver got him. Think about that.

On Point again, Fitz thumbsup_anim.gif

All of these OK fighters {Tarver, Johnson} who got RJJ during his decline, became very good all of a sudden, because they could beat RJJ. Prior to their fights with RJJ ..... THEY COULDN'T PAY ANYONE TO EVEN MENTION THEIR NAMES.

QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 9 2008, 07:12 PM) [snapback]403752[/snapback]
I don't even like Jones, but that Jones that Tarver beat isn't the Jones people loved to hate previously. Different fighter.

Look, as good as Hopkins is, he doesn't trash too many fighters these days with his work rate and age, but even he made Tarver look like the mediocre fighter that he is. Didn't that put anything into perspective? None of the names on the list are really good, most of them are ok-decent.

Damn!!!! Fitz ..... I'm riding into the sunset with you tonight. fuck.gif
On Point again, Fitz thumbsup_anim.gif

RJJ had started to decline physically and technically after all the weight gain and weight lost. And father time was starting to catch up with him. He had already established Hall Of Fame status. Now all the cockroaches want to feed on a declining RJJ so that they can claim some props.

And I agree with you on the B-Hop fight ....... Tarver looked like the "OK fighter" he is .... Nothing spectacular from him since or before the RJJ fight.

But, I guess if you can beat a Legend on the last leg of their great career ...... That should at least make you GREAT.

That's the Tarver way of thinking thumbsdown_anim.gif

Hell, why don't Tarver find Ali and knock him out ...... I guess {In his own mind} that would qualify him to be in the Hall Of Fame and secure Legendary status.

What a Prick!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.