Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Carl Froch...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
Ok, I've been hearing about this Carl Froch character for a while now. He keeps calling fighters out and bashing a lot of fighters as well. I do know he's undefeated and I do know he is a Super Middleweight Champ, but other than that I know nothing else about it. Maybe its cause of my lack of knowing European boxing or maybe its because he hasn't really fought anybody. First he was calling out Calzaghe and now Kessler (which I'm not a fan of either) but neither is really taking him seriously. Hell he's bad mouthed other figthers as well but the only one he gives any credit to is Pavlick from what I've read in past interviews.

Whats the deal with him? Please inform me!!! He sounds like Margarito did before he beat Cotto (and please lets not make this a Margarito only topic). Is he one of those good hard nose fighters that everybody is ducking, avoiding, or just not taking serious like they "supposedly" did to Margarito or is a just another bum with a padded record thats looking to cash in on somebody?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 11 2008, 09:28 PM) [snapback]403926[/snapback]
Ok, I've been hearing about this Carl Froch character for a while now. He keeps calling fighters out and bashing a lot of fighters as well. I do know he's undefeated and I do know he is a Super Middleweight Champ, but other than that I know nothing else about it. Maybe its cause of my lack of knowing European boxing or maybe its because he hasn't really fought anybody. First he was calling out Calzaghe and now Kessler (which I'm not a fan of either) but neither is really taking him seriously. Hell he's bad mouthed other figthers as well but the only one he gives any credit to is Pavlick from what I've read in past interviews.

Whats the deal with him? Please inform me!!! He sounds like Margarito did before he beat Cotto (and please lets not make this a Margarito only topic). Is he one of those good hard nose fighters that everybody is ducking, avoiding, or just not taking serious like they "supposedly" did to Margarito or is a just another bum with a padded record thats looking to cash in on somebody?

The only name he has on his resume is a faded Robin Reid. I used to think he was a young prospect until I read in 2006 that he was in his late 20's I think. Either way the time to move is now, he has to fight a good fighter in order to make a name for himself and the 168 division is filled with them. Kinda like the welters.

Anyway, Margarito should really fight this year. I hope he doesn't squander his momentum like he did in 2005 after he bashed Cintron. Seriously why is he not fighting this year? 2 months is not enough to train? Come on now Antonio, you wanted the best, fight the best.
BigG
I don't really know who this guy is but he might as well fight Kessler
STEVENSKI
From what I have seen (not much) he is the goods but unproven. Maybe some of our UK brethren can enlighten us?
King Eugene
I wouldn't mind seeing how he would do against the likes of Taylor or Lacy.
Mean Mister Mustard
Speaking of Taylor, is he done? I can see his career now, he comes back, wins his first bout then takes on a decent supermiddle and loses followed by a retirement.
BigG
It would be crazy if he ended up retiring before Hopkins since HBO was treating Taylor as the Golden Boy a few years back who would be headlining PPV's and I bet they expected Hopkins to retire shortly after the Taylor fights and here he is still fighting EVERY top opponent around his weight. Incredible.
King Eugene
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 11 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]403942[/snapback]
Speaking of Taylor, is he done? I can see his career now, he comes back, wins his first bout then takes on a decent supermiddle and loses followed by a retirement.

Nah, he and Lacy is still scheduled for Nov. 15th
King Eugene
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 11 2008, 10:11 PM) [snapback]403943[/snapback]
It would be crazy if he ended up retiring before Hopkins since HBO was treating Taylor as the Golden Boy a few years back who would be headlining PPV's and I bet they expected Hopkins to retire shortly after the Taylor fights and here he is still fighting EVERY top opponent around his weight. Incredible.

Hopkins is a warrior!
stateofthegame
It was mandated for Froch to fight Taylor for the belt, but Dibella turned it down saying Carl Froch was a nobody and there was no money in the fight and that the money fight for Taylor was Lacy.
Blayde
Isnt Froch fighting Pascal now for the WBC title with the winner facing Taylor/Lacy?

From what Ive seen, Froch has a pretty big punch he tries to use unorthodoxely, often having his hands down and throwing shots from wild angles. Hes slow though and hes also taken some shots himself against Magee and Reid I think. Im not sure, but I think hes a really good fighter who will be a danger for anyone he faces but who will never be a ruler of the 168 division. I definitely favor him against Pascal though as Pascals defense seems to be his biggest weakness and he also looks pretty vulnerable.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE(3King3 @ Sep 11 2008, 10:01 PM) [snapback]403940[/snapback]
I wouldn't mind seeing how he would do against the likes of Taylor or Lacy.

Froch would kill Lacy and I think Taylor too..Froch has really good uppercuts and a good jab and straight right..I think he does need to work on defense some more but he is definitely better defensively than Margarito..Froch will have problems with good counter punchers since he does tend to leave himself open when he punches..He is smart in the sense he mixes up his attack a lot and goes to the body and head..He has pretty good speed too in my opinion..He is a video incase some of ya haven't seen him..

Froch
Maxy
I like Carl Froch but I just think his career is moving too slowly. He didn't turn pro until he was 25 - he's 31 now, so he should really be having the big fights. Taylors people apparently turned him down and to be honest I think they made the right decision because I feel Froch would beat him.

He's called out Calzaghe for years now but has never really been in a good bargaining poistion to face the Welshman. Now, of course, a Calzaghe fight is dead in the water.

I'd like to see how Froch would fare with a guy like Kessler before properly judging him though because his overall level of opposition hasn't been that impressive up until this point.
ROLL DEEP
Pretty much agree with Maxy.

He's a decent fighter I suppose....got good speed, excellent power, but questionable defence. He gets tagged and slowed down quite a bit.

I don't think he's WBA/WBC/IBF championship material.
blackbelt2003
Froch is a big hitter with a solid chin and good on top boxing ability, meaning his skills when he's attacking are good, but he neglects his defence.

So far, though, he's just walked through return shots and hasn't even been wobbled. Whether he can do this against a world level puncher remains to be seen.

But Froch does seem the type to revel in the big fight atmosphere. He keeps calling out the big names because he genuinely wants to fight them, not because he's a braggart after a payday. Nobody wants to fight him because he represents a high risk/low reward.

Finally, if he can bag the WBC belt against Pascal, it will offer him the bargaining tool he needs to get big fights. The only danger is that Froch sleepwalks through a fight against a good boxer, looking to land the pay-off punch and losing a decision in the process.

Black
JonnyBlaze
I'd really wanna see Froch against Allan Green or Kessler..Kessler/Froch would be the best fight to be made at super middleweight now..
gods son
i liked him..

But he has not proved himself on a world scale, and he does fight maybe once or twice a year which is weak!
What is the deal with Hennessey sports? Froch isn't getting any younger!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.